Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,142 members, 7,811,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) (377 Views)

Nationwide Hardship: These Challenges Are Temporary, Tinubu Tells Nigerians / Subsidy Removal: Our Pains Are Temporary – FG To Nigerians / Ibrahim Almustapha: Nigeria's Security Challenges Are Signs Of Greatness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by TheNiceGuy(m): 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2022
I made the assertion at the presentation of an award of the ‘best minister of the year 2022’ to me at the 10th edition of the Heroes of Democracy Award Africa which held at the Congress Hall of the Transcorp Hilton in Abuja.

.:

“Our nation is going through challenges, especially on security. These challenges are temporary and do not define us. We are defined by the greatness of the Nigerian people, in their strength, ingenuity and resilience, as exemplified by the quality of the recipients of today’s awards.

“We shall overcome all the challenges. A time is coming when we shall look at this period in retrospect and give thanks to the most high for the stormy waters we have waded through and the triumphs we have recorded over the challenges that look so huge and gargantuan today,” the minister informed the gathering.

Other awardees at the event are the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila who won Legislative Personality of the Decade Award; Governor of Niger State, Gov. Abubakar Sani Bello, who won the Man of the Year Award; Businessman and 2023 APC Presidential Aspirant, Mr. Tein Jack-Rich, who won Democracy Spotlight Politician of the year; Sen. Barau Jibrin, who won Senator of the Year Award amongst several others.

The event was attended by the Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Beatrice Jedy Agba; Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Dr. Shuaib Belgore; Business Tyconn, Alh. Sulieman Baba Ali; Controller General of the Nigerian Correctional Service, Haliru Nababa; Nigeria Immigration Service, Idris Isah Jere amongst several others.

Read my full speech from the event below;

REMARKS BY THE MINISTER OF INTERIOR, OGBENI RAUF AREGBESOLA, ON HIS INVESTITURE AS THE BEST MINISTER OF THE YEAR 2022, HELD AT THE CONGRESS HALL, TRANSCORP HILTON HOTEL, ABUJA, ON THURSDAY AUGUST 22, 2022

Protocols,

WE ALL HAVE THE SEED OF GREATNESS

It gives me great pleasure to be part of this fine gathering in celebrating the finest in ideals and the people who pulled these through. I must therefore thank the organisers for the kind invitation to this event, Democracy Heroes Award Africa, and for the honour of the award of the best minister of the year 2022 bestowed on me.

At my age and the goodness of the good Lord I have been privileged to enjoy, I do not believe an award will add more to me or subtract from my worth. I was a two term commissioner in Lagos and a two term governor in Osun. I have received, quite unsolicited, a surfeit of awards, all celebrating the excellence God has helped me to bring to my assignments.

Our nation is going through challenges, especially on security. These challenges are temporary and do not define us. We aredefined by the greatness of the Nigerian people, in theirstrength, ingenuity and resilience, as exemplified by the quality of the recipients of today’s awards.

We shall overcome all the challenges. A time is coming when we shall look at this period in retrospect and give thanks to the most high for the stormy waters we have waded through and the triumphs we have recorded over the challenges that look so huge and gargantuan today.

We are celebrating in this hall the demonstrated greatness of some of us today, but we all have the seed of greatness in us. Achieving much and overcoming challenges requires demonstrating leadership. Some of us have the erroneous belief that only those who occupy the topmost positions are the leaders. This is not necessarily true. We are all required to demonstrate leadership in any position we occupy by doing what is the best at all times and being excellent in what we do.

A child that admonishes another child not to write on the wall has demonstrated leadership in keeping the wall clean and undefaced. A janitor that never comes late to the office to open the door for others to resume work is a leader. A driver that never fails to take his passengers to their destination peacefully and in one whole piece is a leader.
That little Dutch boy that stuck his little finger in a little hole on a dyke, in a cold wintery morning, saved his community from flooding. He was a leader, for that heroic act.

My journey today began with my passion for excellence from my primary school days, through secondary and tertiary education. I have learnt that challenges are inevitable and they are meant to be solved. I came from an ideological tradition that places humanity in the centre of the universe and deprecates self. All our actions – physical, social, economic and political – should advance the cause of humanity. We therefore strive to solve all problems, as humanly possible and provide the greatest good for the greatest number.

