Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed (20490 Views)

Can Changing The Charging Port Affect Charging Speed? / Why You Should Never Borrow Charging Cable From Someone Else / Why Charging Speed Slows Down After Reaching 90% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 4:19pm On Sep 06, 2022
My thought on this is that, if you just plugged both cords, then current will begin to travel from the cables to the phones, my thought actually (though i have not verified it through science yet)is that the current will travel and get to the phone faster in the shorter cord initially but when there is also a contact in the longer cord , the current will saturate the longer cord as well and there is no difference again , because there is a direct contact now, just like a ladder touching the roof and the ground.

What i am sure of 'though is the quality of the cable, charger pass charger mehn!
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by KazikageSama: 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2022
Lol. No it doesn't.
Speed of electricity is too high that it renders the lenght almost negligble.
Howbeit, the lenght can come into play if the material of the charger is of low quality so there will be higher resistance thereby leading to lower current getting to the phone.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Chymummy89: 4:21pm On Sep 06, 2022
Hello... obidient in the house . Una own person for BBN is up this week for eviction. Try to vote for him. Start ur obidient from there. Don't allow APC and pdp to finally label obidient social media party. Campaign for him. Obidient children can do it. Vote for eloswan....
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by MrReeseG(m): 4:21pm On Sep 06, 2022
Na common sense now

The road wey the light go waka inside long cable far small
But short cable the light go sharp sharp enter the phone
You see the physics now

*Lights blunt*
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Minjim: 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:

Thanks! So that what makes some cable original and some fake even if they are the same length -the number of wires in the cable right? Or the quality of wire used?

That should be due to the quality of wire cable used
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 4:25pm On Sep 06, 2022
gambojimeta:

Yes it does affect the speed.

The internal resistance of the cable will be greater for longer cable. Science students will call it Voltage Drop.

the voltage drop explanation does not capture it.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Evilblackman(m): 4:26pm On Sep 06, 2022
Scottz:
Na lie
My cord iPhone cord long pass anaconda grin
The werey fast die
I was about to reply this , I just dey read niqqas tryna be albert Einstein , my phone cord sef long but e dey charge fast pass my old short charger � I don’t know what this niqqas be talking about longer the cord the greater the resistance
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by BJanta: 4:26pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:

is this theory applicable to transmission of electricity from the power station?

Including the cross-sectional area of the wire and the conductivity of the material or metal the wire is made of. Conductivity of metals in increasing order is from Silver to Copper to aluminium in that order. Which means that Copper is a better conductor than aluminium and that is why it used moztly as wires and cables.Silver that conducts better is too expensive.But you find out is that most electrical wires and cable nowadays are made of coated alumunium wires . And these are essentially the fake ones.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Lightorder: 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2022
Jazzman01:

Using the resistivity equation, we can see that the longer the length, the higher the resistance and this will lead to I²R losses. But this is usually countered by increasing the cross-sectional area of the wire. This is done by increasing the number of strands of wire or increasing the thickness of the wire.

Theoretically, length has an effect but when we want to design it for practical purpose, we counter that effect by increasing the thickness of the wire or using multiple strands. So when next you are purchasing a charging cable, you don't have to worry about the length affecting the charging speed because it has been taken care of.
you will never see one ode called moh247 on a very sensible thread like this. He would be busy selling bad candidates
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Mary360(f): 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2022
Shorter cable are faster than the long cable

If you observe well if you have a power bank use the shorter cable for the power bank it will not use up to 4 hours my 20,000ah power banks is full

Cable matters a lot
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2022
phemmyfour:
No

The input volts and output Amps determines the charging speed

Though the quality of the cable is important (Resistivity) in terms of material used

What if input volts, output Amps and quality of cable are all constant.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by ecomalchemistt(m): 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2022
[b]
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Scottz: 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
kamez:

And it would have been faster if the cord was shorter
I have both of them they charge on the same level the same speed
I’m very certain about this
I don’t know why people are forming Einstein on this matter sha. Lol
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Scottz: 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
Evilblackman:

I was about to reply this , I just dey read niqqas tryna be albert Einstein , my phone cord sef long but e dey charge fast pass my old short charger � I don’t know what this niqqas be talking about longer the cord the greater the resistance
ah taya bro grin
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Melonsmasher: 4:34pm On Sep 06, 2022
Obeleagu93:
Ftc for the first time ever on this platform, where is my own. I heard they do give things. Seun and co where una dey
Oga so wetin u gain?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by otokpamike(m): 4:34pm On Sep 06, 2022
So what is the rational or design behind the rating on a charger written output 5v 2A . I thought this output rating should mater too when buying chargers not just the length.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Tqw1: 4:35pm On Sep 06, 2022
No
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by phemmyfour: 4:35pm On Sep 06, 2022
yinkabeauty:

What if input volts, output Amps and quality of cable are all constant.
lol, they can't be constant for you to have a proper charger
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Alusiizizi(m): 4:37pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
Does the length of charging cable affect the speed of charging.... Is it inversely proportional to charging speed? The longer the cable the slower the speed, and the shorter the cable the faster the speed... And if it affect it, what causes it?

