Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! (2796 Views)

Pictures From TECNO Spark 3 Campus Tour / This New Pocket-sized Drone Has Come To Replace The Selfie Stick. (photos) / GLO Glo Campus Booster: New Tariff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by TMKsouth: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2022
University of Pretoria has a RoboCop dog!

It can dance. It can sniff. It does a backflip with ease. And it’s a bit of a show-off, only too happy to be one of the University of Pretoria’s (UP’s) greatest pride and joys.

It is smWoef, the University’s new robot dog, a 12kg Unitree A1 that stands less than half a metre tall.

Why smWoef?

The “sm” stands for “smart” because it is a Smart Alternative Transportation Platform connected to the internet, and “woef” is the Afrikaans spelling for “woof”, the sound a dog makes, because smWoef is a four-legged robot that resembles a dog.

Despite the formulation of its name, however, it is pronounced as one syllable – as if it were written as “smwoef”.

smWoef arrived at UP from China last year.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by TMKsouth: 2:33pm On Sep 10, 2022
Being able to smell means it can operate like a sniffer dog because they can programme it to analyse and track a smell.

Being able to traverse difficult-to-access terrains, and do so without leaving DNA like humans would means it can collect data from scenes without contaminating them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e62COsIvRQ

2 Likes

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by rusher14: 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2022
Naija is not even learning.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by MrBONE2(m): 2:54pm On Sep 10, 2022
rusher14:

grin
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Natbrowny: 2:58pm On Sep 10, 2022
rusher14:

They are. But if dem try am. Boiz go steal dat thing.

5 Likes

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by WannaCRY: 3:31pm On Sep 10, 2022
shocked wat I fine Google, universtiy Pretoria like technology

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Patrioticbreed9(m): 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2022
I love your country.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by franchasofficia: 5:40pm On Sep 10, 2022
Such is needed in Northern Nigeria to combat Banditry.

Tell me why can't Nigerian government go to Turkey to procure security surveillance drones that can decimate the whole Bandits in the North without exposing Nigeria's underpaid junior soldiers to unwarranted death of facing worthless terrorists that have made up their minds to die for nothing?

Use of technology is the only way out for Nigeria to win war against terrorism with low military casualties.

Deploy drones in all Nigerian forests to monitor movements of Bandits and use a centralized command system to check the nature of those moving or occupying our various forests and once they are armed and not sanctioned by Nigerian authority, the central command can then instruct the drones to begin bombardments while a land troop is mounted on the four corners of that forest to clear out those trying to escape the drone bombardment.

All these and more are more than possible if we have a President that have the willpower to truly end terrorism and insecurity in Nigeria without hypocrisy and prejudice.

Vote Obi-Datti and watch Nigeria enjoy peace again

2 Likes

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by rusher14: 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2022
Let's be honest, our academics don't even have a standard.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by emorse(m): 6:05pm On Sep 10, 2022
rusher14:
Let's be honest, our academics don't even have a standard.
ASUU wants a pay rise.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Robisky001(m): 6:59pm On Sep 10, 2022
The shopping malls in SA need this smWoef urgently that the University of Pretoria.
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by WannaCRY: 7:14pm On Sep 10, 2022
Robisky001:
The shopping malls in SA need this smWoef urgently that the University of Pretoria.

Here's one starting trouble with the L-word undecided

Anyway, y'all were posting SA was gonna starve since last July, and that people were eating each other angry. WISHFUL THINKING!

All millions of SA malls now fixed cool

https://www.news24.com/Fin24/sa-has-6th-most-shopping-centres-in-the-world-and-building-more-20171224

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by WannaCRY: 7:26pm On Sep 10, 2022
Robisky001:

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/covid-cant-break-south-africas-love-affair-with-shopping-malls-2022-06-29/

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Mywd: 8:15pm On Sep 10, 2022
Very good

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by iLoveYouToo(m): 8:41pm On Sep 10, 2022
WannaCRY:
shocked wat I fine Google, universtiy Pretoria like technology

What are you trying to say homie ?
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by WannaCRY: 8:49pm On Sep 10, 2022
iLoveYouToo:

What are you trying to say homie ?

I'm trying to say University of Pretoria is an early adopter of new technologies.

Late Queen Elizabeth's Nigerian eloquent stepson who's on the lookout for correct English grammar on Nairaland - here's Stevie (the 3rd robot deployed at University of Pretoria in less than 5 years).

2 Likes

Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Mercury12(m): 10:31pm On Sep 10, 2022
TMKsouth:
University of Pretoria has a RoboCop dog!

It can dance. It can sniff. It does a backflip with ease. And it’s a bit of a show-off, only too happy to be one of the University of Pretoria’s (UP’s) greatest pride and joys.

It is smWoef, the University’s new robot dog, a 12kg Unitree A1 that stands less than half a metre tall.

Why smWoef?

The “sm” stands for “smart” because it is a Smart Alternative Transportation Platform connected to the internet, and “woef” is the Afrikaans spelling for “woof”, the sound a dog makes, because smWoef is a four-legged robot that resembles a dog.

Despite the formulation of its name, however, it is pronounced as one syllable – as if it were written as “smwoef”.

smWoef arrived at UP from China last year.

The only part that breaks my heart.

Africans needs to learn what it takes to be truly independent
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by just2endowed: 11:34pm On Sep 10, 2022
See moving nation
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Bankowner: 12:19am On Sep 11, 2022
I can list three things it cannot do despite its sophistication:
1. It can neither eat nor drink
2. It cannot piss
3. It cannot poo
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Abbeypp(m): 12:23am On Sep 11, 2022
Hello nairaland pls am in need of you guys help.....am a documentary and portraits photographer but recently I have challenge with my lens which I have spent a lot of money on.....pls am writing this to you all to assist me with any photography gigs within southwest so as to raise enough funds for myself.......or if anyone has willing to assist me financially i will be very very grateful....things are really tight right now.......pls reach out to me on

herbisodunola27@gmail.com

Thank you sir/ma
Re: PICTURES: SA University Secures Campus With This New Robo-cop Sniffer Dog! by Flamethehussler: 9:04am On Sep 11, 2022
rusher14:

Natbrowny:

They are. But if dem try am. Boiz go steal dat thing.
How will they when we're on strike

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tecno Spark 10 Pro VS Samsung A14 Ultimate Comparison / Using Verve Card To Purchase Games / Which Android Browser Do You Use?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.