Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 (582 Views)

Ariwoola Kayode, CJN Was Born In 1954: Five Other Points To Note About Him / Kukah: Women Should Benefit From Quota System Not Mistresses Of Big Boys / Garba Shehu: Service Chiefs Will Remain As Far As Buhari Is Satisfied With Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by AfonjaFula: 11:34pm On Aug 16, 2022
This have being with me for months now, and I've insisted to share this to all seeing.

#Nocaption.
#Damn

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by AfonjaFula: 11:37pm On Aug 16, 2022
AfonjaFula:
This have being with me for months now, and I've insisted to share this to all seeing.

#Nocaption.
#Damn

They stopping me from posting screenshots
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by AfonjaFula: 11:37pm On Aug 16, 2022
AfonjaFula:

They stopping me from posting screenshots

Chikina, done. smiley
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by Fernandeswagger(m): 11:57pm On Aug 16, 2022
What's the name of this book?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by Softmirror: 11:58pm On Aug 16, 2022
QUOTA SYSTEM IS ALMOST EVERY WHERE, EVEN IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I DO NOT LIKE THE SYSTEM BECAUSE IT BREEDS MEDIOCRITY.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by GodsOwnMan: 2:14am On Aug 17, 2022
Softmirror:
QUOTA SYSTEM IS ALMOST EVERY WHERE, EVEN IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I DO NOT LIKE THE SYSTEM BECAUSE ITBREEDS MEDIOCRITY.

You forgot hundreds of years of quota systems in America that favors whites over non-whites.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by Jamiubond009(m): 5:10am On Aug 17, 2022
cheesy
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by AfonjaFula: 5:55am On Aug 17, 2022
Fernandeswagger:
What's the name of this book?

Philip Effiongs my Biafran story

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by DukeofUmueri247: 6:08am On Aug 17, 2022
We know all these while
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by MindHacker9009(m): 6:25am On Aug 17, 2022
drlateef:

Do you know that when Tafawa Balewa was Prime Minister of Nigeria;

Chief of Army Staff was from SE
Chief of Naval Staff was from SE
IG of Police was from SE
Chief of Defence Staff was from SE
Internal Affairs Minister SE
External Affairs Minister SE
Education Minister South SE
Many other key ministries to SE
Parliament President SE
Unilag VC from SE
The University of Ibadan VC from SE
https://www.nairaland.com/7105103/caused-marginalisation-igbos-nigeria#112418380

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by Fernandeswagger(m): 6:39am On Aug 17, 2022
AfonjaFula:

Philip Effiongs my Biafran story

Okay, thanks for the update.
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by stuffs4me(m): 8:41am On Aug 17, 2022
The story was written by a southerner with a biased mind against northerners.

The northerners had a different account of what happened at the time.

The British was trying to subjugate the Muslim north while favouring a Christian south but they had to re address the situation when they found out it was leading to disaster as the northerners had sensed the plot. Which explains why there were hardly any Muslim south being commissioned at the time.

cc: AfonjaFula

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by SU50: 9:39am On Aug 17, 2022
stuffs4me:
The story was written by a southerner with a biased mind towards northerners.

The British was trying to subjugate the Muslim north while favouring a Christian south but they had to re address the situation when they found out it was leading to disaster as the northerners had sensed the plot. Which explains why there were hardly any Muslim south being commissioned at the time.

Heard Sunusi at different forum saying that there were policies (documented) where the British didn't want to educate northerners till they shed their Islamic identity which northerners refused (part of the reason a lot of northern parents then used to equate western education as leaving Islam hence stopping their kids from acquiring it), it was what lead to the creation of MSSN (Muslim Student Society of Nigeria, where the founders were forced to drop their Islamic sounding names for western ones, they were denied admission into schools because they were muslims and a lot of their identity), it wasn't till a few years to independence that Sardauna and other northern leaders sensed the plot (hence he said at a point the north was not ready for independence then, its either independence is shifted forward or the north pulls of the union called Nigeria which the east and west fought as they had they headstart against the north in everything education and military, it was an opportunity for them to lord it over the north but eventually, independence had to be postponed to the chagrin of the two sides) after which Sardauna started a massive education and military drive all over the north, at a point it got to taking children forcefully away from parents who had that initial notion.

Nigerian history has always been about each side looking after its own interest, in some cases, the overall interest, whenever you hear on side(especially down south) crying foul, its very likely they just are not the ones in control.
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by stuffs4me(m): 10:08am On Aug 17, 2022
SU50:

Heard Sunusi at different forum saying that there were policies (documented) where the British didn't want to educate northerners till they shed their Islamic identity which northerners refused (part of the reason a lot of northern parents then used to equate western education as leaving Islam hence stopping their kids from acquiring it), it was what lead to the creation of MSSN (Muslim Student Society of Nigeria, where the founders were forced to drop their Islamic sounding names for western ones, they were denied admission into schools because they were muslims and a lot of their identity), it wasn't till a few years to independence that Sardauna and other northern leaders sensed the plot (hence he said at a point the north was not ready for independence then, its either independence is shifted forward or the north pulls of the union called Nigeria which the east and west fought as they had they headstart against the north in everything education and military, it was an opportunity for them to lord it over the north but eventually, independence had to be postponed to the chagrin of the two sides) after which Sardauna started a massive education and military drive all over the north, at a point it got to taking children forcefully away from parents who had that initial notion.

Nigerian history has always been about each side looking after its own interest, in some cases, the overall interest, whenever you hear on side(especially down south) crying foul, its very likely they just are not the ones in control.

You are very correct. Southerners (particularly YEEBOS) only complain when they are not the ones benefiting from injustice.

The British were so anti-Islamic to point of not giving admissions to pupils with Muslim names except of they would convert to Christians.

Some of my uncles uncles had terrible stories to tell of how they were beaten and given all sorts of corporal punishments just because they still remained Muslims while in secondary school.
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by AfonjaFula: 2:24pm On Aug 17, 2022
[quote author=MindHacker9009 post=115778172][/quote]

So was Murtala the one that made the Igbos all of this, or was it a privilege?
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by AfonjaFula: 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2022
stuffs4me:
The story was written by a southerner with a biased mind against northerners.

Must say, this my first of ever viewing this point, but I disagree with instances of Tafawa Belewa, hence, the PM would had being given to a southerner (Azikiwe/Awo)
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by olisaEze(m): 2:30pm On Aug 17, 2022
undecided
Re: Nigeria Origin Of Quota System Assistance As Far Back As 1954 by Racoon(m): 2:38pm On Aug 17, 2022
Then, the British used merit to admit cadets for officer training hence most of the northern soldiers couldn't meet up with the requirements.

But towards the twilight of British rule & immediate post independence era, the Northern controlled NPC government seized the opportunity to introduce the skewed & defective quota system to enable them force some of their own into the officer Corps.

Majority of these clique were the post July 1966 counter-coup plotter that will go on to dominate the politico-military space till date and bastardized the polity some more.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Will Vote For Tinubu So That He Will Make Me LG Chairman In Oyo State / Omokri, A Sultan Of Nothern Ibos / Muslim Muslim Ticket: Dogara Tags Lalong A Coward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.