Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django (793 Views)

Meet Emmanuella Mayaki: Hired By A School In The UK As Coding Instructor / Learn How To Create Websites With Python(Django Web Framework) / Time Table App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django by akinademayowa(m): 3:38pm On Aug 23, 2022
I'm currently working on a school admin project in Django, i feel like i should add an app that will generate the school's time table after submitting the necessary details. I have sought online extensively, i couldn't get, and i want to build it to add to my knowledge. Anyone with me on this? You can give some hint, or if you've done something similar, or probably offer to work with me on this. Thanks. Note: it's not a paid project.
Dm me on WhatsApp: 08187669362. Thanks
Re: How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django by airsaylongcome: 3:56pm On Aug 23, 2022
Check out unitime by University of Purdue for ideas. Time tabling for universities is more complex than for say a secondary school because there are many variables and constraints. But you should get idea how to start. Good luck

1 Like

Re: How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django by bedfordng(m): 6:52pm On Aug 23, 2022
Probably you could create a model called DepartMentTimeTable and another model called TimeTableDetails . Then use tabularinline to add TimeTableDetails to DepartmentTimeTable through modeladmin. With this you can keep adding more fields for the timetable. This is just a suggestion. You can fine-tune with what you want.

1 Like

Re: How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django by RepoMan007: 9:28pm On Aug 23, 2022
Breaking it down, timetable has periods for subject handled by teachers. Each class period has attributes start time, end time, subject, class, teacher, day of week, term, and maybe textbook. So let's say you have teacher, class, and subject tables in place already, you will have to create the subject period object / table. Off course periods cannot overlap in time. Teacher cannot be in two class at anytime. Those are commonsense business logics. If the school has a rigid period structure then better.

1 Like

Re: How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django by airsaylongcome: 9:58pm On Aug 23, 2022
RepoMan007:
Breaking it down, timetable has periods for subject handled by teachers. Each class period has attributes start time, end time, subject, class, teacher, day of week, term, and maybe textbook. So let's say you have teacher, class, and subject tables in place already, you will have to create the subject period object / table. Off course periods cannot overlap in time. Teacher cannot be in two class at anytime. Those are commonsense business logics. If the school has a rigid period structure then better.

There are many more constraints to factor in. For example a teacher may not teach say two or may three consecutive periods, a teacher isn't around on Fridays so you cannot schedule their classes to fall on Friday. Certain subjects may not follow each other eg Further Mathematics and Mathematics. Some classes have to hold in a venue which has to be free eg Physics in a Lab. Timetabling is not so straight forward as many people think

1 Like

Re: How To Create A School Time Table App In Python/django by RepoMan007: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2022
airsaylongcome:

There are many more constraints to factor in. For example a teacher may not teach say two or may three consecutive periods, a teacher isn't around on Fridays so you cannot schedule their classes to fall on Friday. Certain subjects may not follow each other eg Further Mathematics and Mathematics. Some classes have to hold in a venue which has to be free eg Physics in a Lab. Timetabling is not so straight forward as many people think
Some.of these things too can be implemented programmatically. Two subjects can be forbidden from running consecutively and concurrently. Consecutively for the sake of students and concurrently for the sake of teachers.
Also that of avoiding too many consecutive periods can be done. When the allocator algorithm allocates periods out, most likely at random, it just needs to select subject period based on a combo of different and multippe criteria each time.
Subject timetable share a lot with football league timetables. Locations, team proximity and blockbuster match sequence are quite similar to some of the concerns raised here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: / Integration With Active Directory Needed / Learn Game Design In 1 Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.