Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor (3228 Views)

Three Ways For Relocating To Canada By 2023 / Graduated 2016. It's 7 years already / Top 7 Jobs That Didn’t Exist 10 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by SMJay: 10:33am On Oct 07, 2022
7 years ago I relocated to Canada ��

This month makes it 7 years since I arrived Canada from Nigeria.

I still remember almost missing my first flight to Canada. (Picture on the left)

This would be my first time on an airplane. �

You can imagine the tension of being on the plane for the first time and you are going to be on the plane for almost a day.

I had just resigned from a job I was beginning to enjoy.

Dropped out of a Masters program.

With 3 bags (2 in the picture), anxiety mixed with excitement and a dream. I embarked on what has been an amazing journey.

I remember the uncertainty in my Dad's face when we drove to the airport that day. I wonder how he summoned the courage to take this picture.

As I reflect today, here are lessons I have learnt along the way:

1. In your career journey, you will wear many hats, each hat is a key part in the process of who you are becoming.

2. Your journey will be filled with ups and downs, don't give up, don't settle. You may start small, but don't stay small.

3. Don't underestimate your worth no matter what job you may be doing now. You're worth more than you realize.

4. To go up, you must, keep looking up, speaking up, and showing up.

5. Surround yourself with people who want growth in their life as much as you do. Association is key.

6. Resist the urge to self-sabotage. You matter, your story matter, your voice matter. Share your story.

7. Not every experience is a good teacher. Be careful of the advise you receive. You may end up repeating other people's negative experiences.

8. If you know better, you will do better. Go for knowledge. Make learning a lifestyle. Invest in your personal brand.

9. Seek to add value to others, whereever you are. You are gradually increasing your value by doing so.

10. Be visible, shine the light on your good works. Who knows what you know is as important as what you know.

11. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. Growth comes from doing the unfamiliar.

12. Your gift will make room for you. Put your gift and talent to use. Make your passion practical.

13. Pace yourself, don't be pressured by someone else's timeline. Your journey is different.

14. Position yourself for progress. Success is often location sensitive. You have to go where you can grow, and move where you can improve.

15. Pay attention to your finance. Make a budget. ⬆️ Income > expenses ⬇️. Don't go broke trying to look rich. It's your life. Make sapa no go visit you o �

16. Be grateful for where you are. You are not where you used to be.

17. God is too faithful to fail.

Which of the above lessons resonates with you? ��

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by decatalyst(m): 10:52am On Oct 07, 2022
Make I sit fess

3 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Oyindamolah: 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2022
Thank you for this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by deekseen(m): 1:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
SMJay:

Great lessons. Valuable too.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by deekseen(m): 1:57pm On Oct 07, 2022
SMJay:

I still remember almost missing my first flight to Canada. (Picture on the left)

Where is the picture?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Rubyjade: 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
Valuable tips
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by SpiritFree: 7:39pm On Oct 07, 2022
God bless you for this.
To the top.

1 Like

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Arinze624: 8:32pm On Oct 07, 2022
I could reminisce my first day on board the plane, what a beauty.
Listen more × say less.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by OkCornel(m): 8:46pm On Oct 07, 2022
Valuable points here @SMJay

The following resonates with me;

5. Surround yourself with people who want growth in their life as much as you do. Association is key

7. Not every experience is a good teacher. Be careful of the advise you receive. You may end up repeating other people's negative experiences.

8. If you know better, you will do better. Go for knowledge. Make learning a lifestyle. Invest in your personal brand.

9. Seek to add value to others, whereever you are. You are gradually increasing your value by doing so.

10. Be visible, shine the light on your good works. Who knows what you know is as important as what you know.

11. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. Growth comes from doing the unfamiliar.

12. Your gift will make room for you. Put your gift and talent to use. Make your passion practical.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by padi94(m): 7:26am On Oct 08, 2022
Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by franchasofficia: 8:05am On Oct 08, 2022
SMJay:
7 years ago I relocated to Canada ��

This month makes it 7 years since I arrived Canada from Nigeria.

