Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal (4181 Views)

Legislators Agree To Belt-tightening, Cut N’assembly’s Budget By 25%-thisday / Jonathan Denies Initiating Single-term Plan / Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by koruji(m): 2:19am On Aug 09, 2011
President GEJ takes constitutional review very lightly - this approach is revealing something about his approach to problem-solving . As mentioned in the article below ill-conceived & ill-timed. A little on the selfish side.

For the upteenth time there are reasons why the best democracries world over somehow stick with two terms of 4 years. A president that discusses very little with the nation cannot suddenly imagine himself to be wiser than the accumulated wisdom of these experiences.

The same fate that is befalling the "single term" proposal will befall the the "state of origin" proposal. I predict that the latter will die an even quicker death than the former. It is again ill-conceived, and kind of contradictory to the president's situation. He is from a state where they have gone to war over resource control and he became president precisely because for the first time ever a representative of Nigeria's source of foreign kudi stood for the presidency.

So, is the Niger Delta suggesting that they will now consider non-Niger Deltans as residents for resource allocation purposes? They don't want resource control anymore - just because by happenstance they found one of their sons in the presidency? You better believe that if you give a region's position to another region the former has the right to claim residency with respect to other issues e.g. resource control. Moreover, given the glee with which some people are waiting to use the "state of origin" proposal the other regions of the nation are going to make sure it goes to the dustbin.

You don't end tribalism by attempting to sweep ethnic identities under the carpet - what your are inviting is greater chaos. It is another shovel of sand in the unitary hole we started digging when the military took over in the 1960s - look where it got us today. More divided than ever.

Besides there are more fundamental issues that GEJ is leaving unaddressed. Security, Education, Corruption - not "oh lack of residency won't allow my friend to be a minister in my cabinet, so I  am going to change the constitution" kind of problem solving.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/09/national-09-08-2011-001.html
From ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOIYI, Abuja
Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Political inexpediency and ill-timing may have forced President Goodluck Jonathan to temporarily back down from presenting a single-term tenure bill of six years for the office of the President and state governors. Presidential spokesman, Dr. Reuben Abati told newsmen last month that President Jonathan was contemplating forwarding a bill of single term tenure for the President and governors in a fresh round of amendment of the 1999 Constitution.

But the plan has run into a hitch.
Daily Sun reported last week that the single term proposal suffered a setback when some legal experts engaged by the Villa to deliberate on the propriety of the bill differed on the proposal.

Fresh facts however, emerged yesterday that the decision to shelve the single term tenure bill for now was because of the inability of the president to secure the consent of the National Assembly.

The leadership of the National Assembly flatly refused to accept the proposal, which was considered ill-timed.
Besides, there is no fund allocated in the 2011 Appropriation Act for amendment of the Constitution.
Sources told Daily Sun yesterday that the President met the leadership of the National Assembly on plans to introduce the bill.
They told him to drop the idea, it was gathered. The leadership of the National Assembly reportedly told the President that the idea was not only ill-conceived, it was also ill-timed.

A ranking Senator privy to the meeting recounted how “the leadership told the President that such a weighty and sensitive bill should not have come from the Presidency in the first place.
“They told the President that he should have allowed the bill to emanate from the National Assembly, at best, from the Constitution Review Committee (CRC) when it decides to go ahead with another review of the 1999 Constitution.”
An analogy was drawn between the single term tenure bill and the third term clause which was defeated during the amendment of the Constitution during the fifth National Assembly.

In related development, it was also gathered that the decision to suspend the single term tenure proposal may actually have a remote factor in the paucity of funds in the National Assembly.
There is zero allocation for Constitution review in the 2011 budget. “That is why nothing has happened concerning the Constitution review since the inauguration of the seventh National Assembly.

“It is true that the House of Representatives has constituted a 37-member committee for its own CRC, but the Senate has not followed suit. This is because there is just no money for the exercise to start at all.

