Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,718 members, 7,820,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property (1451 Views)

Wike Signs Executive Order 22: bans Use Of Residential Areas For Campaigns / Wike Signs Motion Derecognising Celestine Omehia As Governor / Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Kingozymandias(m): 4:24pm On Sep 16, 2022
Wike signs law allowing women to inherit their father's property alongside with men in Rivers State.

(Rivers State Prohibition of the Curtailment of Women’s Right to Share in Family Property Law.

Speaking on the law to prohibit the curtailment of women’s right to share in family property law, Governor Wike expressed displeasure at how most cultures, particularly in Rivers State, do not encourage what engenders growth among the people.
He wondered why women are deprived from sharing in the inheritance of their families when they are often the most useful members of the society in comparism to most male children.

Governor Wike asserted that the law is important to the development of the State, because it will enable its people to actualise their potentials, as women will be allowed by law to inherit their entitlements..

“I don’t know why it’s a taboo; because you’re a girl, because of this is a woman, you’re not entitled to inherit what belongs to your father.

“It is not you who decides whether you will have a girl or you’ll have a boy, it is God. So, put yourself in their shoes today where, by the mercy of God you have three children and they’re all girls and you struggle in life to see what you can keep for your children.

“Tomorrow, one of their uncles comes, and say, my friend, girls don’t inherit their father’s property. With all your efforts in life, somebody comes to discriminate against them, why? We have even found out that women are more useful to us then even the men.

“The day, you’re getting old and dying you’ll know that you need more daughters than men. They will leave their husbands house and come to take care of you.”

Governor Wike urged women not to be afraid of any threat from members of their families concerning inheritance. He asked them to stand up for their rights and challenge any discrimination against them in court, using the law in order to access their entitlements.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2022/09/wike-ends-denial-of-women-inheritance-in-rivers-new-law/amp/

Seun Mynd4 lalasticlalà mukiŋa2 rocktatioŋ justwisè óam4j nlfpmoɗ

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2022
It can't happen as far as there's a son there
Unless its only daughters

2 Likes

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Zonefree(m): 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2022
Before you drag land or property, make sure your uncle is not Chinwetalu Agu because a living kpekus is better than a dead kpekus.

A word is enough for a fool.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Romanoff(f): 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2022
We thank God.

I've always wondered what the place of a woman is in the south east and south south.

They can't inherit their father's property and they can't inherit their husband's property cause of the husband's brothers and family, worse if the man dies, na to throw her out remain.

Thank God for this law.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by jumobi1(m): 4:30pm On Sep 16, 2022
Mirabel11:

Why not? Are women not human?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Abfinest007(m): 4:32pm On Sep 16, 2022
Good move women should partake took
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Buckeyemedia1: 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2022
Mirabel11:
Nonsense slave mentality, even the Nigeria constitution of 1999 As Amended protects those rights.

No customary law can deny an individual of their rights to property, there is even a Supreme Court judgement to that effect obtained a few years ago, the rights of a girl child to inherit property.

4 Likes

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Humbleyou: 4:38pm On Sep 16, 2022
woke the wiked always on point
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Billygee2u: 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2022
I , this time, salute Wicked Wike .
There's no justifying reasons, why they shouldn't have share of their father's properties.

4 Likes

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Kingozymandias(m): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2022
Progress
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Efewestern: 4:42pm On Sep 16, 2022
Romanoff:
We thank God.

I've always wondered what the place of a woman is in the south east and south south.

They can't inherit their father's property and they can't inherit their husband's property cause of the husband's brothers and family, worse if the man dies, na to throw her out remain.

Thank God for this law.

You shouldn't use one state to judge an entire region. In my own side, women have equal opportunity/right as men. Infact, you dare not drag inheritance with an offspring (Male or female).
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by 666Advocate: 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2022
That is not a law in Ijaw land. It is our tradition.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 16, 2022
Wike should kukuma abolish tradition
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by 666Advocate: 4:57pm On Sep 16, 2022
Hizzy:

Tradition in Ijaw land give more properties to woman than man.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by baralatie(m): 4:58pm On Sep 16, 2022
Now that is big
shocked

1 Like

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by baralatie(m): 4:59pm On Sep 16, 2022
666Advocate:

Tradition in Ijaw land give more properties to woman than man.
I think wine was targeting ikwerre and ogoni
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by 666Advocate: 5:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
baralatie:

I think wine was targeting ikwerre and ogoni

They are trying to learn from we the Ijaws.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Kingozymandias(m): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
666Advocate:

They are trying to learn from we the Ijaws.

