Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,830 members, 7,862,731 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:00 AM

The Abc Of Hiv/aids - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Abc Of Hiv/aids (771 Views)

In The Murky Waters Of Hiv Thrives The Nigerian ‘aristos’ Or ‘runs Girls’ / Abc's Of Jihad. Terrorist School Books For Pupils, Made In The USA / Why Are U Scared Of Knowing Ur Hiv/aids Status? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Abc Of Hiv/aids by eyesofgold(m): 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2011
Hi Nairalanders,

I am biomedical scientist, and i am currently doing a masters of science in public health in the UK. I am in the process of writing my dissertation on HIV/AIDS in sub-Sahara Africa, it amazes me that despite the fact that most people in this region including our dear Nigeria know about HIV, only a few truly understand the basics of the disease (modes of tranmission, prevention strategies, e.t.c). I will like to entertain questions about HIV/AIDS from anyone. Throw out your questions about this disease as well as other public health challenges you can think of and let's see how we can enlighten our sleves.

NB. There can be no economic growth when the population is SICK,
Re: The Abc Of Hiv/aids by olawalebabs(m): 11:13am On Aug 17, 2011
I learnt The HIV virus can't survive hot temperature? then lets look at this scenario, how is it possible to get the virus through a contaminated clipper, after the virus must have outside.
Re: The Abc Of Hiv/aids by eyesofgold(m): 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2011
it is true that HIV virus cannot survive for long outside it's host, and it cannot also survive for long in the presence of Oxygen, Some studies have reported that HIV can survive for days in syringes and needles as enough blood might collect on them, which might keep the virus active. This can also be the case for clippers, but at the moment, there are not enough studies on HIV and clippers.

However, the chances of contracting HIV from clippers are very low, but it is a possibility. So, to be on a safer side, it is advisable that you have your own clipper.
Re: The Abc Of Hiv/aids by olawalebabs(m): 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2011
That's a good answer.
Another question is i heard it some years ago that, immediately one contacted HIV, the person will have some sort of malaria or typhoid fever, is it true?
Re: The Abc Of Hiv/aids by eyesofgold(m): 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2011
Good question,

In some cases, a newly infected person might have such malaria or typhoid like symptoms, and sometimes these sypmtoms might not appear even while the person must have been infected.

Mind you, having these sypmtoms does not mean the person is definitely infected with HIV as other sexually transmitted diseases and other bacterial infections can cause these sypmtoms. So the only way to be sure of one's HIV status is by going for a TEST

(1) (Reply)

I Am New Here, And Happy To Be Part Of This Site / Government Intervention On Street Cultism In Ojo / Why Die In Silence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.