Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,454 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Is Islam Technology Averse? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Islam Technology Averse? (650 Views)

Is "Islam Means Peace" An Irony? Picture Prove / Is Islam God Only Understand Arabic / What Exactly Is Islam? And Who Are Muslims? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Islam Technology Averse? by bushjeph: 11:46am On Aug 19, 2022
Greetings everyone! I have for a long period of time pondered on this fact and even researched upon it and have decided to throw the question to thinkers here: Is Islam technology averse and why? To clarify further even as we contribute to the topic Imagine how much development that is happening all over the world then compare that index with every country that are majorly muslims to see the difference in acceptance of development and disruptive ideas and technologies.
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:12pm On Aug 19, 2022
On the contrary Islam supports technology but there's just one problem affecting Muslims in all the nations throughout the world: POLITICS!
Apart from true CHRISTIANITY Islam supposed to have been the most tolerable religion on this planet but unlike CHRIST who discouraged his followers from participation in the world's political affairs {John 15:19} Muhammad got lost due to lack of divine wisdom.

According to Christ, his disciples have to go to all the nations of the earth and make disciples of people {Matthew 28:19} they must teach them all the things he commanded {Matthew 28:20} this makes it really difficult for people who claims they're his followers to agree on the same line of thought regarding POLITICS since the founder of the movement never participated in any political movement. This is the key that will open the door to LOVE among Jesus' disciples throughout the earth unlike the followers of Muhammad who will kill one another in the face of politics and racism!

This is the same reason why most Muslims will kick against anything that stands in the way for Islam not to take control even if such concept will bring technological advancement an average Muslim will turn his back on it as long as it undermines Islamic rule! smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by RealLordZeus(m): 12:22pm On Aug 19, 2022
Greetings everyone! I have for a long period of time pondered on this fact and even researched upon it
How can you research and still type the above... may be you are using tecno m3 sha..

Almost one third of the Quran is devoted to the praise of scientific knowledge, objective inquiry and serious study of the material world. ‘Acquire the knowledge of all things’, the Quran advises its readers; and pray: ‘God increase me in my knowledge’. One of the most frequently cited verses of the Quran reads: “Surely in the heavens and earth there are signs for the believers; and in your creation, and the crawling things He scatters abroad, there are signs for a people having sure faith, and in the alternation of night and day, and the provision God sends down from heaven, and therewith revives the earth after it is dead, and the turning about of the winds, there are signs for a people who understand” (45:3-5).

1. Surgery

Around the year 1,000, the celebrated doctor Al Zahrawi published a 1,500 page illustrated encyclopedia of surgery that was used in Europe as a medical reference for the next 500 years. Among his many inventions, Zahrawi discovered the use of dissolving cat gut to stitch wounds -- beforehand a second surgery had to be performed to remove sutures. He also reportedly performed the first caesarean operation and created the first pair of forceps.

2. Coffee

Now the Western world's drink du jour, coffee was first brewed in Yemen around the 9th century. In its earliest days, coffee helped Sufis stay up during late nights of devotion. Later brought to Cairo by a group of students, the coffee buzz soon caught on around the empire. By the 13th century it reached Turkey, but not until the 16th century did the beans start boiling in Europe, brought to Italy by a Venetian trader.

3. Flying machine

"Abbas ibn Firnas was the first person to make a real attempt to construct a flying machine and fly," said Hassani. In the 9th century he designed a winged apparatus, roughly resembling a bird costume. In his most famous trial near Cordoba in Spain, Firnas flew upward for a few moments, before falling to the ground and partially breaking his back. His designs would undoubtedly have been an inspiration for famed Italian artist and inventor Leonardo da Vinci's hundreds of years later, said Hassani.

4. University

In 859 a young princess named Fatima al-Firhi founded the first degree-granting university in Fez, Morocco. Her sister Miriam founded an adjacent mosque and together the complex became the al-Qarawiyyin Mosque and University. Still operating almost 1,200 years later, Hassani says he hopes the center will remind people that learning is at the core of the Islamic tradition and that the story of the al-Firhi sisters will inspire young Muslim women around the world today.

