Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

My Experience Using An AMD Based System - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Experience Using An AMD Based System (1942 Views)

Optimizing Equity Allocation In Startups: Tips For Using An Equity Calculator / How To Login Onto Your Computer Remotely Using An Android Phone / Experience Using Tstv "Users Comments" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2022
Deicide:

but this doesn't make it special
It does. Debian based distros (Ubuntu for example) are fixed point release distros which means it's only the latest stable versions of software you'll get. On the other hand rolling release doesn't care about stability, you get the latest as is. For example, there was a recent bug in GRUB, the only people who suffered this bug where the user's of rolling release distros like Manjaro and Arch.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Deicide: 3:52pm On Sep 22, 2022
Ubuntu also has it's rolling release. But the common ones are the LTS version. That's why am find it hard to understand why that is special.
LienwaltAbel:

It does. Debian based distros (Ubuntu for example) are fixed point release distros which means it's only the latest stable versions of software you'll get. On the other hand rolling release doesn't care about stability, you get the latest as is. For example, there was a recent bug in GRUB, the only people who suffered this bug where the user's of rolling release distros like Manjaro and Arch.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 3:54pm On Sep 22, 2022
Deicide:
Ubuntu also has it's rolling release. But the common ones are the LTS version. That's why am find it hard to understand why that is special.
That's if you choose to download from the unstable repos lipsrsealed
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 5:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

Oga check me and the guy's interaction,i was laughing at the fact that he called mine an old hag,and i actually agreed with him.
The ones i was looking for with 2gb dedicated Graphics and 5th generation up were above 200 so I had no other choice but to settle for the Old hag.
My bad, sorry for the misinterpretation. How's your laptop, hope it's serving you well so far.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by silento(m): 7:06pm On Sep 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Omo! I see Arch Linux and I was like this person is hard core o. Not Ubuntu, Not Debian or even Fedora. Arch Linux! Omooooooooo x1000

Una don carry this una stupid compare game enter linux , abi
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by silento(m): 7:10pm On Sep 22, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

Not really true. All Linux systems are highly customisable, but Arch is a rolling release distro. This means that you'll always get the latest release of all software on your system (even with the security vulnerabilities and bugsgrin) I'm dumping that shit when I get a new system and going for Mint. Ubuntu is the worst distro I've ever used.

Ashawo linux
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 7:15pm On Sep 22, 2022
silento:

Ashawo linux
Bro leave me abeg grin. I can't be loyal till I've found the best.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by airsaylongcome: 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2022
silento:

Una don carry this una stupid compare game enter linux , abi

Who be the "una"? You well? Who dey compare here? I say person they use a tough Linux distro and I dey respect the person you dey bring your gutter mouth come shade who? Swerve ph00l

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 8:13pm On Sep 22, 2022
majesticguy:

My bad, sorry for the misinterpretation. How's your laptop, hope it's serving you well so far.

My battery doesn't go past 3 hours on full usage,it sucks!
But at least the Ram gives me a smooth experience.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 9:18pm On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

My battery doesn't go past 3 hours on full usage,it sucks!
But at least the Ram gives me a smooth experience.

Lolz.. You are lucky your battery lasts for at least 3 hours. Mine doesn't go past 1hour 30mins. I think yours came with the original battery, just that it's has worn off over the years. Mine was probably a replacement battery.

And yeah, 8gb ram gives a smooth performance even when gaming on the system. Although I stopped gaming on the system a long time ago, because I had better use of it asides gaming. But if must play games on the system, get an external fan. It's very important, else you want to be changing processor every 3 months.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Edipet(m): 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2022
odinson1:

Old hag grin
I bought mine at 140k
Hp elitebook with 8gb of Ram,Intel i7 2nd gen processor and 1gb dedicated Amd graphics
does it Worth 130k...and would it be okay for web development using visual studio code?

