Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,666 members, 7,820,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Mko Abiola: Some Yoruba Leaders Were Bribed – Gani Adams - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mko Abiola: Some Yoruba Leaders Were Bribed – Gani Adams (523 Views)

Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Nasselection: How We Were Bribed & Attacked To Vote Against Saraki - PDP Senator / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mko Abiola: Some Yoruba Leaders Were Bribed – Gani Adams by aljharem3: 10:39am On Aug 09, 2011
By DAPO AKINREFON

OTUNBA Gani Adams is the National Coordinator of Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC. Adams, who was in the forefront of the June 12 struggle in this interview, alludes to the insinuations of former Chief Security Officer to late General Sani Abacha, Major Hamza Mustapha that some prominent Yoruba leaders were compromised to keep the Southwest quiet after the death of Chief MKO Abiola. He asserts that the development led to the factationlisation of the OPC. Excerpts:

What do you make of the allegations made by former Chief Security Officer to late General Sani Abacha, Major Hamza Mustapha that Chief Bola Ige and Pa Abraham Adesanya, among others were bribed by General Abdulsalami Abubakar to douse tension in the Southwest after the death of Chief MKO Abiola?

I will not to cast aspersion on late Pa Adesanya, Chief Bola Ige and other Yoruba leaders but what we heard then was that Abdulsalami induced some Yoruba leaders with money. That was why they played down the restiveness and the struggle after the death of Abiola. That was what we heard. I don’t have the opportunity to expatiate on the exact amount of money given to them.

As one of those in the struggle and one who was close to some NADECO chieftains including Dr Fredrick Fasehun, we know that something like that happened. If you recall, the issue led to the splitting of the OPC into two because our faction made it known that we were not going to get involved in politics, but Dr Fasehun systematically subscribed to assist the politicians even though he was not contesting.

Splitting of OPC

That led to the splitting of the OPC into two. About 97 % of us in the OPC then said we were not joining politics. That was what led to the crisis within the OPC. I cannot easily forget what led to the crisis of OPC and that was why I said the allegation that some South west leaders collected money is actually true.

Can you mention their names?
I cannot mention names but we know certain monies were given to prominent Yoruba leaders.

Were you approached to be given any money at that time?

No, I was not up to that stage (become prominent) by then. I gained prominence after I was appointed as the leader of OPC; I was one of those who coordinated the protest then. During this period, I was not a leader. I was one of those who started the June 12 protest of 1995 and 1998 in the OPC especially in Lagos. I had information at my disposal then that indeed, some people collected money. You can see how secrets are being revealed.

I believe that Mustapha (has) records of leaders that came to the Villa because he was the Chief Security Officer of Abacha and at the same time, he knew many things before his arrest. I will not doubt Mustapha’s revelations and issues like this must not be swept under the carpet.

There is need to sanitize out system and not only the Southwest alone. If we keep quiet on issues like this, at the end of the day, we will witness many gruesome murders. The Dele Giwa and Abiola issues are still there unresolved.

If we think Mustapha is targeting the South west alone, we are mistaken. Those involved in the act have their integrity at stake; but the truth has to be told.

But do you believe that late Pa Abraham Adesanya and Chief Bola Ige actually collected money?

Let me tell you, those were the two respected Yoruba leaders we had at that time; I am not saying whether they collected money or not, but I know some Yoruba leaders collected money.

With all this revelation, don’t you think it will have a negative effect on the South west?
No. It will even give a signal of caution to anyone who becomes a leader. No matter how smart or cunning you are, one day, your secrets will be exposed.

Even during and after the June 12 struggle, we have some Yoruba leaders who have not betrayed the race. I just know that after darkness comes light. Those aspiring to become future leaders should be careful because no secret will be hidden for ever. And so, the revelations made by Mustapha goes beyond Yoruba land, it is a signal to everybody in this country. If you are given an opportunity to lead, do not betray them.

Accurate prediction

What Mustapha said happened some 13 years ago, though we got the information, we couldn’t substantiate it. Some Yoruba leaders told us that some of our leaders had sold the struggle by accepting money. Some of us did not believe that such thing happened but it actually happened in 1998.

We realized within three weeks, there were series of meetings, after then, a Pan-Yoruba congress in Ibadan after which a communiqué was issued that the Yorubas should join politics. So, those who gave us the information, predicted accurately.

Everything changed, nobody talked about Abiola’s death and the June 12 struggle; all of a sudden, the tempo of the struggle died down.

I am not happy about the whole issue. On the OPC crisis, we investigated and discovered that some leaders were indeed responsible for the split because they believed we were becoming too radical in Yoruba land. We decided not to join politics because we were betrayed owing to fact that we refused to join politics.

What is your view on the activities of the Boko Haram sect in Northern Nigeria?
Activities of the sect have not only political undertone, but religious undertone. In a situation where they have been bombing various parts of the country shows that nowhere in the country is safe. If care is not taken, they may get out of hand. So far, they have not issued any statement, unlike MEND, which is more organized in their activities.

We know what MEND was after, they wanted resource control and restructuring of the nation; unlike Boko Haram, they are yet to come out with their demands, they are not progressive.

To me, their position is sectional and I don’t believe it soothes our position in the South west because they have been killing Yorubas living in the north. The consequence of Boko Haram’s activities is that foreign investors may no longer come to Nigeria because anything that happens in Nigeria will be reflected in the international media. If care is not taken, Nigeria may be branded a terrorist nation.

Some people have been canvassing that just as the amnesty package was given to Niger Delta militants, the same should be extended to the Boko Haram sect. Do you subscribe to this?

I don’t believe the amnesty package will work for Boko Haram. Boko Haram is a religious sect; there is no ideology behind it because their crisis has religious and political undertone in it. How much will they be given compared to the funding they get from the Middle East, it is possible they might have connection with al-Qaeda. To tackle it, there is need for government to take a different approach, but to grant amnesty, it won’t work.

What is your take on the proposed six years single term for governors and president?

In my opinion, it is the best thing that can happen to our democracy. I don’t know the content of the bill. I believe that the six year term will reduce corruption in this country because a governor will not have it in mind to loot the treasury when he gets there, he will be determined to work.

It will also give room for improvement on the part of the governor; it will give more power to the party than the governor because the party will be stronger. Also, a six years term will strengthen our democracy and it will reduce corruption.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/mko-abiola-some-yoruba-leaders-were-bribed-gani-adams/
Re: Mko Abiola: Some Yoruba Leaders Were Bribed – Gani Adams by Greenpro: 10:54am On Aug 09, 2011
God sees everyone
Re: Mko Abiola: Some Yoruba Leaders Were Bribed – Gani Adams by koladeoye: 12:29pm On Aug 09, 2011
Let me tell you, those were the two respected Yoruba leaders we had at that time; I am not saying whether they collected money or not, but I know some Yoruba leaders collected money.

This only mean they actually collected the said money. Thanks for saying the truth though not in plain words
Re: Mko Abiola: Some Yoruba Leaders Were Bribed – Gani Adams by chino11(m): 9:15pm On Aug 09, 2011
Yooroba leaders are the most, dity and criminally minded. They collected money to sacrifice their own. Almajiris butchered abioala.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do African Descend Spend All Day On Self Hate & Not Progress discussion? / Fear Of Boko Haram Grips Lagos / Gej: I Have Fulfilled My Vow To Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.