Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,563 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Foreign Turkeys Diary - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Foreign Turkeys Diary (3957 Views)

Day Old Foreign Turkeys Are For Sale In Ibadan / My Foreign Turkeys Refuse To Eat Nor Drink / 6 Weeks Foreign Turkeys Are For Sale In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2022
Hello readers, I welcome you as you follow me on this journey where I will be sharing update about my foreign turkeys, challenges and every step
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2022
Yesterday, 15/08/2022. I received my foreign turkeys, broilers and noilers.
12 turkeys
10 broilers
10 noilers
Lost a turkey and a noilers on transit
Expenses for the birds
12 turkeys @ #3200= #38,400
10 broilers @ #440= #4400
10 noilers @ #330= #3200
Transport (waybill)#1,000
Transport #1150
Total cost= #47,150
I plan to run on a budget of #150,000 max

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 1:59pm On Aug 16, 2022
Constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome

1 Like

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 2:21pm On Aug 16, 2022
There is a cripple among the broiler which I have to pay special attention to

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by LikeAking: 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2022
Where re d the turkeys?
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 2:45pm On Aug 16, 2022
I got them half bag of Ultima started,gave them miavit multivitamin.
I will place them on amoxicol antibiotics on day 2

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 2:51pm On Aug 16, 2022
LikeAking:
Where re d the turkeys?

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by LikeAking: 3:07pm On Aug 16, 2022
[quote author=Ineedajob4school post=115759987][/quote]

Wow!

Thanks..
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by todto: 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2022
Ineedajob4school:
I got them half bag of Ultima started,gave them miavit multivitamin.
I will place them on amoxicol antibiotics on day 2
How much did you buy the multivit
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 10:57am On Aug 17, 2022
todto:

How much did you buy the multivit

I bought it last year,#6500
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by ThatsONYI: 2:04pm On Aug 17, 2022
shocked

Following...

Really interested in agriculture, I plan to grow little by little with goat farming and poultry.
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2022
Day 2
I lost 2 of the foreign turkeys overnight,one happened past 12 midnight,the other happened around 5am(it might be the transport stress or stampede because there was a sudden light out.
So I will give them amoxicol antibiotics for 5days.
I stay on a farm in a rural area, without electricity, just a generator which we only use to pump water occasionally.
So I either use my phone flashlight to illuminate the brooding room or use a torchlight.
I bought a quarter bag of charcoal to provide heat,but from the look of things,I will still need to get at least half bag of charcoal
Total mortality:3

Update on expenses
12 turkeys @ #3200= #38,400
10 broilers @ #440= #4400
10 noilers @ #330= #3200
Transport (waybill)#1,000
Transport #1150
Charcoal #1200
2 torchlight @1000= #2000
Wood shavings #100
Syringe 2ml+5ml #100
Pos charges #100
Ultima feed half bag #4750
Transport #400
Total cost= #55,800

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 9:58pm On Aug 17, 2022
Turkeys are dumb birds and needs special attention. I checked their crops to check if they were eaten well,I found out they were drinking more of water than eating ,contrary to the broilers which are great eaters
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 10:10pm On Aug 17, 2022
I did a post mortem. Can anyone help with the diagnosis?

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 10:12pm On Aug 17, 2022
New feather replacing the fluffs

1 Like

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 10:18pm On Aug 17, 2022
The cripple always chirping and crying. The remaining birds trample on it, had to separate it from a turkey that attacked it.i would have loved to isolate it but I do not have a place to keep it.
From experience,it will end up a runt

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2022
Turkeys are aggressive birds, at Day 2 they have started attacking other birds. I can't imagine what will happen in the coming days. I have to start planning on how to separate them to prevent injuries or mortality due to pecking.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 10:29pm On Aug 17, 2022
ThatsONYI:
shocked

Following...

Really interested in agriculture, I plan to grow little by little with goat farming and poultry.
Goats
I have been through a lot because of this animals,they escaped from the farm twice,still searching for them, my leg is aching.
Goats don't do well in confined space,they are grazing animals. If your area is not safe, you better go for sheeps

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 5:25am On Aug 18, 2022
I have to stop using my phone to light up the room(thank goodness there was no visible damage),it fell face flat before I came back. There was a sudden light out, which means my phone flashlight can not be relies upon. I would have love to buy the lowest range of beebee jump or sunking solar system but I can't afford it for the foreseeable future. Please can anyone recommend a cheaper solar alternative even if it is just a lamp.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 5:36am On Aug 18, 2022
I went to charge one of the torchlight before I came back the shop owner had closed for the day,which left me with one torchlight and my phone flashlight.
Everything went smooth till 1:34am, i switched the torchlight for my phone flashlight,I missed a round which I was supposed to use to put charcoal in the coal pot to kindle the fire. The time space was up to 4hours,it happened because I used my phone to provide illumination so I couldn't hear the alarm ring because of the proximity of the brooding pen and my room. I am grateful there was no mortality.

