Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) (5783 Views)

Some Of The Ugliest Persons In The World [See Photos] / The Tree Of Life, Cedars Of God & Other Famous Trees In The World (Pictures) / 13 of The Most Ugliest People In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Smalloga: 4:07am On Sep 13, 2022
Watch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3JVETp6QE

How well do you know Mary Ann Bevan?
Considering the fact that Mary Ann Bevan died in 1933, very few people alive today would be old enough to know her, but truthfully having researched her history, I wished that I had the opportunity to meet her. Given the moniker, the “world’s ugliest woman” it’s obvious that those who gave her that nickname were judging her alone by her appearance, certainly not by her strength of character. For her beauty may not have been visible to the naked eye but to those who gave her a chance and saw her from within, she was strikingly beautiful.

Born in December 1884, Mary Ann was one of eight children born to an impoverished family in Plaistow, East London. She ultimately was trained to be a nurse and at the age of 29, she married Thomas Bevan and she went on to become the mother of four children. At the time of her marriage, few could argue her outer beauty matched her inner beauty. Eleven years into her marriage, her husband died leaving her to care for her four young children.

Here’s the dilemma. Mary Ann developed a condition known as acromegaly, a condition where the body produced too much growth hormone. Anyone who was into professional wrestling during the ’70s and 80s or ever saw Fezzik in the movie Princess Bride would recognize the name “Andre the Giant”. He, too, had acromegaly.

The condition can lead to enlargement of the hands and feet and it could result in the enlargement of facial features. In Mary Ann’s case, she became more masculine and her disproportionate features would have been deemed unattractive. Acromegaly is painful to those who are afflicted as the bones and the tissue grow at a rapid rate. Given her unsightly appearance, obtaining gainful employment was difficult and she was left with no means to support her children.

Determined to do anything she could to support those children, she swallowed what little pride she had left and she took a job in a freak show under the title “world’s ugliest woman”. Mary didn’t like putting herself on exhibition. She was shy and she didn’t want to be separated from her children. Given her family was at stake, she accepted the job and placed her children at boarding schools. Mary Ann started her tour of the U.K. working for famous circus showman P. T. Barnum. She was so successful though that Barnum quickly put her on a ship for America. Almost immediately Mary Ann was on the cover of every publication in New York, being heralded as the “ugliest woman on Earth”. Mary Ann became the star of Barnum’s “freak show”, overshadowing incredibly tall people, midgets, conjoined twins, and bearded ladies.

Not everyone was entertained by Mary Ann Bevan, though. In 1927, leading neurosurgeon Harvey Cushing wrote to Time magazine, complaining that Time Magazine and other publications should not be laughing at the physical diseases that were afflicting Mary Ann Bevan or anyone else.

I certainly agree with Harvey Cushing’s assessment. It is sad that this nation ever had a P. T. Barnum freak show. It is even sadder that, because of her appearance, Mary Ann Bevan couldn’t find gainful employment that didn’t exploit her illness. However, as horrible as those shows were at least she was able to support her family.

The years of touring, along with her affliction, took their toll on Mary Ann. She died in 1933 at the age of 49, a broken woman. She had lost her entire wealth to bad investments and her developing a drinking problem. Mary Ann Bevan was buried at the Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery in South London.

For the people of Great Britain, personally, I would be proud to call her one of my own. I'm proud we share the same first name. Very few would have the fortitude and strength of character to endure what she did.

Today, acromegaly is a condition that can be treated and controlled.

Copied.

2 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by izuch(m): 4:11am On Sep 13, 2022
Ok

1 Like

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by EricSmallz(m): 4:19am On Sep 13, 2022
Looks like deformity

2 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by 50Kilometer: 5:50am On Sep 13, 2022
grin she isn't the ugliest person I've seen.

5 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by akinmusi(m): 6:00am On Sep 13, 2022
Desist from posting derogatory remarks.

Well those interested in real estate and earning commissions as side hustle from sales of Real Estate and Car deals can get in touch with me.