“Both Houses are looking in the direction of the management of the National Assembly for a loan to kick-start the exercise but it is not yet clear whether money can be borrowed from that source.

Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Beaf: 4:41am On Aug 09, 2011
I wish you would talk about the President without attempting to drag the name of the ND in dirt. If you don't like the President, it really is down to you to approach matters outside of muddying his ethnicity or section.
The primitive sentiments that your approach relies on are the exact thing the President is attempting to erase. If Nigerians like yourself decide to sing hurrah to ethnic bigotry, at least it is known that someone in position tried to banish it.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by seanet02: 5:29am On Aug 09, 2011
Odechukwu and his selfish ideologies.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by koruji(m): 5:58am On Aug 09, 2011
@Beaf
I wish you would stop replying to my posts with accusations of ethic bigotry and the like. You know that is far from the truth. However, ethnic identity is very important. The bigots are the ones who telling their hosts that all they need is that law to take over the rulership of their states, openly preaching division among Yorubas. It was only "yesterday" that the same people were preaching violence to ensure that ACN does not have a toehold in their regions because it is a "Yoruba" party - and you were one of those lending tacit support. All of a sudden such people are championing the loosening of state residence rules because they have fleeting power.

Don't accuse me of not liking the president either as that is also completely untrue. What I don't like is this focus of his on things that are less useful to Nigerians. What I said about the ND is actually something that people of the region will soon realize to be true. And if you think this is about the ND here is another example. You and others have complained vehemently about Fulani herdsmen grazing their cattles without respect for the original residents. Of course this is a completely untenable situation. What I see emanating from the President's 6 month residence bill is that it will give some legitimacy, or at least some excuse, to this kind of behavior. Again I say if a person can reside in my state for 6 months and take the appointment meant for my state, why can't I put my cattle on any land that is fallow in his state. Do we want a true Federation or are we simply trying to perfect the completely imperfect amalgation that Lugard started. If he were alive today Lugard would be ashamed that we have figured out how to come up with a better arrangement yet.

In other words, there are far-reaching consequences of changing the constitution to make someone eligible for taking up a state's appointment after 6 months of residence. It is a backdoor approach to getting rid of the Federal Character. The problem is if you get rid of the Federal Character before you actually make this a true Federal system what you end up with will be worse than if you left it all alone.

One of the most transformative things a Nigerian president could do for our good is to open up the channel of communication and discussion before embarking on major changes. IBB came close to that, but he was such a deceitful personality it didn't matter at the end of the day.

Beaf:

I wish you would talk about the President without attempting to drag the name of the ND in dirt. If you don't like the President, it really is down to you to approach matters outside of muddying his ethnicity or section.
The primitive sentiments that your approach relies on are the exact thing the President is attempting to erase. If Nigerians like yourself decide to sing hurrah to ethnic bigotry, at least it is known that someone in position tried to banish it.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Beaf: 9:15am On Aug 09, 2011
I wish you would stop replying to my posts with accusations of ethic bigotry and the like. You know that is far from the truth. However, ethnic identity is very important. The bigots are the ones who telling their hosts that all they need is that law to take over the rulership of their states, openly preaching division among Yorubas. It was only "yesterday" that the same people were preaching violence to ensure that ACN does not have a toehold in their regions because it is a "Yoruba" party - and you were one of those lending tacit support. All of a sudden such people are championing the loosening of state residence rules because they have fleeting power.

Dude, those who were afraid of having ACN in their backyards were scared because of ACN's unhidden ethnic bias. These are people who have fought long battles to free themselves from the thumb of the core-North who similarly care only for themselves. Any other party would find the ND to be fertile and welcoming; from Labour to DPP to ANPP etc. The opening up of state of residence rights is totally different to a fight against exploitation and continued enslavement.

