Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,564 members, 7,816,379 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Folks In The USA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Folks In The USA (1838 Views)

CORONAVIRUS: Going Back To The USA From 9ja / Should I Still Travel To The USA? / What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Folks In The USA by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 27, 2022
Is making $100k really really hard like extremely hard ? I saw a post on Facebook where a black American posted it that she see herself making $100k before the end of this month. Was like even young black American nigars are already on $25m. grin although dreams and goals are different sha .

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 27, 2022
leody:
Is making $100k really really hard like extremely hard ? I saw a post on Facebook where a black American posted it that she see herself making $100k before the end of this month. Was like even young black American nigars are already on $25m. grin although dreams and goals are different sha .

Hard can be relative. Most Americans don't make 100k annually.

About 1/3 (30%) earn 30k or less annually

About 3/20 (15%) earn 100k or more annually

About 17/20 (85%) makes less than 100k annually

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folks In The USA by sihamey: 6:52pm On Sep 27, 2022
leody:
$100K for month of annual
Make sure you read well .

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 7:01pm On Sep 27, 2022
sihamey:

$100K for month of annual
Make sure you read well .
Ati annual o ati month o that was how I saw it grin
Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 9:55pm On Sep 27, 2022
Somehow yes. Only 15pct of US population makes 100k and above per year.

And I can bet that percentage will be even smaller in the black community.

So, yes it's a big deal in the US and mostly among black community to be making 100k and above a year.
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:16pm On Sep 27, 2022
[i][/i]
leody:
Is making $100k really really hard like extremely hard ? I saw a post on Facebook where a black American posted it that she see herself making $100k before the end of this month. Was like even young black American nigars are already on $25m. grin although dreams oand goals are different sha .

According to the DOL, 19.6% of Black American households earn over $100,000 per year. It doesn’t specify how many of those are two income homes.

Did she say that was her year to date earnings?
Making $100k a year isn’t that uncommon and very possible depending on what kind of work she is doing. My yearly earnings exceed $100k and I know a number of other people who earn the same or even more than I do.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:
Somehow yes. Only 15pct of US population makes 100k and above per year.

And I can bet that percentage will be even smaller in the black community.

So, yes it's a big deal in the US and mostly among black community to be making 100k and above a year.
The bolded exactly my point those black Americans wey dey carry drug steady steady fit see am within a week those guys dem giran grin
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:24pm On Sep 27, 2022
leody:

The bolded exactly my point those black Americans wey dey carry drug steady steady fit see am within a week those guys dem giran grin

The average Black American doesn’t sell drugs. That would be like saying all Nigerians are into fraud.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
Studymore123:

Hard can be relative. Most Americans don't make 100k annually.

About 1/3 (30%) earn 30k or less annually

About 3/20 (15%) earn 100k or more annually

About 17/20 (85%) makes less than 100k annually

That’s per person. It’s not uncommon for a Black person to earn over $100k but two people in a household, such as a married couple, each earning $50 k (or one earning $40k and the other $60k) will
All have a household income of over $100,000.

A good number of Black American veterans receive disability pay from their military days, some as much as $5,000/month and that isn’t considered earnings. So a veteran getting $5000 a month in veteran’s benefits and working a job that pays over $40k a year can easily exceed that.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

The average Black American doesn’t sell drugs. That would be like saying all Nigerians are into fraud.
OK lets say 85% of young black Americans are into drugs how about that? grin
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
leody:

OK lets say 85% of young black Americans are into drugs how about that? grin

Stereotypical and still very wrong.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
[i][/i]

According to the DOL, 19.6% of Black American households earn over $100,000 per year. It doesn’t specify how many of those are two income homes.

