Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue (568 Views)

Please, How Much Is Wisdom Tooth Removal In Nigeria? / Is There A Way To Treat An Impacted Tooth Without Removal? / Tooth Decay And Cavities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by obiskidguru: 3:34pm On Sep 15, 2022
I developed pain around my left wisdom tooth 2 saturdays ago which became very serious by midnight and left me in pains till the next morning.

I had to look for a dentist online and begged to see him the next day since they were all closed on sundays. He told me to get cataflam and augmetin to help with the pain before he comes to the office in the afternoon. The pain disapeared within two hours and i later went there to do a scan which showed that the tooth is impacted.

He recommended extraction and said i even have to remove all four since none was out yet. According to him they should have been out at my age (25 yrs), though he didn't do a scan for the remaining 3.
I had to leave there when he called #120k for the removal of only one.

I finally went to a federal hospital and after all the stress involved to see the dentist, he also recommend same and even referred me to his private lab to do another scan. He said i will pay 100k to remove all four. I had to leave it too as i went there because i thought federal hospitals are way cheaper not to mention the second scan i have to go do outside.

Someone later gave me the contact of another dentist and after talking to him, he requested 60k to remove all four. I was actually considering using him if i get the money but i started having second thoughts when he always message me to ask when i'm coming. I don't know if he is actually good or just after money.
Initiallly i told him i don't have the money yet so i need some time to get if but if the pain comes again I'll come remove only the one that disturbed me, but he keeps on calling almost everyday to pressure me.

Another concern is my dad who is totally against it because he had a very bad experience back then with tooth extraction. He believes the tooth wont disturb me as long as i keep to his advice which is daily salt water and alum therapy.

I told him i have to remove it since several doctors recommended same just that i cant afford it now.

I need to know if anyone has been in this situation before. I only had pains in one of them and it has since not disturbed me again. The remaining three have never disturbed me.

If i have to remove it, how long might i have before the pain comes back? The drugs i was taking have finished already so i only use salt solutions sometimes. All four of them are completely buried under my gums.

Sorry for the long write up and typos.

1 Like

Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by obiskidguru: 7:51pm On Sep 15, 2022
Pls anyone embarassed
Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by Sewasaunt(f): 10:17am On Sep 16, 2022
Hello Sir,

I guess you already understand what an impacted tooth is and you have experienced the pain first hand (and how crazy it can be).

Now, please ignore the Dentist that keeps calling, in fact I am embarrassed on his behalf, he's obviously more concerned about money and that is very unprofessional. He may not even be a Dentist, I can assure you that no qualified Dentist especially in Lagos will charge 60,000 for 4 surgical extractions.

Also, does this dentist intend to remove all the 4 impacted teeth at once? It is not standard practice to do multiple surgical extractions in one visit. It is one at a time, else it will be too traumatic for the patient.

You should only do it if and when you are fully convinced.

Please which state are you in?

If you are in Lagos, please try Luth at Idi Araba, Mushin, Lasuth at Ikeja or the dental clinic in Ojokoro primary health Centre(this one wont take too much time).

The hospitals may take your time (waiting time and booking time) but you can be assured of good care and the surgical extraction won't exceed 25,000.

There are also some good private centres, please ask and be sure before you go ahead.

It is good to remove all four, and it is the standard practice in the US (where it is done under general anaesthesia) but here in Nigeria, I advice patients to remove the symptomatic one (the one paining you).

You can never say never in medicine so the others may never hurt you and they may hurt, no one can say.

Whatever you decide, please know that the one hurting may still hurt later and can be worse than your previous episode.

Concerning what your dad said, yes- people are different and experiences differ. I don't know where he received care or when it was nor who it was, even the most experienced Dentist has hard cases sometimes.

Extractions should be painless (a bit of discomfort, yes but minimal pain)

Don't endanger your health because of fear.

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by obiskidguru: 10:15am On Sep 17, 2022
Sewasaunt:
Hello Sir,

I guess you already understand what an impacted tooth is and you have experienced the pain first hand (and how crazy it can be).

Thanks for your input. I am not in lagos. The doctor i met in the federal hospital here runs his private practice and only comes once a week. He's the one that referred me to go do another scan outside and also requested 60k to remove two.

He said he'll remove two first and then the remaining two later. But the last doctor pressuring me said i can remove all four at once.

Is Luth charge of 25k for only one because i was thinking of traveling down to Nnamdi Azikiwe teaching hospital anambra?

I just need to know how long i might have before the pain comes again.

Here is the scan result

Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by Sewasaunt(f): 11:52am On Sep 17, 2022
obiskidguru:

Thanks for your input. I am not in lagos. The doctor i met in the federal hospital here runs his private practice and only comes once a week. He's the one that referred me to go do another scan outside and also requested 60k to remove two.

He said he'll remove two first and then the remaining two later. But the last doctor pressuring me said i can remove all four at once.

Is Luth charge of 25k for only one because i was thinking of traveling down to Nnamdi Azikiwe teaching hospital anambra?

I just need to know how long i might have before the pain comes again.

Here is the scan result

Please, I think you should try the teaching hospital or a trusted private practice.

Run as far as you can from the person claiming you can remove all four at once.

Just with local anaesthesia? All four impacted molars? I don't think that's a smart thing to do.

I can't predict and its impossible to predict when next you may have pain but I'll advice you to sort that tooth soon.

If you look at that xray, you will see that the impacted tooth is lying on and applying pressure on the tooth in front of it, if it keeps getting worse, that tooth too may go bad and you will now need to take out two teeth. It won't be immediate, it may be many years from now, but it's a possibility.

