Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections (223 Views)

Watch Channelstv Sunday Politics Live...a Popular Fulaniman Supporting Obi / Sunday politics: Festus Keyamo is an Anti-Igbo bigot. For the records / PDP Also Known As Chop And Quench Party Gbenga Daniel On Sunday Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections by Passionnn: 10:35am On Sep 04, 2022
Whether we accept it or not, religion has been a strong factor in Nigeria's politics. Since returning to democratic rule in 1999, there has been an attempt at rotating power between the two major religions in the country- Islam and Christianity.
There appears to be a slap on the faces of christians this time around when the two major political parties, PDP and APC adopted Muslims as their candidates. To add salt to the wound, the ruling APC opted for Muslim/Muslim ticket.
The only glimmer of hope the christians have is the emergence of Peter Obi as Labour party presidential candidate. But the overlying political structure gives Obi a very slim chance to win.

HOW OBI CAN WIN
One obvious way obi can win is to fully mobilise the christian voters to vote for him. As it stands, it's 3 Muslim presidential candidates to just Obi the major christian candidate. If the christians were to unite behind obi, it would be an easy win for him as the other 3 Muslim candidates will have to share the Islamic votes among them.
THE HURDLES
One major hurdle is due to the politics of ethnicity. A Yoruba christian might likely vote for a Yoruba Muslim candidate because they are from the same tribe.
Also the teaching of Christianity does not promote disunity and hatred for non adherents unlike the Islamic teachings which promotes suspicion and hatred for non Muslims. Consequently, christians vote not on the basis of religion. But this needs to be reexamined because if we fail to do the right thing, Christian will be out of presidency for 16 years. During which time, more Deborahs will be burnt to death in the guise of blasphemy. More Leah Sharibus will be kidnapped and married off illegally by their abductors. More herdsmen invasion of southerners farms will occur.
IN CONCLUSION
Nigeria has survived this long because there have been deliberate policies to carry every segment of the country along. I have to whip up religious sentiments here because it appears the christians have been too docile politically. At least, we can express our dissatisfaction through the instrumentality of the ballot.
Happy Sunday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections by Teacher1776(m): 10:47am On Sep 04, 2022
Excellent write up.
The christians need to wake up. Queue behind obi.
We must forget about party politics at the national level presidential election.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections by AdamuKD: 11:04am On Sep 04, 2022
Any sane christian supposed to know that this is the fight between light and darkness. It's about survival and if u go and vote for APC the terrorist party, we are done for.

During the 2015 election, the imams where telling their followers not to vote Jonathan that he is a Christian and an unbeliever. I am even angry and surprised that APC and inec are talking about not campaigning in church. Moslems are decievers till they get what they want and they will suddenly change and start maiming and killing you. I am a northerners I know this .
I just dey pity those ignorant and foolish Christians saying that religion doesn't matter. To the moslems, their religion comes first before any other things. You saw the young man that killed his parents because of Islam and he is still boosting about it. Christians, be wife
Re: Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections by Passionnn: 12:01pm On Sep 04, 2022
AdamuKD:
Any sane christian supposed to know that this is the fight between light and darkness. It's about survival and if u go and vote for APC the terrorist party, we are done for.

During the 2015 election, the imams where telling their followers not to vote Jonathan that he is a Christian and an unbeliever. I am even angry and surprised that APC and inec are talking about not campaigning in church. Moslems are decievers till they get what they want and they will suddenly change and start maiming and killing you. I am a northerners I know this .
I just dey pity those ignorant and foolish Christians saying that religion doesn't matter. To the moslems, their religion comes first before any other things. You saw the young man that killed his parents because of Islam and he is still boosting about it. Christians, be wife
Thank you brother.
We christians always like to shy away from this truth because we believe we might be able to win them over when we give them support or associate with them since Christianity teaches tolerance. We shy away from the fact that the christians are in the majority and most enlightened. We preach compassion. Give the right cheek to the person who slaps you on the left. But how have they responded? They not only slap you on the right cheek but also cut off your head.
Consequently we must keep on preaching this new gospel based on the current reality as it is obviously becoming too much. Nigeria belongs to all of us. A single group or individual must not continue to act as if they are the master Lords over the others. Once again thank you for your comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2022
I like the comments I’m seeing here. Christians are now waking up.
Re: Sunday Politics: The Christians And 2023 Elections by OsunOriginal: 3:21pm On Sep 04, 2022
Yeye, as if Tinubu's wife is not a Christian - will she also vote for Peter Obi? Only an irredeemable bigot will vote for a non-performer just because of religion.

(1) (Reply)

Igp Restates No Threat To General Elections / PDP Youths Chase PDP Zonal Vice Chairman Out Of Meeting In Enugu / Queen Elizabeth Is Dead 70yrs Long Legacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.