Making $100k a year isn’t that uncommon and very possible depending on what kind of work she is doing. My yearly earnings exceed $100k and I know a number of other people who earn the same or even more than I do.
Your annual earning exceeded $100k Babe you go do money to trenches this night I no wan known wetin go happen ha grin

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
leody:

Your annual earning is exceeded $100k Babe you go do money to trenches this night O I no wan known wetin go happen ha grin

I don’t understand your question.
Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I don’t understand your question.
Oya read again you'll understand.. grin
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
leody:

Oya read again you'll understand.. grin

I don’t. I guess it wasn’t important.
Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 10:39pm On Sep 27, 2022
This data gives better understanding of Black vs White vs Asian American vs Latinos earnings in the US. Though men only but the data will be close for women as well.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/factsheets/at-a-glance/earnings-men-age-race-ethnicity.html
Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 10:50pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
[i][/i]

Household yes. But individuals is lower than that. And the topic here is centered around individual's earning.
Re: Folks In The USA by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

That’s per person. It’s not uncommon for a Black person to earn over $100k but two people in a household, such as a married couple, each earning $50 k (or one earning $40k and the other $60k) will
All have a household income of over $100,000.

A good number of Black American veterans receive disability pay from their military days, some as much as $5,000/month and that isn’t considered earnings. So a veteran getting $5000 a month in veteran’s benefits and working a job that pays over $40k a year can easily exceed that.

Yes, my stats was based on individual earnings. Household income would definitely shoot up the figures.

Disability pay is based on disability rating and dependents. I don't know the current rate but was around 3k in the past for a 100% disability rating with dependents. You don't expect such person to be working because to qualify for such you're severely impaired in your ability to work.
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:09pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

Household yes. But individuals is lower than that. And the topic here is centered around individual's earning.

And SSA data only counts a primary job.
To reiterate my earlier reply, it is t very unusual
for a Black person in America to earn $100k or more
per year.
Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 11:13pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

And SSA data only counts a primary job.
To reiterate my earlier reply, it is t very unusual
for a Black person in America to earn $100k or more
per year.

What do you mean by primary job? What is the maximum income level to pay Social Security tax? Is it based on number of jobs or your total income?

Below is written on the SSA data I shared. Click on the link and review it.

DEFINITION: Earnings consist of all wages, salaries, and self-employment income in covered and noncovered employment, including earnings that exceed the annual taxable maximum.
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:14pm On Sep 27, 2022
Studymore123:

Yes, my stats was based on individual earnings. Household income would definitely shoot up the figures.

Disability pay is based on disability rating and dependents. I don't know the current rate but was around 3k in the past for a 100% disability rating with dependents. You don't expect such person to be working because to qualify for such you're severely impaired in your ability to work.

Not really.While persons receiving disability from Social Security are limited when it comes to working and how much they can earn, a large majority of VA disability recipients have service connected disabilities that are mental and emotional (such as PTSD) rather than physical. A 100% rating usually pays more than $3k per month, especially for Agent Orange and issues from the Gulf War. Over 65% of veterans rated 80% or more are still in the workforce. In fact, having a VA disability rating gives them
A veteran’s advantage when it comes to being hired at many companies, including the government itself.
For example, the USPS gives veterans and disabled veterans advantage points towards their test scores that usually put them above ordinary applicants.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:18pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

What do you mean by primary job? What is the maximum income level to pay Social Security tax? Is it based on number of jobs or your total income?

Below is written on the SSA data I shared. Click on the link and review it.

DEFINITION: Earnings consist of all wages, salaries, and self-employment income in covered and noncovered employment, including earnings that exceed the annual taxable maximum.

Thanks for the link but I’m well-versed in the statistics gathered by the SSA.
I have a career but I also operate an LLC as do a number of people and my earnings through my LLC are not included in my SSA data.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 11:20pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Not really.While persons receiving disability from Social Security are limited when it comes to working and how much they can earn, a large majority of VA disability recipients have service connected disabilities that are mental and emotional (such as PTSD) rather than physical. A 100% rating usually pays more than $3k per month, especially for Agent Orange and issues from the Gulf War. Over 65% of veterans rated 80% or more are still in the workforce. In fact, having a VA disability rating gives them
A veteran’s advantage when it comes to being hired at many companies, including the government itself.
For example, the USPS gives veterans and disabled veterans advantage points towards their test scores that usually put them above ordinary applicants.

