Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Kamikaze Attacks WW2 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kamikaze Attacks WW2 (518 Views)

World Faces Most Dangerous Decade Since WW2 - Putin / Putin To Send 'doomsday' Warning To West At Russia's WW2 Victory Parade ( Pics) / Japan Criticize Russian Withdrawal From WW2 Peace Treaty Talks Over Sanctions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 10:07pm On Aug 26, 2022
1274 and 1281 Kublai Khan, the Mongol emperor of China, sent out great fleets to conquer Japan. Providential storms dispersed the fleets on both occasions and reinforced the Japanese belief that their gods would forever protect them. To the Japanese this salvation was kamikaze, “divine wind.”

In World War II Japanese pilots who were willing to give up their lives to help save their country by destroying American ships through suicidal attacks, were the members of a special corps named kamikaze after the storm that had saved Japan seven centuries earlier.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kamikaze

HMS formidable goes up in flame after being hit by Japanese Kamikaze close to Iwo jima in 1945

1 Like

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 10:08pm On Aug 26, 2022
USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) afire after being hit by two kamikaze suicide planes. Photographed from USS Bataan (CVL-29). On the morning of May 11, 1945, while supporting the Okinawa invasion, Bunker Hill was hit and severely damaged by two suicide planes. Gasoline fires flamed up around fueled and armed planes and several explosions took place. One of the two suicide pilots was Imperial Japanese Navy Ensign Kiyoshi Ogawa (1922-1945)

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 10:17pm On Aug 26, 2022
A US battle ship struck by kamikaze

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Defaramade(m): 10:18pm On Aug 26, 2022
A desperate and wasteful tactic that was unable to prevent Japan's inevitable defeat in the Pacific theatre of WW 2.

1 Like

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 10:19pm On Aug 26, 2022
Kiyoshi ogawa was a Japanese kamikaze pilot who flew through American anti-aircraft fire, and attacked the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill in may 1945.

Ogawa struck the vessel killing 396 and wounding 264. Those were the heaviest casualties ever inflicted by a single kamikaze attack, he is a kamikaze hero in Japan till this day.

2 Shares

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by greatness77: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2022
Defaramade:
A desperate and wasteful tactic that was unable to prevent Japan's inevitable defeat in the Pacific theatre of WW 2.
u are a big lier
Japan surrendered as a result of atomic bomb and plutonium bomb
Even when the atomic bomb landed japan continued fighting until cowardice American soldiers who have lost over 20,000 soldiers due to kamikaze dropped the plutonium bomb
Ok

1 Like

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Ahmback(m): 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2022
greatness77:
u are a big lier
Even when the atomic bomb landed japan continued fighting until cowardice American soldiers who have lost over 20,000 soldiers due to kamikaze dropped the plutonium bomb
Ok
the first A-bomb was plutonium-made while the second was uranium

2 Likes

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2022
greatness77:
u are a big lier
Ok
You are right bro, its surprising that the US couldn't even move their forces to attack the Japanese mainlands, it would have been very difficult for them though hence they opted to the use of the atomic bombs.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Defaramade(m): 3:52am On Aug 28, 2022
greatness77:
u are a big lier
Ok
Yen yen yen... Did the Kamikaze attacks stop Japan's eventual defeat at the end or not?
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by greatness77: 10:11am On Aug 28, 2022
Defaramade:
Yen yen yen... Did the Kamikaze attacks stop Japan's eventual defeat at the end or not?
Japan annihilatiated America fleet in the Pacific which made America use atomic bomb
Without atomic us wouldn't have triumphed
Atomic and plutonium bomb gave America victory ok
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Defaramade(m): 10:38am On Aug 28, 2022
greatness77:
Japan annihilatiated America fleet in the Pacific which made America use atomic bomb
Without atomic us wouldn't have triumphed
Atomic and plutonium bomb gave America victory ok
Japan did not annihilate the American fleet. It was a surprise attack on the US Navy Ships stationed at Pearl Harbour by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) which destroyed some Ships and damaged some others of which most of the ships were later repaired and were able to participate in the naval battles of the Pacific war. In fact it was the US naval forces that almost annihilated the IJN in the battle of midway where the Japanese lost most of their experienced naval fighter pilots, aircrafts and aircraft carriers. This was partly why they adopted the Kamikaze tactic against the US naval forces in desperation after suffering huge losses in the Battle of Midway and other naval battles.

