Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,053 members, 7,845,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

The Smell Of Dead Bodies-new Book Alert - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Smell Of Dead Bodies-new Book Alert (291 Views)

New Book By New Nairalander: Shattered! / Tomi Adeyemi Gets Hollywood Deal For New Book (kwenu) / Tomi Adesina Shares Pictures From The Signing And Reading Of Her New Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Smell Of Dead Bodies-new Book Alert by TylerWarr: 1:36am On Aug 14, 2022
Good readers of NL.

Specifically, those of us in love with reading fiction.

When was the last time you read a Nigerian short story and you enjoyed it?

Think about that for a minute. If your answer is "I can't remember," or "It's been a while," then I'm talking to you right now.

As most of you are aware, I'm a copywriter, but I also write fiction. In fact, I started writing fiction a long time before I even heard of copywriting.

This month, I achieved a lifelong goal, and I'd like to share it with you.

I published my first book:

A short story collection titled "The Smell of Dead Bodies."

Odd title, right?

Let me tell you the little story behind that title.

When I was 13, My neighborhood was rife with a lot of stealing and petty theft, the kind where people stole foodstuffs or mobile phones.

Many of these thieves were caught and burnt, often in very public places like road intersections. A justice system devised by the community in the absence of swift police response.

One day, on my way back home from school, I saw a corpse lying in the middle of the road, a thief burnt to a crisp, his skin blacker than the coals of Enugu and his teeth glaring in a deathly smile because the fire had burnt off his lips. I think he stole Garri.

Over the next three days, The body decomposed under the blazing sun, and the smell was horrendous.

Now Imagine a 13-year-old school kid who had to ply this particular road every day to get to school and imagine the terrible odor that school kid had to experience as he passed that road for a week.

I remember that corpse rotting on that road day after day till his hands fell over at the shoulders and his feet at the ankles. It was sickening.

The question I kept asking every day as I struggled to breathe on my journey to school was "Why is everyone acting like it's normal to have a dead decomposing body on this road and everyone's just skirting by?"

That experience led to the title and the core theme of this book: I poke holes in the hypocrisy of regular folks, and I tell dark stories about dark consequences. if you're a happy-ending kind of person, this is not for you.

but if you want to read stories that are wild but also super relatable and well-written, then THE SMELL OF DEAD BODIES is just what you need this weekend.

I want you to have the first 3 chapters of this book for FREE, and I want you to be the judge if this book is as awesome as I say it is.

Are you ready?

Click the link below to get 3 free chapters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Io16bw_1zpoi1quwmfMn4azh3qNgOKh8/view?usp=drivesdk

When you're done, don't forget to come back here and leave a review.

Don't say I did nothing for you.

Enjoy.

(1) (Reply)

The Healer - Feather's Stories / LGBTQ Writer Needd / Mine Alone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.