Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? (1300 Views)

A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding / Why Are Things Going Bad For Me. / It Really Hard Being An Introvert. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by drmikeadams(m): 1:39pm On Aug 17, 2022
People still going abroad for medical checks
People still running generators over night
People still sowing big seeds in Church
People still paying olosho big funds for Toto
People still clubbing every weekend
People still flooding shoprite like them going to heaven.
People still filling up beer parlors chopping nkwobi.
People still buying and driving fancy cars
People still contributing daily to bet9ja
People still giving birth
People still voting for APC come 2023.../

Now can we still say things are bad in naija grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Mindlog: 1:44pm On Aug 17, 2022
Things are really hard for overwhelming majority. angry

8 Likes

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Shagbatshagba: 1:44pm On Aug 17, 2022
does ur questions really deserve an answer?
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by ajekpaks(m): 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2022
All those things you mentioned are done by less than 10 percent of the population...

8 Likes

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by drmikeadams(m): 2:22pm On Aug 17, 2022
ajekpaks:
All those things you mentioned are done by less than 10 percent of the population...

.oh okay
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 17, 2022
Na rich people dey do wetin u mention ooo, go poor environment make u see, na there u go know the real meaning of sapa. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 2:56pm On Aug 17, 2022
Most times,I doubt this too.
Now as someone who has been to and worked in other third world countries,most times when Nigerians complain of hardship, I always find it hard to believe.
First;
Inflation of consumer goods rarely affect sales in this country.RARELY!
Luxury capital of subsaharan Africa(asides SA) is this country.Luxury goods sell here more than anywhere else(I'm in the trade so I know) on this part of the continent.
Haughty and larger than life behaviours and benchmarks across all classes of it's citizens,especially the supposed middle class.Girls and boys setting up unrealistic standards for themselves and somehow they manage to do it and continue in that light for extended periods of time.
How then do they fund it if the country is as bad as they claim? undecided
Average working class,mid income girls wearing $600 Valentino flip-flops anyhow .
Watch how they'll rush iPhone 14 when it comes out.
I no dey believe them again honestly.
Not forgetting how they go to vacations frequently .
If the country is so terrible how do they fund all these?
If you say they have benefactors,where do the benefactors also get it from to fund them to the extent of middle aged men buying houses for girlfriends in posh areas? undecided
Not also forgetting the booming real estate market all around the country?
Who are those buying these houses without credit?
What poor people do to acquire houses is they buy land first,then use 10-20 years building the house in bits.
But look everywhere,realestate firms are bulk building and retailing real estate like sweets in many parts of the country and have buyers that are paying cash for it with zero credit ,even in shithole Enugu! of recent.
So why should I believe Nigerians are as poor as they claim?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by drmikeadams(m): 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2022
SeaTrade:
Most times,I doubt this too.
Now as someone who has been to and worked in other third world countries,most times when Nigerians complain of hardship, I always find it hard to believe.
First;
Inflation of consumer goods rarely affect sales in this country.RARELY!
Luxury capital of subsaharan Africa(asides SA) is this country.Luxury goods sell here more than anywhere else(I'm in the trade so I know) on this part of the continent.
Haughty and larger than life behaviours and benchmarks across all classes of it's citizens,especially the supposed middle class.Girls and boys setting up unrealistic standards for themselves and somehow they manage to do it and continue in that light for extended periods of time.
How then do they fund it if the country is as bad as they claim? undecided
Average working class,mid income girls wearing $600 Valentino flip-flops anyhow .
Watch how they'll rush iPhone 14 when it comes out.
I no dey believe them again honestly.
Not forgetting how they go to vacations frequently .
If the country is so terrible how do they fund all these?
If you say they have benefactors,where do the benefactors also get it from to fund them to the extent of middle aged men buying houses for girlfriends in posh areas? undecided

Thank you.. U understand me grin

1 Like

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 3:09pm On Aug 17, 2022
drmikeadams:

Thank you.. U understand me grin
I know,I have been asking myself this question for a long time too.
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 3:10pm On Aug 17, 2022
Beebah2000:
Na rich people dey do wetin u mention ooo, go poor environment make u see, na there u go know the real meaning of sapa. cheesy
Will you call someone on a 500k/mo gross rich?
If not,why are they the ones doing all these?
How are they funding these lifestyles on a regular?
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by emmaodet: 4:20pm On Aug 17, 2022
SeaTrade:

