Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,441 members, 7,861,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:19 AM

National Identity Day: I Will Not Issue Letter of Origin to Anyone Without NIN, - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / National Identity Day: I Will Not Issue Letter of Origin to Anyone Without NIN, (265 Views)

How To Check If Your National Identity Card (NIMC) Is Ready For Collection / Origin: Who Is The Brain Behind #10YearsChallenge? / Facts About Victor Moses And His State Of Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

National Identity Day: I Will Not Issue Letter of Origin to Anyone Without NIN, by Newsextra014: 10:53pm On Sep 09, 2022
The Ayangburen of Ikorodu, His Royal Majesty, Oba Kabir Adewale Shotobi, has vowed not to issue a letter of indigeneship to anyone without National Identification Number (NIN) in his kingdom.

Oba Shotobi made this known during the 4th edition of the National Identity Day in his palace at Ikorodu, on Friday, 9th of September 2022.

Speaking at the event, organized by The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to mark 2022 Identity Day , Oba Shotobi, who commended the Federal Government for introducing NIN to Nigerians, said the world is now digital, therefore, urged the Ikorodu indigenes to go out en mass to register for the NIN exercise.

He, however, urged the Federal Government to recognize traditional rulers in terms of grassroots mobilization, whilst commending the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami), and DG/CEO NIMC, Engr Aliyu Aziz for including Traditional Rulers in this year's celebration of the National Identity Day.

“I will play an advisory role since the FG dimmed it fit that traditional rulers are very close to the grassroots, that is why I am advocating for my indigene to get NIN because if you don't have NIN, I won't give you a letter of origin in Ikorodu.

“It was gathered that over 10 million people have registered in Lagos and we are more than 22 million, we need to work hard and ensure Lagosians are fully involved in NIN registration. My Chiefs will take the NIN gospel to their various communities”.

Oba Shotobi also lauded one of the NIMC officials in Ikorodu, Nofiu Khadijat, the Cluster Head of Ikorodu LGA for a job well done and for being a good representative of the Commission in Ikorodu.

Also speaking at the event, the Head, Corporate Communications, Mr Kayode Adekoge, who represented the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy , Isa Ali Pantami and NIMC Director - General /Chief Executive Officer, Engr. Aliyu Aziz said, The National Identity Day started 4 years ago in Nigeria , and our theme for this year is "Traditional Institutions as Critical Stakeholders for Citizen’s Mobilization".

Adegoke noted that NIMC's plan is to take enrollment to the people irrespective of where they are, either Urban or rural areas.

"We the officials of NIMC are at the palace of Ayangburen of Ikorodu in Lagos State for the Kabiyesi to help us stimulate and engage the people in Ikorodu and environs to take an active part in the ongoing NIN enrollment.”

Adekoge noted that we have 90 million enrollments on our database across the country as we speak, that's why the Minister and the FG wants to involve the traditional rulers to help spread the gospel to their communities.

We believe that traditional rulers are the ones that can help us mobilize the citizens in their locality.

Nigeria is a forefront member of ID4Africa movement, a movement motivated by the need to promote legal identity for all in Africa as premised on the Sustainable Development Goals 16:9.

In the same vein, the Regional Coordinator of NIMC in Lagos State, Mrs Funmi Opesanwo thanked Oba Babatunde Shotobi for always giving NIMC a warm reception anytime the organization knocks on his door. She added that the focus on the role of the traditional institutions in propagating the importance and benefits of the National Identification Number (NIN) is very important.

"We have over 50 NIN Enrolment Centres in the LGAs and LCDAs across Lagos State, whilst also informing the public that the FG licensed some Frontend Enrolment Partners (FEPs) for the registration of citizens and legal residents into the National Identity Database.

In conclusion, this year's National Identity Day is to promote awareness on the need for the NIN registration, as the event is replicated across all the Regions in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Hootsuite: Social Media Dashboard Promo Code / OBS Studio Guide For Beginners In 2022: Complete Tutorial / How To Improve Your Typing Speed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.