Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure (1834 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan On A Shopping Spree Abroad...photo / White Witches Back Jonathan To Beat Buhari / Afenifere, Ohanaeze Back Jonathan’s Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:13am On Aug 12, 2011
The Punch

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Niyi Odebode

There were indications on Wednesday that the Peoples Democratic Party governors would support the single term proposed President Goodluck Jonathan.

advertisement

Investigations by our correspondent in Abuja showed that the governors' decision stemmed from the President's assurance that he would not contest the 2015 presidential poll.

The President, it was gathered that, after the PDP's National Executive Committee's meeting on August 4, had made contact with the governors.

Our correspondent learnt that the governors changed their hard stance on the proposed single tenure, after the President explained the motive behind the proposal

Investigations showed that unlike the opposition parties, the PDP governors reasoned that they had no reason to doubt Jonathan, who last year said he would not contest in 2015.

The PDP governors had at a meeting in Abuja on December 7, 2010, endorsed Jonathan for the PDP presidential primaries. The communiqué issued at the end of the meeting, which was attended by the President, stated that he would spend one term.

A governor in the North-West, who pleaded anonymity, said, "We believe that the President has no hidden agenda on the single tenure. Last year, he said he would spend only one term. He is a man of honour, he will not go back on his words."

The governor, who said the proposed single tenure would not be submitted to the National Assembly on September 13, faulted a claim that Jonathan had dropped the single tenure proposal because of the criticism that it had attracted.

"If you are very observant, you will see that most of the criticisms against the single tenure came from the opposition. Although the PDP governors have not been vocal about the proposal, they are not against it," he said.

He also explained that he and his colleagues believed, like Jonathan, that the single tenure would reduce intra and inter-party crises and cost of elections.

Investigations revealed that the governors had not agreed on the numbers of years that would constitute a single term.

It was learnt that some governors were of the view that the president and state governors should be eligible for a single term of seven years.

It was, however, gathered that others thought that the bill could make provision for a single term of seven years for the president and six years for state governors.

Investigations showed the North-Central PDP at its recent meeting in Minna discussed the issue of single term.

Our correspondent gathered that although the zone decided to support the proposed bill, its members were unhappy that the President did not discuss it with the party before making it public.

A source at the meeting stated, "The only reservation we have is that the President did not table the matter before the party before telling journalists."

The Niger State Governor, Dr. Aliyu Babangida, had after the meeting, urged Nigerians to rally round Jonathan on the proposed single tenure for the president and state governors.

He had said, "We support and rally round Mr. President to realise his political and economic transformation of the nation

"Let us have confidence in him as a man of honour and integrity, who has repeatedly told the nation and the world that he would not contest the 2015 election. We believe that Nigerians should hold him to that commitment."

Our correspondent gathered that the President's team was banking on the support of 23 PDP states for the proposed bill to sail through in state houses of assembly. Before any amendment can stand, it must be approved by 24 states.

Opposition parties currently control 13 states with the Action Congress of Nigeria in power in six states of Ogun, Lagos, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Edo states, while the All Nigeria Peoples Party controls Zamfara, Borno and Yobe states.

The All Progress Grand Alliance controls Imo and Anambra states. Also, the Congress for Progress Change governs Nasarawa State, while Labour Party is in charge in Ondo State.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2011
I THINK SINGLE TERM IS PREFERABLE  cool cool
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:54pm On Aug 12, 2011
I find all GEJ constitutional reforms desirable for our country. Forward ever backward never. cool
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Greenpro: 1:01pm On Aug 12, 2011
it will save impunity and mismanagement of public fund for campaign.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by lafuria1(m): 1:58pm On Aug 12, 2011
it will reduce rapid deplation of our foriegn reserve durin election every 4yrs. Hopefuly 6yrs
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by lafuria1(m): 2:04pm On Aug 12, 2011
cirusly six yrs is a good idea but shld only be 4 d presidency. I dont trust those governors at all wt single six year term o. Massive lootin wt no explanation
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Delafruita(m): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2011
Democracy is all about the will of the people.it is my opinion that a single term of 6 or 7years will be detrimental to our democracy.it will serve to make our politicians more desperate with the knowledge that they will serve just one prolonged term.furthermore it take away the power of the people to reject a leader who has failed from getting another term.
If GEJ says he wont contest,thats his personal decision and that doesnt stop the state governors from contesting even those who have been reelected for another term.so i can understand why they will decide to supprt his idea because it is beneficial to them.PDP is just a party of retarded old cargoes who have nothing to offer except "fresh air".

