Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

How To Care For A Panther Chameleon? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Care For A Panther Chameleon? (629 Views)

How Do You Take Care Of A Male Panther Chameleon? / Can I Care For A Pet While Working/living Alone / I Need Info On Hw To Care For My Puppies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Care For A Panther Chameleon? by dolakeenia(f): 3:51pm On Aug 21, 2022
Panther Chameleons are one of the most fascinating reptiles with their different colors ranging from yellow, red, green, blue, and orange. Males have a broken white stripe on the sides which starts at the head and travels almost to the tail.

Females possess a faint lateral stripe and vertical bars that are more pronounced when they are stressed. They make a great pet for the novice but there are no chameleons that are a "piece of cake" to care for.

How to Select a Panther Chameleon

If they are drab and dark in color, skip buying these. They are stressed or have been living at an improper temperature. Selection: The color of a chameleon is generally a good indicator of its condition. Dark and drab colors are generally indicative of stress or improper temperature. If you see one that is 'bowlegged", or has a crooked back or jaw, skips buying this one.

They could have metabolic bone disease. If their eyes are closed for long periods of time during the day that is an indication the pet is not well. The chameleon that has his eyes constantly moving to survey his surrounding is a fine pet to buy, healthy and robust. Check for any fungus on the skin. Panthers kept in the best conditions and cared for can live up to 10 years.

Temperament: Panthers tend to be tamer than other chameleons, but handle as little as possible.

Food:

Panther chameleons are insectivores. Feeder insects should be gut loaded with high calcium and vitamin supplements. Crickets are their main staple, but mealworms are good also. Don't overfeed as it can shorten their life expectancy.

Hydration:

Provide clean water daily using a drip bottle that you can drip slowly over the foliage within the enclosure. The water needs to keep moving in order for them to recognize it. A good misting will also be enjoyed.

Enclosure:

Air circulation, which can be achieved by two sides of the screen, is important. Only have one chameleon per enclosure. They are solitary animals and company in their homes will stress them out. Keep the temperature at one end of the enclosure for basking at 90-105 degrees, and keep this at the highest point of the cage so the temperature changes that occur vertically will mimic their nature.

Remember that reptiles do not manufacture their own heat, and therefore, you must pay close attention to giving them the temperatures they need to thrive. They will move to the hot and cooler areas, as they feel needed. Darker color chameleons will absorb more heat, and the light colors will repel the heat so having them separate from each other is imperative. The other spots of the cage should be in the 80s during the day and mid-'60s at night. Skip heat rocks and warming pads.

Lighting:

Use Retisun 5.0 or UVB output bulbs. Keep out of the reach of our pets or they will get burned.

Humidity:

Mist with warm to hot water several times a day. 50-60 percent humidity is desirable and the airflow is necessary to prevent bacteria.

The size of the cage should be about 24x24x48. Live plants like hibiscus rosa, pathos, or devil's ivy are good for the cage. Forget the rubber trees and fiscus.

Daily attention to your Panther Chameleon is mandated. Take care of your pet and they will give you years of enjoyment.

Re: How To Care For A Panther Chameleon? by dettemanon(m): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2022
These are so cute creatures. I love chameleons <3
Re: How To Care For A Panther Chameleon? by dietercuti: 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2022
Thank you for the post with useful knowledge. But I always look for ReptileAnswers for chameleon breeding on another site. Panther chameleons are very cool and intelligent reptiles with a very high survival rate in the wild. These creatures have achieved a high level of camouflage. Everyone knows that. Sometimes I think my little Betty will run away from me, and I won't be able to find her. She likes to pretend to be a wall of stripes or my bedding because she's very playful. My cat is afraid of her and always fluffs her tail in her presence. But I always lock Betty in the terrarium at night, so the cat doesn't catch her and kill her.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Keeping Watch On Your Property Can Not Be Done Alone. / Adult Male Samoyed For Sale / Pitbull Pup Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.