Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,658 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President (1271 Views)

We Will Shut Down Universities Across Nigeria In 7 Days - SSANU President / Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President / Strike: Ssanu, Nasu, Naat Take Protest To Nass (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by cherishmichael: 8:14pm On Aug 20, 2022
Why we suspended strike – SSANU president

The National President of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, Muhammed Ibrahim, on Saturday, disclosed that the union decided to suspend its strike to give the government a window of opportunity to fulfill its promises.

The PUNCH reports that SSANU and its sister union, Non-Academic Staff Union of Allied and Education Institutions, announced a suspension of the ongoing strike.

Our correspondent also gathered that the decision was taken at the end of a meeting with the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, at the minister’s office in Abuja.

It was gathered that the executive secretary of the National Universities Commission, Professor Abubakar Rasheed, was also in attendance.

Speaking to our correspondent in Abuja, Ibrahim said, “We suspended the strike for a period of two months. This is to give the government a window of opportunity to meet all the demands. After the two months we will meet again and have a review.”

The unions embarked on a strike in March 2022 shortly after the commencement of the strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

The unions had called for the renegotiation of the 2009 agreement; payment of earned allowances; end to usurpation of non-academic career positions by Vice Chancellors; inclusion of university staff schools into the university community; non-payment of minimum wage arrears and deployment of the Universities Peculiar Personnel Payroll System for payment of salaries and allowances.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by God1000(m): 8:15pm On Aug 20, 2022
Good, they are meeting the federal government halfway, government should do the needful.

They both can reach happy medium now, ASUU should not jeopardize the whole thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by blazingblender(m): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2022
Sanu
No be like that Hausa people de greet??
Sha wetin concern me??
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by Floorbeat(f): 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2022
ASUU do the needful.
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 20, 2022
Nawa ooo.
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by Unzerious: 8:31pm On Aug 20, 2022
Jennifer663:
Nawa ooo.

This is a Welcome Development. Though, If the Government fails to keep it's own End of the Bargain... It's Camelot all over again.
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by Jman06(m): 11:07pm On Aug 20, 2022
They have done well by suspending the strike. That's a smart move at this time!

I expect ASUU to read the mood of the nation already and suspend their own strike too.

ASUU should also begin to strategize on how they can get better deals with the incoming government in terms of funding and even further pay rise without going on strikes. They are supposedly intellectuals but fail to use their intelligence where necessary.

They can consult me for a fee if they don't know how to get the next government do the needful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by Privatepart00: 12:05am On Aug 21, 2022
SSANU and NASU are saboteurs, they always pane out this way. They can forfeit their salaries as they are been owed May,June, July compared to ASUU 6months and NAAT that are owed 5 and half months.
They shouldn’t have joined the strike at first. Sure brown envelop exchanged hands

1 Like

Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by freddie009(m): 12:31am On Aug 21, 2022
Make I apply for my transcript sharply. Send am to WES
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by xcelpro: 3:06am On Aug 21, 2022
freddie009:
Make I apply for my transcript sharply. Send am to WES
Please can someone use an evaluated WES transcript to apply for all schools at any time?
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by Dvdpity: 7:23am On Aug 21, 2022
The will still go on strike, this their current strike, was it not because of failure to fulfill agreements and promises?. Non academic with half brains. Shameful. Well ASUU will not be cowed into such. The Nigerian academics and academic system must be well funded to compete with others around the world.
Dollar is 700 Naira now. 1 dollar is 700 naira now. APC has killed Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by mespusinglez(m): 7:48am On Aug 21, 2022
EBA,GARRI,BEANS IS GROWING HERE.
Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by emorse(m): 8:55am On Aug 21, 2022
Dvdpity:
The will still go on strike, this their current strike, was it not because of failure to fulfill agreements and promises?. Non academic with half brains. Shameful. Well ASUU will not be cowed into such. The Nigerian academics and academic system must be well funded to compete with others around the world.
Dollar is 700 Naira now. 1 dollar is 700 naira now. APC has killed Nigerians.
Funding is not the issue. Throwing money at the problem will definitely lead to more problems. E.g inflation rate will likely go up which will in turn eat up whatever gains we would have made. ASUU should know this.

An accountable government and a better economy is what we should all be fighting for. Make the current leaders go rest abeg. An economy that doesn't require so much money to provide quality life.

I saw a video clip of a radio interview with an American OAP recently. She mentioned that a particular luxury car (I think a lambo) costs about $700,000. Then I Imagined if N1 = $1 or even N10 = $1, shebi many us go fit afford am na.

ASUU should join us to flush bad leaders out and help the new ones formulate good economic policies that will benefit all of us abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Suspended Strike – SSANU President by freddie009(m): 9:33am On Aug 21, 2022
xcelpro:

Please can someone use an evaluated WES transcript to apply for all schools at any time?

This WES thing bro, I haven't really understood it. I was about to ask some question on it, then I saw your mention. Go to the travel section people are there to answer all questions.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Full Details Abt Oauife Post Ume / Unilag: 2nd List For Ume Students / Nigeran Defence Academy Form Is Out Again For 2008/2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.