Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,581 members, 7,812,899 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

My Experience Using An AMD Based System - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Experience Using An AMD Based System (1941 Views)

Optimizing Equity Allocation In Startups: Tips For Using An Equity Calculator / How To Login Onto Your Computer Remotely Using An Android Phone / Experience Using Tstv "Users Comments" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 6:09pm On Sep 19, 2022
Got myself a HP 255 G8, it's a small laptop wanted to be using it for programming smiley it came with an AMD chip. I have never used AMD before so I was a bit sceptical.

First off all the laptop Battery last a lot longer compared to my other system I have been using, I can use this laptop for like 6hrs plus and the battery would get to like 20% from 100%. I have to shut it down when it gets to 20% so I don't wear the battery for future problems.

The second and most important is that this Laptop hardly gets Hot, I don't know if it's because it's AMD but all the intel Based laptop I have used gets hot like say tomorrow no day but this Laptop 5hrs plus of using it and I touch the bottom of the laptop and it was just a little bit warm if it was Intel it'll be burning by now. grin

I might be biased though but this are just what I have experienced. Other AMD laptop might not be like this but I have never gotten lucky like this with an Intel based laptop.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by RepoMan007: 6:41pm On Sep 19, 2022
Good observations. The specification and cost will be good to know.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Starkbigdreams(m): 7:00pm On Sep 19, 2022
RepoMan007:

Definitely
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 7:14pm On Sep 19, 2022
RepoMan007:
I got it 150k

For spec ⬇️

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Unbiased1: 8:13pm On Sep 19, 2022
Deicide:
Got myself a HP 255 G8, it's a small laptop wanted to be using it for programming smiley it came with an AMD chip. I have never used AMD before so I was a bit sceptical.

First off all the laptop Battery last a lot longer compared to my other system I have been using, I can use this laptop for like 6hrs plus and the battery would get to like 20% from 100%. I have to shut it down when it gets to 20% so I don't wear the battery for future problems.

The second and most important is that this Laptop hardly gets Hot, I don't know if it's because it's AMD but all the intel Based laptop I have used gets hot like say tomorrow no day but this Laptop 5hrs plus of using it and I touch the bottom of the laptop and it was just a little bit warm if it was Intel it'll be burning by now. grin

I might be biased though but this are just what I have experienced. Other AMD laptop might not be like this but I have never gotten lucky like this with an Intel based laptop.

This is expected because AMD has actually left Intel behind in the race to build efficient processors. AMD used to be a really bad company and purchasing any PC that used AMD's processors was bad news but now, AMD has greatly improved. Their processors are of better architecture (less than 7nm for their newer processors) which has lower power consumption and hence, generates less heat while still giving peak performance. Their integrated GPU is also better than the nonsense in Intel's processors.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 8:54pm On Sep 19, 2022
Unbiased1:

This is expected because AMD has actually left Intel behind in the race to build efficient processors. AMD used to be a really bad company and purchasing any PC that used AMD's processors was bad news but now, AMD has greatly improved. Their processors are of better architecture (less than 7nm for their newer processors) which has lower power consumption and hence, generates less heat while still giving peak performance. Their integrated GPU is also better than the nonsense in Intel's processors.
I had always thought it was HP making bad system didn't know the problem was from Intel. This impression AMD left on me is a good one. And just like that I have switched sides grin
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by fastanddubious(m): 9:30pm On Sep 19, 2022
It doesn't run as hot as Intel because AMD systems drop performance significantly when running on battery power

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by qtguru(m): 11:36pm On Sep 19, 2022
Anytime I see someone on Arch Linux, I just respect. lol I like to sleep well these days.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by airsaylongcome: 11:42pm On Sep 19, 2022
qtguru:
Anytime I see someone on Arch Linux, I just respect. lol I like to sleep well these days.

Omo! I see Arch Linux and I was like this person is hard core o. Not Ubuntu, Not Debian or even Fedora. Arch Linux! Omooooooooo x1000
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 20, 2022
Deicide:

A 3rd gen Ryzen CPU and bare bone linux, the lack of heat is expected. Ryzen CPUs are very power efficient

My next PC is definitely going to be one of the new Zen 4 Ryzen CPU
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 20, 2022
What's so special about this arch linux

I might just install it on my PC and check it out

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 2:56am On Sep 20, 2022
fastanddubious:
It doesn't run as hot as Intel because AMD systems drop performance significantly when running on battery power
I have not noticed any performance drop. I bet maybe if I was using Windows I'll notice it being that it's just 4GB of Ram. Am planning to upgrade soon sha.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 3:01am On Sep 20, 2022
DrLevi:

A 3rd gen Ryzen CPU and bare bone linux, the lack of heat is expected. Ryzen CPUs are very power efficient

My next PC is definitely going to be one of the new Zen 4 Ryzen CPU
My next system would probably be ThinkPad T14. I heard they have the ones that comes with AMD chip.
DrLevi:

Nothing is special o it's just like any other Linux distro only you get to choose what you want on your system.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by BlaqFaze: 7:17am On Sep 20, 2022
Deicide:
I had always thought it was HP making bad system didn't know the problem was from Intel. This impression AMD left on me is a good one. And just like that I have switched sides grin
AMD shits on intel when it comes to producing an all-round processor.

Inter just shoot up the power in other to get more performance while AMD balances power with battery life (an AMD laptop with a smaller battery capacity will last longer than an Intel laptop with a larger battery capacity), cooling, efficiency.

A Laptop with an AMD chip and an AMD gpu is even more impressive
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 20, 2022
AMD has improved drastically since they released the Ryzens.

