Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,555 members, 7,837,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Why I Distanced From Wike, PDP National Secretary, Anyanwu Opens Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Distanced From Wike, PDP National Secretary, Anyanwu Opens Up (481 Views)

Ortom Breaks Away From Wike’s Allies, Says ‘I Want Ayu As Chairman’ / 10 Takeaways From Wike’s Media Chat On PDP Crisis / Ferry Gberegbe's Children Gets N200M Scholarship From Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Distanced From Wike, PDP National Secretary, Anyanwu Opens Up by mafasito: 1:43pm On Sep 05, 2022
The crisis rocking Nigeria's main opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party,  PDP,  may yet be far from over as the party's National Secretary,  Senator Samuel Anyanwu has opened up on the rumoured frosty relationship between him and his political godfather and Governor of Rivers State,  Nyesom Wike.

In a chat with newsmen at the Thanksgiving Church Service to mark the 80th birthday celebration of a statesman, Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu at the Cathedral of Transfiguration of our Lord (CATOL) Owerri, Anyanwu accused Wike of engaging in actions that are inimical to the progress of the party and its chances of winning the 2023 presidential election

Following Wike's defeat by former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar at the PDP presidential primary, the Rivers strongman has held the party to its jugular with demands, among which is the resignation of Senator Iyorcha Ayu,  National Chairman of the PDP. 

Wike was also said to be the preferred candidate of a majority of members of the National Working Committee (NWC) for the vice-presidential slot, but Abubakar preferred Governor of Delta State, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa as his running mate.

Anyanwu said, "It is true that I have distanced myself from Governor Wike for reasons I consider personal and in the interest of the party, particularly at the National Working Committee level. Governor Wike is my friend like you pointed out but there comes a time when you must choose between what is right and what is wrong. He is a true and loyal party man, nobody can take that away from him but at the same time, he shouldt be able to deal with his abrasive and abusive attitude against the party, especially the Presidential candidate and our National Chairman. I dont think it is good for him nor for the party. "

On his take on the call for the resignation of Senator, Ayu and the party's efforts to pacify Governor Wike and reconcile aggrieved members, Anyanwu gave a hint, thus, "this is a difficult question for me but as the National Secretary, I can say in all sincerity that my Chairman has not committed any offence to warrant his sack. The National Working Committee enjoys good working relationship with mutual confidence. But I only support the argument for his stepping down on the grounds of balance of power between the south and the north for a Chairman from the South East to takeover.  that I dont pretend on issues. Wike is my friend. 

"Let me correct an impression. Governor Wike is not my godfather. We are very close and personally I have advised him to take it easy because in life, everything must not go the way you want. But you know he is stubborn and so it is left for him to accept my counsel or not. But i am afraid that if he is crossing the line in a public display of anti party activities. I hope he retraces his steps so he doesn't come under the party's action because nobody is bigger than the party. But as a party, we are managing it and reaching out to all the stakeholders, directly and indirectly and we believe that soon we will resolve the issues".

Anyanwu, who denied being imposed as National Secretary by Governor Wike, maintained that his emergence was an act of God. 

"I have refused to join issues with people who said I was imposed on the party as National Secretary. Nobody can say he put here. Yes, some people played roles,  which is normal in life, but its only God that put me here and I am only answerable to God and not to any individual. But I am grateful to Governor Wike and a few others, who only participated as  party leaders. but nobody can say he put me here. It's God's will.

On the ovation that greeted the announcement of the presence of, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, who is rumoured to nurse governorship ambition, at the Thanksgiving service to mark the 80th birthday of Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, Anyanwu said he is not surprised.

"I am not surprised at the ovation Chief Ihedioha received from the crowd because we know he is popular among the people. He is of my party. But we must negotiate the 2023 governorship. Now that I am National Secretary, I am interested to knowing what is in it for me. My stake has to be defined, otherwise we will return to square one".
Re: Why I Distanced From Wike, PDP National Secretary, Anyanwu Opens Up by Felimax(m): 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2022
Too much attention is giving to Wike. He has been allowed to mess up with the party for too long.

Wike is the bigger opponent to the PDP as it stands. The party should know that with or without Wike PDP has Rivers State.

This is September already and I strongly believe by now we should not be talking about this.
Re: Why I Distanced From Wike, PDP National Secretary, Anyanwu Opens Up by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2022
Nice idea

(1) (Reply)

Imagine Nigeria's President Is Determined By Wife's Beauty / 12m New Voters Insignificant To Alter 2023 Election Outcome – Fashola / Tinubu Sleeps Off At The Emir's Palace On A Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.