Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ (40720 Views)

Prophet Onyeze Jesus Apologizes For Spraying Naira On Naked Clients In River / Give To The Poor And Help The Needy. It May Be Your Only Saving Grace-Photos. / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by brightonos24: 6:29am On Aug 21, 2022
A pastor has apologized after a video of him calling his congregation "poor, broke, busted and disgusted" for not buying him a luxury Movado watch caused outrage on social media.

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrJiDNFSrE

Pastor Carlton Funderburke posted a video apology on Facebook Tuesday after a clip shared on TikTok by the digital media company The Kansas City Defender showed Funderburke complaining to his congregation.

Though there is context behind the content of the clip, no context will suffice to explain the hurt and anguish caused by my words," he said in the apology. "I’ve spoken to those I am accountable to and have received their correction and instruction. I have also privately apologized to our church, who has extended their love and support to me.”

TODAY reached out to the church for additional comment and has not received a response.

In the viral TikTok video, Funderburke expresses his frustration with the congregation at Church at the Well, the non-denominational church in Kansas City, Missouri, that he founded with his wife.

“You see that's how I know you’re still poor, broke, busted and disgusted, because of how you been honoring me," he told them. "I’m not worth your McDonald’s money? I’m not worth your Red Lobster money? I ain’t worth your St. John Knit — y’all can’t afford nohow. I ain’t worth y’all Louis Vuitton? I ain’t worth your Prada? I’m not worth your Gucci?”

Funderburke later tells the congregation the wholesale store Sam's Club sells luxury Movado watches, according to the video.

“And y’all know I asked for one last year!" he said. "Here it is all the way in August and I still ain’t got it!. Y’all ain’t said nothing. Let me kick down the door and talk to my cheap sons and daughters.”

"That would’ve been my last day in his church," one TikTok commenter wrote.

"Preaching about material things!" another person commented.

Funderburke said in his apology that "the video clip does not reflect my heart or my sentiments toward God’s people, yet that's not discernible in the clip."

“No context could erase the words I used," he continued. "I apologize to all who have been hurt, angered or in any way damaged by my words."

He went on to apologize to his church and other pastors for any scrutiny his sermon brought upon them.

"To those who now know me because of this video clip I regret that your first impression of me is one of anger, hate and resentment," he said. "My actions and my words are inexcusable. I offer no justification or defense. That moment was mishandled and mismanaged. I deeply regret this moment."

Funderburke's apology comes a month after gospel singer Kim Burrell issued multiple apologies for her comments about "broke" and "ugly" people in a church sermon. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/rcna43892

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChWzecPNZwo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by alsudan: 6:30am On Aug 21, 2022
This Clown should get himself a job

200 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by GardenOfGod(m): 6:34am On Aug 21, 2022
Werey pastor... Resembles Tinubu Pastor... grin grin

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 21, 2022
This should serve as a lesson to those who serve their pastors,religion is nothing more than a massive con game. They will hit you up for money every day.
The truth is many are really just a business. Its all about keeping people dependent and coming through the doors. It has nothing to do with the gospel that Jesus was proclaiming. Once it got monetized, it lost it’s true purpose.

116 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by thesicilian: 6:37am On Aug 21, 2022
See what carnal men have turned the church of the Lord into!

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by JhimmyThall(m): 6:38am On Aug 21, 2022
Prosperity pastor's dem!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by SmartPolician: 6:43am On Aug 21, 2022
If you read an apology from a document, I don't believe it's coming from your heart. It's possible someone put you up to it.

I laugh when people say that their appearance doesn't matter but their hearts. To be honest, appearance matters.

I wonder what you want to learn from a pastor who wears dreadlocks - a hairstyle common among rascals and deviants.

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by ouzo1(m): 6:45am On Aug 21, 2022
Another Mumu

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 21, 2022
SmartPolician:
If you read an apology from a document, I don't believe it's coming from you. It's possible someone out you up for this.

I smile when people say that their appearance doesn't matter but their hearts. To be honest, appearance matters. I wonder what you want to learn from a pastor who wears dreadlocks - a hairstyle common among deviants and rascals.
But you feel cool about the Jesus with his long hair right cos he's white,but a black man with his natural locks is automatically a rascal to you?
This is nothing but an inferiority complex,what went wrong ?

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by robinso01(m): 6:49am On Aug 21, 2022
God no gree for all these fake pastors parading theirselves as real pastor

9 Likes

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by SmartPolician: 6:49am On Aug 21, 2022
Mufakirnaqdiun:

But you feel cool about the Jesus with his long hair right cos he's white,but a black man with his natural locks is automatically a rascal to you?
This is nothing but an inferiority complex,what went wrong ?

Please learn and leave Jesus out of this.
BTW, which part of the Bible have you ever read that someone took a picture of Jesus or moulded him? I will be absolutely delighted if you point me to it.

The society defines a norm. It's either you agree or you don't. We have been told countless times to dress the way we want to be addressed. Dressing in this context includes your hairstyle. So, stop defending stupidity.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 21, 2022
SmartPolician:

Please learn and leave Jesus out of this.
BTW, which part of the Bible have you ever read that someone took a picture of Jesus or moulded him? I will be absolutely delighted if you point me to it.

