Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends (1873 Views)

Comic Artist Wanted / Cartoon, Caricature, Comic Artist Needed. / Whatsapp Group For Illustrators, Concept Artist And Comic Artist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:36am On Aug 16, 2022
I'm a 22 year old Finnish-Angolan artist looking for other artists to connect with regardless of their skill level or type of art they do, I'm just looking to make friends with good people that have common interests .

Hit me up if you're interested or let's chat in this thread.

I first started drawing at the age of 18 because I wanted to do visual storytelling, I have a lot to say through art.
At first I was aiming for animation but I got so comfortable with graphic novels as a format that I'm not too interested in doing animation myself although I do enjoy watching animation as I'm a big fan of cinema.

I've noticed that in Nigeria comic culture is basically a derivative of American comics and not like European.
European comics tend to focus more on the storytelling aspect and they're basically seen as illustrated novels hence the name graphic novel.
American comics focus mostly on trope based writing and its entertainment value while European comics are more character focused and put more emphasis on things like social commentary and exploring different concepts through visual storytelling.

I'd say that I'm mostly inspired by old school cinema and gonzo literature, I'm not so much inspired by comics because there aren't many that actually interest me but there are some that I really like.

Aside from my graphic novel project I also do graphic design such as concert posters as I'm also a musician, I've hosted free psychedelic rock concerts with my friends.
My works revolve around social commentary, the human condition, science fiction and psychedelia.
I consider myself more of a writer, drawing is just a tool for me that I use for storytelling.

My comic is a science fiction story about an alien who wakes up from an artificially induced coma in a post-colonial society on Mars established by earlier generations of aliens that had voyaged to Mars.

It has two main storylines, the story is very complex so I'm not going to get into it.
It's a very philosophical story about youth counterculture and finding meaning in an alienating society loosely based on my own life experiences and historical world events that I find fascinating.

My favourite aesthetic, 50s-60s retro futurism (both soviet and american) is an integral part of my comic's art style.

I draw only by hand, I use oldschool architect tools for drawing.
My drawing technique is very technical, I'd say that I'm good at drawing environments and different objects but my anatomy sucks and my ability to draw characters is way behind my technical skills but I'm constantly trying to improve.

Below are unfinished sketches of the first two pages from my comic, I don't post any finished works online:

3 Likes

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:37am On Aug 16, 2022
Some of my graphic design work, concert posters and a storefront decal for a pawn shop.
The pawn shop decal was digitalized and colourized by my friend but I made the overall design.

4 Likes

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:39am On Aug 16, 2022
Some concept art for my comic, some of these are old so they look wonky and not very good (especially the second one, it's old and especially the anatomy looks really bad).

I like designing, in fact I never draw from life, I only draw original designs that are inspired by real styles and take inspiration from already existing designs.

The cityscape is a quick design concept I did for retro-futuristic architecture.

1 Like

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:42am On Aug 16, 2022
Random page sketches from the comic.

Ignore the dialogue, these are just notes I wrote down.
The final text will be added when editing and colourizing.

1 Like

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:43am On Aug 16, 2022
More random pages from the comic.

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:44am On Aug 16, 2022
Character concepts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 1:45am On Aug 16, 2022
Random individual panels from the comic.

4 Likes

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Aidejay(m): 10:21am On Aug 16, 2022
Wow! Can I repost some of these?
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 4:50pm On Aug 16, 2022
Aidejay:
Wow! Can I repost some of these?

Sure, as long as you don't claim they're yours.

2 Likes

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 8:01am On Aug 19, 2022
Nobody?

Really?

I guess it's just graphic designers and job hunters here then.

1 Like

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by excell0001: 8:24am On Aug 21, 2022
send me a message omamistudios@gmail.com
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Emperordynasty: 3:48pm On Aug 29, 2022
Calvilman:
I'm a 22 year old Finnish-Angolan artist looking for other artists to connect with regardless of their skill level or type of art they do, I'm just looking to make friends with good people that have common interests .