This would be my first time on an airplane. �

You can imagine the tension of being on the plane for the first time and you are going to be on the plane for almost a day.

I had just resigned from a job I was beginning to enjoy.

Dropped out of a Masters program.

With 3 bags (2 in the picture), anxiety mixed with excitement and a dream. I embarked on what has been an amazing journey.

I remember the uncertainty in my Dad's face when we drove to the airport that day. I wonder how he summoned the courage to take this picture.

1. In your career journey, you will wear many hats, each hat is a key part in the process of who you are becoming.

2. Your journey will be filled with ups and downs, don't give up, don't settle. You may start small, but don't stay small.

3. Don't underestimate your worth no matter what job you may be doing now. You're worth more than you realize.

4. To go up, you must, keep looking up, speaking up, and showing up.

5. Surround yourself with people who want growth in their life as much as you do. Association is key.

6. Resist the urge to self-sabotage. You matter, your story matter, your voice matter. Share your story.

13. Pace yourself, don't be pressured by someone else's timeline. Your journey is different.

14. Position yourself for progress. Success is often location sensitive. You have to go where you can grow, and move where you can improve.

15. Pay attention to your finance. Make a budget. ⬆️ Income > expenses ⬇️. Don't go broke trying to look rich. It's your life. Make sapa no go visit you o �

16. Be grateful for where you are. You are not where you used to be.

17. God is too faithful to fail.

Which of the above lessons resonates with you? ��
Listen Emeka or whatever your name is, you better STF cos you ended up giving people no advice, just the usual motivational speaking gibberish.

Tell young Nigerians the nature of your job in Nigeria before u resigned and left, how much you were earning back in Nigeria and the job u are doing in Canada now and how much u are earning in Canada now.

Tell young Nigerians whether it is worth taking the risk you took resigning from your job in Nigeria and migrating abroad.

Tell Nigerians some of the greatest challenges and disadvantages you are facing in Canada compared to when you were in Nigeria.

Tell young Nigerians the greatest advantages you believe should make them take same risk or similar steo you took. These are the things that can guide and motivate them not telling useless motivational speaking bullshyyt Nigerians use to hide their misery angry

12 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Threesha(f): 8:09am On Oct 08, 2022
shocked
franchasofficia:
Listen Emeka or whatever your name is, you better STF cos you ended up giving people no advice, just the usual motivational speaking gibberish.

Tell young Nigerians the nature of your job in Nigeria before u resigned and left, how much you were earning back in Nigeria and the job u are doing in Canada now and how much u are earning in Canada now.

Tell young Nigerians whether it is worth taking the risk you took resigning from your job in Nigeria and migrating abroad.

Tell Nigerians some of the greatest challenges and disadvantages you are facing in Canada compared to when you were in Nigeria.

Not telling useless motivational speaking bullshyyt Nigerians use to hide their misery angry
why this harsh comment?
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by franchasofficia: 8:15am On Oct 08, 2022
Threesha:
shocked why this harsh comment?
Lolz

I don't like nonsense cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Threesha(f): 8:19am On Oct 08, 2022
It's funny how you make sure comment and say you don't like nonsense but made sense with some people
franchasofficia:
Lolz

I don't like nonsense cheesy
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by franchasofficia: 8:33am On Oct 08, 2022
Threesha:
It's funny how you make sure comment and say you don't like nonsense but made sense with some people
lol
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Ekpekus(m): 8:53am On Oct 08, 2022
deekseen:

Where is the picture?
grin grin grin na only that one you see to ask abi? Okokobioko
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Ekpekus(m): 8:54am On Oct 08, 2022
Arinze624:
I could reminisce my first day on board the plane, what a beauty.
Listen more × say less.
And observe more with your eyes wide open... there is ALWAYS something to learn.

