Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi (971 Views)

Policeman Uses Ballot Box To Wash Uniform In Bayelsa (Photo) / Is Buhari’s Threat To Ballot Box Snatchers Constitutional? Find Out / PDP Reacts As Buhari Says Snatch Ballot Box, Pay With Your Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by AntiTerrorist: 8:07am On Sep 24, 2022
Two years after Samuel Ashola was shot in the leg during a peaceful protest in Nigeria’s econ youomic capital Lagos, the unemployed artist boils with anger as he prepares to vote.

“My blood is hot,” said the 30-year-old, before campaigning for the 2023 general elections starts later in September.

“I’m from the ghetto, the slum, the gutter… and I can tell you, Nigerians are really mad. The way our government is running things, with all that happened… I want to vent it out.”

Many young Nigerians behind the largest protests in the country’s modern history were traumatised by shootings in Lagos State on October 20, 2020, when security forces violently dispersed a crowd demanding better governance.

Mass protests, which rallied to the hashtag #EndSARS – referring to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad that was eventually disbanded over reports of extortion and brutality – ground to a halt after that fateful night.

Amnesty International said at least 10 people were killed by the security forces, a claim the government has repeatedly denied. A Lagos investigative panel described the incident as a “massacre”.

For those who were there and many others watching online, it was a moment of political awakening that could impact the outcome of next year’s vote.

“We stopped fighting because we knew we had a chance to change the people at the top in 2023,” said 27-year-old Esther Jonathan. “We’ve been waiting for this.”

Since 2020, the economy has deteriorated, insecurity has spread and public universities have been shut for eight months due to strikes, spurring on those who want change.

– ‘Momentum’ –

Vying to replace President Muhammadu Buhari, who is to step down after his two constitutional terms, are Atiku Abubakar of the People’s Democratic Party and Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the ruling All Progressives Congress party.

But outsiders Rabiu Kwankwaso of the New Nigeria People’s Party and the popular Peter Obi of the Labour Party could benefit from an emerging protest vote.

Voter turnout is generally low in Nigeria — 33 percent in the last election — and young people are not known for being the most politically active.

But “there has been a positive progression from 2015 until now” in interest in politics, said Udo Jude Ilo, analyst and consultant with Thoughts and Mace Advisory.

Last month, the electoral commission said around 70 percent of newly registered voters were aged 18 to 34.

“(The) 2023 election is not going to be like every other election,” said Akinwunmi Ibrahim Adebanjo, 26. “This time we will be coming outside… to get the country back from the hands of political thieves.”

Odunayo Eweniyi, a 28-year-old founding member of the Feminist Coalition, a key group behind the movement, believes the 2020 protests inspired people who had not directly supported them.

“Whether you were pro or against, the truth is, a change was made, voices were heard,” she said. “And now because we realise it is possible — wherever you are in Nigeria — to have your voice heard, people are building on that momentum.”

The protests were also a turning point for the political elite, according to Hamzat Lawal, a 35-year-old activist who recently announced he intends to run for office.

The government “could have created an enabling environment for dialogue,” he said, but instead resorted to force because “they were scared.

“They never saw young people this organised… mobilising resources, coordinating themselves, speaking in one voice.”

– Challenges –

Five out of seven protesters AFP interviewed in Lagos and the political capital Abuja said they would vote for Obi. At 61, his age is one of his attractions, since Abubakar and Ahmed are both over 70.

“Right from independence we’ve been ruled by one old person to another,” said 27-year-old Anita Izato. “I think it’s time to see if a younger person could do better.”

While Obi used to be a member of the PDP, he is now running with the much lesser known Labour Party and has managed to position himself as anti-establishment.
https://www.otowngist.com/2022/09/23/endsars-protesters-look-to-ballot-box/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 24, 2022
Vote him with all your heart and leave the rest to God

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 8:11am On Sep 24, 2022
All these just makes it look like the endsarz was an agenda.

How did obi inherit the endsarz? Not even Sowore?
I just dey think aloud

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by conductor250: 8:14am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

I just dey think aloud
So? Oga shift.

