Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,043 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? (67233 Views)

Bauchi-Ningi: 28 Family Members Traveling In A Bus Die In A Motor Accident / Groom, Family Members Killed In Fatal Accident On The Way To Wedding. Photos / What Australians Think About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by greencard: 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Intimidated? What verbosity without relevance Lmao! People feel intimidated by the things which they don't have. Learn to stay out of relevant issue, because you have an irrelevant view.
why does it bother you if I said I have a brother in US? Cos I do?

Kini big deal?

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by shortIGBOman: 4:11pm On Sep 18, 2022
Nnannapat:
You are gradually loosing it, I pray that your healing will be timely.

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Kingozymandias(m): 4:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
shortIGBOman:

Stop bullying members on this forum!!

Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala mukina2 rocktation justwise oam4j nlfpmoɗ
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by plaetton: 4:24pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

5. My cousin in South Africa

6. My husband is in the United Arab Emirates

7. My daughter in Italy

8. My brother in Malaysia

9. My nephew in India

10. My brother sister uncle daughter son in Kuwait
Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you.

The answer is quite simple, and I'm surprised that you pretend not to know.

Nigeria is failed state by every definition.
With a teaming population, the of which earn less than $1 a day, and dwindling opportunities for economic advancement , getting out of the country is seen as a break from the bandages of poverty.
And this has been established to be 100% true. Having a family member abroad is a guaranteed escape from poverty. If you consider that Nigerians in the diaspora remit $20b - $30b every year into the Nigerian economy. Im not sure that Nigeria earns that much foreign exchange from the sale of crude oil.
These monies go to take care of their parents , siblings, relatives , build houses, start businesses, etc. Who would not want their son, brother, sister or close relatives to travel abroad and hustle for the poverty stricken families all over Nigeria?
Having a family member abroad naturally a bit of pride , simply because it means that on the poverty scale, you are at least a few steps ahead of your neighbors who do not have any relatives abroad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Edusouls(m): 4:29pm On Sep 18, 2022
Chai Nigerian girls are completely useless shameless and greedy, no iota of self esteem chai anything black is really bleeped up spits
Sweetvie:
Yeah. Africa mindset. They believe abroad is heaven and when you get there money is waiting for you. Like my friend story... He like this girl coz he thought the girl is responsible, open shop by herself and she is hard working... So they started getting a little closer to each other (no relationship yet or intimacy) until one day his brother called him and his phone was with d girl.. she saw it was international call. To cut it short, my friend told her it was his brother that called that he in usa... Do you know this girl copied the number and message my friend bro... Telling that one she like him, that she want to marry him( after chatting for some days) My friend brother then called his brother that the girl is not someone he can marry and show him all there chat.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Exceed15: 4:31pm On Sep 18, 2022
AndroidAI:
When they say 'My brother is in Aba', you wouldn't reason it.

But when they replace Aba with Canada, you start feeling somehow.

My brother, you are the problem, not them.

Change your mindset.

U misunderstood him bro
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by etrouble: 4:32pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Convert Dollars, Pounds Surname Sterling, e.t.c. to Buhari's Naira

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 4:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
etrouble:

Convert Dollars, Pounds Surname Sterling, e.t.c. to Buhari's Naira
Lol!

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by gimakon2(m): 4:41pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ishilove:

Mscheeeew x 2

Mscheeeeeeeeew X 3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by NEUDUDE: 4:41pm On Sep 18, 2022
This is so true. My new neighbor that his boyfriend pass libya to reach italy with only 30k the guy confided in me becos he talks too much. Who knows how dem don Bleep am for nyash before e reach there. God help hes living there now and doing menial jobs to send things home.

The girlfriend pride no be here, imagine cleaner babe go dey pumpous up and dan like say na billions the guy dey make. She no know say we know how e dey go lol grin
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 4:50pm On Sep 18, 2022
NEUDUDE:
This is so true. My new neighbor that his boyfriend pass libya to reach italy with only 30k the guy confided in me becos he talks too much. Who knows how dem don Bleep am for nyash before e reach there. God help hes living there now and doing menial jobs to send things home.

The girlfriend pride no be here, imagine cleaner babe go dey pumpous up and dan like say na billions the guy dey make. She no know say we know how e dey go lol grin

Wow! Was it during the Libyan "gold rush" or the current Libya?
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 4:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
plaetton:

The answer is quite simple, and I'm surprised that you pretend not to know.