Don't accuse me of not liking the president either as that is also completely untrue. What I don't like is this focus of his on things that are less useful to Nigerians. What I said about the ND is actually something that people of the region will soon realize to be true. And if you think this is about the ND here is another example. You and others have complained vehemently about Fulani herdsmen grazing their cattles without respect for the original residents. Of course this is a completely untenable situation. What I see emanating from the President's 6 month residence bill is that it will give some legitimacy, or at least some excuse, to this kind of behavior. Again I say if a person can reside in my state for 6 months and take the appointment meant for my state, why can't I put my cattle on any land that is fallow in his state. Do we want a true Federation or are we simply trying to perfect the completely imperfect amalgation that Lugard started. If he were alive today Lugard would be ashamed that we have figured out how to come up with a better arrangement yet.

Anybody that has grown up in the ND is very welcome to share its resources, afterall they drink and bath from the same polluted water as us. They suffer the same asthma's and cancers, so why shouldn't they have the same rights as ND people?
The quest for resource control is not pursued out of greed; that is the lure for politicians and other parasites whose eyes are glazed over by dollar signs. The quest for resource control is in very stack terms, the battle for survival that can only be won when the welfare of our environment is in our own hands. The UN study of Ogoni land should have driven the nak'ed truth home to every Nigerian. Ogoni land is quite small, but would cost $1billion to clean up; extrapolating that result across the whole ND which is very much as polluted, would only lead to mind boggling and surreal cleanup estimates.

There are Hausa people who were born in places like Warri and haven't the slightest clue where "home" is; there are also tonnes Yoruba's who were born and bred there. A great example is AY, personally I find it difficult not to see him as Urhobo, he is making a living off the culture he imbibed and the comedians he moves with are mainly Urhobo. He inhaled the same noxious fumes from gas flares, he speaks the lingo and walks the walk. Dude, AY is as much an ND person as I am, so is Nneka the musician and a thousand and one others.

I cannot fathom how those I grew up with could ever be a threat to my cultural or ethnic identity simply they belong to different ethnic groups.

In any event, all these arguments about ethnicity and identity have nothing whatsoever to do with the 6 year tenure proposal.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by coded777: 12:56pm On Aug 09, 2011
I like dis beef
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 09, 2011
Oga Jona, please be focus.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by koruji(m): 1:10pm On Aug 09, 2011
I understand these points, but they don't justify giving someone the right to take up a state's appointment  after 6 months of residing there. Your example points to people who were born & bred in a state, so we are talking years here not months.

Doesn't it seem ironic that a group of people would claim they fought to free themselves from domination, but at every turn make in-your-face statements of how they are going to dominate other ethnic groups? I think the bigots know themselves.

Beaf:

Dude, those who were afraid of having ACN in their backyards were scared because of ACN's unhidden ethnic bias. These are people who have fought long battles to free themselves from the thumb of the core-North who similarly care only for themselves. Any other party would find the ND to be fertile and welcoming; from Labour to DPP to ANPP etc. The opening up of state of residence rights is totally different to a fight against exploitation and continued enslavement.

Anybody that has grown up in the ND is very welcome to share its resources, afterall they drink and bath from the same polluted water as us. They suffer the same asthma's and cancers, so why shouldn't they have the same rights as ND people?
The quest for resource control is not pursued out of greed; that is the lure for politicians and other parasites whose eyes are glazed over by dollar signs. The quest for resource control is in very stack terms, the battle for survival that can only be won when the welfare of our environment is in our own hands. The UN study of Ogoni land should have driven the nak'ed truth home to every Nigerian. Ogoni land is quite small, but would cost $1billion to clean up; extrapolating that result across the whole ND which is very much as polluted, would only lead to mind boggling and surreal cleanup estimates.

There are Hausa people who were born in places like Warri and haven't the slightest clue where "home" is; there are also tonnes Yoruba's who were born and bred there. A great example is AY, personally I find it difficult not to see him as Urhobo, he is making a living off the culture he imbibed and the comedians he moves with are mainly Urhobo. He inhaled the same noxious fumes from gas flares, he speaks the lingo and walks the walk. Dude, AY is as much an ND person as I am, so is Nneka the musician and a thousand and one others.

