Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,909 members, 7,835,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans (12470 Views)

2023 Guber: Enugu Diasporans Back Zoning, Wants Ticket Zoned To Enugu East / Mr Peter Obi: Much Ado About Nothing / Much Ado About G7 Invitation - By Naptu2. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by OfoIgbo: 6:21am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy:
So what's currently trending in the political sphere is the diasporan funding for Peter Obi and it being against the electoral act (section 85, subsection a and b).

Prior to now, it has never been an issue as Nigerian politicians source their funds majorly from other means. Some through illegal diversion of State funds while others through funding from the oligarchs and super wealthy who have vested interests in the government. The money politicians get from Nigerians in the diapora has been very meagre. Perhaps that explains why it never trended in the past. But with the emergence of Peter Obi, the story has changed as it would seem the Diasporans are ready to bankroll the Peter Obi campaign immensely.

Now the issue is that the electoral act is against funding political parties from abroad. So what that means is that the Labor Party are not meant to collect any money from anyone abroad. Any money collected will be forfeited and the party fined. Now what is the Labor Party's plan in regards ensuring they don't break this law.

I just watched the interview Prof Pat Utomi granted to Seun of Channels TV and I was surprised at Prof's response to this law. He was literally calling that law bluff. Based on his response, it would seem the plan of the Labor Party is to go ahead and collect monies from abroad and use it to fund their campaigns. That is very dangerous.

I must state it here that I share Prof Utomi's sentiment in regards to the funding as a way Nigerians can take back their country. I also agree that the law is a clog in the wheel of Nigerians in the diaspora who want to take back their country from the rich corrupt politicians. But I don't think it's wise to call the law bluff. This is because the law has constitutional backing. Section 225 (3) (a) and (b) of the constitution was very clear about funding from abroad. Going against the constitution is wrong as the courts will never support you.

So my advice to the Labor Party is that they assemble their legal team to study the law and seek for ways to raise funds without contravening the law. Perhaps one way, would be for an NGO or body that has no financial ties with the Labor Party be the one to champion the collection and disbursement of these Diasporan funds.

Now let's even look at the law and the purpose/intent of it. I think the reason behind the law is noble.....to prevent foreign influence on our country. A sovereign country can only remain sovereign if they are not influenced by any foreign country. I 100% agree with that. But I think that law was coined wrongly. Nigerians in diapora are not "foreigners". They are Nigerians. So even though they are abroad, they should be able to be contribute towards the growth of their country in every way possible. The law should be tweeked to prevent donations from foreigners/foreign countries and not prevent donations from Nigerian in diaspora.

Will the Labor Party call the law bluff? Will the constitution be amended? Will the Labor Party look for other ways to raise funds? Let's see how events unfold.

The law probably only applies to political parties. Not to campaign organisations. I can assure you there are a million and one ways to beat that aspect of the constitution. Those that drafted it left huge loopholes that can be exploited

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by toprealman: 6:27am On Sep 05, 2022
It is sad that even the educated youths schooling abraod don't bother to understand how developed systems work.
It is OK for an individual to use unaccounted money from bullion vans but a major crime in their books to raise funds from verified a legal source.
How can a country that depends entirely on borrowing becoming this: "A sovereign country can only remain sovereign if they are not influenced by any foreign country". You sovereignty is not jeopardized when you borrow but when Ahmen Ikenna Adeyemi gives money to support a worthy cause, a threat to change the capital of Nigeria to London ( in your dreams grin) is seen.
What a tragedy!
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by BurialGround: 6:27am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy:
If you read my post you'll see I did say political parties collected monies from Nigerians in the diaspora in the past. But the money wasn't tangible, perhaps that explains why it didn't raise much dust then. Two wrongs does not make a right. If someone sues the Labor Party, using the excuse that APC and PDP did it in the past will not exonerate the LP. So I am just advising the LP to be wise in their financial dealings.

You guys will cry to eternity.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 05, 2022
BurialGround:

You guys will cry to eternity.