Nigeria is failed state by every definition.
With a teaming population, the of which earn less than $1 a day, and dwindling opportunities for economic advancement , getting out of the country is seen as a break from the bandages of poverty.
And this has been established to be 100% true. Having a family member abroad is a guaranteed escape from poverty. If you consider that Nigerians in the diaspora remit $20b - $30b every year into the Nigerian economy. Im not sure that Nigeria earns that much foreign exchange from the sale of crude oil.
These monies go to take care of their parents , siblings, relatives , build houses, start businesses, etc. Who would not want their son, brother, sister or close relatives to travel abroad and hustle for the poverty stricken families all over Nigeria?
Having a family member abroad naturally a bit of pride , simply because it means that on the poverty scale, you are at least a few steps ahead of your neighbors who do not have any relatives abroad.

I get it, many poverty stricken Nigerians boast of having families abroad. But those of us doing fine, won't ever cough because we are not reliant on families abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Sensiblerealist: 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
Rubbish write-up. Some people go just write nonsense and these mods go push am com front page.
It seems this guy is in the circle or mentally backwards peeps. Say person family dey abroad com be achievement. People wey dey Abroad at times dey look for opportunity to com back to Naija.
He siddilon there just generalise from probably a sample of 1 - 5 persons

Ishilove:

Mscheeeew x 2

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Sweetvie: 5:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
Edusouls:
Chai Nigerian girls are completely useless shameless and greedy, no iota of self esteem chai anything black is really bleeped up spits
Lmao... Lower the vawulence Bruh grin
Seriously i wonder how some girls think... They're so brainless sometimes

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by NEUDUDE: 5:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Wow! Was it during the Libyan "gold rush" or the current Libya?

Person wey talk too much, you suppose know say hes no being all truthful. But truth still remains by some luck he got himself a refugee status. He says he got there 2015 though. So its been 7years and this is the first time coming home since he left.

People here tend to think its all rosy there and they are enjoying, not all true. Yes standard of living there is great but it is far from easy. Ill pick living there over here though but hell no im risking my life going there.

Just imagine if the guy died trying to go there, the useless girl for dey another man house lol grin

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by AlphaTaikun: 5:12pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ishilove:

Mscheeeew x 2
Ishi, I reckon this is your new way of giving off mating signals... Huh?! *smirk*
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by plaetton: 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

I get it, many poverty stricken Nigerians boast of having families abroad. But those of us doing fine, won't ever cough because we are not reliant on families abroad.

The far majority of Nigerian population are poor, very poor.
Therefore, when we generally speak about Nigerians, we are definitely NOT talking about the 0.01% who are affluent.

And for your information, the vast majority of Nigerians relocating abroad over the last decade were professionals, middle class and property owners who enjoyed an average standard of life in Nigeria prior to relocating abroad.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by brandsoncharlie: 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2022
somehow:
It's a mindset borne out of years of generational lack, financial and mental poverty.

Anywhere abroad is seen as an achievement.

It's simply a mental thing + the conviction that they are inferior and that anything outside Africa is superior to them.
So why are Nigerians always screaming Japa if you have the means? Or why are people from other part of the world, always finding means or ways to japa like Africans to a better place and their families or themselves are happy about it?
Una no get talk .
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Prince001(m): 5:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

And so? If u feel offended by that na jealousy they kill u oo. 1st having relatives in abroad means nuttin cos its just a place but cos our so called politicians that are heartless deprived us from basic things that's why whenever anyone say that we got offended by it.
It's same thing when someone asked a person what do they do, most Nigerians got offended by it cos the situation of country don't give opportunity to many to say what they do for living!
I only blame the heartless politicians for this! Cos asking what someone do for a living, it's normal thing but not in that Naija sentence, rather what do u do?
The only way out of these kind of madness na for everyone to go their own seperate ways. Yorùbá Nation, Biafra republic no going back!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Ikpongiton: 5:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
shortIGBOman:

God forbid. Come and see how Obi of Onitsha and other first class Kings in the EAST dey bow and prosterate for their Northern masters. Ask your IGBO leaders weting Northerners mean to them. grin
iam not an igbo man, not also a northerner, but I have lived in Kano and also know much about igbo.but an average Igbo man see a northerner as an almajiri . and it is rightly so.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by CrownLands(m): 5:40pm On Sep 18, 2022
You're right! It's a Nigerian thing. Over 60% of Nigerian families go on 'prayer and fasting' just to have a family member abroad.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by legionISproteus: 5:41pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Considering the fact it takes a lot to leave a third world countty like Nigeria, it is in fact a thing of pride.

Compare this with first world nations were the citizens can easily travel out of their country for business or pleasure, they will not see it as a huge deal.

Maybe you should try to leave Nigeria or get close to a family member who is trying to leave if they are not being secretive about it. That could give you another perspective.

BONUS POINT: Some countries make it illegal or damn right difficult using the legal route to leave the country. North Korea is a typical example. The unique thing with this case is that you dare not flaunt the fact your family member has left the country otherwise the ones left in North Korea will be hounded by government agents and punished severely.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by zumbigbo(m): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.