5. Algebra

The word algebra comes from the title of a Persian mathematician's famous 9th century treatise "Kitab al-Jabr Wa l-Mugabala" which translates roughly as "The Book of Reasoning and Balancing." Built on the roots of Greek and Hindu systems, the new algebraic order was a unifying system for rational numbers, irrational numbers and geometrical magnitudes. The same mathematician, Al-Khwarizmi, was also the first to introduce the concept of raising a number to a power.

6. Optics

"Many of the most important advances in the study of optics come from the Muslim world," says Hassani. Around the year 1000 Ibn al-Haitham proved that humans see objects by light reflecting off of them and entering the eye, dismissing Euclid and Ptolemy's theories that light was emitted from the eye itself. This great Muslim physicist also discovered the camera obscura phenomenon, which explains how the eye sees images upright due to the connection between the optic nerve and the brain.

7. Music

Muslim musicians have had a profound impact on Europe, dating back to Charlemagne tried to compete with the music of Baghdad and Cordoba, according to Hassani. Among many instruments that arrived in Europe through the Middle East are the lute and the rahab, an ancestor of the violin. Modern musical scales are also said to derive from the Arabic alphabet.

8. Toothbrush

According to Hassani, the Prophet Mohammed popularized the use of the first toothbrush in around 600. Using a twig from the Meswak tree, he cleaned his teeth and freshened his breath. Substances similar to Meswak are usedin modern toothpaste.

9. The crank

Many of the basics of modern automatics were first put to use in the Muslim world, including the revolutionary crank-connecting rod system. By converting rotary motion to linear motion, the crank enables the lifting of heavy objects with relative ease. This technology, discovered by Al-Jazari in the 12th century, exploded across the globe, leading to everything from the bicycle to the internal combustion engine.

10. Hospitals

"Hospitals as we know them today, with wards and teaching centers, come from 9th century Egypt," explained Hassani. The first such medical center was the Ahmad ibn Tulun Hospital, founded in 872 in Cairo. Tulun hospital provided free care for anyone who needed it -- a policy based on the Muslim tradition of caring for all who are sick. From Cairo, such hospitals spread around the Muslim world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by RealLordZeus(m): 12:26pm On Aug 19, 2022
https://islam.fandom.com/wiki/Inventions_in_the_modern_Islamic_world

You can also go through here for modern technology advancement from the Islamic world
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 2:32pm On Aug 19, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

This is the same reason why most Muslims will kick against anything that stands in the way for Islam not to take control even if such concept will bring technological advancement an average Muslim will turn his back on it as long as it undermines Islamic rule!

Did you fail to notice the op was asking about Islam and not individual Moslems?

There are many Christians who are science averse but we'd be ignorant to claim that aversion extends to Christianity even if historically true.
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:43pm On Aug 19, 2022
budaatum:

Did you fail to notice the op was asking about Islam and not individual Moslems?
There are many Christians who are science averse but we'd be ignorant to claim that aversion extends to Christianity even if historically true.
Moslems have no problem if not Islam itself!
The religion is 80% political hence there's no way a right thinking person can practice Islam without supporting POLITICS! undecided
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Moslems have no problem if not Islam itself!
The religion is 80% political hence there's no way a right thinking person can practice Islam without supporting POLITICS! undecided

First, I hope you are conscious of the fact that your statement above is you practising politics?

All religions are political to one extent or the other so I don't see your point nor where you dug out your imaginary 80% from. And there are many Muslims who know absolutely nothing about politics just as there are in all religions.

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by bushjeph: 4:28pm On Aug 19, 2022
budaatum:

thank you for clarifying. Exactly my point, regards to modern Islam in general they are not forward thinking
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2022
budaatum:

First, I hope you are conscious of the fact that your statement above is you practising politics?
All religions are political to one extent or the other so I don't see your point nor where you dug out your imaginary 80% from. And there are many Muslims who know absolutely nothing about politics just as there are in all religions.
Now this is what i meant when i say:
"POLITICS"

Islam is all about how to carry everyone in their neighbourhood along with the policies of Islam, so if you're eating during their fasting period no Muslim will look at you with eyes of approval because they believe it's you that will disturb their prayers during the time their God opened his harms to bless their community.
When you as a female leaves your head uncovered no Muslim will approve your outlook as your hair is bringing a curse to their society, these are the things that moves all Muslims to support the move when fanatics among them decides to islamise your community.
So it's not that they're all into politics practically but the religion has been the major reason why they always fall for the bait when politicians use motivational speeches to woo them! smiley
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 12:36am On Aug 20, 2022
If you had Muslims in your neighbourhood and community and family you'd know better than to write this rubbish which many on here would claim is a description of Jehova Witnesses.