I cannot fathom how those I grew up with could ever be a threat to my cultural or ethnic identity simply they belong to different ethnic groups.

In any event, all these arguments about ethnicity and identity have nothing whatsoever to do with the 6 year tenure proposal.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by b0dnel: 1:15pm On Aug 09, 2011
[size=28pt]I am begining to like Beaf[/size]

see as you wan use grammar finish the guy, u be Kris Okotie twin brother?
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Beaf: 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2011
^
Dude, I appreciate it, but Koruji is a guy I really admire on NL. The argument is robust, but thats all it is.

koruji:

I understand these points, but they don't justify giving someone the right to take up a state's appointment  after 6 months of residing there. Your example points to people who were born & bred in a state, so we are talking years here not months.

Doesn't it seem ironic that a group of people would claim they fought to free themselves from domination, but at every turn make in-your-face statements of how they are going to dominate other ethnic groups? I think the bigots know themselves.

Who are these people, where did they make these "in-your-face" statements and who do they propose to dominate? You still have not addressed the reason why Jonathans ethnicity and the fact that he hails from ND are relevant points in an argument about the 6 year tenure proposal. I'm sure quite a few will be interested in the connection.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 1:39pm On Aug 09, 2011
Beaf:

This guy cannot be for real! Are you a professional spin master or it's just a hobby?

Look at how this idiooooot is hiding his bigoted lies and spin behind words and phrases, only a foooool will fail to see your tactic. For every example you bring up, I bet Koruji can bring a thousand from Lagos and across the southwest and east.

So you mention ND hospitality just to talk down ACN as a bigoted party?  shocked

Please tell us of any part of Nigeria more accomodating or welcoming to all Nigerians than Lagos and most of the Southwest, areas controlled by the same ACN

I may not like all these idiooots stoking ethnic hatred online, but the real Southwesterners I see in real life are definitely not bigoted. There is no part of Nigeria that has more non indigenes living in them than the southwest part of Nigeria.

I don't think you live in Nigeria at all. Your comment is filled with insinuations that shows your bigotry, only the stuuuupidly blinded will fail to see it.

I can't believe that there are still idioooooots licking up this guy's words on this website, it is as clear as day that he has an agenda.

This Beaf guy is a very angry bigot. It's very obvious now.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Beaf: 1:50pm On Aug 09, 2011
^
I'm above your type. Thank you.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by ektbear: 1:51pm On Aug 09, 2011
Nice posts, Koruji.

Btw, I actually don't think this single-term proposal is a bad idea (at least in theory.) But since it doesn't look like it will fly, I guess no real point in me spending time defending it.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2011
As much as i will like to see a united strong nigeria, the two proposals by GEJ as regards d single term and eradication of state of origin is not d solution to d immediate basic amenity problems of electricity,good roads,unemployment,health care,good drinkin water,secutiry,ND e.t.c. I'm a niger deltan and a fan of our president but wit dis proposals, i cant help but bliv dat GEJ is clueless as to how to solve nigeria's problems. If nigeria is too complicated to govern, then GEJ shud say so and lets divide d country amicably now dt we all can still sit down eye ball to eye ball and discuss, because tins will seriously get out of hand if by 2015 we are still where we are! Smhll to eye ball and discuss, because tins will seriously get out of hand if by 2015 we are still where we are! Smh
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2011
time will tell undecided undecided undecided
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by blacksta(m): 1:58pm On Aug 09, 2011
Good riddance to rubbish  - whilst Rome is burning  -  Very ill timed bill and shows the kind of monsters who are ruling Nigeria.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 2:00pm On Aug 09, 2011
Beaf:

^
I'm above your type. Thank you.

I know fooool.

That's why I can see right through your bullllshittt. I look up and I can see clearly grin
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by BetaThings: 2:08pm On Aug 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Nice posts, Koruji.