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Edipet(m): 10:02pm On Sep 22, 2022
majesticguy:

Oga that's an old laptop na. No offense, yours is actually the old hag here, and you were even cheated. That laptop shouldn't be more than 110k. Yours is an elitebook 8570p, which was probably upgraded before it was sold to you. I mean it originally comes with a core i5 3rd generation and 4gb ram, but can be further upgraded to a core i7 2nd generation & 16gb ram.

The 1gb dedicated graphics card which you speak highly of is just the old 7000 series, a 7570m which AMD stopped software support way back 2012- 2015. I can unequivocally state that it can't match the Vega series integrated graphics. You see those new integrated Vega graphics for AMD, irrespective of the fact that they are not dedicated, they'd give your elitebook a run for it's money performance wise.
how do you know Upgraded system,.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 8:32am On Sep 23, 2022
Edipet:
how do you know Upgraded system,.

An upgraded system usually have components which are not originally in the system.

To tell if a system is upgraded, Google the specs of the system on their offical website. There, you'd see the default or original components of the system, and then you can compare what you have on the official site to what you saw elsewhere, any difference or discrepancies which is not on the official site but elsewhere could be either an upgrade or a downgrade.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Edipet(m): 9:30am On Sep 23, 2022
majesticguy:

An upgraded system usually have components which are not originally in the system.

To tell if a system is upgraded, Google the specs of the system on their offical website. There, you'd see the default or original components of the system, and then you can compare what you have on the official site to what you saw elsewhere, any difference or discrepancies which is not on the official site but elsewhere could be either an upgrade or a downgrade.
please check this dell latitude e5470 for me

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 11:52am On Sep 23, 2022
Edipet:
please check this dell latitude e5470 for me

It's not upgraded, that's the original spec . It's a good system though. Intel hd 520, core i5 6th gen, 8gb ram, expandable to 16gb ram and direct x 12, battery at least 5hours.

I am guessing the price should be at least from 170k above?

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 12:11pm On Sep 23, 2022
Edipet:
does it Worth 130k...and would it be okay for web development using visual studio code?

Does it have a dedicated graphics card?
4GB ram will not be enough,ask them to increase it to 8
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 12:13pm On Sep 23, 2022
majesticguy:

Lolz.. You are lucky your battery lasts for at least 3 hours. Mine doesn't go past 1hour 30mins. I think yours came with the original battery, just that it's has worn off over the years. Mine was probably a replacement battery.

And yeah, 8gb ram gives a smooth performance even when gaming on the system. Although I stopped gaming on the system a long time ago, because I had better use of it asides gaming. But if must play games on the system, get an external fan. It's very important, else you want to be changing processor every 3 months.

My laptop has a fan that blows out enough it though. Bro just buy a new battery abeg grin
How long will a new battery last though?
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 12:30pm On Sep 23, 2022
odinson1:

My laptop has a fan that blows out enough it though. Bro just buy a new battery abeg grin
How long will a new battery last though?

I know your laptop has a fan that blows out the heat, but trust me, if you'd be gaming on the system it wouldn't be enough.

Just get an external fan to compliment your internal fan, else you want to replace your processor every 3 months. No let wetin do me do you ooo. External fan shouldn't be more than 2k, but a fairly used core i7 processor ( because it's quite impossible getting a new one, else you're buying abroad) is at least 7k, so do the maths.

New original battery 16k. It should last for at least 4 hours plus. But my reasons for not getting a new one is because I don't trust my vendor to give me what I want, and secondly, we do have steady light here, at least 20 hours a day.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by odinson1(m): 1:57pm On Sep 23, 2022
majesticguy:

I know your laptop has a fan that blows out the heat, but trust me, if you'd be gaming on the system it wouldn't be enough.

Just get an external fan to compliment your internal fan, else you want to replace your processor every 3 months. No let wetin do me do you ooo. External fan shouldn't be more than 2k, but a fairly used core i7 processor ( because it's quite impossible getting a new one, else you're buying abroad) is at least 7k, so do the maths.

New original battery 16k. It should last for at least 4 hours plus. But my reasons for not getting a new one is because I don't trust my vendor to give me what I want, and secondly, we do have steady light here, at least 20 hours a day.