MaxInDHouse:

Now this is what i meant when i say:
"POLITICS"

Islam is all about how to carry everyone in their neighbourhood along with the policies of Islam, so if you're eating during their fasting period no Muslim will look at you with eyes of approval because they believe it's you that will disturb their prayers during the time their God opened his harms to bless their community.
When you as a female leaves your head uncovered no Muslim will approve your outlook as your hair is bringing a curse to their society, these are the things that moves all Muslims to support the move when fanatics among them decides to islamise your community.
So it's not that they're all into politics practically but the religion has been the major reason why they always fall for the bait when politicians use motivational speeches to woo them! smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:12am On Aug 20, 2022
budaatum:
If you had Muslims in your neighbourhood and community and family you'd know better than to write this rubbish which many on here would claim is a description of Jehova Witnesses.
Well i was a Muslim!
So i perfectly understood what is going on. smiley
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 10:53am On Aug 20, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Well i was a Muslim!
So i perfectly understood what is going on. smiley
What you don't see is how now you are a JW you are no different to what you were when you were a Muslim. Just that what you believe is different, your behaviour and attitude are the same as what you listed for Muslims. Or have you forgotten how many times you've told me JWs don't mix with non-JWs, despite my nice JW neighbour mixing with me?

You seem to think the sort of Muslim or JW you were and are is how every Muslim and JW is, as if you practice Islam (and JW) perfectly as is stated in the book, but see you not loving your neighbour enough to give the benefit of the doubt that you might have got it wrong.
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 11:00am On Aug 20, 2022
bushjeph:
thank you for clarifying. Exactly my point, regards to modern Islam in general they are not forward thinking
I bet you are talking about the Islam that you see in your vicinity from which you generalise.

Perhaps visit Saudi Arabia and Dubai or watch YouTube videos, then come tell me if they are not far more modern thinking than say Nigeria that is not an Islamic nation.

If your vicinity is Nigeria I wouldn't say any religion we practice includes forward thinking. And if you know your history you'd find Islam was partly responsible for dragging Europe out of its dark ages.
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:39am On Aug 20, 2022
budaatum:

What you don't see is how now you are a JW you are no different to what you were when you were a Muslim. Just that what you believe is different, your behaviour and attitude are the same as what you listed for Muslims. Or have you forgotten how many times you've told me JWs don't mix with non-JWs, despite my nice JW neighbour mixing with me?
You seem to think the sort of Muslim or JW you were and are is how every Muslim and JW is, as if you practice Islam (and JW) perfectly as is stated in the book, but see you not loving your neighbour enough to give the benefit of the doubt that you might have got it wrong.

You misquote people instead of listening to them carefully.
If you live next to me as a neighbour it's the same way i will treat you, what i'm saying is that no matter how nice we are to neighbours we can't engage you in our sacred service.
For instance when we are praying you can't join us unless you're ready to learn our ways of doing things and in your form of worship no JW will sit with you at all.
So if it's because of our stand that you're this furious then let me tell you that you've been thoroughly deceiving yourself because the same way your neighbours treat you is how i treat my neighbours here. They believe it's all well since we don't think of hurting anyone but then ask them to tell you sincerely what our God say about nonejws then you will know that Max has been your best friend telling you the truth from the heart as you're not in my neighbourhood where we only greet each other without going deep into sacred matters! smiley
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 11:45am On Aug 20, 2022
Go read what you wrote about Muslims and you'd find its no different to your description of your JW self below, which thankfully is not a description of my JW neighbour nor of the numerous JWs and Muslims I know.

