Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,040 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre (1552 Views)

500-Year-Old Crown Of Scotland Placed On Queen Elizabeth's Coffin (Photos) / Twitter Bans Igbo Uju Anya For Hateful Post On Queen Elizabeth II Death / Uju Anya's Hateful Post On Queen Elizabeth II Death Condemned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by BuhariCarryGo: 11:33am On Sep 17, 2022
South Africans are demanding the world’s largest
known clear-cut diamond on the late Queen Elizabeth’s
sceptre following her death.
The Great Star of Africa or Cullinan l is the largest
known clear-cut diamond in the world which was
mined in South Africa in 1905 and was given to the
British Royal Family as a gift.
It was given to the royal family when South Africa was
under British rule, Metro News reports.

Recall that some Africans expressed contempt when
the Queen died over her alleged role in the
colonisation of the African continent.
This has led to the growing calls in South Africa for
the diamond to be returned as they believe it belongs
to them.
In South Africa, there has been a debate in the media
about who owns the Great Star of Africa as well as
other precious stones that were mined in the country.
One of the views held in the country was that of the
African Transformation Movement (ATM) Member of
Parliament (MP) Vuyo Zungula who holds that South
Africa should cut its Commonwealth ties and have a
new constitution.
“SA should now leave the Commonwealth, demand
reparations for all the harm done by Britain, draft a
new constitution based on the will of the people of SA
not the British Magna Carta, and demand the return of
all the gold, diamonds stolen by Britain” he said, via
timeslive.co.za.
Similarly former African National Congress (ANC)
KwaZulu-Natal provincial secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo
said: “The minerals of our country and other countries
continue to benefit Britain at the expense of our
people.
“We remain in deep, shameful poverty, we remain
with mass unemployment and rising levels of crime
due to the oppression and devastation caused by her
and her forefathers. The Cullinan Diamond must be
returned to SA with immediate effect.”
The report reveals that more than 6,000 people have
signed a petition calling for the Great Star of Africa to
be returned and put in a South African museum.
However, like the majority of African leaders, South
Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa offered his
condolences following the death of the Queen but
many have said instead he should have called for the
diamond to be returned.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/09/south-africans-demand-return-of-worlds-largest-diamond-on-queens-sceptre/
mynd44 oam4j lalasticlala seun semid4lyfe dominique Briareos UjSizzle

3 Likes

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by ManirBK: 11:34am On Sep 17, 2022
The problem is and has always been the African leaders selling their people and possessions in exchange of selfish interest. It is a pity that Africa is still dependent on western countries for survival. Present day politicians are still looting African wealth to the west

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by ManirBK: 11:34am On Sep 17, 2022
How can you give a gift and later turn around to collect it back?
A gift is a gift.....please let the Queen rest in peace. A gift of 1905 nearly fifty years to when she became Queen in 1952? Haba Africans!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2022
Nawao
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by ManirBK: 11:37am On Sep 17, 2022
Tina00writer:
Nawao
A gift is a gift,no one returns a gift.
If I am privilege to be part of this royal family I will sue them

1 Like

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 17, 2022
ManirBK:

Haha may i join you in your decision
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by ManirBK: 11:42am On Sep 17, 2022
Tina00writer:

Haha may i join you in your decision
They shud first demand for their lands that are still owned and controlled by the whites living there,, before they take it internationally

3 Likes

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 17, 2022
ManirBK:
They shud first demand for their lands that are still owned and controlled by the whites living there,, before they take it internationally

Abi,well i get you point
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by festacman(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2022
Nigeria spent so much of her oil boom money on the fight against white apartheid government in South Africa to get freedom for black South Africans. It didn't do it with the intention of exploiting South Africa but a brotherly gesture that should evoke respect and reciprocity from the black South Africans. However, at attaining the freedom and securing political power, the same black South Africans turned against Nigeria with so much disrespect and relegation.

With hindsight, may be it would have been better if Nigeria had exploited them like the Colonial government.