By external fan you mean just normal rechargeable fan right? Like not specifically for laptops abi

20 hrs a day omo you dey enjoy o. So changing my processor to a better one is possible?
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Edipet(m): 2:20pm On Sep 23, 2022
majesticguy:

It's not upgraded, that's the original spec . It's a good system though. Intel hd 520, core i5 6th gen, 8gb ram, expandable to 16gb ram and direct x 12, battery at least 5hours.

I am guessing the price should be at least from 170k above?
no...it 130k
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 2:34pm On Sep 23, 2022
odinson1:

By external fan you mean just normal rechargeable fan right? Like not specifically for laptops abi

20 hrs a day omo you dey enjoy o. So changing my processor to a better one is possible?

No. There's a fan specifically made for laptops. The laptop is usually placed on top of it, and it is powered by the laptop. Just connect the USB cable of the fan to the laptop, and that's it. But if you don't intend gaming on it or doing graphics related stuffs on it, then you have no need for the fan.

For changing the processor, core i7 second generation is the highest your laptop can go, you can upgrade past that. You can only downgrade it to either core i5, i3, Intel Pentium etc.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by majesticguy: 2:36pm On Sep 23, 2022
Edipet:
no...it 130k

WOW! It's actually a good buy. Just make sure it's Intel hd 520, the battery lasts and the HDD is at least 320gb.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LienwaltAbel(m): 3:29pm On Sep 23, 2022
majesticguy:

And disgustingly expensive. Most especially Intel.
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Edipet(m): 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2022
majesticguy:

WOW! It's actually a good buy. Just make sure it's Intel hd 520, the battery lasts and the HDD is at least 320gb.
while I was checking the laptop, 5% of the battery drop i 5min, I off and keep for few minutes, when I on it again 7% was gone without doing anything,. That was why I was discouraged
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by LUAN1: 5:17pm On Oct 06, 2022
Deicide:
Got myself a HP 255 G8, it's a small laptop wanted to be using it for programming smiley it came with an AMD chip. I have never used AMD before so I was a bit sceptical.

First off all the laptop Battery last a lot longer compared to my other system I have been using, I can use this laptop for like 6hrs plus and the battery would get to like 20% from 100%. I have to shut it down when it gets to 20% so I don't wear the battery for future problems.

The second and most important is that this Laptop hardly gets Hot, I don't know if it's because it's AMD but all the intel Based laptop I have used gets hot like say tomorrow no day but this Laptop 5hrs plus of using it and I touch the bottom of the laptop and it was just a little bit warm if it was Intel it'll be burning by now. grin

I might be biased though but this are just what I have experienced. Other AMD laptop might not be like this but I have never gotten lucky like this with an Intel based laptop.
please where did you buy it,. Can I get a strong one too
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by gabemuyi: 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2022
majesticguy:

Oga that's an old laptop na. No offense, yours is actually the old hag here, and you were even cheated. That laptop shouldn't be more than 110k. Yours is an elitebook 8570p, which was probably upgraded before it was sold to you. I mean it originally comes with a core i5 3rd generation and 4gb ram, but can be further upgraded to a core i7 2nd generation & 16gb ram.

The 1gb dedicated graphics card which you speak highly of is just the old 7000 series, a 7570m which AMD stopped software support way back 2012- 2015. I can unequivocally state that it can't match the Vega series integrated graphics. You see those new integrated Vega graphics for AMD, irrespective of the fact that they are not dedicated, they'd give your elitebook a run for it's money performance wise.

Pls compare products of same generation
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by Necrophagia: 1:13pm On Jan 06
Re: My Experience Using An AMD Based System by silento(m): 4:53pm On Jan 06
airsaylongcome:

Omo! I see Arch Linux and I was like this person is hard core o. Not Ubuntu, Not Debian or even Fedora. Arch Linux! Omooooooooo x1000

Use what best works for you ,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For One Or Two People - C# & Javascript - ASP.NET Core Framework / Which Programming Languages Do I Learn? / Ole! Catch The Thief! (destination: UNILAG)... Early Stages Of Development Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.