MaxInDHouse:

You misquote people instead of listening to them carefully.
If you live next to me as a neighbour it's the same way i will treat you, what i'm saying is that no matter how nice we are to neighbours we can't engage you in our sacred service.
For instance when we are praying you can't join us unless you're ready to learn our ways of doing things and in your form of worship no JW will sit with you at all.
So if it's because of our stand that you're this furious then let me tell you that you've been thoroughly deceiving yourself because the same way your neighbours treat you is how i treat my neighbours here. They believe it's all well since we don't think of hurting anyone but then ask them to tell you sincerely what our God say about nonejws then you will know that Max has been your best friend telling you the truth from the heart as you're not in my neighbourhood where we only greet each other without going deep into sacred matters! smiley
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:01pm On Aug 20, 2022
budaatum:
Go read what you wrote about Muslims and you'd find its no different to your description of your JW self below, which thankfully is not a description of my JW neighbour nor of the numerous JWs and Muslims I know.

Madam stop deceiving yourself!
JWs aren't worshiping the same God with you if you're not a JW!
That's the bitter TRUTH! cheesy
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Madam stop deceiving yourself!
JWs aren't worshiping the same God with you if you're not a JW!
That's the bitter TRUTH! cheesy

This is the same thing you've said about Muslims.

Thankfully, buda does not worship Gods since they seem to make you lose your senses and dislike your neighbours.

You should try reading the books.

Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:49pm On Aug 20, 2022
budaatum:

This is the same thing you've said about Muslims.
Thankfully, buda does not worship Gods since they seem to make you lose your senses and dislike your neighbours.
You should try reading the books.

You're not a worshiper of my God doesn't mean hatred or dislike it simply means there's a limit to what we can do together! wink
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by budaatum: 12:59pm On Aug 20, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

You're not a worshiper of my God doesn't mean hatred or dislike it simply means there's a limit to what we can do together! wink

Like politics, right?

You need to completely abandon the corrupt version of Islam you practised and the JW you practise. Both are obnoxious.
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:08pm On Aug 20, 2022
budaatum:

Like politics, right?

You need to completely abandon the corrupt version of Islam you practised and the JW you practise. Both are obnoxious.

Politics is forcing policies on you after winning the majority. Telling you "we're not on the same page" has nothing to do with politics since you're free to live your life anyhow you want without anyone having to disturb you.

So you need to distinguish between politics and freewill!
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by Lighthouse50: 3:02pm On Aug 20, 2022
To be factual about the topic, technology is a disaster. it has led to scarcity of jobs worldwide. It has led tn the untimely death of billions through aircrash, gunshots, bombs, car crashes, bike accidents etc. It has led to the pollution of the environment and damage to the ozone layer through release of massive carbon to the atmosphere and chlorofluorocarbon from air conditioners and freezers. The world is unhealthy and sick and when the world decides to heal itself, it will wipe out large numbers of humans from the earth. lots more are evidence of technology. We only tend to focus on its good side but failed to see the huge effect and disadvantages.
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by bushjeph: 8:17pm On Aug 20, 2022
I cant fathom your anti_technology stance? You wont be reading this without tech. I guess part of your earning is from technology world. Future economy is driving by tech. Good part of tech far far beats any disadvantage you can claim. Going by the index of nations development no current Islamic nation can boost of leading any research nor discovery. All we hear is ban, restrictions and HARAM. Thats my main concern raising this topic. I fear for Nigeria and its Islamic agenda.

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by bushjeph: 11:03pm On Sep 25, 2022
Lalasti fb
Re: Is Islam Technology Averse? by dattaswami1: 2:44am On Sep 26, 2022
bushjeph:
Greetings everyone! I have for a long period of time pondered on this fact and even researched upon it and have decided to throw the question to thinkers here: Is Islam technology averse and why? To clarify further even as we contribute to the topic Imagine how much development that is happening all over the world then compare that index with every country that are majorly muslims to see the difference in acceptance of development and disruptive ideas and technologies.