Forget all these. All earnings,whether from jobs, disability etc must be reported to authorities, like FIRS, SSA according to the laws. And the data from these authorities says only 15pct of Americans makes 100k and above a year individually.
Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 11:21pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I have a career but I also operate an LLC as do a number of people and my earnings through my LLC are not in my SSA data.

That is only you and not for all Americans.
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:21pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

Forget all these. All earnings,whether from jobs, disability etc must be reported to authorities, like FIRS, SSA according to the laws. And the data from these authorities says only 15pct of Americans makes 100k and above a year individually.

VA disability income as well as certain other types of income are non-taxable and do not have to be reported or filed with taxes.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:24pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

Okay so 15% of Americans in the workforce is a little more than 23 million Americans which backs up my earlier statement that it’s not unusual for a Black person to earn $100,000/year or more.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 11:25pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

VA disability income as well as certain other types of income are non-taxable and do not have to be reported or filed with taxes.

Proof this that US laws say all incomes must not be reported to FIRS when you file your taxes.

Yes certain income might not be taxable but you must report all incomes including overseas incomes anywhere you make them from in the world.

1 Like

Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

Proof this that US laws say all incomes must not be reported to FIRS when you file your taxes.

Yes certain income might not be taxable but you must report all incomes including overseas incomes anywhere you make them from in the world.

The IRS receives records of every veteran receiving disability income and according to US tax code, that income is non-taxable and isn’t filed on a tax return.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 11:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Okay so 15% of Americans in the workforce is a little more than 23 million Americans which backs up my earlier statement that it’s not unusual for a Black person to earn $100,000/year or more.

Now that you have agreed that the appropriate authorities have told us only 15pct of Americans makes 100k and above, then the next question is what percent of black people are in that 15pct?
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

Now that you have agreed that the appropriate authorities have told us only 15pct of Americans makes 100k and above, then the next question is what percent of black people are in that 15pct?

We don’t have that information however I doubt that that number is minuscule. Let’s face it, post-pandemic, even garbage men in NYC easily earn over $100k. There is a nursing shortage so with overtime, a registered nurse can easily earn over $100,000. In 2019, some were reported to have earned $250k for the year.
The US also has over 1.79 million documented Black American millionaires.

18% of Black households earn over $100k. We are speaking of individual earnings however that in itself leads me to believe the number of individuals is pretty healthy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Folks In The USA by Helpout12345: 11:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

We don’t have that information
however I doubt that that number is minuscule. Let’s face it, post-pandemic, even garbage men in NYC easily earn over $100k. There is a nursing shortage so with overtime, a registered nurse can easily earn over $100,000.
The US also has over 1.79 million documented Black American millionaires.

Good at bolded. I am interested in your source of garbage men in NY making 100k and 1.79m blacks are millionaires
Re: Folks In The USA by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:40pm On Sep 27, 2022
Helpout12345:

Good at bolded. I am interested in your source of garbage men in NY making 100k and 1.79m blacks are millionaires

Here’s an article stating that 94 garbage men in New York earned $300,000 in 2021.
https://www.ibtimes.com/94-nyc-garbage-collectors-earn-300000-2021-net-100000-ot-pay-3356548?amp=1

Here’s another article that speaks about the garbagemen earning over $100,000 per year
https://fantasticfacts.net/10522/

Here’s one of the most credible sources for statistics in the US where facts about Blacks in the country can be researched, including the amount of millionaires.

www.pew research.org

According to this site, the number of Black American Millionaires is 8% of America’s total millionaire population.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which UK Cities Have The Most Cluster Of Nigerians? / What Is The Requirements For Travelling To Guernsey / Please I Need Assistance On Chinese Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.