Btw, I actually don't think this single-term proposal is a bad idea (at least in theory.) But since it doesn't look like it will fly, I guess no real point in me spending time defending it.
Social policies are not as easy as you and the president think. The problem we have cannot be solved by formulas. Single-term can be easily abused. What if we after 6 months discover that a governor/president is not performing or corrupt
Gbenga Daniel has demonstrated how to frustrate impeachment attempts.
The guy would still have been there if he came in under a 6-year single-term structure

On state of origin, GEJ does not get it. Will people eliminate names, languages etc? When there is a major crisis, people would go back to their ethnic roots. Even in developed countries. Look at what happened to Japanese Americans during the WWII, were they not rounded up on the suspicion of being sympathetic to Japanese cause
or even Alberto Fujimori (actually a Japanese) who became PM in Peru. When he had problems, Japan gave him the greatest support
Social integration has to be given time to develop
If Nigeria were that cohesive (ready to abandon state of origin) the map of Nigeria (based on 2011 presidential election results) would not have been so neat
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by hakanai(m): 2:09pm On Aug 09, 2011
@beaf
Never thought you would someday sound so nationalistic.Not withstanding Its only fair to admit ,when someone makes good sense.I like your post here.Just try on the other hand to water down the constant blame of Nigeria woes on the Core North.That in itself does not present the truth and sounds like someone being told, the bogey man story from childhood mentality.
We are all victims of corrupt people from various zones and religion.If the core north is to blame,I never saw any of there accomplice from other regions complain all this while.Except for when it comes to power hustles.Which keeps the ordinary man out always.yet you find it easy to always generalize.I respect some of your views but others you sound bias. undecided undecided
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:20pm On Aug 09, 2011
i've not agreed with beaf on many issues but on this issue of states of origin and residence, i think i've got his back. while six months is too short a period to grant someone rights of a native, I think it would be unfair to deny someone who has grown up and lived all his life in a particular place to have less rights than an indigene.

i'm not a south westerner but i've lived nearly all my life in lagos. in my area, mosquitoes were not selective, they bit us all, indigene or not. whenever NEPA decides to go on a hiatus, it's all of us, indigenes and settlers alike that slept in the heat and darkness. those bad roads were plied by all of us, no roads were for indigenes only. so when development eventually arrived the area, would it mean that the indigenes were more deserving of it than those that settled amongst them, simply because they are native to that area?

I think it's high time people that are not natives to a place have a stronger voice as regards the government of a place their taxs have helped developed and their personal efforts have helped improved. I don't live in the US so i'm not sure how it's done there, but i'd like to find out wether the operate a state of residency system or state of origin system.nd settlers alike that slept in the heat and darkness. those bad roads were plied by all of us, no roads were for indigenes only. so when development eventually arrived the area, would it mean that the indigenes were more deserving of it than those that settled amongst them, simply because they are native to that area?

I think it's high time people that are not natives to a place have a stronger voice as regards the government of a place their taxs have helped developed and their personal efforts have helped improved. I don't live in the US so i'm not sure how it's done there, but i'd like to find out wether the operate a state of residency system or state of origin system.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by jmaine: 2:28pm On Aug 09, 2011
Good discussion we have here grin grin . . .very civil with good laid out points from contributors except lipsrsealed . . . .  . . . .
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 2:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
Don't be foooled people the issue is not about term limits, one can make an argument for that, even state of origin can be removed, but to blame a small opposition political party for the problem of Nigeria is disingenuous and Insane.

If you want State of origin removed then remove federal character too, promote an ideology that Nigerians can rally round, not this chop and die shallowness we currently practice.

If you want term limits, not in this atmosphere where you can easily solve the problems that you believe necessitated it ; run away corruption, impunity, inept police force, a silly INEC at the mercy of the ruling executive. Tackling those issues will give you the political capital to spend on term limit and other things.

But you are owing Nigerians a lot of "trust debt" as a leader, you have failed to pay and still you want to withdraw more from our "trust account" ? Even when you clearly have enough to pay us back! That is arrogant stupidity!