1 Like

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by ManirBK: 11:46am On Sep 17, 2022
Tina00writer:

Abi,well i get you point
Yes sister they want to start what they can’t finish.
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by lordixon(m): 11:50am On Sep 17, 2022
ManirBK:
we all know it was never gifted to Britain. they stole it just as they stole artifacts from Nigeria and countries they colonized. Britain have nothing. it was built with the resources stolen from their colonies

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by ManirBK: 11:52am On Sep 17, 2022
lordixon:

we all know it was never gifted to Britain. they stole it just as they stole artifacts from Nigeria and countries they colonized. Britain have nothing. it was built with the resources stolen from their colonies
From all indications Africa is d root/bedrock of development in Europe and America
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Blessgreat23: 12:02pm On Sep 17, 2022
It about to go down

1 Like

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Horus(m): 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2022
Stolen From Africa

How Europeans took the world’s largest diamond from South Africa in 1906 and made it the British Crown Jewel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by michelz: 12:12pm On Sep 17, 2022
It's only the resident half-educated I-too-know Nigerians that see the late queen as a saint who did no wrong; the same fo*ols who put Nigerians in this mess with their support for Buhari against all sound reasons.
Those ones are irredeemable slaves; in fact, I suspect that right deep within their hearts, they feel that they deserve the worst from the world. And maybe they are right - they just shouldn't rope in other sane Nigerians in their mess.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by HarlequinLekex: 12:14pm On Sep 17, 2022
Why is it that the britons colonized africa and not the other way round
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by kereman1: 12:21pm On Sep 17, 2022
This life is a mystery, no matter how weathy, famous or beautiful u are u must meet death, QE with all her wealth power and might cus not cheat death, the royal family caused suffering and death to others, which themselves will crossover to meet one day.

Seek happiness, but don't hurt others, be empathic in ur life course.
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Techstar: 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2022
The diamonds and artworks they left behind, what have they done with it? Even if the Britons return all the artefacts they took from Africa, your leaders will still re-loot them, so what's the use undecided

3 Likes

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Finquas: 3:48pm On Sep 17, 2022
Africa and Slave mentality. Other races has moved on, we still locked in begging for all sort of things including a diamond on crown of a dead Queen We are an amazing Specie
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by caye(m): 6:27pm On Sep 17, 2022
michelz:
It's only the resident half-educated I-too-know Nigerians that see the late queen as a saint who did no wrong; the same fo*ols who put Nigerians in this mess with their support for Buhari against all sound reasons.
Those ones are irredeemable slaves; in fact, I suspect that right deep within their hearts, they feel that they deserve the worst from the world. And maybe they are right - they just shouldn't rope in other sane Nigerians in their mess.

My fear is that they are found in mass numbers , thanks to their imported religious concepts ( I'm a Christian myself), colonial education of their parents ( 1940s to 1960s), and wannabe Negropean mentality.

1 Like

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Hanibbal(m): 7:16pm On Sep 17, 2022
ManirBK:

It is not a gift. It was stolen from Africa by the British. Do you people actually read books. Even India is calling on the British government to return a diamond like stone that was stolen from India during the British occupation of India. The stone belong to the India's Maharaja and it had magical powers then. It is part of the stone on British queen sceptre.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Hanibbal(m): 7:19pm On Sep 17, 2022
Finquas:
Africa and Slave mentality. Other races has moved on, we still locked in begging for all sort of things including a diamond on crown of a dead Queen We are an amazing Specie

Look at you. But the same Britain brought out an ancient stone last week used in the crowning of new kings. These are the same people that would say Africa had no history or civilization yet they came in and stole our symbols of civilization and took them to their country to adorn royal houses. Why do Africans hate themselves? It's bad. You are the one with slave mentality here. Even some Britons have voiced their solidarity with Africa, India and other places where the British monarchy stole from you are here hating your self because of your ignorance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Finquas: 7:50pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hanibbal:

Look at you. But the same Britain brought out an ancient stone last week used in the crowning of new kings. These are the same people that would say Africa had no history or civilization yet they came in and stole our symbols of civilization and took them to their country to adorn royal houses. Why do Africans hate themselves? It's bad. You are the one with slave mentality here. Even some Britons have voiced their solidarity with Africa, India and other places where the British monarchy stole from you are here hating your self because of your ignorance.
You see u have been so lambasted with an entitlement mentality, reason u have refused to grow up since centuries these guys left your shores. They colonized Asia and the Americas. Why have those ones moved on to become Asian tigers and first world countries in the West . I pity all of you cuz we will remain shithole for a long time to come. Spits
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Hanibbal(m): 8:03pm On Sep 17, 2022
Finquas:

