Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle (1059 Views)

Bike Rider Spotted Towing An 18-Seater Bus With His Motorcycle In Lagos (Video) / 2 Men Towing Car On Cart Truck (Video + Photos) / Range Rover & G-wagon Was Reduced To A Towing Vehicle (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Orlatunday11(m): 4:40pm On Sep 23, 2022
A Lagos State High Court in Ikeja has awarded N750,000 damages against the state government for violating a legal practitioner, Lawal Aliyu’s fundamental rights, following the towing of his vehicle and imposed fines by Lagos State Traffic Management Authority without a valid court order.

In a judgment delivered by Justice Olalekan Oresanya, Thursday, in the suit filed by Aliyu against LASTMA, the Lagos State Government, and the state’s Attorney General, the court held that it was unconstitutional for LASTMA to impose fines and tow vehicles of alleged traffic offenders without a valid court order.

Aliyu had filed the suit to challenge the N20,000 fine imposed on him by LASTMA for an alleged traffic offence, and another N10,000 towage fine which he was forced to pay by the traffic enforcement agency.

Justice Oresanya held that “Public authorities and bodies cannot act in a manner that is inconsistent and incompatible with the fundamental rights of citizens as guaranteed by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

On the whole, I give judgment for the applicant in the following terms; I make a declaration that the obstruction, towage, seizure, and impoundment of the applicant’s car with Registration NO. AGL 93 DW on the 23rd November 2021 by the Respondents is unlawful, illegal, and unconstitutional as same amounted to gross violation of the Applicant’s fundamental right to freedom of movement enshrined in Section 41 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

“I make a declaration that the imposition and enforcement of LASTMA fine in the sum of N20,000 and LASTMA towing fine in the sum of N10,000, on the applicant without an order of a court of competent jurisdiction is unlawful, illegal and is null and void and the said fines should be paid back by the respondents to the applicant.

“The sum of N750,000 compensatory damages is awarded against the respondents for the violation of the applicant’s fundamental rights,” the court held.

Source
https://punchng.com/lagos-govt-fined-n750000-for-towing-lawyers-vehicle/

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Orlatunday11(m): 4:42pm On Sep 23, 2022
Serve them right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Givemehope(f): 4:46pm On Sep 23, 2022
Good for them
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Coolbreezz: 5:04pm On Sep 23, 2022
Good
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Stevocalipa(m): 5:17pm On Sep 23, 2022
When you're Rich/Influential in this country, you suffer less 'no cap' cool
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by nymphomaniac(m): 5:47pm On Sep 23, 2022
Good precedent.
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by nymphomaniac(m): 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2022
Good precedent.

Seun front page please.
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by kernniejay(m): 5:58pm On Sep 24, 2022
I like that judgement. When you see this sticker "I be lawyer, trouble be my job" behind a car, you don't joke with such car. The LASTMA officials hooked the wrong guy that day.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Originalsly: 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2022
I'm sure the same happened to other lawyers and influential people.... in this type and other cases. What people don't do is take the matter to court because it's a waste of time... nothing will happen. If more people do this ... then authorities will begin to do the right thing. I guess this judge was praying for someone to bring such a case to his court.
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 25, 2022
The way the lastma thugs will be negotiating bribe with a supposed traffic offender as if they work the money for him
'If we tow your car to our office you will pay sanwo olu #50k fine.But if you want us to release your car here you will give us #30k"Thieves them.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by webizone(m): 9:42pm On Sep 25, 2022
I don't pray to enter trouble but e good to get this lawyer number.
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by pragmatistm(m): 9:12am On Sep 26, 2022
As fine as the provisions of judgment are, the question begging for answer is: who will enforce them in Lagos?

Its illegal to tow vehicles, impose fine, etc, who will enforce that?

Seun, homepage pleasee!!!
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by CaptainAyub: 8:48pm On Sep 26, 2022
This is what lawyers wey sabi should be doing.
Testing these draconian laws put up by some useless govts.
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by CocoaOla: 11:00pm On Sep 26, 2022
Everyday for thieves one day for partitional of laws

Lagos state government is too aggressive thsee days they need to chill
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by RZArecta(m): 3:56am On Sep 27, 2022
Lalasticlala push to front page o
Re: Lagos Govt Fined N750,000, For Towing Lawyer’s Vehicle by baba4thegehs: 11:14pm On Sep 27, 2022
Since 2021, Imagine if he wasn't a lawyer.

There are problems in this country sha

(1) (Reply)

FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL:12 Low-fuel Consuming Vehicles You Should Consider Buying / Porsche Opens Dealership In Lagos / Best Way To Maintain Bmw In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.