Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? (1521 Views)

India Web Proxy 3.2.1 For Internet Browsing / MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access / Starcomms Vs Multilinks: Which Is Better For Internet Access? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 16, 2007
I have a PIII 650MHz, 10G HDD, 128MB RAM and intend to use it for dial-up internet. If I upgrade it to 384MB RAM would I achieve satisfactory browsing speed?
Re: Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? by kpomkwem(m): 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2007
The RAM upgrade does not really affect the browsing speed as much as the speed of your internet's ISP. The RAM upgrade only boosts the performance of programs on your computer (like MS Word, Outlook, etc), including how fast they launch, and so on.
One way your browsing can be slow is when you visit websites that include a lot of advertising banners and/or popup ads. To avoid all that, and enjoy faster browsing, download Firefox from www.mozilla.org, which gives you the option to block popups. You can then install an extension called "AdBlock Plus" which blocks most banners and such, so that webpages load faster.
Hope this helps.
Re: Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? by Seun(m): 5:14pm On Aug 17, 2007
Don't even think of using Firefox if you don't have at least 256mb of RAM!! RAM will make your browser faster.
Re: Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? by kpomkwem(m): 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2007
Yes I forgot that Firefox is a memory hog indeed. I'd still rather use firefox on a slow PC and block all those banner ads, than use Internet Explorer and endure all those flashy, annoying banners.
Actually, I believe that increasing the RAM only makes the browser load (and shut down) faster, but doesn't improve the actual internet speed.
Re: Pentium Iii: Good For Internet? by Seun(m): 9:27pm On Aug 17, 2007
Swapping to hard disk is makes a memory-constrained computer very slow. Just install the RAM, you won't regret it!

(1) (Reply)

Antivirus Comparison Chart For September 2008(av-test.org) / Newly Arrival HP Pavilion Dv700 3gig 320hdd / found @ ladipo!!Samsung Chromebook XE550C22-A01US Charger Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.