Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,055 members, 7,814,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says (1443 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by ednut1(m): 2:07pm On Oct 03, 2022
LONDON, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Britain has too many low-skilled migrant workers and very high numbers of international students, who often brought dependents with them, the country's new interior minister Suella Braverman said in an interview with The Sun on Sunday newspaper.

Braverman said new Prime Minister Liz Truss's government aimed to stick to a 2019 election pledge to lower net migration in an interview ahead of the ruling Conservative Party's annual conference.

Finance minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Sept. 23 that the government was looking to review immigration policy as part of an attempt to boost growth, following complaints from business groups that post-Brexit rules were too restrictive, especially for low-paid jobs.

However, Braverman said reducing migration was an aim shared by all of Truss's senior ministers.

"What we've got is too many low skilled workers coming into this country," she said. "We've also got a very high number of students coming into this country and we've got a really high number of dependents."

"Those people are coming here, they're not necessarily working or they're working in low-skilled jobs, and they're not contributing to growing our economy," she added.

Since January 2021, most workers must be paid at least 25,600 pounds ($28,570) a year for an employer to sponsor a visa, causing problems for employers in sectors such as agriculture, hospitality and some manufacturing, where lower wages are common.

Numbers of EU workers have fallen, but this has been offset by an increase in the number of non-EU workers, especially from India. Net migration to Britain totalled 239,000 in the year to June 2021, according to the most recent figures from the Office for National Statistics.

Braverman also said she wanted to restrict the ability of migrants to challenge deportation on the basis that they had been subjected to forced labour or human trafficking, known in Britain as "modern slavery".

($1 = 0.8961 pound)

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-has-too-many-low-skilled-migrants-interior-minister-2022-10-01/
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by ednut1(m): 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2022
Nigerians flocking the Uk with study visas beware o. It is better to go learn a skill that is on shortage list and get work permit to the UK.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by doggedfighter(f): 2:10pm On Oct 03, 2022
ednut1:
Nigerians flocking the Uk with study visa beware o. It is better to go learn a skill that is on shortage list and get work permit to the UK.

Shortage list skills like ?
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by ednut1(m): 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Munamoqel: 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2022
ednut1:
LONDON, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Britain has too many low-skilled migrant workers and very high numbers of international students, who often brought dependents with them, the country's new interior minister Suella Braverman said in an interview with The Sun on Sunday newspaper.

Braverman said new Prime Minister Liz Truss's government aimed to stick to a 2019 election pledge to lower net migration in an interview ahead of the ruling Conservative Party's annual conference.

Finance minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Sept. 23 that the government was looking to review immigration policy as part of an attempt to boost growth, following complaints from business groups that post-Brexit rules were too restrictive, especially for low-paid jobs.

However, Braverman said reducing migration was an aim shared by all of Truss's senior ministers.

"What we've got is too many low skilled workers coming into this country," she said. "We've also got a very high number of students coming into this country and we've got a really high number of dependents."

"Those people are coming here, they're not necessarily working or they're working in low-skilled jobs, and they're not contributing to growing our economy," she added.

Since January 2021, most workers must be paid at least 25,600 pounds ($28,570) a year for an employer to sponsor a visa, causing problems for employers in sectors such as agriculture, hospitality and some manufacturing, where lower wages are common.

Numbers of EU workers have fallen, but this has been offset by an increase in the number of non-EU workers, especially from India. Net migration to Britain totalled 239,000 in the year to June 2021, according to the most recent figures from the Office for National Statistics.

Braverman also said she wanted to restrict the ability of migrants to challenge deportation on the basis that they had been subjected to forced labour or human trafficking, known in Britain as "modern slavery".

($1 = 0.8961 pound)

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-has-too-many-low-skilled-migrants-interior-minister-2022-10-01/
Uk na advance scammers

7 Likes

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Plaitex(f): 3:53pm On Oct 03, 2022
Unserious people. After making it so difficult for professionals of series of years of experience to get a job in the country, all because their degrees are not tenable.
Meanwhile, health and IT international professionals degrees and skills are recognised in the same country.
Use and dump.
Did the Nurses and IT guys not finish from the same Nigeria? Telmabout shortage list cry

4 Likes

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by ObalendeCMS: 3:55pm On Oct 03, 2022
Munamoqel:
Uk na advance scammers
Very very advance.

1 Like

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Gerrard59(m): 5:31pm On Oct 03, 2022
Munamoqel:
Uk na advance scammers

I can imagine the joy in your heart when you read the article. grin
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Gerrard59(m): 5:33pm On Oct 03, 2022
A small economy that is not diversified yet abut to neighbours with poor economic growth rates. I am not surprised. BTW, the views from Kwasi and hers are confusing, which one should businesses believe? Also, is 25K pounds not low enough for businesses? How long should the government go?
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Munamoqel: 6:26pm On Oct 03, 2022
Gerrard59:

joy of saving life's and career from the British designed scam!.some days I will be remember and Honored like the pre colony leaders ! I hope you have Not just everything you owned to dive into teir 4
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by ASAPFERG1: 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2022
Thank god say I not get any family for scamming UK
USA na Baba ...
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by bfn1: 10:08pm On Oct 03, 2022
Gerrard59:
Lols! I got on the thread & started looking out for Munamoqel's comment(s).
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Munamoqel: 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2022
bfn1:

Lols! I got on the thread & started looking out for Munamoqel's comment(s).
sure saving Nigerians from falling for uk scams ! Canada and Australia are a bit more real .but uk na criminals .! From the cost of their visa you go know say UK na criminals .Visa 360 ,IHS 460 ,PSW 700 .
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Munamoqel: 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2022
ASAPFERG1:
Thank god say I not get any family for scamming UK
USA na Baba ...
USA , Australia,Canada =deal .Uk = use and dumb

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Bankowner: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2022
I really do not see why the UK should complain. Have they considered the amount of money the international students are bringing into the UK economy cutting across tuition fees, accommodation, feeding, transport, clothing etc?

And these students didn't come to study courses for low skill jobs so in the long run, it's still a win for the UK as long as there are jobs for them soon as they are done with their studies. Those temporarily engaged in the low skill jobs pay taxes too which goes into the coffers of the govt.
Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by ednut1(m): 12:16am On Oct 13, 2022
Bankowner:
I really do not see why the UK should complain. Have they considered the amount of money the international students are bringing into the UK economy cutting across tuition fees, accommodation, feeding, transport, clothing etc?

And these students didn't come to study courses for low skill jobs so in the long run, it's still a win for the UK as long as there are jobs for them soon as they are done with their studies. Those temporarily engaged in the low skill jobs pay taxes too which goes into the coffers of the govt.

Re: Britain Has 'too Many' Low-skilled Migrants, Interior Minister Says by Munamoqel: 8:45am On Oct 13, 2022
It[quote author=ednut1 post=117512414][/quote] there is current housing shortage and many kids cants find school space for there kids .I used to think oyinbo are smart where will this hostels and houses and primary school space to accommodate over 100,000 people that suddenly Landed. a Smart Nation will look at the volume of Empty houses , available school space ,health care space and jobs before allowing Mass influx . They can also issue visa to specific region only .like done in Australia . Yes we will.give you visa but you have to go to Wales or Northern Ireland . But uk Na criminals just after milking Nigerians and throwing them out !

(1) (Reply)

Hotel Reservations At Its Best Just 3,000 Naira / I Need Someone To Hook Up With Me / China Police Beat Nigerian To Death In Police Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.