All these issues can be solved, but you ignore them and expect us to trust your grand agenda? We are not all foooools you know.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by juman(m): 2:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
Hmmmm
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Thatdave(m): 3:09pm On Aug 09, 2011
GEJ is just a genuis!

Ride on mr. president, we are behind u!

all haters on the floor!
i am the seniour prefect!
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by Sike(m): 3:20pm On Aug 09, 2011
Total Support!Total Support!
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by aikuda(m): 3:59pm On Aug 09, 2011
This is one of the most robust discussion I have ever seen here on NL except for maybe one response. Look, everyone that has commented has a valid point. Beaf is absolutely right in his submission. And so is koruji. That is why we require a compromise- six months may be too short to earn the same right as an indigine. Perhaps we can make it three years or even five years. The important point is that there should be a way for someone who has resided and contributed to a state to have the same opportunities as everone else in the state. It just make sense.

As for the timing, I dont see any thing wrong with having these discussions now. If not now, then when? These are some of the policies that can strengten our federalsim and dilute on tribal affilitaions. If i as a benin man, i know that if I work hard in sokoto, i can one day rise to be anything I want, i will makesure sokoto prospers and I will feel more aligned with my brothers and sisters who are the original indigenes.

Those criticising these policies have a point but the benefits of these kinds of policies usually come after many years. It is not immediate.  If a lot of nigerians can go to countires like the united states and canada to be citizens and qualify to take up important positions why can such people qualify to take up important political positions in other states of their own country?
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2011
I think it's high time people that are not natives to a place have a stronger voice as regards the government of a place their taxs have helped developed and their personal efforts have helped improved. I don't live in the US so i'm not sure how it's done there, but i'd like to find out wether the operate a state of residency system or state of origin system.nd settlers alike that slept in the heat and darkness. those bad roads were plied by all of us, no roads were for indigenes only. so when development eventually arrived the area, would it mean that the indigenes were more deserving of it than those that settled amongst them, simply because they are native to that area?

I think it's high time people that are not natives to a place have a stronger voice as regards the government of a place their taxs have helped developed and their personal efforts have helped improved. I don't live in the US so i'm not sure how it's done there, but i'd like to find out wether the operate a state of residency system or state of origin system.

This is the problem: There is nothing wrong with the quest for a stronger voice, unfortunately this foooolish politicians are confusing better governance with state of origin issue.

Look around you, are indigenes suffering less than you? Not where I live.

Except for those who think being an indigene will help them become governor so they can loot public money for their family too, We are all victims of the same misrule no matter who is governor of your state or president, our votes fail to count equally

The corrupt antics and impunity of our leaders is the one thing common to all Nigerian states regardless of origin or indigenisation issue. Unfortunately, that is the only thing they've refused to address or get tough on. Public corruption.

For example, All Lagos schools accept you and give you free education regardless of origin, and the government chop our money and taxes equally,( at least in places where we pay taxes) same in Delta state or any other state. They don't take and chop non-indigene money and leave indigenes, the oppression is equal.

This indigene talk, while nice sounding, are just diversionary souless tactics to keep the gullible ones confused. There are so many bills GEJ can use his power and influence to push today that will impact your lives immediately.

1. State Police with independent local powers, emphasis on independent (same for EFCC and other law enforcement agencies)

2. Salaries and benefits of politicians pegged to a fixed living wage amount ( if you don't like it, leave office and start a business) No one should be rich and comfortable on political office salary in a country where so many live on less than $2 a day. It is a sin!

3. Dismantle federal character laws and allow Nigeria to operate on merit, ( we are all the same right? )

4. Reform land use act, and remove executive control over lands and resources.

5. Put government on a tax pay cheque I.e FG government revenue must be from tax receipts, corporate, and individual, no more direct control of oil receipt funds.

And many more. .

All this attempt at term limit and state origin is halfhearted nonsense, intended to fool the gullible. Na so dem start with NYSC = Unity, corruption killed the whole thing undecided. Where is the unity now?
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by kodewrita(m): 4:32pm On Aug 09, 2011
okada_man:

This is the problem: There is nothing wrong with the quest for a stronger voice, unfortunately this foooolish politicians are confusing better governance with state of origin issue.