On price to performance ratio, they smoke most intels and have decent thermals to back up.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 5:30am On Sep 21, 2022
Deicide:
I have not noticed any performance drop. I bet maybe if I was using Windows I'll notice it being that it's just 4GB of Ram. Am planning to upgrade soon sha.

If that Laptop has no dedicated GPU,then you have been cheated of your money.
How can one buy a 4Gb Ram Laptop with 150k?
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by BlaqFaze: 6:24am On Sep 21, 2022
odinson1:

If that Laptop has no dedicated GPU,then you have been cheated of your money.
How can one buy a 4Gb Ram Laptop with 150k?
Ryzen 3 3rd gen is comparable to intel i3 10th gen... it's even a steal
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 6:28am On Sep 21, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Ryzen 3 3rd gen is comparable to intel i3 10th gen... it's even a steal

Does the laptop have a graphics card?
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by BlaqFaze: 6:35am On Sep 21, 2022
odinson1:

Does the laptop have a graphics card?
A laptop with a graphics card should cost at least 250k...unless you're going for an old hag
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2022
BlaqFaze:
A laptop with a graphics card should cost at least 250k...unless you're going for an old hag

Old hag grin
I bought mine at 140k
Hp elitebook with 8gb of Ram,Intel i7 2nd gen processor and 1gb dedicated Amd graphics
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 12:07am On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

Old hag grin
I bought mine at 140k
Hp elitebook with 8gb of Ram,Intel i7 2nd gen processor and 1gb dedicated Amd graphics
Laptops are now Expensive.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Kvngfrosh(m): 2:08am On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

Old hag grin
I bought mine at 140k
2nd generation ? Lol.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by BlaqFaze: 7:06am On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

Old hag grin
I bought mine at 140k
you see...intel 2nd was produced in 2011.

Do you know that the integrated graphics of Ryzen chips are better than some budget Nvidia dedicated graphics card.

Read up on Google
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by BlaqFaze: 7:07am On Sep 22, 2022
Kvngfrosh:
2nd generation ? Lol.
You see am grin 2nd gen shouldn't cost 80k
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 11:11am On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

Old hag grin
I bought mine at 140k

Oga that's an old laptop na. No offense, yours is actually the old hag here, and you were even cheated. That laptop shouldn't be more than 110k. Yours is an elitebook 8570p, which was probably upgraded before it was sold to you. I mean it originally comes with a core i5 3rd generation and 4gb ram, but can be further upgraded to a core i7 2nd generation & 16gb ram.

The 1gb dedicated graphics card which you speak highly of is just the old 7000 series, a 7570m which AMD stopped software support way back 2012- 2015. I can unequivocally state that it can't match the Vega series integrated graphics. You see those new integrated Vega graphics for AMD, irrespective of the fact that they are not dedicated, they'd give your elitebook a run for it's money performance wise.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 11:17am On Sep 22, 2022
Deicide:

I got it 150k

For spec ⬇️
You use Arch. grin be like say you never break system yet.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 11:21am On Sep 22, 2022
DrLevi:

grin come on go and install Mint. Last month the GRUB update caused a booting issue for many people. I never update since I read that thing. What's even worse is that the latest Linux kernel is available on Arch and many people are keeping their fingers crossed that shit won't break down to pieces.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 11:24am On Sep 22, 2022
Deicide:
My next system would probably be ThinkPad T14. I heard they have the ones that comes with AMD chip.

[b[Nothing is special o it's just like any other Linux distro only you get to choose what you want on your system.[/b]
Not really true. All Linux systems are highly customisable, but Arch is a rolling release distro. This means that you'll always get the latest release of all software on your system (even with the security vulnerabilities and bugsgrin) I'm dumping that shit when I get a new system and going for Mint. Ubuntu is the worst distro I've ever used.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by dirtydaya(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2022
My ThinkPad runs a Ryzen pro 5 , over a year old with no issues with Fedora.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 3:02pm On Sep 22, 2022
majesticguy:

Oga that's an old laptop na. No offense, yours is actually the old hag here, and you were even cheated. That laptop shouldn't be more than 110k. Yours is an elitebook 8570p, which was probably upgraded before it was sold to you. I mean it originally comes with a core i5 3rd generation and 4gb ram, but can be further upgraded to a core i7 2nd generation & 16gb ram.

The 1gb dedicated graphics card which you speak highly of is just the old 7000 series, a 7570m which AMD stopped software support way back 2012- 2015. I can unequivocally state that it can't match the Vega series integrated graphics. You see those new integrated Vega graphics for AMD, irrespective of the fact that they are not dedicated, they'd give your elitebook a run for it's money performance wise.

Oga check me and the guy's interaction,i was laughing at the fact that he called mine an old hag,and i actually agreed with him.
The ones i was looking for with 2gb dedicated Graphics and 5th generation up were above 200 so I had no other choice but to settle for the Old hag.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 3:39pm On Sep 22, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

Not really true. All Linux systems are highly customisable, but Arch is a rolling release distro. This means that you'll always get the latest release of all software on your system (even with the security vulnerabilities and bugsgrin)
but this doesn't make it special

I'm dumping that shit when I get a new system and going for Mint. Ubuntu is the worst distro I've ever used.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 3:42pm On Sep 22, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

You use Arch. grin Be like say you never break system yet.
I have been using it for like 3 years now, and I haven't broken anything yet. And besides if I have any problem there is always google to fix it for me grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Upwork Vs Fiverr Which One Is Better? / Help Needed In Php Programming Language / Looking For A C# MVC Developer With Experience In Developing An Accounting App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.