NB: you must have passion and be committed to online networking and integration and I will also give you tips for true emancipation.

Check my signature.

2 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Christian36: 6:20am On Sep 13, 2022
To me the ugliest people are those wicked and heartless people.

7 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Corridon: 6:23am On Sep 13, 2022
Yemi my Yoruba girlfriend still remains the ugliest ever seen by mankind.

1 Like

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Kimiso(m): 6:30am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:
i guess you just wan chop and dump her

1 Like

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Corridon: 6:31am On Sep 13, 2022
Kimiso:
i guess you just wan chop and dump her
Na her large nyash still de attract me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by TheNiceGuy(m): 6:35am On Sep 13, 2022
She has yam leg or is she hairy chested?
Corridon:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by gonkin(m): 6:36am On Sep 13, 2022
Ive seen one, na ogun babe. In fact that babe is hideous

1 Like

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Corridon: 6:37am On Sep 13, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
She has both of them. Chai my Yemi is damn ugly but I can't resist her killer curves.
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by TheNiceGuy(m): 6:39am On Sep 13, 2022
Then she's not Yoruba as you claimed but your fellow Ipob.

Hairy chest and yam leg is not attribute of Yorubas, we know people who with those attributes
Corridon:
She has both of them. Chai my Yemi is damn ugly but I can't resist her killer curves.

6 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by MMempire(m): 6:44am On Sep 13, 2022
This reminds me of the greatest showman movie.

"It's everything you ever want
It's everything you ever need
And it's here right in front of you
This is where you wanna be (this is where you wanna be)
It's everything you ever want
It's everything you ever need
And it's here right in front of you
This is where you wanna be
This is where you wanna be"
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Corridon: 6:46am On Sep 13, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Then she's not Yoruba as you claimed but your fellow Ipob.

Hairy chest and yam leg is not attribute of Yorubas, we know people who with those attributes
An Ilesha prince can't date girls outside Yoruba land. As a heir to the throne I have to date our own. Yemi is from Ile Ife. She is too ugly but I still like her.

4 Likes

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by everythinggirly(f): 7:13am On Sep 13, 2022
You guys should leave her alone, she didn't kill anyone.
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Kimiso(m): 7:44am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:
fear God, what if you go blind before you dump her
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Alphastudent(m): 7:47am On Sep 13, 2022
gonkin:
Ive seen one, na ogun babe. In fact that babe is hideous
grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Princessogaraya(f): 7:49am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:

Guy you wicked grin
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by MrBroke(m): 8:44am On Sep 13, 2022
Beauty is what you make it

1 Like

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by youngZee23: 10:17am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:
What if by mistake u impregnate her..and she refuse to remove it.
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Corridon: 10:21am On Sep 13, 2022
youngZee23:
What if by mistake u impregnate her..and she refuse to remove it.
I'll run away.
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Kiddogarcia(m): 10:29am On Sep 13, 2022
Na agbo I wan sell jaree.
Na we be your best plug for everything sexual enhancement
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by lorraine855: 10:37am On Sep 13, 2022
Great.

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by lusid: 11:44am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:
have you fùcked her
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by lusid: 11:47am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:
An Ilesha prince can't date girls outside Yoruba land. As a heir to the throne I have to date our own. Yemi is from Ile Ife. She is too ugly but I still like her.
connect me to an ilesha girl. am a prince too.
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 13, 2022
One man's food is another man's poison !!!
Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by HolyMan12: 11:58am On Sep 13, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Igbo Jews are the ones who have pattent to yam legs and hairy chest grin

You can also call them Yam-miri grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ugliest Woman In The World (pictures) by youngZee23: 11:58am On Sep 13, 2022
Corridon:
I'll run away.
grin
Corridon:
I'll run away.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has Reprinting Of JAMB 2018 Exam Slip Begun? Monitoring Thread / Unclad Twerker Now In Studying For A-Levels / Dragnet Past Questions Samples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.