Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Opening A Gift Shop - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Opening A Gift Shop (8021 Views)

Hw Do I Start A Gift Shop / The Business Ideas Thread / Opening A Pharmacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opening A Gift Shop by nifex(f): 3:02pm On Aug 20, 2007
Hi all,

I am thinking of quiting my present job as a marketer and open a gift shop.

i need help on how to go about it and if there is anybody in the house that is into this.

thanks
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by Nobody: 1:42am On Aug 21, 2007
Success of such a venture will depend largely on the location - closest to the larger hotels, and tourist areas will be great for business. Remember, tourists WILL buy things the average native will regard as junk. It has novelty value for visitors.

I'm not sure what other similar shops are within the area you wish to base your business in, but it would matter little. Again, tourists are not likely to travel any great distance to get what they see as a bargain, so, a longer established shop say, 5 miles away is not likely to be a threat to your enterprise. Prices are a major factor though - African tourists MAY haggle, whilst the average European / American / Australian MAY just pay the asking price.

These are just the basics - you'll need to get sound advice from someone who knows the area / business better. You'll definitely need a business plan of sorts, and you'll need to work out where your stock'll come from, and what your mark up is likely to be.

Good luck, and stay safe.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by edeone(m): 7:29am On Aug 21, 2007
nifex:

Hi all,

i need help on how to go about it and if there is anybody in the house that is into this.

thanks

Well nice idea,but dont be too much of a hurry on this and quuiting ur Job? hell no,u have to be tactical on issues like dis ok,so first agther Gud information in regards wat u intend to do,its alway Good to have a business plan in this moden day of ours so do dat and look at the odds in it all,but dont go quiting ur job at the on set,u have to get things running first.

Well its all gud get ur act togather,there is noting like running ur own tin beleave me.

Gud luck.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by MP007(m): 8:13am On Aug 21, 2007
u showing signs of mid life crisis, hold on
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by nifex(f): 8:35am On Aug 21, 2007
@

sienna,

thanks for the advice would work with that
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by sambie(f): 9:13am On Aug 21, 2007
i think u should take it real slow.until u are sure it is a better option i dont think u should quit ur job.
a bird in hand is alwaya worth 2 in the bush.
next step,do a market survey be sure that the capital is there and that u wont start depending on your
profit immediately.in business,it is important that you ascertain ur profit most times.
it also has to be located at a strategic position.
my aunt owns a giftshop close to some halls and gardens used for weddings almost every w/end
so her business is pretty lucrative.when i look at her i want to own a gift shop but location again.note also that location must affect the target audience.these r the things i think majorly ve to be put into consideration.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by fesse(f): 1:54pm On Aug 21, 2007
@ poster,
location is the first thing you have to put into consideration.
a business plan
capital
determination.

Good luck
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by BabyGaddy(f): 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2007
nifex:

Hi all,

thanks

Nifex,

Nice one, congrats for taking this initiative, but remember that the beginner is not praised, its the finisher who is praised. Our end shall be greater than our beginnings!

Let me start by first saying, do not quit your job, thankfully u seem to be in naija where labour is somewhat cheap. I will start it as a hobby/ extra income / side kick etc business.

Secondly, what do u like, when u say gift shop, (its pretty huge) take a look at stop center in opebi. start small, finish big, start from something not only tourist would benefit from, but most importantly locals. remember that tourism has its season.

Start looking for where to source your products, u want something cheap (remember the average cost of living in naija), but u also dont want junk (ask God for wisodm here). U want things that would ultimately not tie your money down.

Also look at ways of getting to companies to offer gifts for their clients etc.

U have to do a LOT of research and be very confident. cos its not going to be easy. Try not to compromise, remember that ultimately, if u compromise, u will loose good customers and keep trash.

Example, an aunt sells undies in naija - i thot they were expensive, but she said to me, i only want to attract ladies who know wat it takes to wear a good bra. she is still in business and waxing stronger. Only people with ego for hand they branch her corner and they come in flocks.

So u will need to be able to make good judgements and I will not compromise.