1 Like

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by wonder233: 8:58am On Oct 08, 2022
Best comment ever!!!
franchasofficia:

Tell young Nigerians the greatest advantages you believe should make them take same risk or similar steo you took. These are the things that can guide and motivate them not telling useless motivational speaking bullshyyt Nigerians use to hide their misery angry
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by wonder233: 9:03am On Oct 08, 2022
They will leave good paying jobs in Nigeria and surrender their life savings to the foreign economies, then settle to a life of mediocrity in a system that deliberately reduces them to such by refusing to recognise their education and past work experience. After the euphoria of taking pictures in the snow has expired, they realize they made the worst decision ever. But because they don't want to lose face, they resort to vague motivational gibberish further deceiving the gullible bandwagoners hoping to join them
franchasofficia:

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by SMJay: 6:05pm On Oct 17, 2022
wink
Oyindamolah:
Thank you for this.
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by LIVINGICONREBOR: 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2022
These contain some hardcore nuggets of wisdom.
Nice one. sad
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Threesha(f): 9:18pm On Oct 17, 2022
wonder233:
They will leave good paying jobs in Nigeria and surrender their life savings to the foreign economies, then settle to a life of mediocrity in a system that deliberately reduces them to such by refusing to recognise their education and past work experience. After the euphoria of taking pictures in the snow has expired, they realize they made the worst decision ever. But because they don't want to lose face, they resort to vague motivational gibberish further deceiving the gullible bandwagoners hoping to join them
Share your experience so we can learn from you.

1 Like

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Threesha(f): 10:58am On Oct 18, 2022
REALITY CHECK!!!

You have not 'Japa-ed', you traveled for Further Studies..

This is the Japa Season and the easiest route is the Education Route where people travel for Masters, PhD, etc.

This post is not to discourage people, but to highlight challenges ahead and how to navigate them.

Do not get sucked into badmouthing Nigeria once you travel. If you know you don't want to return, this is the time to work towards it. Time flies by quickly, else, you may likely return.

I am writing from experience. I did my MBA in the UK. There's a big difference between traveling abroad on holidays and living there ~ You'll pay rent, gas, electricity, feeding, etc.

Imagine you who used to drive cars in Nigeria suddenly start trekking all over the UK, jumping buses, etc. What about the mood swings that come from a lack of Vitamin D? The sun we take for granted here, you'll start buying Vitamin D else you'll struggle with sleeplessness, illness, hair loss, fatigue, and depression.

Back to obtaining your Stay or Permanent Residence (PR). On Program completion, you need to get a job, get paid a minimum salary to qualify, and the company has to apply for you. Not every company has the right to apply for you. Most companies prefer someone who has a PR already or who's a citizen. You have to target big companies like Shell, BP, etc.

If you cannot get a job that meets those conditions, you'll have to return home on expiration of your visa. Hence, you must have a Plan B..

Target to emigrate to Canada, US, or Australia from the UK ~ Apply for and take your IELTS, put in the application from there.

For the married ones, Oga can start the Program first and if no job and visa is about to expire, madam should then apply for her Masters to give you guys another 3 years to keep hustling for PR. Once madam's time is coming to an end, consider PhD. Hopefully, you guys would have qualified for PR by then. It will involve a lot of sacrifice, money and planning.

Time flies by so fast and you have to stay on your plan, else, in 3-4 years' time, there will be a mass return of broke, depressed, and unfulfilled Nigerians after their Study.

Some things to put in mind:

1. Some things are skewed against you. You have to swim against the tide. It will be difficult to get a 9-5 because you're only allowed 20hrs/week to work while studying.

2. You'll be unnecessarily emotional. Things will easily get to you, you'll miss home, you'll have mood swings, etc.

3. Stay within the law. Some of the things we take for granted here can get you into jail.

4. NO means NO. Here, NO doesn't mean try harder or keep pushing. Once you hear, NO, please stop, whether it is a relationship, friendship, etc. If not, you might get into jail.

