Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,028 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service (743 Views)

Tinubu To Reshuffle Cabinet, Five Ministers likely to Be Dropped - The Will / Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi / 2019: Attempt To Cede Kwara To The Yoruba Will Fail – Baraje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by smile4kenn(m): 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2022
BBC Igbo and BBC Yoruba are being gutted.

This is an opportunity to do some much needed housekeeping at the Lagos and Abuja bureaus, but knowing the BBC, it'll be wasted.

The BBC has announced deep cuts to its World Service output that will result in the loss of hundreds of jobs, saying it has been forced to act by the government’s ongoing licence fee freeze.

A BBC spokesperson said the UK Foreign Office had been consulted over the latest cuts and no country would lose its World Service content altogether, with digital operations continuing in all languages.

There will be a net loss of 226 jobs in the UK and 156 overseas. Despite the funding cuts, the BBC claims the World Service still reaches a weekly audience of about 364 million people.

Some foreign-language World Service teams based in London will move to the countries they serve, such as Thai services shifting to Bangkok, the Korean service to Seoul, and the Bangla service to Dhaka. Several staff on those services said they expect to take redundancy rather than relocate, resulting in a loss of institutional knowledge.

https://gist.am/q/bbc-igbo-and-bbc-yoruba-will-be-wiped-out-from-the-bbc-world-service-hundreds-o
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by favour2222: 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2022
undecided
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by flejnr2(f): 9:37pm On Sep 29, 2022
Truth be told the two are not doing anything and not trafficking like the Hausa compatriot

1 Like

Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by Elmojiid(m): 9:54pm On Sep 29, 2022
Who BBC Yoruba and igbo help and na who Dey hear them

2 Likes

Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by Prosperous111(m): 11:03pm On Sep 29, 2022
Another roles of those terrorist trying hard to shut off yoruba and Igbo languages across the globe and see to it that Hausa and Fulani BBC doesn’t stop working to promote their language as owners of Nigeria ��

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by SmartPolician: 11:56pm On Sep 29, 2022
flejnr2:
Truth be told the two are not doing anything and not trafficking like the Hausa compatriot

You cannot compare BBC Hausa that has been there for decades to those two that just started. In 2001, I bought my first shortwave radio after falling in love with the BBC World Service. Even that time, BBC Hausa was active.

Oftentimes, I wonder what the British government gains by having the BBC broadcast in so many foreign languages whereas they don't run ads.

Although I rarely listen to BBC World Service from shortwave radio due to the proliferation of cable TV, I am sure the shortwave frequency band of the BBC doesn't run ads.
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by Fortruth: 1:35am On Sep 30, 2022
flejnr2:

This is actually a victory for Yoruba and Igbo.

They can tell their stories without lies from International cartel sponsored groups.

If the services were started the same time as the BBC Hausa it would be different today, but you can't start something like that a few years back with so many media options and expect much.

1 Like

Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by FreeStuffsNG: 2:43am On Sep 30, 2022
Truly the London Bridge has fallen. I wish UK soonest recovery.
The politicians eventually got their way on gradual de-funding of BBC.

Those two channels could be used for opening up the media space more especially if the franchise is transferred to non political interests.

In my opinion, BBC should not only bs about politics and British hegemony. It should be a tool for mankind to inform and entertain in a decent and just way.
check my signature for free stuffs!
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by meobizy(f): 2:46am On Sep 30, 2022
Leave it to Nairaland where members still listen to radios. Tufia!
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by spearman(m): 2:47am On Sep 30, 2022
Thank Goodness
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by flamingREED(m): 2:47am On Sep 30, 2022
Putin??
Re: BBC Igbo And BBC Yoruba Will Be Dropped Out From The BBC World Service by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 30, 2022
The name doesn't have to have BBC attached to it, just remove the BBC attached,privatize the station and move on.

(1) (Reply)

Four People Tweeting In A Room Causes Gridlock / 2023: Matawalle Support Group Chairman, Waziri, Others Defect From PDP To APC / I Just Saw This Video Of Peter Obi, Is It True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.