YES. Resistivity x Length = total resistance. Voltage/total_resistance=current. current=(directly proportional to charging rate). Of course there are disclaimers to add. Most chargers will include current limiting mechanisms to protect the charger(as well as the charged device). This is particularly true(actually essential) with mosfet based chargers, which is how those cheap China chargers are built(no wonder they are so light weight). For "original" transformer based chargers, current limitation is not nearly as big a problem and a simple fuse addresses that issue.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Kayharry(m): 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

Grab my gadmnnn weed to read some dope shit and learn
After una don yarn finish

Una go also explain to me why my charger dey do super fast charging on my phone

Shebi na cord still cause that one

Your type of charger determine if it's going to do fast charging or not. The wire doesn't determine that

And why he be say our normal electricity transmission (nepa) nor dey follow this principle...

Puffing my weed while I wait for response
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Kayharry(m): 4:39pm On Sep 06, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

Grab my gadmnnn weed to read some dope shit and learn
After una don yarn finish

Una go also explain to me why my charger dey do super fast charging on my phone

Shebi na cord still cause that one

And why he be say our normal electricity transmission (nepa) nor dey follow this principle...

Puffing my weed while I wait for response

Your type of charger determine if it's going to do fast charging or not. The wire doesn't determine that
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2022
MrReeseG:
Na common sense now

The road wey the light go waka inside long cable far small
But short cable the light go sharp sharp enter the phone
You see the physics now

*Lights blunt*

Initially, the current will travel a longer distance but when it gets to the target with constant supply , the current becomes saturated and fill the cord, then speed is insignificant, thats why a long wire shocks you at a very fast speed when touched, sometimes ‘’common sense‘’ may not be
enough to explain science.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Josephkabila12: 4:42pm On Sep 06, 2022
Jazzman01:

Using the resistivity equation, we can see that the longer the length, the higher the resistance and this will lead to I²R losses. But this is usually countered by increasing the cross-sectional area of the wire. This is done by increasing the number of strands of wire or increasing the thickness of the wire.

Theoretically, length has an effect but when we want to design it for practical purpose, we counter that effect by increasing the thickness of the wire or using multiple strands. So when next you are purchasing a charging cable, you don't have to worry about the length affecting the charging speed because it has been taken care of.
I sight u Electrical Engineer.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 4:51pm On Sep 06, 2022
phemmyfour:
lol, they can't be constant for you to have a proper charger

oga, your explanation was no!, lenght does not affect speed of current , that it's amp and input volt and what determines these, the source of power and the charger itself, so the question is if you have the same chager head, the same source of power, the same quality of cord but one cord is longer than the other ,would their not be effect? that's the question.
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Rajiolaade: 4:54pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:

is this theory applicable to transmission of electricity from the power station?
p=vi power= voltage × current , in bulk electricity transmission, current is converted to very high voltage by transformer action I.e step up xformer thereby allowing for very high power to travel long distance with minimal current loss i²r loss with small cross sectional area cable ,the only advantage a.c voltage has over d.c voltage that makes a.c suitable for worldwide utilization.From power stations transformers step voltages up for transmission then step down for utilization at sub stations. O.k

1 Like

Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2022
Kayharry:

the type of charger, the source of power, the quality of wire too, and to an unsignificant extent the length too.

slawomir
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by smoke555: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2022
Jazzman01:

This is bull, determinant parameters are: inductance, capacitance, resistivity, conductance of the material used as a conductor.
(Simply meaning say na the kain wire china ppl use couple ur cord dey determine whether na original abi na fake)
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Pootle: 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2022
iscom:
Capital YES

explain
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by yinkabeauty: 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2022
smoke555:

This is bull, determinant parameters are: inductance, capacitance, resistivity, conductance of the material used as a conductor.
(Simply meaning say na the kain wire china ppl use couple ur cord dey determine whether na original abi na fake)

and resistivity has no connection with length?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Livadesh: 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
kindly explain the physics behind it

V= IR

Voltage = current x resistance

Resistance (R) = ρ L A

Resistance is a function of length and area. The more the length, the more the resistance. The more the resistance to flow of current, the slower the gadget is charged. Do you understand now?
Re: Does The Length Of Charging Cable Affect Charging Speed by Arry110(m): 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2022
Jazzman01:

your school fees no waste

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Telecom Providers Ordered To Shut Down Blackberry Messenger (bbm)? / Senate To Halt Hike Of Data Price / Upgrading From Android 2.2.1 (froyo) To 2.2.3 (ginjerbread), How Is It Done?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.