I think you are being insincere. Generally in all tradition in Nigeria from North to South women are always over looked. Don't tell lies ! There is no custom where they ordinarily allow women inherit the father's property.
At least in the past, it's just now states are waking up and doing the right thing

1 Like

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Romanoff(f): 5:20pm On Sep 16, 2022
Efewestern:

You shouldn't use one state to judge an entire region. In my own side, women have equal opportunity/right as men. Infact, you dare not drag inheritance with an offspring (Male or female).

Well, the people I'm acquainted with have this issue.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Okoroawusa: 5:22pm On Sep 16, 2022
Na by making of law? Sometimes traditions are stronger than law. For instance, there is no law that says that you must pay dowry but you do it all the same.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by SU50: 5:28pm On Sep 16, 2022
Kingozymandias:

I think you are being insincere. Generally in all tradition in Nigeria from North to South women are always over looked. Don't tell lies ! There is no custom where they ordinarily allow women inherit the father's property.
At least in the past, it's just now states are waking up and doing the right thing

Get out of your cocoon and learn.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Kingozymandias(m): 5:34pm On Sep 16, 2022
SU50:

Get out of your cocoon and learn.

I am merely stating my opinion which I expect you to counter with facts.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by yang(m): 5:47pm On Sep 16, 2022
You cannot inherit what you don't own

Legislation over customary law is over reach

Customary Land belongs to the kindred not the nuclear family

I have no clue what he is trying to legislate here as Supreme court has made several pronouncements on this

Making laws de jure which cannot be enforced de facto is a waste of everyone's time
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by chrisxxx(m): 5:52pm On Sep 16, 2022
Some of these practices are there to keep our married daughters at their husbands house. By the time the woman knows her father wealth is still hers a little thing she is back to the fathers house. There is a common saying we tell our daughters about to marry "Once you are married you remain married no turning back'. Though if the parents die with no succeeding son the wealth belongs to the daughters unless they say otherwise. The daughters have the right to decide on who or how they use it.
Though what is encouraged now is for the father to write a will for his children.

1 Like

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by baralatie(m): 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2022
Opposers have landed
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by TheNiceGuy(m): 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2022
You're still living in the past, the stone age era angry
Mirabel11:
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Bulldozer90: 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2022
Was there any LAW prohibiting that, to begin with?
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by TheNiceGuy(m): 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2022
What a barbaric, archaic tradition angry
Hizzy:
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by Jflex07(m): 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
It's not by signing but by enforcement. Ikwerre Man go gree?

1 Like

Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by baralatie(m): 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2022
Jflex07:
It's not by signing but by enforcement. Ikwerre Man go gree?
Na here the real issue dey
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by descarado: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2022
Romanoff:
We thank God.

Thank God for this law.
It is worst in the North. Its also the same in middle belt.
Some south south eg part of akwaibom give females inheritance as far back as from the mum's side. I don't know of south West.
So it's generally a Nigerian thing.
Last governor of Anambra, obiano, put inheritance for female children and widows into law.
Re: Wike Signs Law Allowing Women To Inherit Their Father’s Property by descarado: 6:18pm On Sep 16, 2022
yang:
You cannot inherit what you don't own

Legislation over customary law is over reach

Customary Land belongs to the kindred not the nuclear family

I have no clue what he is trying to legislate here as Supreme court has made several pronouncements on this

Making laws de jure which cannot be enforced de facto is a waste of everyone's time
This law came with a clause. What developed countries or other countries of the world do especially the rich is this.
When you marry, assuming the guy is a nobody, he will marry into the family. The wife overrules.
If they are both wealthy, each of them represents their family wealth unless there is a merger, or the other buys more shares to take control of the other.

So it's subjective

(1) (2) (Reply)

Northern Oil Is A Facade / Result From Obasanjo’s Ward When He Endorsed And Supported PDP - Bashir Ahmad / Breaking: INEC Finally Grants Peter Obi Access To Inspect Election Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.