You have to think about your location, it will determine alot, especially in naija where u could be stock in hold up for 4hrs, u may come up with an internet solution to dat and also delivery - then think about how u want to collect money from internet customers and how to deliver their goods securely. also gaining the trust of people to use ur website.

U have to be prepared to work like u have never before for next to nothing in the 1st 2years, yep! its harsh but its the truth. u will be working 2 jobs, getting paid for one and the one will ultimately be draining ur brain, time, sleep, energy, money etc.

Do you have kids / u married? U may want to start considering all these factors if u r, who will look after ur kids, how will u get quality time with ur family / friends?

Ultimately, when this gets going u will be very disciplined, time focus etc or u may loose out.

Its a nice idea and could be a nice break through if u think about it properly.

Have u thot about partnership? There a quiet a few naijas in diaspora here (this is what this forum shld be abt instead of the ajegunle war they have started grin

Speak with a few of them, i am currently in a similar partnership with a friend in naija, it wasnt easy and i had a few burnt attempts but God made a way finally, but i kept trying o!

Wish u all the best.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Opening A Gift Shop by Kamali(m): 3:08pm On Aug 21, 2007
You should also be thinking of a point of sale software that will help u manage inventory etc.
You can contact me for one if need be.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by idiat(f): 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2007
nifex,
i think you have to settle down and think about this project properly and i think you have to
put these points into consideration:

1 think about what you think you enjoying doing ,dont just jump into any type of  business

2 get a good location i mean accessible location with a good network of people
preferably working class people.

3 Before u do anything you have to put into consideration your initiial capital i.e
available funds.

4 the type of products you intend to sell that will match your capital

5 manpower and finally the accounting software to use e.g daceasy etc

6 be brave because it is a major task u are about to embark on
you could send a mail to me for more information.

Good luck
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by bimbliss(f): 6:18pm On Aug 21, 2007
kamali i beg i no go mind that ur software oh
u can contact me on bimbliss@yahoo.com
thanks
want to start my tailoring business toowith other sales outlet such as jewelry store, fabric store shoe and bag store and a salon incuded
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by bimbliss(f): 6:34pm On Aug 21, 2007
kamali i beg i no go mind that ur software oh
u can contact me on bimbliss@yahoo.com
thanks
want to start my tailoring business toowith other sales outlet such as jewelry store, fabric store shoe and bag store and a salon incuded
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by nifex(f): 8:25am On Aug 22, 2007
Thanks all for the advice.

I am not quiting my job not till i get the business started and grown up to when i can no longer continue my present job.

My major challenge now is the location and how to get the goods to buy. But i know by the time i get a very good location, every other thing would fall in place.

@
idiat & kamali i would get back to you on the pos machines.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by hola2ng(m): 12:49pm On Aug 23, 2007
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by naijacutee(f): 3:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
I think it's a wise decision of you not to quit your job just yet. It's true that there have been people who just got fed-up with their jobs and just went into business but then, every situation is unique. I'll advice you to first think through the whole idea.

A gift shop is an excellent idea, if (like others have mentioned) you're in the right place. With the christmas period coming close, I believe there's a major card-buying season - if not gift-buying season coming up. Even if you aren't focused on the christmas season to start your shop, people have birthdays every day of the year, so sales won't be a problem as long as you aren't stocking products which can be bought everywhere.

Location-wise, I believe you should look out for a place which is easily accessible. Think about what sort of customers you would be likely to get and how they would find you. If you wanted to buy a gift, who would it be for (Therefore, who are you likely to be?) People who regularly buy gifts would likely be : employed, young-ish, (in love maybe?  wink ), people with a strong network of friends (corporate people?) but I don't think this should be at all restrictive. Parents buy kids for their kids and spouses buy gifts for each other. Therefore, I think you will want to be located in a central location. For example, a place where people pass by to and from work, or inside a shopping mall. Inside a shopping mall, people are more likely to be prepared to spend money, therefore if you choose this option, you might want to stock more high-calibre gifts. On the other hand, if you decide to locate your store where people frequently pass by, you may want to stock lighter, and more affordable gifts e.g good quality cards and light gifts.