My mantra is always "the earlier the better".
Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by obiskidguru: 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2022
Sewasaunt:

Please, I think you should try the teaching hospital or a trusted private practice.

Run as far as you can from the person claiming you can remove all four at once.

Just with local anaesthesia? All four impacted molars? I don't think that's a smart thing to do.

I can't predict and its impossible to predict when next you may have pain but I'll advice you to sort that tooth soon.

If you look at that xray, you will see that the impacted tooth is lying on and applying pressure on the tooth in front of it, if it keeps getting worse, that tooth too may go bad and you will now need to take out two teeth. It won't be immediate, it may be many years from now, but it's a possibility.

My mantra is always "the earlier the better".

Alright.. Thanks alot ma
God bless
Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by anyilalaz: 9:04pm On Sep 17, 2022
obiskidguru:
I developed pain around my left wisdom tooth 2 saturdays ago which became very serious by midnight and left me in pains till the next morning.

I had to look for a dentist online and begged to see him the next day since they were all closed on sundays. He told me to get cataflam and augmetin to help with the pain before he comes to the office in the afternoon. The pain disapeared within two hours and i later went there to do a scan which showed that the tooth is impacted.

He recommended extraction and said i even have to remove all four since none was out yet. According to him they should have been out at my age (25 yrs), though he didn't do a scan for the remaining 3.
I had to leave there when he called #120k for the removal of only one.

I finally went to a federal hospital and after all the stress involved to see the dentist, he also recommend same and even referred me to his private lab to do another scan. He said i will pay 100k to remove all four. I had to leave it too as i went there because i thought federal hospitals are way cheaper not to mention the second scan i have to go do outside.

Someone later gave me the contact of another dentist and after talking to him, he requested 60k to remove all four. I was actually considering using him if i get the money but i started having second thoughts when he always message me to ask when i'm coming. I don't know if he is actually good or just after money.
Initiallly i told him i don't have the money yet so i need some time to get if but if the pain comes again I'll come remove only the one that disturbed me, but he keeps on calling almost everyday to pressure me.

Another concern is my dad who is totally against it because he had a very bad experience back then with tooth extraction. He believes the tooth wont disturb me as long as i keep to his advice which is daily salt water and alum therapy.

I told him i have to remove it since several doctors recommended same just that i cant afford it now.

I need to know if anyone has been in this situation before. I only had pains in one of them and it has since not disturbed me again. The remaining three have never disturbed me.

If i have to remove it, how long might i have before the pain comes back? The drugs i was taking have finished already so i only use salt solutions sometimes. All four of them are completely buried under my gums.

Sorry for the long write up and typos.

Bro I fill your pains. No word can actually explain the excruciating pains. I had a similar experience. Out of the four wisdom teeth, one was giving me the hell of a pain. The dentist recommended removing the four but not at once. However, he gave me the option because of the cost to remove the devilish one only which I did and this is more than a 2 yrs now. I no longer feel any pain and no issues with the remaining three. Though I have to improve on my oral hygiene. Brush morning and night. Avoiding carbonated drinks, sugary foods, etc.

I did mine in Lagos, precisely at Beacon Hill Smile Dental Clinic. Toyin Street Ikeja. Lagos.

If you are out of Lagos, visit any FMC, or general hospital. Insist on removing the one causing the pain.

Run away from the 60k guy.
Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by obiskidguru: 1:03am On Sep 18, 2022
anyilalaz:

Bro I fill your pains. No word can actually explain the excruciating pains. I had a similar experience. Out of the four wisdom teeth, one was giving me the hell of a pain. The dentist recommended removing the four but not at once. However, he gave me the option because of the cost to remove the devilish one only which I did and this is more than a 2 yrs now. I no longer feel any pain and no issues with the remaining three. Though I have to improve on my oral hygiene. Brush morning and night. Avoiding carbonated drinks, sugary foods, etc.

I did mine in Lagos, precisely at Beacon Hill Smile Dental Clinic. Toyin Street Ikeja. Lagos.

If you are out of Lagos, visit any FMC, or general hospital. Insist on removing the one causing the pain.

Run away from the 60k guy.

How was your post surgery experience? I have read a lot of scary post from different people online though seems it differs for some.

How would you rate the pain you felt after the operation btw 1-10
Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by anyilalaz: 8:38am On Sep 18, 2022
obiskidguru:

How was your post surgery experience? I have read a lot of scary post from different people online though seems it differs for some.

How would you rate the pain you felt after the operation btw 1-10

During the extraction it was a feeling of numbness from the local anesthesia. However, after the operation, I given some analgesics and antibiotics plus vitamins C. So I observed taking the drugs as prescribed while using the water salt solution first thing in the morning and after every meal.

The pain was very low. Scale of 1 to 10. I will give it 3.

Though in less than 2wks, I visited tge clinic for post operation observation.
Re: I need Advice On Impacted Wisdom Tooth issue by obiskidguru: 11:28am On Sep 18, 2022
anyilalaz:

During the extraction it was a feeling of numbness from the local anesthesia. However, after the operation, I given some analgesics and antibiotics plus vitamins C. So I observed taking the drugs as prescribed while using the water salt solution first thing in the morning and after every meal.

The pain was very low. Scale of 1 to 10. I will give it 3.

Though in less than 2wks, I visited tge clinic for post operation observation.

Alright..
Thanks boss

(1) (Reply)

!!! If You're Diabetic Avoid These Herbs !!! / Loose Weight Naturally / Bath Or Shower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.