I first started drawing at the age of 18 because I wanted to do visual storytelling, I have a lot to say through art.
At first I was aiming for animation but I got so comfortable with graphic novels as a format that I'm not too interested in doing animation myself although I do enjoy watching animation as I'm a big fan of cinema.

I've noticed that in Nigeria comic culture is basically a derivative of American comics and not like European.
European comics tend to focus more on the storytelling aspect and they're basically seen as illustrated novels hence the name graphic novel.
American comics focus mostly on trope based writing and its entertainment value while European comics are more character focused and put more emphasis on things like social commentary and exploring different concepts through visual storytelling.

I'd say that I'm mostly inspired by old school cinema and gonzo literature, I'm not so much inspired by comics because there aren't many that actually interest me but there are some that I really like.

Aside from my graphic novel project I also do graphic design such as concert posters as I'm also a musician, I've hosted free psychedelic rock concerts with my friends.
My works revolve around social commentary, the human condition, science fiction and psychedelia.
I consider myself more of a writer, drawing is just a tool for me that I use for storytelling.

My comic is a science fiction story about an alien who wakes up from an artificially induced coma in a post-colonial society on Mars established by earlier generations of aliens that had voyaged to Mars.

It has two main storylines, the story is very complex so I'm not going to get into it.
It's a very philosophical story about youth counterculture and finding meaning in an alienating society loosely based on my own life experiences and historical world events that I find fascinating.

My favourite aesthetic, 50s-60s retro futurism (both soviet and american) is an integral part of my comic's art style.

My drawing technique is very technical, I'd say that I'm good at drawing environments and different objects but my anatomy sucks and my ability to draw characters is way behind my technical skills but I'm constantly trying to improve.

Below are unfinished sketches of the first two pages from my comic, I don't post any finished works online:
Wow these are really great
I can’t believe you are just 22 .although u are a year older than me lol,
Buh seriously I actually followed your post on the travel section but I didn’t comment because it was already filled with a lot of people asking questions not related to the topic..
I’m actually a lover of cultures around the globe just like you

And surprisingly I’m also an illustrator and character designer you can check my profile to see some of my various threads with regards to some of my own stories and designs

And I must confess you draw really well, you art style reminds me of moebius
Here is my WhatsApp number to chat up if you want 08084968437

You can start with this illustrated story I wrote in the literature section,
The story is lit and i did some good art in it,though not as good as yours

https://www.nairaland.com/7236650/tales-ida-son-vidi-illustrated

1 Like

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 7:32am On Aug 31, 2022
Emperordynasty:

Wow these are really great
I can’t believe you are just 22 .although u are a year older than me lol,
Buh seriously I actually followed your post on the travel section but I didn’t comment because it was already filled with a lot of people asking questions not related to the topic..
I’m actually a lover of cultures around the globe just like you

And surprisingly I’m also an illustrator and character designer you can check my profile to see some of my various threads with regards to some of my own stories and designs

And I must confess you draw really well, you art style reminds me of moebius
Here is my WhatsApp number to chat up if you want 08084968437

You can start with this illustrated story I wrote in the literature section,
The story is lit and i did some good art in it,though not as good as yours

https://www.nairaland.com/7236650/tales-ida-son-vidi-illustrated

Cool, I'll message you on friday when I'll be back in finland
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Emperordynasty: 11:10am On Aug 31, 2022
Calvilman:

Oh okay safe journey on your trip
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Emperordynasty: 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2022
Calvilman:

Hope you’ve gotten to Finland, it’s saturday and i haven’t gotten your message, hope you safe and everything is ok

We can chat on here if you like
First I really want to know about how you developed such a kin special awareness in your landscape drawings
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 2:17pm On Sep 04, 2022
Emperordynasty:

Hope you’ve gotten to Finland, it’s saturday and i haven’t gotten your message, hope you safe and everything is ok

We can chat on here if you like
First I really want to know about how you developed such a kin special awareness in your landscape drawings

Sorry man, I've been really busy with work lately and I was actually jyst about to message you but I noticed your whatsapp didn't show up for some reason.
I would prefer whatsapp honestly, we can do calls too if you'd like.