Indeed. We must all ask a man who wants to become the President of the biggest black nation on earth whether he was not aware of funding restrictions when he chose to flee the PDP to run under a Party that has no money and only three legislators out of over a thousand when it is a Political Party that has existed for 2 decades.

These are worrying and damning evidence about the lack of preparedness of Obi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 05, 2022
sircatherine45:

Reading your comments, I just shaked my head. No problems, continue with your propaganda. I'm happy many folks here knows the truth.

What propaganda? Calling out the deciet and hypocrisy of Obi and his fans is now propaganda?

Why can't Obi raise campaign money within Nigeria as the law compels him to do or was he not aware of funding restriction when he decided to run to be president under the platform of the broke and structureless Loser Labour Party?

What else will Obi asked to be done at his own private convenience if he becomes President rather than just improvise, become creative and get on with the job?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Zeinymira(f): 6:34am On Sep 05, 2022
"Nigeria will burn", really?
The same thing was said in 2015 if Buhari becomes the president. Same thing about Biafra or Death. Remember Enders?
Peter Obi will not win next year election and nothing will happen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Tinubuwins2023e: 6:35am On Sep 05, 2022
donaldking100:

Are you proud of the stupidity you are displaying here just for cheap likes?

Peter Obituary is a thief and a liar.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by sircatherine45(m): 6:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Dsalvo:

What propaganda? Calling out the deciet and hypocrisy of Obi and his fans is now propaganda?

Why can't Obi raise campaign money within Nigeria as the law compels him to do or was he not aware of funding restriction when he decided to run to be president under the platform of the broke and structureless Loser Labour Party?

What else will Obi asked to be done at his own private convenience if he becomes President rather than just improvise, become creative and get on with the job?

Oga, stop bending the truth. You know yourself that you are spreading propaganda, and you are doing a great job. Wonderful!

Nobody is raising any fund in diaspora, for now! The funding right now is local, and some African countries, of which an audit will be conducted soon. Obi is doing things within the concept of the laws, so Oga relax, you don't know LP's internal architecture more than me.

Who told you Obi doesn't have money to fund his campaign? Where are you hearing such lies and calumny from?

You just come online, without no evidence to paint someone black because he's Igbo?

Why being wicked, Bros?

Like I said, NO FUNDING IS GOING ON IN THE DIASPORA, FOR NOW!!!

We are in touch with our lawyers on this so don't worry about LP. It's not your business. Focus on how to promote APC.

T for thanks!

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by BurialGround: 6:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Dsalvo:

Indeed. We must all ask a man who wants to become the President of the biggest black nation on earth whether he was not aware of funding restrictions when he chose to flee the PDP to run under a Party that has no money and only three legislators out of over a thousand when it is a Political Party that has existed for 2 decades.

These are worrying and damning evidence about rhelack of preparedness of Obi.

Your propaganda won't sell. Show me where Obi or labour party asked for funds from foreign land or SHUT UP.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by casualobserver: 6:48am On Sep 05, 2022
This is what we are talking about, people that have no senators or house of rep members want to amend law? The whole Obidient movement is just daft!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by zaki2: 6:50am On Sep 05, 2022
sircatherine45:

Oga, stop bending the truth. You know yourself that you are spreading propaganda, and you are doing a great job. Wonderful!

Nobody is raising any fund in diaspora, for now! The funding right now is local, and some African countries, of which an audit will be conducted soon. Obi is doing things within the concept of the laws, so Oga relax, you don't know LP's internal architecture more than me.

Who told you Obi doesn't have money to fund his campaign? Where are you hearing such lies and calumny from?

You just come online, without no evidence to paint someone black because he's Igbo?

Why being wicked, Bros?

Like I said, NO FUNDING IS GOING ON IN THE DIASPORA, FOR NOW!!!

We are in touch with our lawyers on this so don't worry about LP. It's not your business. Focus on how to promote APC.