5. Above all, pray to God for guidance and direction.

Good luck !!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Klass99(f): 6:02pm On Oct 18, 2022
smiley

1 Like

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by vinceyinnovation: 6:28pm On Oct 18, 2022
Another important lesson

Do not sell ebook after all this info or give us a link to affiliate marketing course in this thread that helped you japa

This one I no see pix yet make e no be so....
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Rubyjade: 9:00pm On Oct 18, 2022
My Uncle who is landlord in Nigeria, japped they only gave him 2 month accommodation, his currently struggling to get an apartment as I type the cheapest is £900-1000 right now

For now, i personally do not want to japa.

This however, does not mean I have anything against those leaving the country for a better life.

Its okay to leave, especially if you have a strong conviction that leaving will be a gateway to a better life.

The truth is, not everybody who leaves will succeed and not everybody who stays will suffer.

Its all a function of what you do with the resources available to you. If you plan well and put your resources to good use, in Nigeria or outside Nigeria. You will succeed!! If you don't you will fail, even if you are outside Nigeria.

Not everybody will japa, for some of us who will remain here. The goal should be to plan well and put to good use all the resources available to us.

The grass is not always greener at the other side o. Even those wey japa dey hustle o....

No go japa without a proper plan!!!

1 Like

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Oyindamolah: 8:52am On Oct 19, 2022
Rita Orji, PhD
Prof. of Computer Sci
�Canada Research Chair
�Top 150 Canadian Women in STEM
�Canada's Top 100 Most Powerful Women
�Member of Royal Society of Canada
�STEM Diversity Amb
�Linkedin Top Voice
� "contact.ritaorji@gmail.com"

I came with a First-Class Honours in Computer Sci & was one of the best-graduated students, nevertheless, people kept asking, how did you make it here?

I also heard:

'Africans haven't succeeded here'

'We know you made a first-class in Nigeria but things are different here'

Happy to say this with all humility:

That my First-Class Honours result from Nigeria remains my worst result so far.

All my results from abroad are way better!

Thank you for challenging me and my God!

Learn to make their stones a stepping stone.

Had a sober reflection this morning on my journey and God's faithfulness.

I wouldn't be here if not for the strong and mighty hands of God in my life.

Just a grateful heart!

That small girl you helped has come to say THANK YOU LORD!

We dey smart, na opportunity we no get. #PidginEnglish

#RitaOrjiDiary
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by SMJay: 10:46am On Oct 22, 2022
franchasofficia:

My first full time job after arriving Canada in 2015.

Just take a look at that helmet �

After submitting hundreds of applications, I got an inventory clerk job in 2016, where I almost lost my fingers to frost bite at -48°C ❄

Finally landed a store clerk job in a retail company in 2016.

Promoted to an Assistant Manager in 24months.

Enrolled in a HR certificate program at SFU in 2017.

I became a permanent resident in 2017

Graduated from SFU in 2018.

I became a board member for a non-profit in Canada in 2018.

Landed an independent contract gig, tripled my pay in 2018.

Started a masters program at the University of Regina in 2019

Been laid off twice in 2016 & 2020.

Was on EI for months, almost considered quitting my masters program.

Got my first international speaking engagement in 2020.

Graduated from my Masters at UofR in 2021 with zero debt/loan.

Became a Canadian Citizen in 2021 ��

To the new immigrant, here are few lessons to take to heart:

1. Your career is what you make of it. Don't be limited by your degree. Explore other areas of interest that fits into your bigger picture.

2. Embrace the process, don't let anyone make you despise your little beginning.

3. In all thy getting get understanding. Seek understanding like your life depends on it. Understanding helps you stand in the days of adversity.

4. Resist the urge to self-sabotage. You matter, your experience matter. Submit that application even when you don't feel qualified.