2 Likes

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by greatness77: 1:36pm On Aug 28, 2022
Defaramade:
Japan did not annihilate the American fleet. It was a surprise attack on the US Navy Ships stationed at Pearl Harbour by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) which destroyed some Ships and damaged some others of which most of the ships were later repaired and were able to participate in the naval battles of the Pacific war. In fact it was the US naval forces that almost annihilated the IJN in the battle of midway where the Japanese lost most of their experienced naval fighter pilots, aircrafts and aircraft carriers. This was partly why they adopted the Kamikaze tactic against the US naval forces in desperation after suffering huge losses in the Battle of Midway and other naval battles.
a puppet is always a puppet, pearl harbor is different from kamikaze nawaooo!!
America have not entered the war they were neutral ok, it was pearl harbor attack that draw usa into the war
But kamikaze started towards the end of the war as America strike group is approaching japan and Japanese soldiers have already surrendered to the soviets in eastern Europe, japan have thousands of kamikaze warriors when atomic and plutonium flash was wrecking havoc in their cities
America using nuke to bully japan is an act of cowardice grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Defaramade(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2022
greatness77:
a puppet is always a puppet, pearl harbor is different from kamikaze nawaooo!!
America have not entered the war they were neutral ok, it was pearl harbor attack that draw usa into the war
But kamikaze started towards the end of the war as America strike group is approaching japan and Japanese soldiers have already surrendered to the soviets in eastern Europe, japan have thousands of kamikaze warriors when atomic and plutonium flash was wrecking havoc in their cities
America using nuke to bully japan is an act of cowardice grin grin
Omo arguing with you is exasperating oh. You were the one that posted that Japan annihilated the American fleet in the Pacific which prompted my reference to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. Please point out to me where Japan annihilated America's fleet in the Pacific so that I will know how to reply you because it seems you cannot argue your points without resorting to personal attacks. You quoted my first post calling me "a big lair" and now I'm a "puppet" because you don't agree with my opinions, which is a very poor way of presenting your arguments. I'll ignore your ad hominem attacks for now but I want you to please point out to me the specific battle where Japan annihilated the American fleet in the Pacific.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by greatness77: 9:48pm On Aug 28, 2022
Defaramade:
Omo arguing with you is exasperating oh. You were the one that posted that Japan annihilated the American fleet in the Pacific which prompted my reference to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. Please point out to me where Japan annihilated America's fleet in the Pacific so that I will know how to reply you because it seems you cannot argue your points without resorting to personal attacks. You quoted my first post calling me "a big lair" and now I'm a "puppet" because you don't agree with my opinions, which is a very poor way of presenting your arguments. I'll ignore your ad hominem attacks for now but I want you to please point out to me the specific battle where Japan annihilated the American fleet in the Pacific.
you are contradicting yourself,
Kamikaze attack took place in the Pacific and lytt gulf, japan didn't use kamikaze during the pearl harbor attack, dive bombers is not kamikaze, pearl harbor attack started in 1941, while kamikaze started in 1944 in Pacific

1 Like

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 11:13pm On Aug 28, 2022
Defaramade:
the answer to your question is no, but according to a US Air Force analysis, they did succeed in sinking or damaging more ships than anything else that the Japanese could have done at that stage of the war.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by basilico: 11:51pm On Aug 28, 2022
greatness77:
u are a big lier
Ok

Japs surrender because of nuclear bomb whether atomic or plutonium which they did and do not have

