Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment (950 Views)

Earning Online Without A 9 To 5 Job / Top 8 Jobs With High Employment Chances For Fresh Graduates / Captain N-Power To Catch Beneficiaries Earning From Other Employment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by SMJay: 9:01am On Sep 03, 2022
THE TRAP OF 9 TO 5 EMPLOYMENT
Disclaimer: I am not against being employed in a 9 to 5 job. This post is about pitfalls to beware of.

The last 9 to 5 ended in July 2020 quite suddenly due to the impact of COVID on donor funding.

Some of what I am sharing is what I reflected on especially after my contract which had been renewed for almost 10 years was not. I had 2 days notice via a quick call that it would not be renewed and that was it! (story for another day grin).

Here's some of what I realised after and even discussed with colleagues who also had the same experience:

1. You are not indispensable. So don't take things too personal.

2. Save! Save! Save! The lull of a regular salary can make you careless. For us, the 26th of the month was the sweet spot. People actually freaked out if for any reason, there was no 'alert by end of day'. I, by God's grace had some premonition and started saving from 2 years before. I could have done better because I finally felt the pinch about a year of being out of full time employment.

3. Personal development is IMPORTANT! Very few of us colleagues made the time to acquire post-graduate degrees because we were “too busy”. Personally, I had flunked out of a masters programme and didn’t follow up on other chances. I managed to get a professional certification but I could have done better.

4. Build your social capital: Don’t get sucked into the office politics so much that you don’t make connections professionally and personally.

5. Make time for your family: It was after I left that I realised that I didn’t reeeeeallly know my children as well as I thought. Many experienced that with COVID because the stay-at-home re-introduced us to family and it was shocking. Wave your hand if you know what I mean.

6. Don’t burn bridges: I thought I was treated shabbily and wanted to lose it BUT I didn’t. No one can quote silence so no matter the temptation, keep connections (they may be weak but let them exist), you don’t know when you might need them.

7. Manage your time wisely: In retrospect, ALL the tasks that used to take me forever in 9 to 5 are now a bump in the road. Those long chats over a 2 hour lunch and meetings which go on forever? I realised, we waste a lot of time because a salary will come regardless. Use saved time for personal development, family and building social capital.

8. Self care: Rest and take care of yourself. Nothing can buy good health after irreparable damage has been done. USE your health insurance to care for you/your family... check ups, eyes, teeth, gym. Use it!

There are more but this is the time I have for now! grin

Watch Out for SMJAY CONCEPT..... We making a difference

5 Likes

Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by Threesha(f): 10:42am On Sep 03, 2022
wink
Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by SMJay: 9:45pm On Sep 17, 2022
Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by Threesha(f): 4:28am On Sep 23, 2022
There's a mini flat in Ijegun-Ikotun Lagos

Tiles
Interlocking floor
Parking space
Water

Rent
=N= 200,000
Call zero 8 15 one 346 five 7 nine

Kindly share or rebroadcast.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by SMJay: 12:30am On Oct 03, 2022
Threesha:
There's a mini flat in Ijegun-Ikotun Lagos

Tiles
Interlocking floor
Parking space
Water

Rent
=N= 200,000
Call zero 8 15 one 346 five 7 nine

Kindly share or rebroadcast.

Thank you
is this available?

3 Likes

Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by Threesha(f): 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2022
SMJay:
is this available?
Yes
Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by SMJay: 10:30am On Oct 07, 2022
Threesha:
Yes
The number is switched off
Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by Oyindamolah: 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2022
I love this write up
Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by Threesha(f): 5:39am On Oct 08, 2022
SMJay:
The number is switched off
Kindly try again
Re: The Trap Of 9 To 5 Employment by SMJay: 11:48pm On Dec 16, 2022
Threesha:
Kindly try again
okay

(1) (Reply)

Massive Job Recruitment At Captain Elechi Amadi Polytechnic(ph). Apply Now / Training! Training!! Training!!! / Flash/xml Professional Required.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.