Look around you, are indigenes suffering less than you? Not where I live.

Except for those who think being an indigene will help them become governor so you can loot public money for their family too, We are all victims of the same misrule no matter who is governor of your state or president, our votes fail to count equally

The corrupt antics and impunity of our leaders is the one thing common to all Nigerian states regardless of origin or indigenisation issue. Unfortunately, that is the only thing they've refused to address or get tough on. Public corruption.

For example, All Lagos schools accept you and give you free education regardless of origin, and the government chop our money and taxes equally, same in Delta state ( where we pay taxes) they don't take non-indigene money and leave indigenes, the oppression is equal.

This indigene talk, while nice sounding, are just diversionary souless tactics to keep the gullible ones confused. There are so many bills GEJ can use his power and influence to push today that will impact your lives immediately.

1. State Police with independent local powers, emphasis on independent (same for EFCC and other law enforcement agencies)
2. Salaries and bebefits of politicians pegged to a fixed living wage amount ( if you don't like it, leave office and start a business) No one should be rich and comfortable on political office salary on a country where so many live on less than $2 a day. It is a sin!

3. Dismantle federal character laws and allow Nigerian to operate on merit, ( we are all the same right? )
4. Reform land use act, and make remove executive control over lands and resources.
5. Put government on a tax pay cheque I.e FG government money be from tax receipts, corporate, and individual, no more direct control of oil receipt funds.

And many more. .

All this attempt at term limit and state origin is halfhearted nonsense, intended to fool the gullible.

I submit that okada_man has been the most logical so far.

Defending a 6-year single term is simply sycophancy in my view. This is a common tool of dictators the world over. Chavez did it at the beginning of his reign, abolishing 4-year terms and relying on 7-year terms.

Am guessing GEJ learnt this in Uganda on his trip there. Museveni reelects himself every 7 years and nobody can stop him even if the press makes noise every time he does it. Please tell the boy that grew with no shoes that we will not allow that.

And using the cost of elections as an excuse is dumb too. Lets not have elections then. Let the same crooks that are selecting the presidents do so publicly and ignore our wishes. Essentially you are saying nigerians should only express themselves every 6 years.

The threat of non-reelection is one of the few weapons the electorate has, yet you want to remove this to satisfy what motive exactly. How will that solve our problems exactly and how does it guarantee good governance.

If he's so trustworthy, why introduce it so early in his tenure and why is he silent on his participation/otherwise in the new dispensation if the bill is passed.

Jona will not be allowed to pull the wool over our eyes. Let him know that.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2011
I edited my post for clarity. Sorry, I was using a phone. Message still the same.
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 5:07pm On Aug 09, 2011
See this; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-731609.0.html

That is our reform president, appointing card carrying PDP members as INEC Resident Electoral commissioners undecided

That is fresh air reform abi? And he wants to reduce the "Acrimony" (Reuben Abati's word) during elections?

Una never serious grin
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by honeric01(m): 5:16pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^^^

Are you typing while riding on the road? and you call yourself a good law abiding citizen abi? undecided tongue
Re: N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal by okadaman2: 5:34pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^
Bros nor vex, I just dropped my passenger and parked for one side to post  grin

While we were discussing : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-731669.0.html

They are planning to abolish the restriction on foreign accounts for political appointees, fresh air!

We know they did not enforce it anyway, but the law created to be a good deterrent in a country where public purse is as loose as a Zone 4 hooker  The will is the problem. They refused to address that, but they are quick to throw the baby out with the dorty bath water, while failing to fetch a cleaner one.

Mumus dey follow mugus  embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Philanthropist Donates Toilets To Police / Breaking!!! Bukola Saraki Decamp To PDP. Removes APC Logo / The Agatu Attacked And Killed Fulani 1st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.