5. Don't think twice about investing in yourself. Your personal development comes with a huge ROI.

6. Share your story. The challenges you face and the triumphs is not to serve you alone, use it to guide and inspire others.

7. What got you here, won't take you there, keep learning. There is a price to pay for the next level.

8. Be bold to take up new challenges. Physical growth happens by default, personal and professional growth happens by demand. Ask for growth opportunities, go for what you believe would bring advancement.

9. Keep pushing, no matter what! Don't give up.

10. God is good, all the time.

We don't look like what we have been through.

Which of the above lessons resonates with you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by IyaTola: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2022
One of my clients told me that a major issue people face in the UK is depression and I wondered why it is like that as at when she told me.

I think I have come to see why it is easy for people to be depressed here and I think much about it is not being said.

I have even come to see why people over work themselves to fill in the void of friendship, companionship and other emotional lack.

While we plan to leave our home country and move down here (either the UK, US, Canada, Australia, anywhere that isn't home) it is also very important to put your mental well-being into consideration.

It is easier to say "no be friends I come do here"

Or "I came here to make money" but really man is not an island.

This is why I will always encourage connecting with as many people you can connect with as you plan your travel journey. You will need them. When it feels like you are drowning in emotions and realities you do not understand you can always run to them if you are in the same city or not far from each other.

If you are traveling to a place where you know no one then your family back home should be no joke to you.
When it gets overwhelming you can call them via WhatsApp and cry, talk, anything and then you'll be fine.

I have lost times of the times I have cried since I got here and talking to my family has been helping me a lot to feel better.

My house has also become a place for some Nigerian Students to come and cry because everyone is overwhelmed with different situations here.

Trying to settle in a country where you have no one and support is no joke and I am thankful we have each other at least.

A particular Lady has been stuck trying to get accommodation for her family who are all coming in this weekend and the processes and conditions have not made it easy. I have dried my own tears so many times to console her and it hasn't been easy.

Everyone is struggling with different situations and I just tell myself that I am not alone in this struggle.

I do not lie when I say I wish my parents and siblings are here. I have never lived away from my family maybe that's why I miss them so much.

A lot of people back home just assume you are all 'balling' since you are in the UK and few of them actually check up on you to know how you are.

Now I am wondering "What if I don't have Uche here?"

"What if I am the only Nigerian here?"

Mariam woke me up with a call to ask what I want to eat and I am reminded again that I am not alone.

What of those without any kind of support?
How are they coping?

At this point I think I'll advise you to choose schools where you know anyone, just anyone or where you are likely to meet Nigerians like you.

I don't know, just put your total wellbeing into consideration as you are making plans else you'll get here and get lost.

Remember, this is not to scare you but to prepare your mind.

Good morning!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by SMJay: 11:42pm On Dec 16, 2022
Rubyjade:
My Uncle who is landlord in Nigeria, japped they only gave him 2 month accommodation, his currently struggling to get an apartment as I type the cheapest is £900-1000 right now

For now, i personally do not want to japa.

This however, does not mean I have anything against those leaving the country for a better life.

Its okay to leave, especially if you have a strong conviction that leaving will be a gateway to a better life.

The truth is, not everybody who leaves will succeed and not everybody who stays will suffer.

Its all a function of what you do with the resources available to you. If you plan well and put your resources to good use, in Nigeria or outside Nigeria. You will succeed!! If you don't you will fail, even if you are outside Nigeria.

Not everybody will japa, for some of us who will remain here. The goal should be to plan well and put to good use all the resources available to us.

The grass is not always greener at the other side o. Even those wey japa dey hustle o....

No go japa without a proper plan!!!
#FACT
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by Rubyjade: 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2022
wink
SMJay:
#FACT
Re: 7 Years Ago I Relocated To Canada �� By Emeka Nwarulor by SMJay: 5:50am On Dec 29, 2022

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mobil Producing Nigeria Trainee Accountant Interview / N N Fems Industries Limited (ozone) / Lambert Holding Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.