The society defines a norm. It's either you agree or you don't. We have been told countless times to dress the way we want to be addressed. Dressing in this context includes your hairstyle. So, stop defending stupidity.
Talking about Jesus,Pictures of Jesus are simply depictions of him, usually at certain events. They couldn't just paint a blanc face so they paint an image of the way they see him based on any historical information available.

Tell these to people born with natural matted hair,are you going to call them rascals?don't you think there are those born with that?
I will forgive your ignorance because you don’t understand how they are formed, how they are maintained,hence your negative stereotypes against them.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by SmartPolician: 7:09am On Aug 21, 2022
Mufakirnaqdiun:

Talking about Jesus,Pictures of Jesus are simply depictions of him, usually at certain events. They couldn't just paint a blanc face so they paint an image of the way they see him based on any historical information available.

Tell these to people born with natural matted hair,are you going to call them rascals?don't you think there are those born with that?
I will forgive your ignorance because you don’t understand how they are formed, how they are maintained,hence your negative stereotypes against them.

You know ZILCH.

That picture you see in churches has a source.
Go and find out its origin; that's why you went to school - to learn. That's your assignment because I won't tell you.

As for the second paragraph, I will maintain what I wrote earlier. A preacher has no business carrying dreadlocks. Jesus was solemn all through His stay on earth and encourages us Christians to conform to the positive norms of our society. Today, you wear deadlocks in a society where rascals wear dreadlocks and expect sane people to take you seriously when you preach the Gospel of Christ.

Argue from now till the end of time, I will maintain my stance. I don't blame the dude - I blame fools who go to his church and they even deserve to be called worse names because, just like you, they know nothing!

PS: I won't reply you again.

40 Likes

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 21, 2022
SmartPolician:

You know ZILCH.

That picture you see in churches has a source.
Go and find out its origin; that's why you went to school - to learn. That's your assignment because I won't tell you.

As for the second paragraph, I will maintain what I wrote earlier. A preacher has no business carrying dreadlocks. Jesus was solemn all through His stay on earth and encourages us Christians to conform to the positive norms of our society. Today, you wear deadlocks in a society where rascals wear dreadlocks and expect sane people to take you seriously when you preach the Gospel of Christ.

Argue from now till the end of time, I will maintain my stance. I don't blame the dude - I blame fools who go to his church and they even deserve to be called worse names because, just like you, they know nothing!

PS: I won't reply you again.
Did your bible tell you to judge people by their hair?eww.
And where was it written that dreadlocks make you a rascal,in case you skipped this due to your pride and loud mouth, Samson wore dreadlocks and he was a good man according to the bible,god never judged or stereotyped him the way you did up there.

P.S: don't bother replying me cos your lack of Intelligence is too obvious,and your hair discrimination speaks a lot about you.
I'm allergic to dirty hypocrites.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Axzbsu: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2022
Okay

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by nowtoday1: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2022
Followers na em i dey pity
Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by stano2(m): 9:16am On Aug 21, 2022
Wahala
Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Machalla(m): 9:17am On Aug 21, 2022
Lol

I hereby join this vawulence pastor and his long comradres partner Sisi Tonto dikeh hands in vawulence marriage cheesy
Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by jaxxy(m): 9:17am On Aug 21, 2022
Apology not accepted.

Now After reading his actually comments I feel no pastor should own or be sole Head of any church. The head of the church is christ. The pastor is just a volunteer like any other person that's wants to serve.

The level of entitlement mentality on his congregation is beyond astonishing. undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:17am On Aug 21, 2022
A pastor has apologized after a video of him calling his congregation "poor, broke, busted and disgusted" for not buying him a luxury Movado watch caused outrage on social media

Pastor our 'feet' @dem MANNA!

xeratek:
Using God's name to promote YouTube channel with skits is punishable by straight hellfire wink
Seconded!
Gbamsolutely!!

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by xeratek: 9:17am On Aug 21, 2022
Using God's name to promote YouTube channel with skits is punishable by straight hellfire wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by Axzbsu: 9:18am On Aug 21, 2022
T
Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by princepee: 9:18am On Aug 21, 2022
grin get yourself a dam job and buy yourself what you desire,
You shouldn't feel entitled!

5 Likes

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:18am On Aug 21, 2022
GardenOfGod:
Werey pastor... Resembles Tinubu Pastor...
Incoherent and nonsensical jargons as usual.
Wetin small pikin know?!

Collectii abegii.....

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by visijo(m): 9:18am On Aug 21, 2022
Abi make i start holiday lesson for small children so as to get money grin

1 Like

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by tydi(m): 9:19am On Aug 21, 2022
Pastor or old taker wey achieve mic

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by emmyclassic(m): 9:19am On Aug 21, 2022
Those of you talking about Jesus hair, remember he was a Nazarene which means his hair was never cut since birth. Jesus probably had locks cos He Wasn’t white.

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Carlton Apologizes After Calling Church Members ‘poor’ And ‘broke’ by ShaqFu: 9:19am On Aug 21, 2022
Lol. I watched the video, it was hilarious. Obviously dude was very frustrated and angry with his flock because they didn't buy him the things he needs.

What baffles me the most was when he was dissing them and calling them cheap, some were still cheering and shouting whatever, chai!.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman 'Heals' A Crippled Man At His Conference In Washington (Photos) / Prayer times with Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / TB Joshua Makes Headlines In Tanzania

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.