T for thanks!
Why you dey follow that bigot dey talk. As long as Obi is Igbo, nothing good can come out of him, that's how they roll.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Poleski: 6:53am On Sep 05, 2022
The two most corrupt political parties, APC and PDP are scared of Peter Obi.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by yudee233: 7:02am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy is pure Batified always read in between all his posts
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by omenka(m): 7:03am On Sep 05, 2022
Wintertime:

Let them disqualify Obi and see the impact
If he's disqualified, shishi no go happen. You people brag too much.

What didn't we hear you guys say would happen if Kanu was imprisoned?

What didn't you guys say would happen if Igbos aren't given the ticket of both PDP and APC? Especially APC? Didn't you threaten you'd all vote the North in protest?

Today na Zombiedients we dey hear about.

Time and time again, the government, political parties, and the good people of Nigeria has called your bluff, yet, being second nature to you people, you must always threaten others to do your bidding and brag about powers you don't posses. No diplomacy, no attempt at courting people's support respectfully. Always going about your business with an empty bluster.

Make una get out jor.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by YeyeGbami: 7:05am On Sep 05, 2022
Abujason:

Okay. Please provide Your bank name, debit card number, account number and PIN. Hopefully there is enough money there.

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Wintertime: 7:10am On Sep 05, 2022
omenka:

What didn't you guys say would happen if Igbos aren't given the ticket of both PDP and APC? Especially APC? Didn't you threaten you'd all vote the North in protest?

Time and time again, the government, political parties, and the good people of Nigeria has called your bluff, yet, being second nature to you people, you must always threaten others to do your bidding and brag about powers you don't posses. No diplomacy, no attempt at courting people's support respectfully. Always going about your business with an empty bluster.

Make una get out jor.

Let them disqualify him

Long talk is long

Let them disqualify him

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by faste: 7:10am On Sep 05, 2022
muzeze77:
Nigerians abroad funding obi are still Nigerians , if you want to ban them then we also have to ban foreign healthcare for politicians and foreign education for their kids
Including diaspora all forms of remitance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Wintertime: 7:10am On Sep 05, 2022
Dsalvo:

What will be the impact? Your IPOB seccession messiah did not end up in custody even as you lot shouted "touch Kanu and Nigeria burns"?
So far it is only the SE burning.

So too will your IPOB political Messiah, i.e Obi, be dealt with if he tries to be cute circumventing laws other candidates are complying with and happy to obey.

You people are always too lawless and desperate. No one is going to change laws and legality, currently in place, for Obi and his loser Labour Party.

In any case, why can't you Obidient donate? Even Nnewi businessmen alone should be able to dash Obi ten trillion Naira na. Chicken change Obi Cubana alone can donate. Lol.

Let them disqualify him

Long talk is long

Let them disqualify him
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by ufotunang: 7:13am On Sep 05, 2022
Do not worry.. obi-dient Nigerians ate ready to raise funds for your presidential election campaign
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by heniford2: 7:14am On Sep 05, 2022
Money wia we done already they collect campaign should just start already undecided
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by franchasofficia: 7:17am On Sep 05, 2022
Abujason:

Why are you even minding the modafucking idiots who are only doing this because they have met a formidable foe who is bent on stopping their never-ending stealing from the people. But the people are bent on getting them out of the way finally. Even if they stop the foreign donations from fellow Nigerian, will they stop us locally?

Absolutely NOT!

So let every Nigerian desirous of change from the status quo make a commitment to donate to Obi/Datti campaign - no matter how small. Let the Labour Party publish their Presidential campaign account details.

I will kick this off with a personal donation of N10 million.
My brother, they are jokers hahahahaha

Their god Buhari received monies from Diaspora supporters in 2014 and 2015, it is fear that's causing them to hallucinate cheesy

The Diaspora donations will come and it will be used and there is nothing Agbado urchins and their BATstards will do. We already mapped out creative ways to get all these done or do they think they are dealing with road side mechanics?

World class bankers, seasoned financial experts, lawyers, economy experts, and even judiciary members and lawmakers are all tired of the dead Nigeria caused by Buhari, Tinubu and APC and they are secretly working for Peter Obi to avoid losing their seats which we understand. They think its an Igbo thing, Northerners, sensible and enlightened Yorubas, Niger Delta people are championing Peter Obi Presidency and PO has won already they know and reason they are running from pillar to post.

