Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? (522 Views)

3 Nigerian Pastors Who Divorced Their Wives And What Led To The Broken Marriages / Father Oluoma: Ladies Virginity Is Not A Gift To Your Husbands / CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by God2man2again(m): 8:33pm On Aug 23, 2022
Here is for learning, let's discuss these Bible verses:

Ephesians 5:21"Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God."

Ephesians 5:22" Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord"

Ephesians 5:25" Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it"

Ephesians 5:33" Nevertheless let every one in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband."

If you look at the preceding verses of Ephesians 5:21, that is, Ephesians 5:20, you will discover that Apostle Paul was speaking to the Church in general, then when you check Ephesians 5:22, he paused, speaking to the family now, which is a nucleus of the Church.
The family is a mini-Church, we may say that the Church came out of the family.

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."

Now, the word "submit" is a verb, an action word with these meanings:
give in, yield, agree, accept, bow, consent, comply and confirm.

The word " submission" is the noun form of submit, meaning, yielding, agreement, acceptance and proposal.

The word in the Bible is "submit or submitting"

Now, let's go back to the topic, must the husbands submit to their wives too?

The answer is relative to an extent not totally but to a certain degree, the husband can submit to the wife in some areas that the husband can not handle that only the wife has the capacity to do it better.
For example, backing a baby, breastfeeding, managing the kitchen and other feminine domestic chores (shopping, cooking,washing dishes and cleaning the house).
Also, women like the house to be clean while some men sometimes behave rough and dirty(not all men) but that is how we are wired.
Women are wired to be sensitive to dirt. If the place is dirty, they react negatively and clean it. Women are allergic to uncleanness.

However, husbands are not supposed to submit to their wives because God has made them the head of the family.
Two heads can not control the family, somebody has to submit to the other person for peace to reign.

In the family setting, there must be a leader, which is the husband, if the wife decide to take the leadership role of the husband then something has gone wrong, that is why the last verse of Ephesians 5:33c" and the wife see that she reverence her husband"

The word "reverence" is a powerful word, meaning, deep respect, look up to, value, idolize, appreciate, worship and love.

This takes us to Amos 3:3" Can two walk together, except they be agreed"

So, the two, husband and wife must agree together to make the marriage work.
Indirectly or directly, husband and wife must submit to each other for peace to reign in the family.

It is not out of place to submit to each other.

Husband, love your wife. There is humility in love, you have to humble yourself before you can love, a loving man does not behave arrogantly, he humbles himself to allow the love to flow.

Never belittle, jettison or disregard the advice of your wife because the two of you are no longer two but one.

You must not say because you are the head, you will not listen to your wife's advice, the marriage will scatter.

Husband, you are a leader, one of the quality of a good leader is the ability to listen to the followers.

It is not a sign of weakness to submit to your wife in some areas that you cannot perform well but a sign of maturity to allow gifts, talent and inbuilt capacity to flourish.

Husband, you cannot do everything, therefore, allow your wife to contribute to the growth of the marriage.

Wife, allow your husband to be the head of the family, never take the position of the head, it is dangerous.

Two heads cannot be in the same vehicle or else the vehicle will crash.

Some women will say because I earn more than my husband, I am more knowledgeable than my husband therefore, I must be the head, No!.

Finally,wives,reverence your own husbands,
submit to him.

This is my submission.

May God help us. Amen.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by Romanoff(f): 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2022
Some men see marriage as a dictatorship o.

My word is final, what do you know, you're just a woman, who asked for your opinion, who called you here?

These are words they use to belittle their wives.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by God2man2again(m): 9:37pm On Aug 23, 2022
Romanoff:
Some men see marriage as a dictatorship o.

My word is final, what do you know, you're just a woman, who asked for your opinion, who called you here?

These are words they use to belittle their wives.

Dictatorship is not love. It is another word for domestic violence.

Are women supposed to be treated like trash? No!
What if the woman is the breadwinner of the family?

However, some women can nag ooo.
If you don't allow some women to talk, you have killed them for that day.
Generally, women like to talk.
As a mature husband, allow them to express their feelings but give them limit.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by Romanoff(f): 9:50pm On Aug 23, 2022
God2man2again:

Dictatorship is not love. It is another word for domestic violence.