1 Like

Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Defaramade(m): 7:47am On Aug 29, 2022
greatness77:
you are contradicting yourself,
Kamikaze attack took place in the Pacific and lytt gulf, japan didn't use kamikaze during the pearl harbor attack, dive bombers is not kamikaze, pearl harbor attack started in 1941, while kamikaze started in 1944 in Pacific
I know about Pearl Harbour and the Kamikaze attacks but you said Japan annihilated American fleet in the Pacific which caused the US to drop nuclear weapons on Japan so I want you to tell me when or where Japan annihilated America's fleet.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Defaramade(m): 7:58am On Aug 29, 2022
mysticwarrior:
the answer to your question is no, but according to a US Air Force analysis, they did succeed in sinking or damaging more ships than anything else that the Japanese could have done at that stage of the war.
Very true and the reason Japan started using Kamikaze attacks was because at that point they've lost many of their experienced pilots, aircrafts, battleships and carriers. The U.S by that time had seized the initiative of the war from Japan and was steadily closing in on the Japanese home island. The Kamikaze attacks were a last ditch attempt to prevent Japan from losing the war which was ultimately unsuccessful at the end.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Faithti(m): 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2022
For the OP and the defendant
A brief history of the kamikaze attacks
Kamikaze (神風, pronounced [kamiꜜkaze]; "divine wind" or "spirit wind"wink, officially Shinpū Tokubetsu Kōgekitai (神風特別攻撃隊, "Divine Wind Special Attack Unit"wink, were a part of the Japanese Special Attack Units of military aviators who flew suicide attacks for the Empire of Japan against Allied naval vessels in the closing stages of the Pacific campaign of World War II, intending to destroy warships more effectively than with conventional air attacks. About 3,800 KAMIKAZE PILOTS died during the war, and more than 7,000 NAVAL PERSONNEL WERE KILLED by kamikaze attacks.
Kamikaze aircraft were essentially pilot-guided explosive missiles, purpose-built or converted from conventional aircraft. Pilots would attempt to crash their aircraft into enemy ships in what was called a "body attack" (tai-atari) in aircraft loaded with bombs, torpedoes and or other explosives. About 19% of kamikaze attacks were successful.[2] The Japanese considered the goal of damaging or sinking large numbers of Allied ships to be a just reason for suicide attacks; kamikaze was more accurate than conventional attacks and often caused more damage. Some kamikazes were still able to hit their targets even after their aircraft had been crippled.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Faithti(m): 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2022
During 1943–1944, U.S. forces steadily advanced toward Japan. Newer U.S.-made aircraft, especially the Grumman F6F Hellcat and Vought F4U Corsair, outclassed and soon outnumbered Japan's fighters. Tropical diseases, as well as shortages of spare parts and fuel, made operations more and more difficult for the IJNAS. By the Battle of the Philippine Sea (June 1944), the Japanese had to make do with obsolete aircraft and inexperienced aviators in the fight against better-trained and more experienced US Navy airmen who flew radar-directed combat air patrols. The Japanese lost over 400 carrier-based aircraft and pilots in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, effectively putting an end to their carriers' potency. Allied aviators called the action the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.
The carrier battles in 1942, particularly Midway, inflicted irreparable damage on the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service (IJNAS), such that they could no longer put together a large number of fleet carriers with well-trained aircrews.[16] Japanese planners had assumed a quick war and lacked comprehensive programs to replace the losses of ships, pilots, and sailors; and Midway; the Solomon Islands campaign (1942–1945) and the New Guinea campaign (1942–1945), notably the Battles of Eastern Solomons (August 1942); and Santa Cruz (October 1942), decimated the IJNAS veteran aircrews, and replacing their combat experience proved impossible.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Faithti(m): 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2022
The attacks began in October 1944, at a time when the war was looking increasingly bleak for the Japanese. They had lost several important battles, many of their best pilots had been killed, their aircraft were becoming outdated, and they had lost command of the air. Japan was losing pilots faster than it could train their replacements, and the nation's industrial capacity was diminishing relative to that of the Allies. These factors, along with Japan's unwillingness to surrender, led to the use of kamikaze tactics as Allied forces advanced towards the Japanese home islands.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by Faithti(m): 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2022
I hope by my little history lesson both of you will REST.
Re: Kamikaze Attacks WW2 by mysticwarrior(m): 6:20am On Sep 01, 2022
Faithti:
For the OP and the defendant
A brief history of the kamikaze attacks
Kamikaze (神風, pronounced [kamiꜜkaze]; "divine wind" or "spirit wind"wink, officially Shinpū Tokubetsu Kōgekitai (神風特別攻撃隊, "Divine Wind Special Attack Unit"wink, were a part of the Japanese Special Attack Units of military aviators who flew suicide attacks for the Empire of Japan against Allied naval vessels in the closing stages of the Pacific campaign of World War II, intending to destroy warships more effectively than with conventional air attacks. About 3,800 KAMIKAZE PILOTS died during the war, and more than 7,000 NAVAL PERSONNEL WERE KILLED by kamikaze attacks.
Kamikaze aircraft were essentially pilot-guided explosive missiles, purpose-built or converted from conventional aircraft. Pilots would attempt to crash their aircraft into enemy ships in what was called a "body attack" (tai-atari) in aircraft loaded with bombs, torpedoes and or other explosives. About 19% of kamikaze attacks were successful.[2] The Japanese considered the goal of damaging or sinking large numbers of Allied ships to be a just reason for suicide attacks; kamikaze was more accurate than conventional attacks and often caused more damage. Some kamikazes were still able to hit their targets even after their aircraft had been crippled.
you are correct, Kamikazes were effective psychological weapon. They struck terror into the heart of American sailors/pilots who faced them.

(1) (Reply)

Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro Declines To Concede Defeat(photos) / Expect More Widening Of The Ukraine Conflict / China Gives Green Light To Nuclear Reactor That Burns Thorium – A Fuel That Coul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.