3 Likes

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by toneroforever(m): 8:15am On Sep 24, 2022
Most Nigerians have taken ownership of the OBIdient movement. When I knew it was a serious issue was during Obi's negotiations with Kwankwaso. OBIdients told him clearly that if he accepts to be the VP in their merger talks, they will cease to support him.
It's not just about the man Peter Obi, it's about the ordinary Nigerians who simply desire to take back their country. Obi is just a tool in the hands of the masses. They found a voice in his candidacy hence the movement. It is a project in which their opinions count.
That's why the OBIdients unapologetically come for anyone they see attacking Obi. They instantly view such a person as an enemy of the state.
When the political elite & a section of the media they control tried to disparage the OBIdients by labelling them as being toxic, little did they know that they were indicting themselves. They created the monsters out of the OBIdients.
Make no mistakes about it, Nigeria is nearly bankrupt. The future of this country has been wrecked & bastardized by the mindless corruption & sheer wickedness of majority of the Nigerian politicians. If we play no part in trying to rescue it, history will judge us harshly.
I pray Obi wins. After his presidency, Nigerians of all the geopolitical regions should join hands and support a Northern president possibly from the NC or NE to ensure equity. The candidate should be supported just like we are supporting Obi now & he/she should be seen to have the country's best interests at heart. That way, politicians will seat up & know that power truly belongs to the people.

4 Likes

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 8:18am On Sep 24, 2022
conductor250:

So? Oga shift.

You for no quote me if you no get anything to say..

I Dont babysit
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Betanaija42moro: 8:18am On Sep 24, 2022
The headline should be, Nigerian Youths looking to the ballot box, to vote Peter Obi.

3 Likes

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by floret23(f): 8:21am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

I just dey think aloud
No wonder your monicker is 'lazy reporter.'

Go to the street, ask five people who surpported Endsars, four of them would declare for Peter Obi. The remaining one would either go for Sowore or Atiku. You can experiment this today and come and give us feedback.

As for me, I surpported Endsars, I endorse Peter Obi. I say No to Tribalism.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Racoon(m): 8:23am On Sep 24, 2022
You may or may not vote Peter Obi but the APC must be kicked out of our national life by February 2023 and if they are booted out, then it is a choice living Nigerians will live with as the untold pain & hardship the satanic government have inflicted on this beleaguered nation is unprecedented.

A vote for justice in 2023 is a vote against all the injustice of the past 7 years. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - M. Luther King.

2 Likes

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 8:25am On Sep 24, 2022
floret23:
No wonder your monicker is 'lazy reporter.'

Go to the street, ask five people who surpported Endsars, four of them would declare for Peter Obi. The remaining one would either go for Sowore or Atiku. You can experiment this today and come and give us feedback.

As for me, I surpported Endsars, I endorse Peter Obi. I say No to Tribalism.

This one no Sabi read again but she Sha wan famz.

Aunty or brother, I said the same thing, just that I asked why? You get it now?
I no get biscuit o, don't cry on my mention
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 24, 2022
I no know why I dey laff... grin grin

Obi wan collect protest vote because his son trampled on the zoo's flag... grin grin
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by floret23(f): 8:29am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

You are confusing yourself. You don't know how to communicate. You can see I'm not the only one correcting you.

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

Are u young john?, u're just too wicked.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 8:35am On Sep 24, 2022
floret23:
You are confusing yourself. You don't know how to communicate. You can see I'm not the only one correcting you.

OK, why did obi or how did obi inherit the endsarz people? I knew Sowore was active during the endsarz, before, and after.
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by BlazinGlory40: 8:35am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

I just dey think aloud

Who be Sowore?
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 8:37am On Sep 24, 2022
BlazinGlory40:

Who be Sowore?

Who be obi? See question
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by derecho(m): 8:53am On Sep 24, 2022
The first few lines show say you sabi wetin dey.
Leave those reading expired news.