When I first began learning I knew exactly what my main interests were in art and that was designs and accurate perspective.

Many art world people these days view rules and theory as restrictive because you're bound by certain rules but to me using realistic geometry to draw impossible things is what makes it so powerful, I feel kike restrictions are needed in art because that makes us find creative solutions when trying to visualize something while having to play by certai rules.

In storytelling I feel like mixing realism and cartoony styles makes the story and world more believable and immersive, I want the reader to feel like the environments on Mars that I draw would be places that could actually exist in some realm of reality.

I actually started learning through architectural drawing because for me storytelling is about building worlds and simulating reality.

I found old books at a library, in fact I didn't have access to internet for the first 6 months into drawing as I started out in complete isolation and I feel like that has impacted my work a lot because I wasn't really able to reference anything besides written text and what was in my memory.

At first I actually didn't have any art books so I had to figure out how things like perspective and proportikns worked, in a way I had to "invent" the art theory and I feel like that allowed me to really understand it and not just follow rules written in some book.

My anatomy is terrible though and not up to the same standard as perspective, composition etc. but I feel like it doesn't really matter all that much as long as it's plausible because my comic relies so heavily on dialogue and environments instead of character designs, bodily expressions and things like that.

For characters I put a lot of effort into facial expressions and realism when it comes to construction, the characters are aliens anyways so there's not really anatomy to learn for drawing them.

I like using indirect references for learning, for example for composition I didn't study comic composition but instead film cinematography because I feel like the ability to process information and shape it into a different medium is a skill of its own that I want to develop.

1 Like

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Emperordynasty: 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2022
Calvilman:

Sorry man, I've been really busy with work lately and I was actually jyst about to message you but I noticed your whatsapp didn't show up for some reason.

When I first began learning I knew exactly what my main interests were in art and that was designs and accurate perspective.

Many art world people these days view rules and theory as restrictive because you're bound by certain rules but to me using realistic geometry to draw impossible things is what makes it so powerful, I feel kike restrictions are needed in art because that makes us find creative solutions when trying to visualize something while having to play by certai rules.

In storytelling I feel like mixing realism and cartoony styles makes the story and world more believable and immersive, I want the reader to feel like the environments on Mars that I draw would be places that could actually exist in some realm of reality.

I actually started learning through architectural drawing because for me storytelling is about building worlds and simulating reality.

I found old books at a library, in fact I didn't have access to internet for the first 6 months into drawing as I started out in complete isolation and I feel like that has impacted my work a lot because I wasn't really able to reference anything besides written text and what was in my memory.

At first I actually didn't have any art books so I had to figure out how things like perspective and proportikns worked, in a way I had to "invent" the art theory and I feel like that allowed me to really understand it and not just follow rules written in some book.

My anatomy is terrible though and not up to the same standard as perspective, composition etc. but I feel like it doesn't really matter all that much as long as it's plausible because my comic relies so heavily on dialogue and environments instead of character designs, bodily expressions and things like that.

For characters I put a lot of effort into facial expressions and realism when it comes to construction, the characters are aliens anyways so there's not really anatomy to learn for drawing them.

I like using indirect references for learning, for example for composition I didn't study comic composition but instead film cinematography because I feel like the ability to process information and shape it into a different medium is a skill of its own that I want to develop.

Wow I don’t know what to say you must obviously have a lot of patience to grasp the use of perspective and world designs through the process you did
Plus your anatomy is not that bad ,infact it’s above average except you are strictly talking of human anatomy which in comics doesn’t really matter cuz you can warp it or stylize it to the taste of the comic genre you are creating whether its a super hero ,sci fi or horror comic,

In all I would say you have the right tools to do exactly what you aiming at which is science fiction..

