Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) (21671 Views)

Ten Things To Know About Liz Truss, New UK Prime Minister (Photos) / Boris Johnson's Scandals That Led To His Resignation As British Prime Minister / Israel Elects New Prime Minister Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Fira09(m): 11:02am On Sep 05, 2022
Liz Truss is widely expected to be confirmed as Britain’s new prime minister today, September 5, before officially taking over from Boris Johnson a day later.

Boris Johnson was forced to announce his resignation in July after months of scandal and will travel to Scotland to meet Queen Elizabeth on Tuesday to officially tender his resignation.

The Foreign Secretary is believed to be on course to comfortably beat former Chancellor Rishi Sunak to the keys to Number 10, which would make her Britain’s 56th PM.

Truss, the front runner in the race to replace Johnson, if appointed, will become the Conservatives' fourth prime minister since a 2015 election.

Confirmation of the result will come at 12.30pm. In a break from tradition on Tuesday, Mr. Johnson and his successor will go to Balmoral rather than Buckingham Palace to meet Queen Elizabeth, who will ask the new leader to form a government.

The Sunday Times reported that the pair would fly there in separate planes for security reasons.

Ms. Truss will start work as PM on the flight back, barring a major upset unexpectedly putting Mr. Sunak in charge.

The Queen will receive Mr. Johnson at her Aberdeenshire home, where he will formally tender his resignation.

On Tuesday, the winner will travel to Scotland to meet Queen Elizabeth, who will ask the new leader to form a government.

The new PM inherits a flagging economy, with inflation at a 40-year high.

Ms. Truss, tipped by pollsters to win the contest, has promised to announce further help to shield consumers within a week of taking over. She plans to deliver £30bn in tax cuts through an emergency Budget later this month, arguing the UK's tax burden is behind sluggish growth.

Her rival, former chancellor Mr. Sunak, has signalled he believes he has lost, saying his job "now is just to support a Conservative government".

She is planning a significant intervention this week, where tens of billions of pounds will be committed to helping with rising bills and inflation. That will include tax cuts and help for families and businesses. Expect her to also talk about an energy strategy to protect the UK against further turbulence in years to come.

SOURCE

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by PRECIOUS14482(m): 11:38am On Sep 05, 2022
I dedicate this FTC to all OBIDIENT citizens

This is how PETER OBI will be announced

Come 2023.

130 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by OtopDesign(m): 11:38am On Sep 05, 2022
G
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by temitope27(m): 11:38am On Sep 05, 2022
MAY GOD BLESS THE INCOMING PRIME MINISTER OF ENGLAND

8 Likes

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by donleo92(m): 11:38am On Sep 05, 2022
she just made me remember the former female German Chancellor. Hope she would till that path...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Bitchiamjay(m): 11:38am On Sep 05, 2022
Liz Truss is 47 years.
Tinubu is 96 years.

Person wey Queen Elizabeth use two months senior.

Naija which way? undecided

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Great stuff
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by morikee: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Woman grin
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Pascaline96(m): 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Ok
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Odunayomi247(m): 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Q
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Offpointng: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Women have never done well being UK's PM, we can take a clue from Teresa May's administration. sad

Are the men in the UK finished??

6 Likes

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by dalass(f): 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
grin

The British have known that women are better leaders than men.

In this country, we don't even have a female local government chairman... Any reason Nigerian people are suffering under continued male dominations, intimidations and harassments? undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Sitwalkstand: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Rishi Sunak is more qualified by every standard. But i have always known that Britain is not ripe for a coloured person to lead them.

Let's see how she gets on with her bogus promises.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by AcMilano1(m): 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Another magret loading
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Viraltrends123: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
A
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by PapaCj: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Make she b good person ooo
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by dyera(m): 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
LoL, Vladimir Putin no get Joy at all, Boris Johnson that was pushing for Russian sanction was disgraced from office, he has now been reduced to a prank star.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
A considerable number of women have become UK Prime minister over the years ??

Can a woman ever become the President of Nigeria ??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by uncleck: 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
I no trust country where only women dey rule.

1 Like

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by xeratek: 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
What is the venue of the naming ceremony
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by mbahdi(m): 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Good woman
Last time I had an encounter with her it was so great.shes such a knowledgeable woman to contend with
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Faber(m): 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Na this type of girl child I want born, no be the one that will be opening her toto wide to yahoo boys, wearing bum shots and big polo. Leg chain and dyed hair angry angry

God forbid, God I know say, you always answer my prayers. This one will not be different.

I trust you my creator

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by eminikansoso(m): 11:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Good for her
I wish her long term tenure unlike her predecessors.
A country where parliament is supreme and sovereignty belong to people.
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Odebayo4010(m): 11:41am On Sep 05, 2022
Are the all men die,why they will choose woman for that position

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by davidupdate89: 11:41am On Sep 05, 2022
She is not worthy
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:41am On Sep 05, 2022
Thatcher
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by SKIBiNSKI(m): 11:42am On Sep 05, 2022
Sitwalkstand:
Rishi Sunak is more qualified by every standard. But i have always known that Britain is not ripe for a coloured person to lead them.

Let's see how she gets on with her bogus promises.
Absolutely, A paki man can never ever ever ever be british prime minister.

2 Likes

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by GodPrince: 11:42am On Sep 05, 2022
No, it's Rishi Sunak. Britain cannot be under rulership of old wrinkling vaginas of the queen and Liz Truss. Except they're the most ridiculous idiots of the world
Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by IboHausaYoruba: 11:42am On Sep 05, 2022
Haa! Female PM in the UK are known to be so strict and stonehearted with policies. Margaret Tatcher, Theresa May come to mind. I wish the incoming one shows difference. God bless the Queen.

2 Likes

Re: Liz Truss Expected To Be Named As British Prime Minister Today (photo) by Southernigbo: 11:42am On Sep 05, 2022
Nigeria needs to revert back to parliamentary system abeg. Buhari would have long resigned or quietly forced out if we were under the system

126 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Dead, 2 Injured In Norway Bow And Arrow Attack, Suspect Is A Muslim Convert / UN, UK Distance Self From Kurdistan Referendum And Secession / Kenya's Supreme Court Upholds William Ruto's Presidential Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.