Are women supposed to be treated like trash? No!
What if the woman is the breadwinner of the family?

However, some women can nag ooo.
If you don't allow some women to talk, you have killed them for that day.
Generally, women like to talk.
As a mature husband, allow them to express their feelings but give them limit.

If the woman is the bread winner of the family, that's worse o.

You haven't seen men that say they don't pray for their wives to be richer than them?
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by God2man2again(m): 8:24am On Aug 24, 2022
Romanoff:

If the woman is the bread winner of the family, that's worse o.

You haven't seen men that say they don't pray for their wives to be richer than them?

To be quiet honest with you, there are some husbands like Nabal in 1 Samuel 25: 3-44. You may wish to read the story of Nabal, Abigail and David.
Nabal means churlish, niggardly or a miser.
Nabal was very rich but was a fool.

It would be difficult for women to handle or submit to men like Nabal.
However, if you read the story very well, you discover that Abigail was a wise woman, she made sure after the feast in verse 36 of the same chapter(I samuel 25). Verse 37, in the morning, Abigail came to Nabal when the wine was gone out of him to explain to him how she avoided bloodshed in the family. Eventually, Nabal calmed down, he had to reason with Abigail because of the way Abigail handled the matter with David.

How Abigail and Nabal got married to each other is not written by the Bible but up till today, many ladies still marry rich but wicked men.
Nabal died and Abigail became David's wife.

If the husband refused to do the right thing, the wife can build her home with wisdom and vice versa, if the wife refused to the right thing, the husband can dwell with the wife with knowledge, so that there can be peace in the home.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by Romanoff(f): 8:46am On Aug 24, 2022
God2man2again:

To be quiet honest with you, there are some husbands like Nabal in 1 Samuel 25: 3-44. You may wish to read the story of Nabal, Abigail and David.
Nabal means churlish, niggardly or a miser.
Nabal was very rich but was a fool.

It would be difficult for women to handle or submit to men like Nabal.
However, if you read the story very well, you discover that Abigail was a wise woman, she made sure after the feast in verse 36 of the same chapter(I samuel 25). Verse 37, in the morning, Abigail came to Nabal when the wine was gone out of him to explain to him how she avoided bloodshed in the family. Eventually, Nabal calmed down, he had to reason with Abigail because of the way Abigail handled the matter with David.

How Abigail and Nabal got married to each other is not written by the Bible but up till today, many ladies still marry rich but wicked men.
Nabal died and Abigail became David's wife.

If the husband refused to do the right thing, the wife can build her home with wisdom and vice versa, if the wife refused to the right thing, the husband can dwell with the wife with knowledge, so that there can be peace in the home.

You've still not addressed the issue of men not wishing their wives become richer than they are.

Regarding you're last paragraph, these days, people will just up and leave over the slightest things in marriage.

The marital issues that hit front page these days will give you a clue on what I'm talking about.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by BloomingDale(f): 10:20am On Aug 24, 2022
Romanoff:

You've still not addressed the issue of men not wishing their wives become richer than they are.

Regarding you're last paragraph, these days, people will just up and leave over the slightest things in marriage.

The marital issues that hit front page these days will give you a clue on what I'm talking about.

This is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3HzjsyQOSs
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by God2man2again(m): 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2022
@ Romanoff and BloomingDale are the same person?

Why is the man on the video speaking very fast? Those words are too fast to comprehend.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by BloomingDale(f): 8:14pm On Aug 24, 2022
God2man2again:
@ Romanoff and BloomingDale are the same person?

Why is the man on the video speaking very fast? Those words are to fast to comprehend.

What? Who is Romanoff. Send me a link let me check him out. I guess he is the male version of me.

Lol. Never mind. She is on this thread.
Re: Must Husbands Submit To Their Wives Too? by God2man2again(m): 3:37am On Aug 27, 2022
BloomingDale:

What? Who is Romanoff. Send me a link let me check him out. I guess he is the male version of me.

Lol. Never mind. She is on this thread.

Where?

(1) (Reply)

How To Stop Any Spiritual Spouse With Sea Salt And Garlic / . / Problems Of Christians Begin From Their Misinterpretation Of Biblical Genesis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.