: The scientific logic leading to inventions is blessed by God. Hence, the energy required for a scientific process and the resulting discovery are certainly due to the grace of God (Janaardhana) only. The application of the discovery is the direction of the invention in the further journey. This direction is due to the psychology of human being. Matter is a form of energy and matter can be converted into energy. The equation of this principle given by Einstein is due to grace of God. But, the huge energy released in such conversion can be used as power of the light and the energy used for computer, which are useful in the spiritual effort. The same energy can be misused in the form of atom bomb. The horse is the vehicle for your journey. But, using the horse, whether you are traveling to a forest to be robbed by thieves or traveling to the house of a friend in the city depends upon the direction of your free will.

If you go to a forest, you are robbed. If you go the city, you are honored by your friend. The horse is one and the same for both purposes. But, the resulting directions ending in different fruits are based on your psychology developed due to your freedom of will. This freedom is given to all souls and each soul develops its own direction based on the freedom of will given by God to the souls in this world. This world is called as karma loka or world of doing actions as per the freedom of the will of a soul (svabhaavastu pravartate… Gita).
The upper worlds like hell and heaven are called as bhoga lokas or places for enjoying the fruits of past deeds without any freedom of the will. You cannot blame God for giving such free will to souls in this world because due to this free will, all souls are not spoiled. In spite of this freedom of will, there are several souls, which are benefited much. If you remove this freedom of will from this world, there is no real enjoyment of the fruits resulting from actions based on free will.

This creation is not only created by God for His entertainment, but also for the entertainment of souls. Hence, the present system of actions yielding corresponding fruits (there is no freedom for you to change the fruit of a specific action) having freedom in selecting a specific action is a mixture of hot and sweet for entertainment. If you put finger in fire, it will burn. If you put your finger in water, it will be cool.

There is no freedom for you to change the specific fruit of a specific action. But, there is full freedom for you to put your finger in fire or water. If this freedom is also absent, the souls become inert robots only. In such case, God has to enjoy the good or bad fruits of all actions. In the present system, God does not enjoy the fruit of any action done by you. God is completely free from the blame since He propagated the right knowledge of fire and water from the beginning of the creation. Therefore, release of energy from matter is by God and the direction in which the energy is used (karma) and enjoyment of its destined fruit (bhoga) goes to the soul only.

Hence, God is doer (karta) and enjoyer (bhokta) up to the first stage of release of energy from matter. The same God is entertained (bhokta) by this first step only. From the second step onwards (process of using the released energy), the soul is doer (karta) and enjoyer (bhokta) of use of energy. You cannot fix God as doer and enjoyer for both the steps. You are only responsible for your good and bad deeds for which heaven and hell are related places respectively. Hence, the use of energy (karma) and its enjoyment (bhoga) are totally related to you only.
Energy, in the form of electricity, was used in ancient India, which was called as vaidyutaagni. The same energy was also used as atom bomb in ancient India, which was called as Brahmaastra. In the Mahabharata war, the atom bomb (Brahmaastra) was used and its full description along with all the posterior effects (as observed in Hiroshima) were clearly explained.

In that ancient time, when this weapon was given to disciples, several controlling instructions were given side by side. Due to the background of vast spiritual knowledge, this weapon was almost out of use. In the present time, due to lack of such vast spiritual knowledge, controlling psychology is almost absent. Even in Mahabharata war, it was misused due to defective psychology.

Similarly, whether the computer is used for spiritual work or at least for the development of technology in the worldly benefits of humanity or whether the computer is used for doing cyber crimes or used in useless entertainments, it depends upon the attitudes and psychology of human beings in the absence of lack of stress on the spiritual knowledge in the present system of education. Hence, God is used as a vehicle only.

The process of the direction of its use (path) and its fruit depends upon the driver (human being) of the vehicle. The Veda says that God is used as the vehicle (abadhnan purusham pashum). The word ‘pashu’ here means an animal like horse used as vehicle in the journey. Thus, God is limited to the energy of the action (kriyaa shakti) only and is not related to the direction of the action or enjoyment of its fruit.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hell Is Real / Where Is Heaven,literally? / Difference Between Ifa Ori Bibo And Muslim Ori Bibo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.