Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children (614 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by teepain: 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2022
This topic is inspired by LUAN1 and many other posters who sought to know the relationship between the height of parents and their children on a thread titled "why do Nigerian ladies love tall guys".

The mechanisms that regulate the height of children from same parents is undergirded by nature or biology but it can be explained statistically and it allows for predictive analytics.

Have you ever wondered why children of tall parents majorly end up being shorter than their tall parents? Well, it is simple to understand the rationale. If successive generations were to grow taller than their parents, then humans would grow too tall for their comfort such that some people's heads would touch the sky. Because of that risk, nature regulates the height of children such that their heights would cluster around the average of their parents' heights i.e. (mum's height + dad's height) / 2.

If mom's height is 6"2 and dad's height is 5"4 then the average of the parents' heights would be 5"9 and the childrens' height would be around that height with some plus or minus differences.

This phenomenon is explained, statistically by the concept of regression from the mean and data scientists and statisticians would be familiar with that phenomenon.

It is interesting that the concept of regression has its foundations in explaining why children of very tall parents are usually shorter than their tallest parents.

1 Like

Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by etrange: 1:16pm On Aug 26, 2022
Is this Java or C++?
Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by teepain: 1:27pm On Aug 26, 2022
etrange:
Is this Java or C++?

I was a bit confused on what section to post this topic in as the concept that underpins the whole write up is rooted in data analytics via regression algorithms. The mod of this section is at liberty to move it to any section considered more appropriate in the circumstance. Thanks.
Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by etrange: 1:52pm On Aug 26, 2022
teepain:

I was a bit confused on what section to post this topic in as the concept that underpins the whole write up is rooted in data analytics via regression algorithms. The mod of this section is at liberty to move it to any section considered more appropriate in the circumstance. Thanks.

Lmao... I was just teasing.

Your write-up is more on the data interpretation than the technicalities, but I agree with you, the mod can move it if there deem it necessary.
Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 26, 2022
teepain:

Unfortunately there's no mod here.

grin
Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by meobizy(f): 4:52pm On Aug 26, 2022
This is another front page worthy topic.

I noticed this as an adult. I always assumed children towered over parents by 1 - 3 inches. In my family, dad is 5’6/5’7 and mom is 5’9. The children range from 5’5 (me) - 5’11 (my immediate younger brother). 4 other siblings fall into 5’ 7 - 5’8. My height made me self conscious — being the shortest — until I closely observed a family picture. We were all near matched in height. Nature did not make a mistake by not adhering to the all-children-should-be-taller assumption.

My cousins face the same situation. Their mom is 5’5 while their dad is the 6’2 unicorn from a 5’8 family. The 4 children are 5’3, 5’8, 5’7 and 6’1. None as tall as dad.

Nature is a funny and cruel bitch. All it cares for is birthing the next generation.
Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by teepain: 1:37pm On Sep 03, 2022
meobizy:
This is another front page worthy topic.

I noticed this as an adult. I always assumed children towered over parents by 1 - 3 inches. In my family, dad is 5’6/5’7 and mom is 5’9. The children range from 5’5 (me) - 5’11 (my immediate younger brother). 4 other siblings fall into 5’ 7 - 5’8. My height made me self conscious — being the shortest — until I closely observed a family picture. We were all near matched in height. Nature did not make a mistake by not adhering to the all-children-should-be-taller assumption.

My cousins face the same situation. Their mom is 5’5 while their dad is the 6’2 unicorn from a 5’8 family. The 4 children are 5’3, 5’8, 5’7 and 6’1. None as tall as dad.

Nature is a funny and cruel bitch. All it cares for is birthing the next generation.

Your observations are very apt. Nature maintains a balance somewhat, all the times. The system is self correcting.
Re: Relationship Between The Height Of Parents And Their Children by LUAN1: 1:43am On Sep 21, 2022
teepain:
This topic is inspired by LUAN1 and many other posters who sought to know the relationship between the height of parents and their children on a thread titled "why do Nigerian ladies love tall guys".

The mechanisms that regulate the height of children from same parents is undergirded by nature or biology but it can be explained statistically and it allows for predictive analytics.

Have you ever wondered why children of tall parents majorly end up being shorter than their tall parents? Well, it is simple to understand the rationale. If successive generations were to grow taller than their parents, then humans would grow too tall for their comfort such that some people's heads would touch the sky. Because of that risk, nature regulates the height of children such that their heights would cluster around the average of their parents' heights i.e. (mum's height + dad's height) / 2.

If mom's height is 6"2 and dad's height is 5"4 then the average of the parents' heights would be 5"9 and the childrens' height would be around that height with some plus or minus differences.

This phenomenon is explained, statistically by the concept of regression from the mean and data scientists and statisticians would be familiar with that phenomenon.

It is interesting that the concept of regression has its foundations in explaining why children of very tall parents are usually shorter than their tallest parents.

I just need to to add up a little, 5'5" to 5'7"I will be okay

(1) (Reply)

Backend Devs Please Help Me With A Cors Error / Lucrative Project Available For A Game Developer 3D / Some Data About Sweep Instruments!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.