These, and the grace of God, prepared and recommend me for every high office I have held and have been my guiding principles.
When I was governor in Osun, my administration made the largest investment in education. This was borne of my belief that providing quality education for the mass of the people is the foundation of development and preparing for the future. I am therefore calling on the youths to strive for self-development and pursuit of excellence in our quest for development and building a great nation.

But in all honesty, I have never been fazed by awards. However, given the open and transparent efforts made by the organisers and the extent to which they have gone to get the opinion of a cross section of Nigerians on their choice for the award, I am indeed humbled by their honest choice. It is my sincere wish that the award will inspire young people, upcoming politicians and others who are still looking forward to fulfilment in life. I want them to know that passion, dedication and doggedness are worthy virtues to attaining success and recognition.

Once again, I thank the organisers for counting me worthy for nomination and the distinguished audience for your being here.

I must especially thank President Muhammadu Buhari for giving me the privilege to serve in government as minister. I thank most profoundly the Permanent Secretary, Directors, the CGs of the four agencies and other staff of the Ministry of Interior that have made my work easier.

I thank you all for your kind attention.

https://www.facebook.com/100044200611209/posts/pfbid0mGK35wpp5YWBtXGjWyKNgnhJ6eGo2koyn29NzMVcN5iB2FTJsGFTa5ABkYfJbMpjl/?app=fbl

Nlfpmod Lalasticlala seun Mynd44

Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by TheNiceGuy(m): 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2022
More

Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by Blue3k(m): 2:13pm On Aug 20, 2022
Says the administration that hides the crime stats. I agree some one else will have to solve this issue since clowns cannot. Crime rates will stay the same unless law enforcement policy changes and or citizens have better means to defend themselves from violent criminals.

Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by God1000(m): 2:13pm On Aug 20, 2022
Says a failed minister
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by TheNiceGuy(m): 2:15pm On Aug 20, 2022
He was awarded the best Minister. Nah you know that one cheesy
God1000:
Says a failed minister
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by God1000(m): 2:16pm On Aug 20, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
He was awarded the best Minister. Nah you know that one cheesy
that's Nigeria for you
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by VeryWickedMan: 2:26pm On Aug 20, 2022
Temporary for 7 years

Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by Kennedy97: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
Solve them first.
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by Kaiser20: 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2022
There is always a reward for mediocre politicians in Nigeria.
The more they failed, the more endorsement they received.
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by TheNiceGuy(m): 4:51pm On Aug 20, 2022
You're not being realistic.

How did he failed?
Kaiser20:
There is always a reward for mediocre politicians in Nigeria.
The more they failed, the more endorsement they received.
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by Blue3k(m): 5:07pm On Aug 20, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
You're not being realistic.

How did he failed?

Here's the mandate of his ministry. Securing lives and property is obviously a fail when the crime rate is increasing. Reformation of inmates can't be determined conclusively unless we have recidivism rates. I'm not sure its going well though. NIS is a joke in terms of service. They can't mail out passports domsticly and constant have issues supplying passports. Lastly they dont do well deporting illegal aliens. The NCS has been in the news lately for not being able to guard it's lunch. Everything else I don’t have strong opinion on.

Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by TheNiceGuy(m): 6:06pm On Aug 20, 2022
If your assessment is based on security, what then is the sole responsibility of Nigeria police and army? Are they under his ministry
Blue3k:

Here's the mandate of his ministry. Securing lives and property is obviously a fail when the crime rate is increasing. Reformation of inmates can't be determined conclusively unless we have recidivism rates. I'm not sure its going well though. NIS is a joke in terms of service. They can't mail out passports domsticly and constant have issues supplying passports. Lastly they dont do well deporting illegal aliens. The NCS has been in the news lately for not being able to guard it's lunch. Everything else I don’t have strong opinion on.
Re: Our Insecurity Challenges Are Temporary - Aregbesola (pic) by Blue3k(m): 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
If your assessment is based on security, what then is the sole responsibility of Nigeria police and army? Are they under his ministry

No but as you can see it's part of his mandate and the NSCD along with civil defense are part of his ministry. Your deflection to other security agencies tell me they also failures not that he's a success. I'll assume you agree with the other criticisms since you didn't bother arguing about NIS or NCS.

(1) (Reply)

Igbos You Have A Question To Answer, Come In Here / Funny Video Of Shettima At NBA Conference / Why Is It Only General Sanni Abacha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.