I on the other hand was just binge drawing for the most of my life without any formal use of the rules that guide Art , except in my last 3 years in secondary school (what you call high school)
I stopped drawing totally to focus on my studies it was a big sacrifice but it paid of cuz my grades increased drastically proving to my family that I Could also do well in academics
it was until I went to an art school two years ago I began to see the beauty and use of the theories that guides art,
Although I was initially against the theories, cuz I find pride in my imaginative art style lol

I learnt a lot from those theories and it helped me grow,but sadly I just couldn’t continue cuz I believe unlike most artist I know , I’m an artist for art sake not for commercial reasons, cuz you see a large percent of
Artist I know are obsessed with graphite or charcoal potraits drawing not cuz they love the art style but because that’s what sells here and I for one hate this
I have only done less than 6 commissioned works in my life,I find this boring and so unimaginative for an artists

Not that I don’t want to make money , heck I want to be the Michelangelo of my time , the rich art genius obsessed with his works, but I feel I rather make a living doing the art that I actually love creating,lol that’s how the masters did it in the past
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Emperordynasty: 4:41pm On Sep 04, 2022
Calvilman:

About my contact it’s okay although I’m certain i gave you my correct WhatsApp contact but it doesn’t really matter here is fine by me , i guess it’s network problem we used to it here

And about the call I would love it, hopefully my house will get enough power to charge my phone lol, which we haven’t gotten in days I’m only online thanks to the solar panels we use lol, you may not understand what I’m talking about but it’s fine
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by CoconutMilk: 7:54am On Sep 05, 2022
Hi man. I could help with a handful of illustration. I do character designs mostly
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 8:00am On Sep 05, 2022
CoconutMilk:
Hi man. I could help with a handful of illustration. I do character designs mostly

Oh you got it all wrong I think.

This thread isn't an advert for anything, I'm just looking to chat with creative people about creative things.
I'm not looking to commission or be commissioned if that's what you're looking for.
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by yuncka: 12:58pm On Sep 05, 2022
Calvilman:
Some of my graphic design work, concert posters and a storefront decal for a pawn shop.
The pawn shop decal was digitalized and colourized by my friend but I made the overall design.

Nice....

I like your art style....It shows you are very patient with your process.

Connect with me via whatsapp (07031585509)... I might a few tips and advice to share with you.
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 7:47pm On Sep 06, 2022
yuncka:

Nice....

I like your art style....It shows you are very patient with your process.

Connect with me via whatsapp (07031585509)... I might a few tips and advice to share with you.

Are you an artist?
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by yuncka: 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2022
Calvilman:

Are you an artist?

Yes, I am an artist both in practice and in education.
I also teach people in my field.
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Kalous1(m): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2022
please is it possible for you to permit me to sculpt your concept in Zbrush(3d)
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Calvilman(m): 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2022
Kalous1:
please is it possible for you to permit me to sculpt your concept in Zbrush(3d)

I don't have anyhing against it but I'd like to know what you'd like to sculpt and why would you like to use my concept?

Thanks
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Riqueleme(m): 7:22am On Sep 11, 2022
Calvilman:

I'm an artist as well.
You can check my profile to see my Art Work as well..
Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by SuperOnyi: 11:42am On Dec 30, 2022
shocked

Ok.

So I just discovered your travel thread, and I love it and appreciate you for that - man, you're living my dream of traveling and learning about the cultures... Blablabla

This particular thread just motivated to go back to drawing again, I used to be obsessed, till Nigeria happened to me!

I'm so happy, there are young people like me with your mentality - I'm 20 anyway. Once I get financially stable, I'm traveling round Africa!

Thanks, Calvilman!

2 Likes

Re: Comic Artist Looking For Art Friends by Riqueleme(m): 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2022
Ok.

So I just discovered your travel thread, and I love it and appreciate you for that - man, you're living my dream of traveling and learning about the cultures... Blablabla

This particular thread just motivated to go back to drawing again, I used to be obsessed, till Nigeria happened to me!

I'm so happy, there are young people like me with your mentality - I'm 20 anyway. Once I get financially stable, I'm traveling round Africa!

Thanks, Calvilman!

You're welcome bro,
I Art cos I love what I do and I do get paid too.
And I sketch mostly during my leisure time cos I have something else I'm doing.
All the best for You Bro

(1) (Reply)

2d/3d/texture Artists,sound Efx,post Production And The Likes: It Is Time / Lolz... Check Out This Pot Of Indomie Cake (photo) / Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.