There are thousand ways to take care of the Diaspora donations which APC and their Agbadofied criminals don't know and I cannot share such classifies info here.

Within Nigeria alone, supporters are eager and waiting to start the fundraising to raise billions, so APC and PDP should just forget about 2023 Presidential election because God has annointed Peter Obi already, what we are discussing now is how to help Peter Obi fulfill his campaign promises and ensure Nigerians of all tribes and religion enjoy a new, better Nigeria devoid of tribalism, looting, gangsterism in politics, with improved security all over Nigeria, that is where we are not even this noise about Diaspora donations the scarecrows are making all over the place

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by GloriousGbola: 7:21am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy:
That same Alfred Smith can send the money to a proxy (whose real is Bola Alabi) in Nigeria who will then pay into the Political Party’s account, how do you authenticate? Let us not go there. Every political party is supposed to send their financial records for auditing. Anomalies and or laundering can be detected if INEC does their due diligence during auditing.

Due diligence during auditing?

Is inec an accounting firm?
Do we actually have a list of diasporans?
What stops an American from contributing?
Or a Russian American? Or a Chinese American?

This is a much bigger question for LP whose lack of structure is being celebrated. Does LP actually have any such framework in place?

The other side of this is that this is a potential avenue for money laundering.

As a matter of fact, all APC or pdp needs to do to mess up Peter obi is get someone to make a very large contribution. One that will immediately alert fraud investigators. This is the US, after all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by echomanji: 7:23am On Sep 05, 2022
kristisking:
And someone will be there shouting Obi/Datti here and there. Please what makes this duo better than the rest of the politicians. Were they not part of the people that put this country in this mess? They have tasted power under PDP, APC, APGA. Did they do any magic? I need to know? Why all this noise here and there.
u people still don't get it do you? We re not Voting Obi. We jst want to test if power truly belongs to d people
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Chidex50(m): 7:29am On Sep 05, 2022
Laple0541:
Election campaign never start Obi Pandora don turn to 'BABI ALLA'

Your principal is using stollen loot while PO depends on the people. That's how it should be.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by AdamuKD: 7:33am On Sep 05, 2022
AdolfHitlerxXx:
angry

Loved Obinoscopys piece on Tinubu... was an impartial take.

Let's read this one..

Modified: balanced and unbiased.

I personally feel Obi wants to cash out on the gullible zombidients.

That's why someone who wants to be a President and Law Enforcer will blatantly want to break the law to line his pockets .

Ole, Barawo banza. Thief!
Another Tilinbu urchin. Kachi kutumar ubanka dolo
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by effort1: 7:40am On Sep 05, 2022
beelon1020:
The law is the king of the land... you break it.. you face it’s wrath...

Except if you are Tinubu or another powerful politician in Nigeria.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by NwaMamaIwota(f): 7:41am On Sep 05, 2022
omenka:

Make una get out jor.
shatap and vote peter obi
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by effort1: 7:42am On Sep 05, 2022
AdolfHitlerxXx:
angry

Let's read this one..

That's why someone who wants to be a President and Law Enforcer will blatantly want to break the law to line his pockets .

Since Tinubu had been cashing out on you, have you said a thing against it?

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by seunmsg(m): 7:54am On Sep 05, 2022
There is nothing wrong in Nigerians based abroad to donate to a political party. All they have to do is bring the money to Nigeria and donate it in the country. Staying abroad and donating directly to a candidate or candidate directly through an NGO is illegal and not allowed.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by rollywise(m): 8:23am On Sep 05, 2022
AdolfHitlerxXx:
angry

Let's read this one..

Eventually if they begin swear for you you'll say OBI-dients are disrespectful. Obi is richer than your generation put together. Go and verify. A successful business man without stain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APGA Threatened To Declare Okorocha's Seat Vacant / Are You Preparing how to be living from September 2015 / Rivers APC Expels Assembly Minority Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.