Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,921 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? (1795 Views)

Should Nigeria Be De-amalgamated? / In Event Of World War 3, Would Nigeria Be A Safe Country To Reside? / Mimiko Is Much Better Than Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 5:54am On Aug 19, 2007
I was just glancing through some pages on the net, and i came across this word, Nigeria was a much better place without oil, i want to know from fellow nairalanders if you support or reject this statement with reasons why you are support or not in support of the statement.
Please candid view and opinion needed in this case. undecided
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by MP007(m): 6:42am On Aug 19, 2007
without oil, better place? even with oil , the best no better, without oil, ma guy , that na correct niger republic,
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 10:10am On Aug 19, 2007
I don't think so.  It is more about the type of people or mindset we have as nigerians than what resources we have.  The inablity to manage ourselves well.  Too many things divding us and keeping us unfocussed.  Prone to self-destruction. Too much fighting and lack of tolerance and love for one another!

does not matter what we have---it is whom we are that matters!
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 2:09am On Aug 20, 2007
but the whole problem with Nigeria has evenly been on Oil, so what do you think, if oil wasn't found in olobiri (first oil ring), Do you think the politicians gesturing to get into power by all means would be doing so?
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 8:55am On Aug 20, 2007
honeric01:

but the[b] whole problem with Nigeria has evenly been on Oil,[/b] so what do you think, if oil wasn't found in olobiri (first oil ring), Do you think the politicians gesturing to get into power by all means would be doing so?

I say look again.  I think you are heading south of the border with your thoughts.  Saudi Arabia and Emirates also discovered oil once upon a time too.  Other countries do not have a tenth of what you say we have and have still managed to move up the food chain.  So think again my friend.  It is the curse of the skin color me thinks.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 20, 2007
BABEELOVE:

I say look again. I think you are heading south of the border with your thoughts. Saudi Arabia and Emirates also dicovered oil once upon a time too. Other countries do not have a tenth of what you say we have and have still managed to move up the food chain. So think again my friend. It is the curse of the skin color me thinks.

Quite a lot can be said, either for or against the skin colour, depending on which end of the Negritude (Senghor) spectrum you occupy in your ideology. I agree with you @BABEELOVE. Oil is never the main issue.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 2:11am On Aug 21, 2007
@ I say look again. I think you are heading south of the border with your thoughts. Saudi Arabia and Emirates also dicovered oil once upon a time too. Other countries do not have a tenth of what you say we have and have still managed to move up the food chain. So think again my friend. It is the curse of the skin color me thinks.

If you conclude by saying it's the skin color, then i don' agree with you because there are other African countries with same skin color doing better and living peacefully than we do without even having a cup of oil.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 3:13am On Aug 21, 2007
BABEELOVE:

I don't think so. It is more about the type of people or mindset we have as nigerians than what resources we have. The inablity to manage ourselves well. Too many things divding us and keeping us unfocussed. Prone to self-destruction. Too much fighting and lack of tolerance and love for one another!

does not matter what we have---it is whom we are that matters!

this is pure nonsense! Nigeria was one of the fastest growing economies in the world in 1963 (faster than Japan, China and Malaysia) when oil exploration was still in its infancy. Where we not divided then? What kind of magical mindset did we suddenly develop that has kept us back? Was the west not burning in the same 1963? And yet we were able to build world class facilities like the University college Hospital, Ibadan!
When dumb people contribute to topics they know nothing about they end up shooting themselves in the foot.

BABEELOVE:

I say look again. I think you are heading south of the border with your thoughts. Saudi Arabia and Emirates also dicovered oil once upon a time too. Other countries do not have a tenth of what you say we have and have still managed to move up the food chain. So think again my friend. It is the curse of the skin color me thinks.

Perhaps it is your own skin that is cursed. Botswana is not ruled by white people, it has a GDP of $11,400.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 3:23am On Aug 21, 2007
i wonder o! color, i was wondering why color should be the problem of our development and backward attitude when others with the same color still make it and progress
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 3:46am On Aug 21, 2007
PTH:

this is pure nonsense! Nigeria was one of the fastest growing economies in the world in 1963 (faster than Japan, China and Malaysia) when oil exploration was still in its infancy. Where we not divided then? What kind of magical mindset did we suddenly develop that has kept us back? Was the west not burning in the same 1963? And yet we were able to build world class facilities like the University college Hospital, Ibadan!
When dumb people contribute to topics they know nothing about they end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Perhaps it is your own skin that is cursed. Botswana is not ruled by white people, it has a GDP of $11,400.