Peter Obi is why Nigerians want to give Nigeria another chance

toneroforever:
Most Nigerians have taken ownership of the OBIdient movement. When I knew it was a serious issue was during Obi's negotiations with Kwankwaso. OBIdients told him clearly that if he accepts to be the VP in their merger talks, they will cease to support him.
It's not just about the man Peter Obi, it's about the ordinary Nigerians who simply desire to take back their country. Obi is just a tool in the hands of the masses. They found a voice in his candidacy hence the movement. It is a project in which their opinions count.
That's why the OBIdients unapologetically come for anyone they see attacking Obi. They instantly view such a person as an enemy of the state.
When the political elite & a section of the media they control tried to disparage the OBIdients by labelling them as being toxic, little did they know that they were indicting themselves. They created the monsters out of the OBIdients.
Make no mistakes about it, Nigeria is nearly bankrupt. The future of this country has been wrecked & bastardized by the mindless corruption & sheer wickedness of majority of the Nigerian politicians. If we play no part in trying to rescue it, history will judge us harshly.
I pray Obi wins. After his presidency, Nigerians of all the geopolitical regions should join hands and support a Northern president possibly from the NC or NE to ensure equity. The candidate should be supported just like we are supporting Obi now & he/she should be seen to have the country's best interests at heart. That way, politicians will seat up & know that power truly belongs to the people.

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by omenka(m): 8:58am On Sep 24, 2022
The Pandora crook thinks he would leverage on a movement he contributed SQUAT to by appealing to the emotions of the participants. Dude keeps revealing what a desperate reprobate he is daily.

On the other hand, if those senseless goons who availed themselves as cannon fodder by enemies of Lagos state and indeed Nigeria attempt a repeat of that unfortunate episode, especially on Lagos, they'd be taught bitter lessons they'd foreve live to remember.

The state is still reeling from the destruction it suffered from that event, destruction mostly carried out by enemies from across the river. It would be stupid of them to think Lagosians will re-entertain their beligerent insanity. If you act up, be prepared to take whatever comes your way.

Anambra is very much open to protests and marches as well. Take your shit there, and STAY THERE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by floret23(f): 9:00am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

OK, why did obi or how did obi inherit the endsarz people? I knew Sowore was active during the endsarz, before, and after.
Obi inherit Endsars people because people know he is not corrupt. Only someone who is not corrupt can fight against police brutality. Corrupt elements like Tinubu and Buhari can never oppose police brutality. Check their comments during Endsars protests and check Obi's comment.

As for Sowore, activists don't make good leader. Do you know Sowore is the chairman of AAC? He is also the presidential candidate of the party. He doesn't trust anyone. No sensible and honest person will approve such selfishness.

It is easy to see that Sowore would be very intolerant and autocratic if he enters into government. You can see how Reno, FFK, Keyamo have messed up. When Sowore also get to the dinning table, he would do worse.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by derecho(m): 9:13am On Sep 24, 2022
Sowore would have been the arrow head but he is perceived as one of those who brought this useless government.
Even endsars protesters rejected him to spearhead the protest.

That said,
The endsars protest was not supported by many youths until The lekki shooting occurred. The attempt to cover the killings drew in more supporters.
Tinubu's attempt to resume tolling added more sympathizers.
Endsars was just a launchpad but na Tinubu carry chest come out.

Finally,
Endsars protesters is just 20% of OBIdients.
OBIdients comprise youths who seek a better tomorrow,northern Christians, 98% Christians averse to the Muslim-muslim ticket, 80% of Southern Nigerians who believe power should return South, 98% of igbos across Nigeria who felt marginalized, 80% of Nigerians who are tired of APC + PDP, etc
More would join

Summary,
Sowore can't be trusted.
Peter Obi has a Divine backing hence he would reap where others Labored

4 Likes

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by EmiLoKanMyAss: 9:43am On Sep 24, 2022
Sowore could not champion a political party. So rest.
Lazyreporta:

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by BlazinGlory40: 9:46am On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

Who be obi? See question

Oh I get it. You are a BAT supporter. Issorite!

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 10:04am On Sep 24, 2022
floret23:
Obi inherit Endsars people because people know he is not corrupt. Only someone who is not corrupt can fight against police brutality. Corrupt elements like Tinubu and Buhari can never oppose police brutality. Check their comments during Endsars protests and check Obi's comment.

As for Sowore, activists don't make good leader. Do you know Sowore is the chairman of AAC? He is also the presidential candidate of the party. He doesn't trust anyone. No sensible and honest person will approve such selfishness.