I will continue with the amoxicol antibiotics for the 5 days interval

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by todto: 8:24am On Aug 18, 2022
Ineedajob4school:

I bought it last year,#6500
It is damn expensive, but it looks like something that will last for a very long time.
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by bayoshenko(m): 9:11am On Aug 18, 2022
Turkeys aren't actually dumb. They are just not as quick to understand things like chickens. You can get a rechargeable lamp that will be brighter to cover all the birds. Also because of the turkeys you will have to reduce the size of where you are brooding them to where at least half of the area will be warm. Placing the heater closer to a corner will make the area warmer but don't place it too close to the corner. About turkeys being aggressive, actually they aren't they are just curious birds they try to peck on everything but this act reduces with time. Endeavour to make sure that the turkeys are warm, try and get the rechargeable lamp because they need access to food for the first few days of life and separate the chicken from the turkeys after some weeks. I wish you good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 12:57pm On Aug 18, 2022
todto:

It is damn expensive, but it looks like something that will last for a very long time.
I find it cheaper on the long run, 1 liter is to 8000 liters of water
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2022
todto:

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 1:02pm On Aug 18, 2022
bayoshenko:
Turkeys aren't actually dumb. They are just not as quick to understand things like chickens. You can get a rechargeable lamp that will be brighter to cover all the birds. Also because of the turkeys you will have to reduce the size of where you are brooding them to where at least half of the area will be warm. Placing the heater closer to a corner will make the area warmer but don't place it too close to the corner. About turkeys being aggressive, actually they aren't they are just curious birds they try to peck on everything but this act reduces with time. Endeavour to make sure that the turkeys are warm, try and get the rechargeable lamp because they need access to food for the first few days of life and separate the chicken from the turkeys after some weeks. I wish you good luck.
Waow, thanks sir for the enlightenment
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2022
Day 3
I had to change the carton used for the bedding to prevent disease.
I will have to cull the crippled bird away from the stock.
Mortality
3 turkey
1 noilers
1 broiler (culled)
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by ThatsONYI: 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2022
Ineedajob4school:

Goats
I have been through a lot because of this animals,they escaped from the farm twice,still searching for them, my leg is aching.
Goats don't do well in confined space,they are grazing animals. If your area is not safe, you better go for sheeps

shocked

Saw your mention lately, got one already. But it's all good, thanks.

One of my next adventures would be poultry and maybe sheeps, "maybe" because the location is in the east.
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by ThatsONYI: 1:54pm On Aug 19, 2022
Ineedajob4school:
Day 3
I had to change the carton used for the bedding to prevent disease.
I will have to cull the crippled bird away from the stock.
Mortality
3 turkey
1 noilers
1 broiler (culled)

shocked

Brotha, any idea on poultry ("agric or local fowl"wink?
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Ineedajob4school: 7:36pm On Aug 19, 2022
ThatsONYI:

shocked

Brotha, any idea on poultry ("agric or local fowl"wink?
Yes, I have worked as an attendant, farm manager, currently working as a farm supervisor in a plantation farm. I have basic knowledge about some livestock, but I am mainly into poultry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by ThatsONYI: 3:03am On Aug 20, 2022
Ineedajob4school:

Yes, I have worked as an attendant, farm manager, currently working as a farm supervisor in a plantation farm. I have basic knowledge about some livestock, but I am mainly into poultry

shocked

Wow.

Beautiful thread btw.
Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by Debauhaus1990(m): 2:17pm On Aug 20, 2022
I wish you godspeed

1 Like

Re: Foreign Turkeys Diary by MrBONE2(m): 8:48am On Aug 21, 2022
You are doing great Bwana, keep up

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breedwell Feeds Ltd, A Subsidiary Of Sayed Farms / Nutritious Crayfish For Sale / Foreign Apple Seeds Grown From Seed Progression.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.