Some half-truths, Europeans always travel for greener pastures. Any white man you see in Nigeria, including the pope, is there to chop wella. Many Portuguese emigrated to Angola en masse following their economic meltdown in 2012. Why is Brazil and Argentina full of Italians, Ukranians and Spanish from over 100 years ago. They stayed and never came back to Europe. Humans always move for brighter days

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by legionISproteus: 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2022
zumbigbo:

Some half-truths, Europeans always travel for greener pastures. Any white man you see in Nigeria, including the pope, is there to chop wella. Many Portuguese emigrated to Angola en masse following their economic meltdown in 2012. Why is Brazil and Argentina full of Italians, Ukranians and Spanish from over 100 years ago. They stayed and never came back to Europe. Humans always move for brighter days
Argentina is riled with former Nazi generals that fled Europe after WWII.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by seguno2: 5:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
Its a southern Nigerian thing. People in the village pride themselves in having relatives in Lagos, port harcourt, asaba, Abuja etc. most Nigerians see whites as superior hence the phenomenon. If you have worked with whites in Nigeria, they get special treatment and privileges. Also many believe having a relative abroad will make it easy for them to also travel which is usually not the case .Naso he be

Quite a sad symptom of colonial mentality of perpetual poverty and slavery for those who won’t do enough to make their own community better

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by seguno2: 5:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
zumbigbo:

What is the percentage for each group

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by DonroxyII: 5:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

You wonder Why Oyinbo gave Our Forefathers Glass, Comb, Guns and Gun Powders in Exchange for Full Fledged Human Being During Slave Trade Era grin ....

E get How Poverty dey do Brain Bro grin

Atleast Anyone wey Japa and dey send Money Home Don Make am due to Exchange rates Differences..

Make 1naira equal 1Pound/Dollar see whether Anyone for Fall for You!
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by lookingfly: 6:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

op ask yourself this question, are these countries not better than the present Nigeria? Are you happy with the present Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by shortIGBOman: 6:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ikpongiton:
iam not an igbo man, not also a northerner, but I have lived in Kano and also know much about igbo.but an average Igbo man see a northerner as an almajiri . and it is rightly so.

You are an IGBO man. As for how Igbo see Northerners, We all know that IGBO People are good at looking down on everybody. That's why they are the most hated tribe in the World.

That's why they are hated in South Africa, Ghana, China, Malysia, India and Afghanistan. We in the North don't hate Igbo, cause we pass them in everything.

Do you know that, it is the North that refused to give Biafra their independence? If the North want to allow Igbo go today, we can do that. But we decided to hold them by their Balls. We refused to give them independence, make them do their worst.

The North will also never allow any IGBO man rule this Country. Quote me anywhere about this. Peter Obi just dey waste his time. We no go allow any IGBO Man rule this our beautiful Country and their is nothing any of them can do about it.

You call the North Almajiri, but your leaders are all over the North, showing loyalty to their Almajiri masters and Ass licking every Almajiri Ass they sight grin
You call us Almajiri, but we decide who rule all your Eastern States as Governors, Senators and House of Reps members. Governor Charles Soludo and Governor Hope Uzodinma are the recent amongst the Governor the North install in the EAST against your wishes. grin

Una go wail tire for this Country. grin

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Ghostman29(m): 6:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
I am a southern Nigerian and have 8 relatives living in the UK, USA and Canada.
I have never and will never brag about it.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Backpedal: 6:20pm On Sep 18, 2022
SeriouslySense:
I think, its due to lack of esteem or value in our environment, our environment most of the time looks like war zones and is not even fit for animals.

The society is just existing, does not improve, and poverty is high, and self education is low, people are not exposed, they may be smart thugs but the society is still poor in how it conducts itself.

So because of the emptiness of the society, its a thing of pride to have someone outside the environment. An environment with very poor education and self esteem.

People are traumatized, confused, and the environment is not inspiring, they struggle, and with so much lack and suffering, people love the idea of something different, outside the norm of suffering.

This is my poor understanding i would like to know more.

You have said it all

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 6:20pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ghostman29:
I am a southern Nigerian and have 8 relatives living in the UK, USA and Canada.
I have never and will never brag about it.

Exactly! Please help me ring it into their ears. Can you believe that some of them here on nairaland accuse me of being jealous. Lol! How can I be jealous when I have families abroad? I don't boast about it, so it annoys me when I see people boasting about it. Especially those who boast of Indonesia, India, Malaysia etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video) / See this Hilarious "Road Bump" Spotted In Nigeria (pics) / Appeal Or Reapply For France Schengen Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.