You see u have been so lambasted with an entitlement mentality, reason u have refused to grow up since centuries these guys left your shores. They colonized Asia and the Americas. Why have those ones moved on to become Asian tigers and first world countries in the West . I pity all of you cuz we will remain shithole for a long time to come. Spits

I was expecting this usual narrative. That is how you ignoramus react when cornered.
The fact that we have visionless leaders in Africa doesn't absolve the British crown of its crimes, looting, thievery, pillaging. The question is why does the British crown find it difficult to return all these stolen artifacts that they used to adorn their palaces, crown, scepters and the rest. These are the people that claim Africa had no history and civilization yet you stole their precious artifacts to your country put them in museum to generate money. Adorning your crown and sceptres with what you stole. They are even shameless.

I think they call us uncivilized dirty savages. Then why keep our precious artifacts that points to our past civilization. Why not return what you stole from those dirty uncivilized savage. Even India is demanding it own artifacts that the British stole. Ignorance and slave mentality is your problem. Spits!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Finquas: 8:56pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hanibbal:

I was expecting this usual narrative. That is how you ignoramus react when cornered.
The fact that we have visionless leaders in Africa doesn't absolve the British crown of its crimes, looting, thievery, pillaging. The question is why does the British crown find it difficult to return all these stolen artifacts that they used to adorn their palaces, crown, scepters and the rest. These are the people that claim Africa had no history and civilization yet you stole their precious artifacts to your country put them in museum to generate money. Adorning your crown and sceptres with what you stole. They are even shameless.

I think they call us uncivilized dirty savages. Then why keep our precious artifacts that points to our past civilization. Why not return what you stole from those dirty uncivilized savage. Even India is demanding it own artifacts that the British stole. Ignorance and slave mentality is your problem. Spits!!!!!
I spit again at the center of your head cuz u sound brainless. I ask u one simple question now. The artifacts they stole in your words that they returned to Nigeria ditto the govt and people of Benin. What have they done with it?? Other than play politics,, to the point the oba is now dragging it with Gov obaseki who should have custody of this returned artifacts. So u see why u are pitiably Ignorant and needs help. Don't wake up and be creative. Keep Waiting for stolen diamonds and gold and die a pauper
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Hanibbal(m): 9:05pm On Sep 17, 2022
Finquas:

I spit again at the center of your head cuz u sound brainless. I ask u one simple question now. The artifacts they stole in your words that they returned to the Nigeria ditto the govt and people of Benin. What have they done with it? Other than play politics to the point the oba is now dragging it with the Gov obaseki who should have custody of this returned artifacts. So u see why u are pitiable Ignorant and needs help. Don't wake up and be creative. Wait for stolen diamonds and gold and die a pauper

That's not an issue the point is the British corwn should return all the stolen atrifacts it stole from all its colonies. Artifacts are pointers to your civilization and archeologists would explain why they are valuable. The fact that you don't value your artifacts stolen by the thieving British monarchy shows you are an ignoramus and you are the brainless here not me. Do you think the British monarchy doesn't value the "Stone of Destiny" it used last week. That's part of their history and they brought it out and used it. But you ignoramus finds it hard to comrehend why the thieving British monarchy finds it hard to return all these precious artifacts it stole from its colonies. You have no defense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Finquas: 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hanibbal:

That's not an issue the point is the British corwn should return all the stolen atrifacts it stole from all its colonies. Artifacts are pointers to your civilization and archeologists would explain why they are valuable. The fact that you don't value your artifacts stolen by the thieving British monarchy shows you are an ignoramus and you are the brainless here not me. Do you think the British monarchy doesn't value the "Stone of Destiny" it used last week. That's part of their history and they brought it out and used it. But you ignoramus finds it hard to comrehend why the thieving British monarchy finds it hard to retutn all these precious artifacts. You have no defense.
I will never get tired of spitting tueeh at your folly cause it's beyond imaginations,. I asked you a simple question, rada Dan answer you are jumping around like testicles in scrotum. The British owe you nothing. They colollnized you and made you better than they met you. It's not the crown that made your African leaders fantastically corrupt. It's not Queen Elizabeth,god bless her soul that made buhari refuse to fix the state clinic but rather chose to go to london for medicals, it is not the British government that told Minister of Education and Labour to renege on agreements made with ASUU that has led to 7 months closure of our universities nationwide. stop being a lazy clown and wake up to the reality. Africa is its problem and not the British or its colonizers. Stop spreading folly nationally
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Hanibbal(m): 9:24pm On Sep 17, 2022
Finquas:

