Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,231 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

My First Major Exposure To Blood - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My First Major Exposure To Blood (892 Views)

Exposure Chemistry Practical Text And Workbook Manual / Robert Onyemaechi Nneli: From Git To Blood Physiology / Uniabuja Economics Students Sign Out In Style, Storm Gwagwalada Major Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2022
Hello, good morning!

I just remembered an incident that happened many years ago, and I thought of sharing here.

One night, I was home with one of my elder cousins (Austin) when word got to us that one of our distant relatives had been stabbed. The story was that he got into a fight in the ghetto. I think I was an SS1 student at the time.

Quickly, Austin approached one of our uncles to ask if he could drive us to the venue. Those that know PH, this happened at Abuja Waterside, off Creek Road.

We got to the venue, picked the gentleman, and off to a hospital we rushed.

There was blood all over the car. I don't remember the exact site he was stabbed, but I think it was one of his limbs. As a 14-year-old kid, the experience was overwhelming. I found the smell and sight of blood intoxicating.

When we arrived the hospital, he was admitted at the emergency unit. I watched as a nurse got her instruments ready to stitch his wound.

But this guy couldn't withstand the pain. Maybe he wasn't adequately numbed. His persistent struggling with the nurse made it impossible to fix him.

"Aya, make una come hold am," she said to us.

"What!" I exclaimed.

Watching the whole drama from afar was traumatizing enough. Asking me to get involved would take my ordeal overboard. But I had no choice.

My cousin, uncle, and I went into the emergency ward to assist as best as we could.

I remember holding one of his legs. Then again the smell of the pool of blood that had gathered beneath him hit me. I soon started feeling dizzy. I saw the edges of the room spin around me. I felt sweat gather on my forehead. I felt my legs become weak. As all these were happening, I tried to take a hold of myself. I wasn't going to become a laughing stock back at home.

No matter how much I tried, my symptoms didn't get better. In fact, they got worse. Soon, my breathing was affected. My airway was becoming constricted. I tried to support my breathing with my mouth but this didn't help.

I was collapsing. I was sure only a few seconds stood between me and the floor.

I left the guy's legs and rushed to the door. I held the door tightly for support as I pushed my head out of the room to get some fresh air.

#End of Story.

4 Likes

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2022
Why I Shared this Story.

I've had several opportunities to discuss career aspirations with teenagers. Some have told me they would have loved to be doctors but they don't like the sight of blood. Some adults have said this too. The other day, one of my nieces told me if not for her "hatred" for blood, she would have loved to be a nurse. She's currently studying Biomedical Sciences (SLT) in a Southern university.

Recall the story I shared in my initial post. You'd imagine that I'd make career choices that'd take me as far away from blood as possible. But this isn't the case. I have bachelor's and master's degrees in Human Physiology. I'm currently a final-year medical student training in one of the northern teaching hospitals. See how "bloody" my career path is!

Guess what? My horrible experience in the story I shared did not affect me in any way. In the course of my training, I've been exposed to all manner of things. I've assisted in very bloody surgeries. None of these things disturbed me in any way.

People have said that they don't want to study Medicine because they can't deal with dead bodies. People have said they can't study Accounting because they can't deal with calculations. People have said they can't study Law because they can't read volumes. People always find reasons why they can't do things.

I believe many people are looking at the wrong things in choosing careers. I'm of the opinion that the difficulty of the process, or the discomfort of the training, should not deter anyone from going after the field he/she loves. Unless, of course, the field of choice poses a threat to the person's health.

Once you love the discipline, every other thing can be sorted out. There's actually nothing a trained and determined heart can't endure. In the first year of your training, you'd get used to most of these things.

So, the purpose of this post is to tell you that you should forget about your fears. If you love it, go after it. Train your mind to defeat that fear. Get used to the processes of your discipline. Bury yourself in them. In no time, you'd find those things you had phobia for have become your pals.

Sometimes, our fears are projections of our ignorance. The more learned we become, the less likely we are to be afraid.

Just thought of sharing this.

Have a wonderful day.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, GideonG, Richiez, Seun

6 Likes

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by robinso01(m): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2022
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by HarlequinLekex: 9:50am On Sep 09, 2022
If this story is true,How can i patient family help a nurse in the ward to help her do her job only in african countries i see this happening
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 9:51am On Sep 09, 2022
HarlequinLekex:
If this story is true,How can i patient family help a nurse in the ward to help her do her job only in african countries i see this happening

This is the same question I ask now that I know better.

The story is true. Very true. And guess what, this still happens in today's Nigeria.

I think the reason is that most(?) hospitals are not adequately staffed.
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by Clinton39(m): 10:34am On Sep 09, 2022
TONYE001:
Why I Shared this Story.

