Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,666 members, 7,820,341 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria (1041 Views)

UNN Sacks Professor Ugochukwu Uche Who Exposed Colleague’s Fraud- SR / Wole Soyinka’s Daughter Who’s A Professor Storms Covenant University (photos) / See What A Professor Told A Final Year Student To Do (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by beejaei: 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2011
Ok, so I am about to graduate with an engineering Phd from Carnegie Mellon University and a economics degree from Harvard. I am a patriotic Nigerian who believes that the way forward for Nigeria is for our best brains to come together and move the country forward. I want to contribute to that by returning to Nigeria and being a professor/researcher. However, in my memories of Nigeria, professors are paid poorly and there does not seem to be a research culture i.e. neither the government nor the private sector really invests in research. Are things still this way? What can I do to save my fatherland.
Re: Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by olawalebabs(m): 5:08pm On Aug 15, 2011
To tell you the truth, If you take a job in our university, you will be doing more of humanitarian job because the job is not that encouraging. but the fortunate one get appointment from the federal government and they are better off with that.
Re: Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 11:09pm On Sep 08, 2011
beejaei:

Ok, so I am about to graduate with an engineering Phd from Carnegie Mellon University and a economics degree from Harvard. I am a patriotic Nigerian who believes that the way forward for Nigeria is for our best brains to come together and move the country forward. I want to contribute to that by returning to Nigeria and being a professor/researcher. However, in my memories of Nigeria, professors are paid poorly and there does not seem to be a research culture i.e. neither the government nor the private sector really invests in research. Are things still this way? What can I do to save my fatherland.

Thought you weren't a 'foreign' grad. undecided wink grin

But seriously . . . why don't you get some experience and make some of that school investment back before you head back to Naija? With an engineering PhD, you should be able to get a teaching job somewhere out there. If you wanted to do research in Nigeria, there are agencies and institutions that carry out agricultural or medical research. Like IITA and NIOMR. If you want to get a position in one of the government research agencies like the space research or biotech agencies, you'd probably need some experience.

By the way
Re: Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by easydone: 9:48am On Mar 08, 2012
People, Please I need help here, anybody know of IITA Ibadan's recruitment process. I actually went for their interview (I met 4 other people for the same job) and about 48 hours later, one of the reference on my CV said he got a reference request for me from IITA. Does this mean I am being considered or is IITA doing the same reference request for the 4 other people I met at the interview?

Any other IITA views will be appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by lonamy: 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
easydone:

People, Please I need help here, anybody know of IITA Ibadan's recruitment process. I actually went for their interview (I met 4 other people for the same job) and about 48 hours later, one of the reference on my CV said he got a reference request for me from IITA. Does this mean I am being considered or is IITA doing the same reference request for the 4 other people I met at the interview?

Any other IITA views will be appreciated.
Thanks

If you believe that God can doit, go on your kneels and pray to God and the job will be yours.

Because, IITA will do reference request for other people and the best will be taken.
Mind you that other guys will equally employ some spiritual methods to contact God for favour.

If you don't mind you can go to this website to do some spiritual excercise
Re: Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by easydone: 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
@Lonamy: Thanks a lot. Ofcourse I've been praying on this ever since. Many thanks once again! I really appreciate.
Re: Where Can A Professor/researcher Get A Fulfilling Job In Nigeria by easydone: 4:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
@Lonamy: Thanks a lot. Ofcourse I've been praying on this ever since. Many thanks once again! I really appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any Other List For Unilag? / Government College Umuahia Old Boys / How I Was R_ped By My Teacher – A Nine-year-old Pupil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.