Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Workplace Marginalization - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Workplace Marginalization (522 Views)

4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Workplace Marginalization by SeiKen: 9:35pm On Oct 06, 2022
Dear Nairalanders,
I hope my writeup meet everyone of you in the best frame of mind. This may likely be a long read but I implore every well meaning individual on here to read through and advice me duly. I'm in a very dicey situation in my place of work at the moment and have decided to share with you guys here for your genuine contributions and input.
I happen to find myself working for a fast-growing transportation company since 2017 (Immediately after NYSC). I started from the very lowest cadres but was fortunate to have been promoted to the position of an assistant manager at one of the most vibrant branches of the company after two and half years in the company. This was after working with the monitoring/Patrol team Unit (whereby we stand along the road to monitor the company's vehicles like olopa/police guys) for 18 months.
One of the first things I discovered when I first came here is that the manager (who happens to be my director's brother-in-law) sees the branch as his fiefdom and entity and frowns at any given sign of "disobedience" or "negligence" from staff and workers including those at the head office and has remained at loggerheads with the company's General Manager. However, he's had a lot of issues with our director too and was almost sacked January this year for financial misappropriation and took the intervention of our Oga's wife and other high profile individuals for him to be restored fully to work. During this time, we (My manager, myself and his cousin (the one causing commotion between us right now) had to work overnight rewriting, altering and editing the records of the branch's work for the period because our director had ordered them to be submitted the next morning.
Back to why I'm here now,. My manager employed two of his cousins as loaders in our park. The eldest one was here when I came but the second guy came about a year and half ago and has become a torn in my flesh. He doesn't listen to my orders and has continued to disprove everything I say. He's older than I am and has told me to my face that I'm a small boy. So, the tension came to its climax on 4/8/022.
It happened that the company bought a new space some few metres away from the main depot and we were mandated to make sure the place work. Therefore, we supposed to be loading passengers over there as well as at the main park. This, after discussing with my manager, he made it known that he's not ready to do anything there, that it falls within my office to organize and make it work. I then shared days upon which the male workers would go there for the week. Every other worker went on their assigned dates but this guy refused to go and when I asked him, he told me that he will go on Thursday, the day came and he told me that he will go there tomorrow and gave me the excuse that he needs to hustle and settle a very urgent issue that he will go there on Friday, I obliged him. Then on Friday when I asked him about going to work at the new site, he told me that my manager asked him to be recording name of our workers and also to be collecting money from drivers for the loads they are carrying. I was flabagasted. I then asked him why and how would the manager give you such responsibilities when I'm still there and that I'm not going to let him do that in this depot . He then responded by saying that he's telling him that the manager said this and I'm saying otherwise. Let me add that he lives with the manager and runs errands for him as the latter is separated from his wife at the moment.
I became enraged and forcefully told him that it's because I've been keeping quiet for so long that anybody would think they coukd do shit with me and go Free, that I'm never gonna keep quiet any more, that I was sent here by our director and is nobody's boy or something. While we were shouting, the manager came out and stood aside listening to all I was saying, he didn't utter any word nor ask me what was happening.
Then, the evening of that day, he called the eldest of his cousins to assume the work I have always done since I came here. We call the work EVENING WORK; proceeds from this work after 6:00pm is shared between the manager his assistant and any other senior staff-this has been the practice since time immemorial but my manger has been eating the money alone since that day he forcefully installed his cousin to be doing the job.
Before then, he called one of our managers in another branch and told him that I gathered our drivers and was threatening him, something I never did. The other manager came in the evening of that day and asked me to go beg him, I asked him for what ? That I wasn't talking to him. I had expected him to come ask me what the problem was and he didn't only to strip me of my duties because he feels I can't do nothing.
I left him without an approach for more than three weeks but they kept pressuring that I go to him and apologize. He then said he didn't wanna see me around his office, thus, I went to report him to his friend who asked me if I was employed by him or our director. I told him that I was sent by our director. He promised to talk to him and told me that my manager's making a mistake if all I told him was true. Well, he came to the park and I was summoned with one of my driver friends who literally lives with me.
At the end, they blamed me for not waiting for the manager to come around before my outburst and I apologized for that. I said a remorseless "I'M SORRY" just for its sake. Well, my manager gave me the condition that before I start the evening work again, I must give him the proceeds from June and July. I reminded him that he already asked me and I told him that we didn't make anything because of the rains and that things were too dull then and he had accepted my explanations. He disagreed there and then. Thus, I went and withdrew 100k plus and he collected the money and gave me my share, the normal process we've been doing it before, this happened around September 10th or thereabouts.
Well, till now, this man has still not let me do that work. I've met him twice and he said I should wait. He's successful stripped me of my means of earning money and has given same to his cousin.
My people, I've been waiting since then till today 6/10/2022 but this man has not said anything. There's enormous pressure on me now to involve our director. My manager barely comes to the park. I do literally everything. I work 7 days a week, I don't have any official time to rest, I am expected to be at the park by at least 4:30 Am every day. He just comes, does accounts and gimme the money to go to the bank (he actually stopped me from going to the bank for few weeks after the incident but started sending me again).
I just don't want any problems with anybody. These guy has a history of falling out with his juniors. The guy that was here before me carried out his orders until he ran into problems and was sacked by our director and he never did anything to save him.
He's gone about telling people that I had the effontery to buy a plot of land without letting him know. That I'm feeling pompous and big, that he will make sure I'm sacked from my position. This is someone that has been pressuring me to marry (I'm 31 though). But he's suddenly become jealous of my progress. I bought the said plot for 2.8m, didn't see any reason to let him know because I'm a man too. He also said I bought a land in the capital of the state where we work now, but it is false. But I've got other investments worth 5m and above.
My Nairaland people my director's not a bad person. We all are from same clan, he prides himself in seeing people that work for him succeed and have been asking to know my achievements since he sent me here. He's also asked me to go get married but I swore never to do so until I'm done with my Masters which would have been completed if not for the lingering ASUU STRIKE.
My patience is running low and I want to know if I should talk to my boss about this. The only person that have been able to keep me from doing so is that other manager he had called to complain about me gathering drivers to threaten him and he's also been frustrated and disappointed that this matter is still on till now.
My dad's almost bedridden and the burden have been on my shoulders and he's aware of my family's situation but has chosen to remain adamant.
This guy has two duplexes, has built a house in the village with litanies of other empty plots both in the village and here in the city. Why has he become so wicked. I'm just afraid of being harmed one way or the other if I report him to our boss and win the case there. Whether through physical or spiritual realm. I'm not even that religious, and have never gone to any herbalist all my life. I have a bright future to begin to jostle and fight with these guys.
Kindly advice me please.
Spare my grammatical errors please, I'm not psychologically alright now.
Mods please help me make this reach a larger audience please.
@Mukina2
@CrazyMan
@1forall
@Ifyalways
Re: Workplace Marginalization by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:00am On Oct 08, 2022
Why are you delaying involving your director