I believe heavy stealing at place of work.
Bro, there is high stealing and corruption in both the corporate organizations and government jobs.
It is only the jobless and private business owners who are mostly struggling.
On paper, I can say that I earn the most salary per month in my church but my fellow church members who are earning 300/350k per month are buying brand new cars, I mean brand new cars, buying properties, funding expensive lifestyles with numerous gfs.
The one that even baffles me is the one earning a meagre 70k per month with coscharis, logistic manager in charge of bus movement and fueling.
He bought his second car for this year as at April when I was at home.
Just April oooooo. Within 4 months 2 cars. A keep and a sienna for his wife while me I still they struggle with my tuke-tuke wey I don dey use since early last year.
Dem dey even dey make me they look like an idiot sef.
Nigerians wey go go heaven no go many. Walahi….dat one me I know because there is heavyyyyyyy stealing, manipulation of receipts and forgery of signatures at place of work.
People like us wey no dey management position na labu (laborer) na him we be.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Zidoh(m): 4:21pm On Aug 17, 2022
Normally Nigerians are hypocrites .....you will hardly hear them telling you truth.

2 Likes

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 4:26pm On Aug 17, 2022
emmaodet:

Bro, there is high stealing and corruption in both the corporate organizations and government jobs.
On paper, I can say that I earn the most salary per month in my church but my fellow church members who are earning 300/350k per month are buying brand new cars, I mean brand new cars, buying properties, funding expensive lifestyles with numerous gfs.
The one that even baffles me is the one earning a meagre 70k per month with coscharis, logistic manager in charge of bus movement and fueling.
Just April oooooo. Within 4 months 2 cars. A keep and a sienna for his wife while me I still they struggle with my tuke-tuke wey I don dey use since early last year.
Nigerians wey go go heaven no go many. Walahi….dat one me I know because there is heavyyyyyyy stealing, manipulation of receipts and forgery of signatures at place of work.
I can understand, na sharp practices dey lead this country.
But one has to be in a big company for all these to go unnoticed sha.

2 Likes

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by temi4fash(m): 5:01pm On Aug 17, 2022
emmaodet:

Baba No be lie.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by WhiteIverson: 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2022
I can't say about we the youths but some older people have mad profitable investments. I was opportuned to visit a fish farm. The owner has multiple ponds with over 60k fishes(catfish). He allows them to grow for 8 months-a year and sells at an average of 1500-2000 per fish. Budget for feeding is about 8m or even less because he uses foreign feed for only the first 3 months and then makes local feed for them for the remaining months. If you sell 60k fishes at a rate of 1500, you get 90 million. Minus feeding and other expenses, at least you have 65 million for yourself. The man said if I have 100k, he can give me a small pond that can contain 2500 fishes, he gives me feed and when I sell, I will just settle him feeding expenses. The 100k is to use and buy fingerlings i.e 6-8 weeks old fishes. Na 100k I dey find aggresively but no hope yet.

2 Likes

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2022
WhiteIverson:
I can't say about we the youths but some older people have mad profitable investments. I was opportuned to visit a fish farm. The owner has multiple ponds with over 60k fishes(catfish). He allows them to grow for 8 months-a year and sells at an average of 1500-2000 per fish. Budget for feeding is about 8m or even less because he uses foreign feed for only the first 3 months and then makes local feed for them for the remaining months. If you sell 60k fishes at a rate of 1500, you get 90 million. Minus feeding and other expenses, at least you have 65 million for yourself. The man said if I have 100k, he can give me a small pond that can contain 2500 fishes, he gives me feed and when I sell, I will just settle him feeding expenses. The 100k is to use and buy fingerlings i.e 6-8 weeks old fishes. Na 100k I dey find aggresively but no hope yet.
If the business was as profitable and direct as you think,the man won't give you space I his farm so you can pay him 100k and feeding expenses when he can grow the fish himself and make more profits on that space he wants to give you.
No profitable business gives out space(very vital) when they should be looking at getting more space to maximise yield/profits.
Business isn't as direct as you think.
When i see you pressing calculator anyhow I just laugh.
Funny thing is that business might be running at a loss and that man will be very glad to sell it off and cut his losses as very evident as e don dey want do to you to buy a 100k stake.
Business hard eh my bro grin

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Arsenate(m): 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2022
All you listed are done by like 10-20 % of the population (20-40 million people, i.e), generous estimate. Still leaves more than 150 million people struggling to get by.