Stock-wise, I believe it would pay you a lot in the long run to look out for items with excellent quality, and items which cannot be bought from just anywhere. Such that when you fix your price, customers can't say "Oh, how come, when Mama Junior next door is selling it for Nxx". Instead, they'll be thinking "Is this worth it?" Chances are that if you're giving someone a gift and you have a rough idea of what sort of things they like, you haven't got very many options as each human being is different. Therefore, using that mentality on your customers, you'll find that people would be willing to spend a little extra, just for that special occasion, as it doesn't come by everyday.

I think I might be able to help you with stock acquisition. I can hook you up with someone I know who exports/sells cards and gifts in wholesale quantities for purposes like yours. If you want their details, send me an e-mail through the address on my profile.

1 Like

Re: Opening A Gift Shop by recruiter1: 1:50am On Sep 07, 2007
Hi poster,

u've already gotten great advice from everyone that's posted. Nice work yáll'.
Just wanted to add this. U nid to have a vision for your shop. If it's only about making money it will just end up as one of the shops we just see by the side of the road all over Lagos and other big cities.

You need to be able to see the end from the beginning. Meaning you can start small but you know how big you have to get and that's what drives you to achieve even more and more with the shop. You also need to identify what makes your shop different from other stores (is it ur products, customer experience, size, range, what exactly differentiates u?) so you know and promote the store's Unique Selling Point. Most Naija organisations can't do this and that's why most of em don't last more than a few years before folding up.

But all said and done if you can identify how your shop is going to be special and u r sure this is what you really wanna do then GO FOR IT!

Re: Opening A Gift Shop by bolorunfem(f): 11:18am On Sep 07, 2007
@Poster,
Nice contributions so far. My own little piece is that u have adequate planning like some others have said. I lost my job and I thot time was ripe for me to start my own biz. Of course I had money (or thought I did). Without proper planning I launched into video game business which crashed in months. Now I ve started working again to recoup finance for future business, of course after prrrrrrrrrroper planning. A word is enough for the wise. All d best.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by ogogoro: 6:24pm On Sep 07, 2007
I can help out with acquisition of quality stock like the ones below. (If that's the sort of thing you're after)

Re: Opening A Gift Shop by deemax: 3:25pm On Apr 20, 2008
OGOGORO,
PLS SEND MORE DETAIL TO MY BOX(WITH YOUR CONTACT INFO)
aligacp@yahoo.com
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by abujabooks(f): 2:20pm On May 02, 2008
You can also sell things like kettles, irons, deep fat fryer, rice cooker, small household appliances. These are things that will sell all year round.

To your success.

1 Like

Re: Opening A Gift Shop by lilshortym: 11:47am On Mar 01, 2010
@ OGOGORO

PLEASE SEND KINDLY SEND CONTACT DETAIL TO toppydot@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by onoerime: 9:02am On Nov 04, 2010
for those of your looking for a software to manage your business. Microsoft excel can do it for you. I have been using it to manage my various shops scattered over lagos. Just take a case study of it and be relax in your business. However if you are confused about it there is video tutorial for it. Email me at evanvick@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by zesohe: 11:07am On Oct 04, 2011
ogogoro hw do we get in touch?? pls call send me a mail - nehizena1477@yahoo.com with pics of more gifts do you sell retail too? very interested pls
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by TICTRADEUK: 11:34am On Oct 05, 2011
I think electrical appliances is a good idea,
I have stock of customer return goods which we sell at a low price which enables you to retrieve a good profit.

Large percentage of our goods come in the original packaging - looks great on shelves.

Please let me know if you would like mjore information.
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by SomtochukwuShop: 10:41am On Mar 06, 2021
Somtochukwu Shop is an online shop that provide premium items for the clasyy female.

Visit www.instagram.com/somtochukwushop or also call us on 08061388655

Web: www.somtochukwu.com.ng/shop
Re: Opening A Gift Shop by M6ix: 12:25pm On Apr 06, 2023
nifex:
Hi all,

thanks

how is going? did you eventually open one? Just came across this while researching on the same issue. Any word will be appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

MTN Nigeria Recharge Card Now Has 16-digits / A Must Read For Anyone That Wants To Invest His Or Her Money Any Where / Egg Supply Business Is far more Lucrative than Banking Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.