If that manager happens to make any report before you, just know that you're gone, and the other guy telling you not to escalate to the director yet won't be able to help you out.
Re: Workplace Marginalization by SeiKen: 5:00pm On Oct 13, 2022
ChybuzzDD:
Why are you delaying involving your director

If that manager happens to make any report before you, just know that you're gone, and the other guy telling you not to escalate to the director yet won't be able to help you out.

Sorry for the late response bro,..I will definitely involve my Boss/Director. I'm just trying to solve this amicably in the most peaceful way possible. I've decided to wait yet again for the month of October to come to an end before officially telling him. My manager CANNOT sack me and I tell you this because I'm in the good books of our director and he's aware about the way our work goes here. And again, I did not commit any crime in any way or form so...
Thanks
Re: Workplace Marginalization by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:40am On Oct 14, 2022
SeiKen:

Sorry for the late response bro,..I will definitely involve my Boss/Director. I'm just trying to solve this amicably in the most peaceful way possible. I've decided to wait yet again for the month of October to come to an end before officially telling him. My manager CANNOT sack me and I tell you this because I'm in the good books of our director and he's aware about the way our work goes here. And again, I did not commit any crime in any way or form so...
Thanks

Alright, no wahala, as long as the bolded holds true.
Re: Workplace Marginalization by SeiKen: 7:45pm On Oct 14, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Alright, no wahala, as long as the bolded holds true.
Thanks man,..Who and who am I to tag for wider audience and input embarassed.
I sincerely need people to look into my situation and advice me properly.
Re: Workplace Marginalization by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:55am On Oct 15, 2022
SeiKen:

Thanks man,..Who and who am I to tag for wider audience and input embarassed.
I sincerely need people to look into my situation and advice me properly.

You can tag the Mods and see if they can move it to the front page
Re: Workplace Marginalization by ecolime(m): 8:13am On Oct 15, 2022
This your story long oo

Key thing I took out is there is money on structured transport companies. I've always known this anyway.

Trust me, your director can't sack him because of you. The guy is not happy you've not been settling him knowing that you made coolnthough from evening work. Na wetin make him put his cousin there be that.

Also, don't ever tell work colleagues about your achievements outside of work. It's a NO-NO. Work colleagues are never your friend. Na work join una today. Know this and know peace.

You brought the envy upon yourself.

Lastly, your Boss is your boss. Humble yourself and keep warming yourself up to him. Learn to massage egos without asslicking. It's workplace politics. Emotional intelligence is needed to survive and excel in such environments.

(1) (Reply)

Getting A Job With Ease. / Urgently Need A Website Developer / Programmer / Please,i Need Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.