I will never get tired of spitting tueeh at your folly cause it's beyond imaginations,. I asked you a simple question, rada Dan answer you are jumping around like testicles in scrotum. The British owe you nothing. They colollnized you and made you better than they met you. It's not the crown that made your African leaders fantastically corrupt. It's not Queen Elizabeth,god bless her soul that made buhari refuse to fix the state clinic but rather chose to go to london for medicals, it is not the British government that told Minister of Education and Labour to renege on agreements made with ASUU that has led to 7 months closure of our universities nationwide. stop being a lazy clown and wake up to the reality. Africa is its problem and not the British or its colonizers. Stop spreading folly nationally

You are the one diverting the discussion we are not talking of useless african leaders here nobody said queen Elizabeth made our leaders brianless. I can see the policy of our visionless leaders really affected your life negatively that is why you keep ranting about Buhari and past leaders. I am talking of why the British monarchy has refused to return those artifacts to Africa, India and other places it stole them from.

Egypt values it artifacts, Britain values its stone of destiny. The Aztecs in Meso America values their snake altars and Africans, Indians too value their stolen artifacts that the British monarchy stole. Stop diverting it to Buhari's failure. It is not artifacts that made Buhari to fail. Look at he discussion so far I have never complained about Buhari you are the one complaining. Anyway I understand your grief your fortune can still change if you vote wisely in next election but all our artifacts must come back home

1 Like

Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Finquas: 9:28pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hanibbal:

You are the one diverting the discussion we are not talking of useless african leaders here nobody said queen Elizabeth made our leaders brianless. I can see the policy of our visionless leaders really affected your life negatively that is why you keep ranting about Buhari and past leaders. I am talking of why the British monarchy has refused to return those artifacts to Africa, India and other places it stole them from.

Egypt values it artifacts, Britain values its stone of destiny. The Aztecs in Meso America values their snake altars and Africans, Indians too value their stolen artifacts that the British monarchy stole. Stop diverting it to Buhari's failure. It is not artifacts that made Buhari to fail. Look at he discussion so far I have never complained about Buhari you are the one complaining. Anyway I understand your grief your fortune can still change if you vote wisely in next election but all our artifacts must come back home
My brainless brother, I ask again. The artifacts they have returned so far, what fortune has it brought for us For example is Edo state now devoloped or free from poverty? Stop evading this question,cause if u answer it objectively,you will keep quiet and reality will set in.
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Hanibbal(m): 9:34pm On Sep 17, 2022
Finquas:

My brainless brother, I ask again. The artifacts they have returned so far, what fortune has it brought for us For example is Edo state now devoloped or free from poverty? Stop evading this question,cause if u answer it objectively,you will keep quiet and reality will set in.

You are the one not getting the point. No body says artifacts brings fortune. Does the stone of destiny that the British monarchy brought out last week during the coronation brings Britain fortune?. Will Britain allow anyone steal that Stone of Destiny?
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Finquas: 9:43pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hanibbal:

You are the one not getting the point. No body says artifacts brings fortune. Does the stone of destiny that the British monarchy brought out last week during the coronation brings Britain fortune?. Will Britain allow anyone steal that Stone of Destiny?
Whoever told u Britains treASURES hasn't been loothed by superior powers in time past? The world is a jungle where the strong and powerful will continue to trample on the weak. Africa should shake off its gory past and begin to be creative and innovative. Thats only Wen nations of the world will begin to respect her. Returning Artifacts and treasures stolen from us isn't our problem or panacea to devolopment . We should rather begin to ask critical questions and finding real time solutions to our myriad of problems. Asia' and America were also loothed by its colonizers, but they have gone past that, today they are competing and knocking shoulders with Europe. Africa and it's people must stop sounding petty and get serious
Re: South Africans Demand Return Of ‘world’s Largest Diamond’ On Queen’s Sceptre by Kirkman: 10:08pm On Sep 17, 2022
grin see these noisemakers o! Shey dem nor know where Buckingham palace dey. Make dem go there to collect their diamond .make King's guards take dem do target practice. A gift cannot be returned back.

(1) (2) (Reply)

World Economy In Photos / Injustice In Sudan/s Sudan Conflict / VP Of Italian Senate To 1st Black Minister - "You remind me of an orangutan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.