Hmmmmm!  That was a figure of speech!  You are never tired of making trouble.  Carry go!  All my love!  I think you need to move down to the south for some warmth! Up state is not doing you much good!

honeric01:

i wonder o! color, i was wondering why color should be the problem of our development and backward attitude when others with the same color still make it and progress

honeric01:

@ I say look again. I think you are heading south of the border with your thoughts. Saudi Arabia and Emirates also dicovered oil once upon a time too. Other countries do not have a tenth of what you say we have and have still managed to move up the food chain. So think again my friend. It is the curse of the skin color me thinks.

If you conclude by saying it's the skin color, then i don' agree with you because there are other African countries with same skin color doing better and living peacefully than we do without even having a cup of oil.

@ honeric01
Fine!
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 4:05am On Aug 21, 2007
@Bebeelove

fine?
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 4:15am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

@Bebeelove

fine?

what were you expecting from an airhead? A carefully constructed answer?
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 4:19am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

@Bebeelove

fine?

wetin you want make I talk now? undecided  I have said my piece, so no need to disagree with you any further! Or so you want your thread to be deleted tongue

PTH:

what were you expecting from an airhead? A carefully constructed answer?

There you go!

No weapon fashioned against me shall prosper! Including you Davidylan! No body to fight this night? Please try and get a girlfriend ok? I think your problem can be cured in I minute! grin
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 4:27am On Aug 21, 2007
BABEELOVE:

There you go!

No weapon fashioned against me shall prosper! Including you Davidylan! No body to fight this night? Please try and get a girlfriend ok? I think your problem can be cured in I minute! grin

grin grin grin grin what a ridiculous waste of space!
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 4:28am On Aug 21, 2007
BABEELOVE:

wetin you want make I talk now? undecided I have said my piece, so no need to disagree with you any further! Or so you want your thread to be deleted tongue
deleted by who?

There you go!

got it
your signature is very funny lol
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 4:35am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

got it
your signature is very funny lol

Ask PTH! All the energy he wasted in almost 5 threads in this political section have dissappeared. All because of his problems. With a dude like PTH abi na davidylan, I say Nigeria can never be a better place even with all the blessings from God! He is hmmmmmmmm! lipsrsealed Please introduce your sister to him if you have any--above 20years old. PTH is very lonely and needs some form of companionship! cry
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 4:41am On Aug 21, 2007
@bebeelove
Ask PTH! All the energy he wasted in almost 5 threads in this political section have dissappeared. All because of his problems. With a dude like PTH abi na davidylan, I say Nigeria can never be a better place even with all the blessings from God! He is hmmmmmmmm! Lips sealed Please introduce your sister to him if you have any--above 20years old. PTH is very lonely and needs some form of companionship! Cry.

Unfortunately i have got no sister, so sorry, let him go to warri for that
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 4:46am On Aug 21, 2007
BABEELOVE:

Ask PTH! All the energy he wasted in almost 5 threads in this political section have dissappeared. All because of his problems. With a dude like PTH abi na davidylan, I say Nigeria can never be a better place even with all the blessings from God! He is hmmmmmmmm! lipsrsealed Please introduce your sister to him if you have any--above 20years old. PTH is very lonely and needs some form of companionship! cry

grin grin grin i just disappointed you there darling.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 5:10am On Aug 21, 2007
lol, how have you disappointed her?
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 5:12am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

na everything we go take mouth talk? grin grin let her keep deluding herself using her own sad existence as a template for insulting others.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 5:30am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

PTH:

na everything we go take mouth talk? grin grin let her keep deluding herself using her own sad existence as a template for insulting others.

Hmm! orisirisi!  Thanks!

Where is this dude---Uche? angry

If you think I am inviting you to my basement at this time of the night, you are joking davidylan.  I know that is why you are up at 12:30 in the morniing! Go and sleep!  In your own case--you go know say "tramp" get taste! grin  You?--- lai lai! Never!  Look for somewhere else to cure your hormonal imbalance! I cannot even offer you "agape"! grin

honeric01, sorry---this thread is thrash now!  It will be gone in about 4 hrs or less like the others! grin
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 5:46am On Aug 21, 2007
Please Guy, lets leave personal issues out of this thread. please
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 5:52am On Aug 21, 2007
Back to the topic again

I was just glancing through some pages on the net, and i came across this word, Nigeria was a much better place without oil, i want to know from fellow Nairaland users if you support or reject this statement with reasons why you are support or not in support of the statement.
Please candid view and opinion needed in this case. Undecided
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 5:55am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

