Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business (606 Views)

Repair And Maintenance Of Washing Machine, Inverter, Dryer And Microwave Oven / Difference Between A Computer And Computer System / How Much Does Apple Computer Repair Cost? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business by roselynbas(f): 11:52am On Sep 05, 2022
Hi guys,

Hope your day is going great. Okay, this is basically a thread on how I started my business.

Well, first, I have a passion for computers. Yes, asides a means of making a living, I am interested in what makes a computer work, how it works, putting it together, using it to solve problems, etc.

So yeah! It is more than a business for me.

Back to how I started my business! Got a job as a sales representative for a computer firm at Ikeja, while selling, my customers also wanted me to install software for them. Back then, I knew zilch in software installation, not to talk of repair. I had to involve our tech guy then but this got me interested so I did a lot of research online that taught me some stuff.

Then, the owners of the company I was working for re-located abroad so I was out of a job. While job hunting again, one of my customers wanted to buy a laptop, I had no capital, knowing that I must supply before I would be paid, so I went to a guy I met at Ikeja, explained everything to him, he agreed to accompany me to the company to do the supply, that was how I made my first sale for myself.
( this is a lesson, if you do not have the capital, find who has the goods, discuss with the person, split the profit, remember, if you are thinking of keeping the whole money for yourself, no money is zero money in your account).

To be cont'd!

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business by roselynbas(f): 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2022
I discovered I had passion also for selling, So I started prospecting. Discovered the used computer market too! Wow! this is a whole community on its own.

While checking out one of those markets, I discovered a guy I could get goods from to sell, I dropped some cash and took some laptops to market, started prospecting to my church, family members, friends, neighbours ( helped one of my neighbours to sell her laptops back then using OLX and made a good profit), It was not easy but I was getting recognized.

All was going well, then, I got a job as a contract staff. Because of the nature of my job, I abandoned my business. The work was interesting but family responsibilities was increasing as against my salary, had to look for an alternative, I picked up my business again.

Now came another challenge, the customers I sold laptops to also needed someone to replace bad parts and repair their laptops. I saw this as another opportunity and went to my supplier who introduced me to my mentor. He taught me a lot.

Combining my job, business and training together was not easy back then, it was back breaking. I had to learn on Saturdays mostly, utilized social media for sales and ensure my job was not suffering. It was done.

I completed my training, but alas, I was moved to another department where my job was very demanding and had to abandon my business again for the second time.

To be cont'd!

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business by Spunkyempire: 3:45pm On Nov 19, 2022
roselynbas:
I discovered I had passion also for selling, So I started prospecting. Discovered the used computer market too! Wow! this is a whole community on its own.

While checking out one of those markets, I discovered a guy I could get goods from to sell, I dropped some cash and took some laptops to market, started prospecting to my church, family members, friends, neighbours ( helped one of my neighbours to sell her laptops back then using OLX and made a good profit), It was not easy but I was getting recognized.

All was going well, then, I got a job as a contract staff. Because of the nature of my job, I abandoned my business. The work was interesting but family responsibilities was increasing as against my salary, had to look for an alternative, I picked up my business again.

Now came another challenge, the customers I sold laptops to also needed someone to replace bad parts and repair their laptops. I saw this as another opportunity and went to my supplier who introduced me to my mentor. He taught me a lot.

Combining my job, business and training together was not easy back then, it was back breaking. I had to learn on Saturdays mostly, utilized social media for sales and ensure my job was not suffering. It was done.

I completed my training, but alas, I was moved to another department where my job was very demanding and had to abandon my business again for the second time.

To be cont'd!

Pls continue, am very new to this business would like to learn more from you
Re: How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business by roselynbas(f): 1:24pm On Nov 21, 2022
Spunkyempire:

Pls continue, am very new to this business would like to learn more from you

Okay.
Re: How To Start A Computer Repair And Sales Business by roselynbas(f): 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2022
With the demands of my job and running my business, it was just too much to handle. One had to give, so I opted for my business. I resigned.

Resigning from my job was not going to come with any benefit save my last salary so I had to start from scratch.

Since I had already started from home with a little clientele, I took the risk and went on the lookout for a shop in the market. This is another story on its own.

Please, note that while I was still working, I went round to the shops selling and repairing phones to tell them I could repair laptops and had some for sale. They collected my fliers and business cards. (I made some good money from these referrals).

I was even offered a seating position in one of the shops with a table to work with. The shop owner was so gracious he allowed me split the money we made, we had a sharing formula of 80/20. 80 for me and 20 for him. God bless him.

I saved up, with some gifts from friends then, started looking for a shop. This shop hunting took me 6 months to achieve. Started in March and got it in September 2021. The agent I gave money to get me the shop ate my money and still didn't get it for me. I had to raise another money to get the shop then gave him some time to refund my money which he did.

Anyways, the shop eventually started, more with scraps (used laptop parts which can be used as replacements for working systems) and about four laptops. It wasn't much but I began.

I had referrals from friends, neighbours, church, schools, my former colleagues, etc. I went cold prospecting, got some clients. I even got a contract to supply laptops to a social media organization which gave me quite some money which was added to the business.

I have since added social media marketing to enable me reach more clients. Now, most of my customers I don't even know physically but they send people my way. I supply my fellow technicians and engineers used laptops because I have some good suppliers that provide used clean laptops that look almost new.

I have even seen someone buy a used laptop, packaged it like new with the carton, wow! A lot happens.
The used laptop market is a very huge one and if you can take the risk ( really it is risky. I have bought some systems that worked for some days and stopped working, the advantage in this is that you can scrap the system and sell it as parts or you can get the motherboard or the bad part and replace them). That is why it is good to buy in bulk and spread the cost so that you can still have a profit if this happens and your biz does not fold up.

To be cont'd!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Technologysony Set To Make Pre-emptive Strike Onmicrosoft With PS4 / Microsoft Brings Office 2013 To Nigeria Market / African Router, With The "BRCK" Internet Stays On Even When The Power Goes Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.