Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed (20495 Views)

Can Changing The Charging Port Affect Charging Speed? / Why You Should Never Borrow Charging Cable From Someone Else / Why Charging Speed Slows Down After Reaching 90% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 7:26am On Sep 06, 2022
Does the length of charging cable affect the speed of charging.... Is it inversely proportional to charging speed? The longer the cable the slower the speed, and the shorter the cable the faster the speed... And if it affect it, what causes it?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Obeleagu93(m): 7:32am On Sep 06, 2022
Ftc for the first time ever on this platform, where is my own. I heard they do give things. Seun and co where una dey

38 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 06, 2022
Physics !

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Parachoko: 7:45am On Sep 06, 2022
I thought I comment on this type of thread yesterday sad

8 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by jeromestarks: 9:10am On Sep 06, 2022
Parachoko:
That's deja Vu.

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Chaos14temp: 9:18am On Sep 06, 2022
Parachoko:
Yes you did

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 06, 2022
muyoge:
Physics !
kindly explain the physics behind it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Jazzman01: 9:23am On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
Does the length of charging cable affect the speed of charging.... Is it inversely proportional to charging speed? The longer the cable the slower the speed, and the shorter the cable the faster the speed... And if it affect it, what causes it?

Using the resistivity equation, we can see that the longer the length, the higher the resistance and this will lead to I²R losses. But this is usually countered by increasing the cross-sectional area of the wire. This is done by increasing the number of strands of wire or increasing the thickness of the wire.

Theoretically, length has an effect but when we want to design it for practical purpose, we counter that effect by increasing the thickness of the wire or using multiple strands. So when next you are purchasing a charging cable, you don't have to worry about the length affecting the charging speed because it has been taken care of.

353 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 06, 2022
Chaos14temp:
Yes you did
you still interested in the 'Pro G' stuff?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 06, 2022
Jazzman01:

Using the resistivity equation, we can see that the longer the length, the higher the resistance and this will lead to I²R losses. But this is usually countered by increasing the cross-sectional area of the wire. This is done by increasing the number of strands of wire or increasing the thickness of the wire.

Theoretically, length has an effect but when we want to design it for practical purpose, we counter that effect by increasing the thickness of the wire or using multiple strands. So when next you are purchasing a charging cable, you don't have to worry about the length affecting the charging speed because it has been taken care of.
Thanks! So that what makes some cable original and some fake even if they are the same length -the number of wires in the cable right? Or the quality of wire used?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Flamethehussler: 9:29am On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
Yes
The resistivity of a wire is directly proportional to its length
Increasing it's length increases it's resistivity
And opposite of resistivity is conductivity
Hope i have cleared you smiley

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Rema14: 9:39am On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
you still interested in the 'Pro G' stuff?
Na maybe in the next 3years
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Jazzman01: 9:51am On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:

Thanks! So that what makes some cable original and some fake even if they are the same length -the number of wires in the cable right? Or the quality of wire used?

Like I said earlier, to counter the effect of length we increase the cross-sectional area but you know that will lead to more cost. Therefore to cut cost, the producers of those fakes reduce the thickness of the wire and also the number of strands. That's why most fake products are usually cheaper than the original.

the number of wires in the cable right? Or the quality of wire used?

Both.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
kindly explain the physics behind it

What disturbs the flow of electricity in wires is called resistance.
One of the things that determine whether this resistance will be high or low in a wire is the length of the wire. Resistance is high for long wires and low for short wires.
But that's just one of the factors. There are other things that work together with the length of a wire to determine whether current will flow well or not.
Just imagine yourself on a journey trekking. When will your energy drop more? When you travel over 1km or 100km?

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 06, 2022
muyoge:

What disturbs the flow of electricity in wires is called resistance.
One of the things that determine whether this resistance will be high or low in a wire is the length of the wire. Resistance is high for long wires and low for short wires.
But that's just one of the factors. There are other things that work together with the length of a wire to determine whether current will flow well or not.
Just imagine yourself on a journey trekking. When will your energy drop more? When you travel over 1km or 100km?
is this theory applicable to transmission of electricity from the power station?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Dreamoftheendle: 12:56pm On Sep 06, 2022
Parachoko:
yeah,mine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by gly(m): 1:43pm On Sep 06, 2022
Jazzman01:

Your dad did not waste the tuition fee he paid for you cheesy
Well done

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:

is this theory applicable to transmission of electricity from the power station?

You sound knowledgeable with your language register. Are you trying to gauge our understanding depth or seeking a ratification of your own knowledge ?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 06, 2022
muyoge:

You sound knowledgeable with your language register. Are you trying to gauge our understanding depth or seeking a ratification of your own knowledge ?
I'm just trying to learn more sir.

11 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by slawomir: 3:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
Damnnn niggarrrr

Grab my gadmnnn weed to read some dope shit and learn
After una don yarn finish

Una go also explain to me why my charger dey do super fast charging on my phone

Shebi na cord still cause that one

And why he be say our normal electricity transmission (nepa) nor dey follow this principle...

Puffing my weed while I wait for response

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Guyman01: 3:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
Whilst having a lengthy cord might be useful for when you want to keep using your device, it is in fact slowing down your charging progress. This is due to an increased amount of resistance being present – the longer the wire, the greater the resistance

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Femiwilli: 3:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
Nope it doesn't, for normal cable we buy.
ie upto 3m

What affects is the type of cable.
Jazzman01:

Too negligible to be of significance for domestic phone cables we buy.

Your thinking High Voltage miles long cables, then yes.
The resistance does not increase significantly for those home cables

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by nawa4naija(m): 3:49pm On Sep 06, 2022
.Wetin concern me

Abeg who go fit buy me food

4 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by bigfish3k: 3:49pm On Sep 06, 2022
I don't know jare
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by ceaser: 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2022
Well, for Direct Current (DC) transmission, the concept of V = IR holds well. The voltage at the end of the cable is directly proportional to the current at the initial end and inversely proportional to the resistance of the wire.

Now the resistance of the wire is a function of the lenght of the wire (wore inside the cable) as well as the cross sectional area of the cable (wire inside the cable).

This implies that the longer the cable with constant cross sectional area, the higher the resistance and also the lower the voltage and current at the other end of the wire.

The common leght for phone USB cables is usually 1 meter. The cable are usually designed with adequate cross sectional area to conduct the current needed to drive the voltage that charges the phone at the other end.

If you intend to increase the legbt of this cable, then you must definitely increase the cross sectional area, otherwise you get a voltage and current drop at rhe phone end of the wire.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Praxis758: 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2022
Yes, if you understand ELECTRICITY RELATIVITY.

The longer the length of a wire conveying an electric current, the lesser the electric charge passing through the wire. That’s why transformer are designed to boost the current.

10 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by kingreign(m): 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Scottz: 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2022
Na lie
My cord iPhone cord long pass anaconda grin
The werey fast die

3 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by iscom(m): 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2022
Capital YES

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate To Halt Hike Of Data Price / Upgrading From Android 2.2.1 (froyo) To 2.2.3 (ginjerbread), How Is It Done? / How To Root And Install Cwm On Lenovo K3 Note

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.