Back to the topic again

I was just glancing through some pages on the net, and i came across this word, Nigeria was a much better place without oil, i want to know from fellow Nairaland users if you support or reject this statement with reasons why you are support or not in support of the statement.
Please candid view and opinion needed in this case. Undecided

Not really. Norway has oil and she is one of the richest and most powerful European nations. Oil is not a curse when managed responsibly. We had no problems with oil until 1966 when some hausa goons decided to destroy the regional system of government and divided us into 36 mostly unviable federal appendages and financial drainpipes called states.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by BABEELOVE(f): 6:05am On Aug 21, 2007
word!
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by danidanny(m): 6:08am On Aug 21, 2007
Nigeria is blessed, but it only depends on the government, how they manage our wealth.It is disappointing when u listen to how our governors stole money meant for the masses.I guess that's why we all are rushing out of the country.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 6:13am On Aug 21, 2007
responding to this comment:

Not really. Norway has oil and she is one of the richest and most powerful European nations. Oil is not a curse when managed responsibly. We had no problems with oil until 1966 when some hausa goons decided to destroy the regional system of government and divided us into 36 mostly unviable federal appendages and financial drainpipes called states.

In some way i agree with you but with the emerging of states, i don't think that's an issue because we have countries with more states and less resources doing better than we are.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 6:30am On Aug 21, 2007
honeric01:

In some way i agree with you but with the emerging of states, i don't think that's an issue because we have countries with more states and less resources doing better than we are.

It is not about just having more or less states. A single state in the US has a larger budget than the entire nation of Nigeria. Lets be candid, states in other nations are semi-autonomous entities who only pay taxes to the federal government, have their own source of revenue, have their independent constitutions and run their school and health systems independent of others.

What do we have in Nigeria? States who cannot function without "federal allocation", states who have to beg the FG before they can repair roads, clear gutters and buy primary school chairs and desks. Are thoe states?
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by Iman3(m): 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2007
Nigeria would have been a better place without oil.The discovery of large quaintities of oil in a relatively short space of time distorted the economy and led to the creation of a mono-product economy.Other sectors of the economy have been neglected as our fortunes were inextricably tied to oil.

In the 70s,this problem was hardly noticeable by most Nigerians as we were basking in oil boom-oil prices adjusted for inflation reached $100 per barrel-and with a population of around 60-70 million,the distortion of the economy was not appreciated.

Unfortunately,commodity prices also go down as well go up and when the oil prices went down in the early 80s,our economic fortunes went down with it.Even with todays oil prices averaging $70 per barrel,we are still $30 below prices in the 70s.Remember,that during Abacha's era,prices averaged $16 per barrel.We now have a population of 140 million but neither oil production nor oil prices have kept pace with population growth.
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 21, 2007
It still boils down to the colour of the skin. To the extent that they were able to make incursions into territories occupied by other races (negroes, red indians, latinos) and plunder both their human capital and natural resources for the development of the caucasoid societies, Caucasians were able to develop their nations at an extremely fast pace.

All the glittering Western societies that we see today were built from the sweat and blood of the less fortunate ancestors of third-world nations. If black Africans as a people had been able to get their acts together in good time maybe we would have stood firmly against the depredations visited on our societies by the whites- slave trade, colonialism, etc.

We are still having problems with our governance/politics today, because we are yet to master the administrative systems bequeathed on us by the colonial masters. Imagine, there was a form of democracy in the old Oyo empire even before the advent of the white man, then they came to join us all together in an unwieldy alliance of 250 different tribes and languages, we are still trying to make these systems work up till today. Nigeria was never maint to be. Indeed quite a number of African nation-states were only fashioned out to cater to the needs of colonial masters- Berlin Conference

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by honeric01(m): 11:27pm On Aug 21, 2007
i still disagree about this so called skin color. that only can't make a country to be front sliding
Re: Can Nigeria Be A Much Better Place Without ? by PTH(m): 11:35pm On Aug 21, 2007
@ ziddy

if its skin color that is our problem then the people of the middle east especially Iraq must be black. You hit the nail on the head with the point in your last paragraph. Democracy was existing in our ancient societies long before Lord Lugard and his murderous friends came along. What of the igbo societies who did not have an igwe? they still ruled themselves by a system of checks and balances.

Our major stumbling block in Nigeria is not resources or how to manage them but how to accomodate incompatible groups within the same country. Once we get this right we'd be headed for greatness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Real Story Behind The Jos Crisis - Documentary ( Viewer Discretion advised ) / Daily Sun: Yar'adua Recovers, May Return To Office Soon! / Hiv Victims Sue Fg For $50bn, Ask Court To Stop Use Of Condoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.