It is easy to see that Sowore would be very intolerant and autocratic if he enters into government. You can see how Reno, FFK, Keyamo have messed up. When Sowore also get to the dinning table, he would do worse.

You know you were being reasonable until you drag tinubu and buhari into it, especially calling them corrupt. Do you have any case against them? If it's all these regular talk, how's obi different? I am sure you know they are all called thieves.. So how's obi better than them? On capacity, is obi better? Did he tell you since how he will fix the country?

2 Likes

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by FreeStuffsNG: 10:06am On Sep 24, 2022
Na dem dem.
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by toneroforever(m): 10:16am On Sep 24, 2022
Racoon:
You may or may not vote Peter Obi but the APC must be kicked out of our national life by February 2023. This satanic government have inflicted so much pain on this beleaguered nation.

A vote for justice in 2023 is a vote against all the injustice of the past 7 years. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - M. Luther King.

Is APC still in the race? Thought we've already banished the memories of pain they inflicted on us as a people the moment the OBIdient movement was birthed. APC is a plague in the class of Ebola, never wish it on anyone,not even ur enemy.

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by techWriter3: 11:12am On Sep 24, 2022
Vote him with all your heartless and stay the rest to God

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by floret23(f): 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

You know you were being reasonable until you drag tinubu and buhari into it, especially calling them corrupt. Do you have any case against them? If it's all these regular talk, how's obi different? I am sure you know they are all called thieves.. So how's obi better than them? On capacity, is obi better? Did he tell you since how he will fix the country?
Go and verify. Google is your friend.
If you are asking me this unreasonable question at this time, it means you have zeal up your mind already. No amount of explanation can convince you. But my prayer for you and your family is that, may APC's Nigeria never happen to you before you become wise.
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 5:24pm On Sep 24, 2022
floret23:
Go and verify. Google is your friend.
If you are asking me this unreasonable question at this time, it means you have zeal up your mind already. No amount of explanation can convince you. But my prayer for you and your family is that, may APC's Nigeria never happen to you before you become wise.

It's not party this time, it's capacity, it's individual. Therefore, tinubu is way ahead of obi, and it's not up for debate. His big opponent self knows that. So you all can deceive una self about obi being better, but last last we all know the truth. Obi has never mentioned how he will do it, let's forget about the fact that he's an importer of products, and his talking about manufacturing. Laughable thou, only you people can praise such a myopic, and valueless speech

1 Like

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by floret23(f): 5:31pm On Sep 24, 2022
Lazyreporta:

It's not party this time, it's capacity, it's individual. Therefore, tinubu is way ahead of obi, and it's not up for debate. His big opponent self knows that. So you all can deceive una self about obi being better, but last last we all know the truth. Obi has never mentioned how he will do it, let's forget about the fact that he's an importer of products, and his talking about manufacturing. Laughable thou, only you people can praise such a myopic, and valueless speech
With all his controversies? Mention one area in Tinubu's life that is not controversial. Can you employ such a mysterious element? Apart from his criminal records and deteriorating physical, mental health, I see him as someone very empty. He only wants the honour of being a president not that he wants to better the life of Nigerians.

If he has any idea, why can't he share it with Buhari?

Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Lazyreporta(m): 7:54am On Sep 25, 2022
floret23:
With all his controversies? Mention one area in Tinubu's life that is not controversial. Can you employ such a mysterious element? Apart from his criminal records and deteriorating physical, mental health, I see him as someone very empty. He only wants the honour of being a president not that he wants to better the life of Nigerians.

If he has any idea, why can't he share it with Buhari?

OK since you are busy accusing him without a single fact but exonerate your obi.
I rest my case, I thought I was talking to someone open minded
Re: Endsars Protesters Looking To Ballot Box, To Vote Peter Obi by Salewa97: 10:01am On Sep 25, 2022
Instead of submitting your GCE certificate to INEC, Peter Obi, where is your original third-class certificate?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hope Uzodinmma Owns Labour Party In Imo State / Atiku Brought GSM To Nigeria, Dino On New Video / Breaking!!! Jagaban Put Leash On Obidient Dogs - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.