Things are very difficult for most Nigerians.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 17, 2022
SeaTrade:
person don answer u sef grin

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by WhiteIverson: 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2022
SeaTrade:
If the business was as profitable and direct as you think,the man won't give you space I his farm so you can pay him 100k and feeding expenses when he can grow the fish himself and make more profits on that space he wants to give you.
No profitable business gives out space(very vital) when they should be looking at getting more space to maximise yield/profits.
When i see you pressing calculator anyhow I just laugh. grin
I get your point. The man suggested the idea to me so I can understand the basics of the business and also learn the ropes. The man is someone I relate with well and i've known him for quite a while only that i'm visiting the farm for the first time. I'm sure he can afford to give me fishes for free but probably charged me to see my willingness. As you rightly said, there is a high risk of loss. In his words "you can succeed in this business if you have strong mind".
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by emmaodet: 9:33pm On Aug 17, 2022
SeaTrade:
When i see you pressing calculator anyhow I just laugh.
Funny thing is that business might be running at a loss and that man will be very glad to sell it off and cut his losses as very evident as e don dey want do to you to buy a 100k stake.
Business hard eh my bro grin

My brotherrrrrrrer

Business no easy ooooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by emmanuelbrown26: 9:51pm On Aug 17, 2022
See as una dey comfort of una House conclude. U rate richness of a country by an average, so going by an average Nigerian, I will say Nigerians are really suffering and starved.
If I tell u that people can't accord ACT drug of 500 u won't believe.
See, as somebody that's into field work, an average Nigerian is suffering,wait self, wwhy do we hv much loan sharks dis day?
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Lima98(f): 10:31am On Sep 19, 2022
drmikeadams:
People still going abroad for medical checks
People still running generators over night
People still sowing big seeds in Church
People still paying olosho big funds for Toto
People still clubbing every weekend
People still flooding shoprite like them going to heaven.
People still filling up beer parlors chopping nkwobi.
People still buying and driving fancy cars
People still contributing daily to bet9ja
People still giving birth
People still voting for APC come 2023.../

Now can we still say things are bad in naija grin
things are hard over hardself
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by anthonyuncle(m): 7:57am On Sep 20, 2022
drmikeadams

SeaTrade

you both sound like you are not in this country
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 8:15am On Sep 20, 2022
anthonyuncle:
drmikeadams

SeaTrade

you both sound like you are not in this country
I am oo.
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by oluwaseyi0: 8:18am On Sep 20, 2022
WhiteIverson:
Same fish business that someone bobo my friend to do and my friend is crying fire now

You don't account for hundreds if not thousands of fish that will die for no just cause

Some fish will refuse to grow, even my uncle that is fairly rich later abandoned his posh fish pond

No business is as easy as it seems, not even fish farming that I know of, I didn't say they are not making money but you better have enough money to burn first

Back to the main topic, things are actually not as hard as Nigerian paints them especially in the south, we still find a way to forge ahead
Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by SeaTrade(m): 8:37am On Sep 20, 2022
oluwaseyi0:

Same fish business that someone bobo my friend to do and my friend is crying fire now

You don't account for hundreds if not thousands of fish that will die for no just cause

Some fish will refuse to grow, even my uncle that is fairly rich later abandoned his posh fish pond

No business is as easy as it seems, not even fish farming that I know of, I didn't say they are not making money but you better have enough money to burn first

Back to the main topic, things are actually not as hard as Nigerian paints them especially in the south, we still find a way to forge ahead
Anything agriculture, my hand no dey.
I can engage in the downstream agriculture valuechain(trading agric commodities) but will never attempt the upstream parts(producing).
Had some friends wanting us to join resources and go buy a vineyard in SA,i no answer them till date.
Leave farming for corporations and industrial scale farmers jarey,I you're hoping to make a big break from it then know the odds are 90% against you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Things Really Hard In Naija?? by Allison012: 9:05am On Sep 20, 2022
Thing are not really hard as we think sincerely.

A house girl earning 20k/month recently bought a phone of 105k and if you see her, she looks like someone earning 200k.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is That If You Give Women Too Much Freedom, They Abuse It / Who Is A Mother? / Do you think its Right to Kill?here are Circumstances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.