Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? (854 Views)

Is Lenovo X380 Yoga Laptop Good For Programming? / Is This Laptop Good For Coding? / Recommend A Laptop For Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by FahBuLous: 9:46am On Oct 02, 2022
I want to fully start my journey in the tech world, I want to know if this system is compatible for programming before I buy it...

Thank you...

Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by FahBuLous: 9:49am On Oct 02, 2022
Cc tensazangetsu20
Cc thenaijacoder
Cc qtguru
Cc queTeddy
Cc avalon7
Cc solid3
Cc Nickyvil

1 Like

Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by nickyvil: 9:57am On Oct 02, 2022
If you have the fund, go for higher grade but if you don't, you can start with that but try 8g ram and 256rom
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by FahBuLous: 9:59am On Oct 02, 2022
nickyvil:
If you have the fund, go for higher grade but if you don't, you can start with that but try 8g ram and 256rom
I don't have much funds boss... And I dunno when I will add up...
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by nickyvil: 10:01am On Oct 02, 2022
FahBuLous:
I don't have much funds boss... And I dunno when I will add up...

You start with this too
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by FahBuLous: 10:06am On Oct 02, 2022
nickyvil:

You start with this too
Thanks boss...
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by nickyvil: 10:39am On Oct 02, 2022
FahBuLous:
Thanks boss...

Welcome
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:46am On Oct 02, 2022
Oh yeah. Check if the ram is upgradeable. If it isn't it's not bad.
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by QueTeddy: 10:57am On Oct 02, 2022
Yea, works well. with time, you get to upgrade.
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by kernniejay(m): 11:05am On Oct 02, 2022
Core i5, 128GB SSD is a bit fair but that 4GB RAM is too low. You should go for a minimum of 8GB RAM but if this is all you can afford for now, go for it. It is just a starting point.
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by franklingud(m): 11:53am On Oct 02, 2022
Please can a laptop be upgraded? I mean the processor and RAM.
The processor speed is Intel Pentium 1.1Ghz and the RAM is 4gb.
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by RepoMan007: 12:39pm On Oct 02, 2022
franklingud:
Please can a laptop be upgraded? I mean the processor and RAM.
The processor speed is Intel Pentium 1.1Ghz and the RAM is 4gb.
processor's speed is deceptive when used to guage its strength. Look out for the cache of the processor. If up to 2MB, you can rock some intermediate IDE on Win 7.
If up to 3MB better. Anything above 3MB is a excellent for virtually all client side applications out there.
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by truthCoder: 1:16pm On Oct 02, 2022
FahBuLous:
I want to fully start my journey in the tech world, I want to know if this system is compatible for programming before I buy it...

Thank you...

Your main issue with this laptop would be the screen size. 11 inches is small for learning programming. Most of your time would be spent sharing the screen between a youtube tutorial and your open IDE. How do you want to share 11 inches and be able to read text on youtube?

When you become good and dont need youtube, you would need your browser open as you code for liveserver....You need a bigger screen.

When you decide not to have your browser on the side, then you would need to divide your IDE into two halves for multi tasking....

If you dont mind switching windows, then you can try...but after one week, you would understand.

Get a 14 or 15 inch screen.

The next issue would be the RAM. Your 4gb RAM should be upgradeable or else you would get bogged down very soon with open applications.

Attached is a screenshot of my current workload. I have the following open:
VS Code for the NodeJs server i am currently building.
Firefox Developer Edition (one tab)
Orion Browser (4 tabs)
Safari Browser (18 tabs)
Microsoft Edge (1 tab)
Message app
Terminal
Twitter app
Whatsapp App
Postgres App
Mail App
Activity Monitor

Some processes (like stat etc) is running in the background and Lagbaja is singing on Spotify.

I am currently not running the client.

I am consuming around 70%+ of my 16gb RAM plus some swap memory.I also have over 4gb cached files in memory. You might say you dont need so much open at a time but believe me, 8gb is better than 4gb. 16gb is better than 8gb. etc

Leave the 4gb laptops to those who want to watch Netflix on the bed.

I would advise you sacrifice touchscreen if it would save you some more money and use it to get a more practical system. You really dont need touchscreen for now.

If it is a gift or the price is so low that it looks like a steal, then you can take it but have it in mind that you might want to sell as time progresses.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by emetisuccess(m): 8:37pm On Oct 03, 2022
List the laptop specifications, let me check something.
Re: Please Is This Laptop Good For Programming? by Deicide: 9:53pm On Oct 03, 2022
4GB ram you could do web development with it. But not on windows if you want enjoy that 4Gb ram small install Linux on it.

If you still wanna go with windows try windows 7.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Publish My Sites? / Mysql N Windows Vista / Java Programming For Dummies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.