I dey laff o
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Delafruita(m): 4:06pm On Aug 12, 2011
Democracy is all about the will of the people.it is my opinion that a single term of 6 or 7years will be detrimental to our democracy.it will serve to make our politicians more desperate with the knowledge that they will serve just one prolonged term.furthermore it take away the power of the people to reject a leader who has failed from getting another term.
If GEJ says he wont contest,thats his personal decision and that doesnt stop the state governors from contesting even those who have been reelected for another term.so i can understand why they will decide to supprt his idea because it is beneficial to them.PDP is just a party of retarded old cargoes who have nothing to offer except "fresh air".

I dey laff o
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by runsgirl: 6:22pm On Aug 12, 2011
Totally misplaced priority
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by osifred(m): 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2011
Delafruita:

If GEJ says he wont contest,thats his personal decision and that doesnt stop the state governors from contesting even those who have been reelected for another term.so i can understand why they will decide to supprt his idea because it is beneficial to them.PDP is just a party of slow old cargoes who have nothing to offer except "fresh air".

I dey laff o
il

gentleman i doubt if u r really familiar with the political structure of Nigeria cos wht we hav on ground is technically 8yrs tenure system. for once am 100% in support of this bill provided certain clauses such as the no immunity clause for serving governor or president, a workable system to impeach any non performing governor etc are put in place
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by freshng: 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2011
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by EvilBrain1(m): 11:21pm On Aug 12, 2011
osifred:

il

gentleman i doubt if u r really familiar with the political structure of Nigeria cos wht we hav on ground is technically 8yrs tenure system. for once am 100% in support of this bill provided certain clauses such as the no immunity clause for serving governor or president, a workable system to impeach any non performing governor etc are put in place

Rubbish, we already have a workable system to remove non-performing governors, etc. Its called elections after 4 years. With this new system, we'd have to suffer under the Alao-Akalas and Yar'Aduas for six years with no hope of getting rid of them. If you think any impeachment system no matter how "workable" could ever remove a sitting Nigerian president, then you, my friend, must be reetarded.

The only reason the PDP governors are supporting this is because the greedy scumfucks want to have their own tenures elongated. The only reason why most governors bother with the pretense of working for their people is because they all want to get reelected. With this new system the PDP just has to rig once and then they can settle down to their main business of stealing our money.

It bothers me that GEJ is looking for ways to make politicians even less accountable to the people than they already are.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 9:51am On Aug 13, 2011
@ Evil Brain, hard line but spot on.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 13, 2011
5 years single term is ok for me.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Aug 13, 2011
Greenpro:

it will save impunity and mismanagement of public fund for campaign.

Care to explain the HOW of your assessment? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Kobojunkie: 6:15pm On Aug 13, 2011
la furia:

it will reduce rapid deplation of our foriegn reserve durin election every 4yrs. Hopefuly 6yrs
la furia:

cirusly six yrs is a good idea but shld only be 4 d presidency. I dont trust those governors at all wt single six year term o. Massive lootin wt no explanation

I am assuming, from the above, that you have gotten this to make sense to you. So I will proceed to ask you HOW you came about this move reducing rapid deplation and what nots. Please explain the how to those of us who do not see this.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by udbyron1(m): 8:27pm On Aug 13, 2011
God knows better
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by Gbenge77(m): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2011
Whither Nigeria.
Re: Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure by awuf2008: 2:24pm On Aug 15, 2011
I know the Pdp Govs will support it Why? because they will be a benefactor too.

(1) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Is Winning African Cup When His Mates Are Winning World Cup / Political Unity In Yoruba Land-by Pa Adio 'mosanya / Undergraduate Nurses Cryout For Implementation Of Their Internship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.