Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? (463 Views)

Tinubu: I'll Dredge River Niger and develop Baro Port / #DirtyFight: Reno Omokri Writes Tinubu, Asks 8 Simple Questions / Maduka Vows To Dredge River Niger To Onitsha To Activate The Sea Port (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? by dapoRead: 4:31pm On Oct 04, 2022
When I arrived in the United States thirty years ago, I couldn’t call the US a new land.
It might be new to me, but it was not new to those who were born there.
But if the history of the United States were written by me, I would call the United States, “new land.”
That has been the experience of people in Africa.

The lands of their ancestors were declared “new land,” and open to anybody to take and possess.
In this strategy of dispossession and reallocation, history was rewritten,
People simply pretended that there was no existence before the arrival of the Europeans.
The colonial authorities established educational institutions to psychologically recondition the youths of the lands they colonized.

Let me use a personal experience.
The biggest river in the land where I was born is called Odo Oya by the Oodua (Yoruba) people living there.
The colonizers simply ignored the old name and renamed it River Niger.
Then they opened schools in which they taught the children of the colonized people that the “River Niger was discovered by Mungo Park.”
As a child, I was required to memorize this lie to be able to pass my exams.
How did all these things happen?
Why didn’t any of my teachers tell me it was just a lie?
Why?
Are these questions too complex to understand?
Could someone explain to me why my teachers taught me these lies?
What other lies did they ask me to memorize?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 04, 2022
I no understand
Re: Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 04, 2022
Have you been sleeping since morning?? Op ??
Re: Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? by Newfoundlove: 4:49pm On Oct 04, 2022
U got it wrong

He discovered the source not the river
Re: Odo Oya Or River Niger; Simple Questions? by dapoRead: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2022
Mirabella00:
I no understand
Which part of it don't you understand? Please elaborate.

Grgton:
Have you been sleeping since morning?? Op ??

How do you mean I have been sleeping since morning?
Newfoundlove:
U got it wrong

He discovered the source not the river

Is that the lie they told you and the reason they canceled the culture plus rename it River nonsense instead of its original name Odo Oya?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Staff Strength And Influence On Election outcome / Asari Dokubo, Reno Omokri Tackle Peter Obi, Ask Important Questions / More Than 600 People Died In Nigeria Due To The Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.