I've had several opportunities to discuss career aspirations with teenagers. Some have told me they would have loved to be doctors but they don't like the sight of blood. Some adults have said this too. The other day, one of my nieces told me she if not for her "hatred" for blood, she would have loved to become to nurse. She's currently studying Biomedical Sciences (SLT) in a Southern university.

Recall the story I shared in my initial post. You'd imagine that I'd make career choices that'd take me as far away from blood as possible. But this isn't the case. I have bachelor's and master's degrees in Human Physiology. I'm currently a final-year medical student training in one of the middle-belt teaching hospitals. See how "bloody" my career path is!

Guess what? My horrible experience in the story I shared did not affect me in any way. In the course of my training, I've been exposed to all manner of things. I've assisted in very bloody surgeries. None of these things disturbed me in any way.

People have said that they don't want to study Medicine e because they can't deal with dead bodies. People have said they can't study Accounting ng because they can't deal with the calculations. People have said they can't study Law because they can't read volumes. People always find reasons why they can't do things.

I believe many people are looking at the wrong things in choosing careers. I'm of the opinion that the difficulty of the process, or the discomfort of the training should not deter anyone from going after the field he/she loves. Unless, of course, the field of choice poses a threat to the person's health.

Once you love the discipline, every other thing can be sorted out. There's actually nothing you a trained and determined heart can't endure. In the first year of your training, you'd get used to most of these things.

So, the purpose of this post is to tell you that you should forget about your fears. If you love it, go after it. Train your mind to defeat that fear. Get used to the processes of your discipline. Bury yourself in them. In no time, you'd find those things you had phobia for have become your pals.

Sometimes, our fears are projections of our ignorance. The more learned we become, the less likely we are to be afraid.

Just thought of sharing this.

Have a wonderful day.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, GideonG, Richiez, Seun
Truer words have never been spoken.
. More grease to your elbow doc.
You are a big inspiration (I have read your diary). I am an aspirant of medicine. I pray that the God that did it for you do it for me too.
God bless you doc.

1 Like

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by SporaD8: 1:46pm On Sep 09, 2022
Actually the sight of blood scares me not. but that putrid gut stench... I can never stand it! How do you bloody butchers surgeon cope with it?!

1 Like

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 3:24pm On Sep 09, 2022
Clinton39:

Truer words have never been spoken.
. More grease to your elbow doc.
You are a big inspiration (I have read your diary). I am an aspirant of medicine. I pray that the God that did it for you do it for me too.
God bless you doc.

Thank you very much, doc, for your kind words.

May God perfect things for you!

We're here to celebrate with you.

Cheers.
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by Clinton39(m): 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2022
TONYE001:

Thank you very much, doc, for your kind words.
May God perfect things for you!
We're here to celebrate with you.
Cheers.
Amen. Thank you doc. Success is yours.

1 Like

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
SporaD8:
Actually the sight of blood scares me not.
but that putrid gut stench... I can never stand it!
How do you bloody butchers surgeon cope with it?!

Over time, people get used to these things.

2 Likes

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by EcstasyCloud9: 11:25pm On Sep 09, 2022
I love this.
Thank you sir for this.

Although I'm not in any way interested in the medical field, I just have this massive respect for Doctors.

And I also like seeing people fulfilled in their course of study, almost to a point I feel like leading or helping people to discover what they love is equally as fulfilling.

1 Like

Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by phatriqk(m): 12:00am On Sep 10, 2022
Blood dey smell?? shocked
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 7:42am On Sep 10, 2022
EcstasyCloud9:
I love this.
Thank you sir for this.

Although I'm not in any way interested in the medical field, I just have this massive respect for Doctors.

And I also like seeing people fulfilled in their course of study, almost to a point I feel like leading or helping people to discover what they love is equally as fulfilling.

Thank you very much.
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 7:42am On Sep 10, 2022
phatriqk:
Blood dey smell?? shocked

Yes, blood get smell.
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by Vegan99: 1:33am On Sep 12, 2022
TONYE001:

Yes, blood get smell.
Weldone Mr.Tonye001

I've been following your diary and all your literal works here on nairaland. Literature runs in your blood I must say.

More power to your elbow.
Re: My First Major Exposure To Blood by TONYE001(m): 11:24pm On Sep 12, 2022
Vegan99:
Weldone Mr.Tonye001

I've been following your diary and all your literal works here on nairaland. Literature runs in your blood I must say.

More power to your elbow.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

University Of Jos Increased It's Tuition Fee From 45k To Over 170k / Magazine Publication / Elf Scholarship Ph Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.