Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,758 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri (595 Views)

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Obi Plans To Stage-manage Fake Assassination Attempt – Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by leethebee: 4:50pm On Oct 07, 2022
Former presidential aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri, has picked holes in the economic manifesto of Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of Labour Party in the coming 2023 election.

Pastor Omokri, on Friday said the plans by Peter Obi to remove import restrictions if elected Nigeria’s president will end up destroying local manufacturers.

Peter Obi, in his manifesto, said thus:

“We will remove import and forex restrictions and insist on a single forex market. The current system penalizes exporters who bring in forex by forcing them to sell at a rate that they are unable to source for forex when they need to purchase forex.”

Also in a series of tweets, Peter Obi said his top priorities on getting to office should he emerge Nigeria’s president are “production-centered growth for food security and export, security and uniting Nigeria and effective legal and institutional reforms (Rule of law and government effectiveness).”

Can Peter Obi win the 2023 Presidential Election? BET NOW on www.naijabet.com

However, Pastor Omokri, who is a bestseller author, said Obi’s economic plans would rather favour importers to the detriment of local manufacturers.

He said thus: “Now, let us interrogate this policy on its merit.

“Peter Obi, who is the single largest individual importer in Nigeria, wants to remove “import restrictions.” Yet, this is the same man that wants to “move Nigeria from consumption to production”? Removing import restriction favours traders, like Obi, but destroys local manufacturing!

“Take Dangote Tomato Paste factory in Kano. If you remove import restrictions, as Obi proposes, his company, Next Cash and Carry, will be able to import cheaper tomato paste from Italy, which will force Dangote Tomato out of business and make thousands of Nigerians he employs unemployed.

“No developed nation grew to the point where they are by removing import restrictions, as Peter Obi proposes. Such policies only favour traders, like Obi, who only import and sell. A nation can’t grow like that. We must restrict imports so local manufacturers can grow!

“Obi’s plan to remove import restrictions will only favour traders, like him. But it will completely destroy the textile industry in Kaduna and Kano, and the manufacturing sector in Ikeja, Lagos, and Agbara, Ogun State. Nigeria must produce and not import what we can produce!

“If you remove import restrictions, people, like Peter Obi, whose only motives are quick money, will import champagne from France, whiskey from Scotland, and caviar from Russia. We will end up dissipating our foreign exchange on things Nigeria does not need, because traders want to make profit.

“Notice how I have analysed Peter Obi’s policy of removing import restrictions, so traders can import willy nilly and sell to Nigerians. Notice how I gave examples. Observe that my points are factual. Now, read the comments and see how Obidients fail to rebut my facts, but instead insult me. Then make up your mind.”

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
Fully regarded
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Akacollins7: 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
H
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by successmatters(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2022
grin

Reno Omokri, your mates bought presidential forms and are competing, your own destiny is to find faults from excellent people.

You are just there waiting for Peter Obi to raise a good idea, then you will infuse your negative thoughts on it to give yourself any form of relevance.

Shame on you.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by mrvitalis(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2022
Mr. Peter Obi released a brilliant seven points agenda which was brilliant and inline with latest economic developmental principles ...lots of APC/PDP
quack economics who know absolutely nothing about developmental economics picked on the part where obi said he would "remove import and Forex restrictions " ... saying it would kill the economy

I laugh because that's a primitive way of thinking , and I'm not surprised that's APC way of thinking and have guided there policies since 2015 reason the economy has failed woefully ... protective economy policy never works for anyone let alone a country like ours that cant man our borders effectively

Let me use rice ( a product we all can relate to ) as an example , the APC government banned rice importation into Nigeria hoping with would help local rice farming grow but it's been 7 years and you can go to your local market it's Obvious local rice is less than 10% of rice in the market , so even with the ban foreign rice still enter our market ...we have lost all the revenue that we would have gotten if we allowed importation ...

The solution and what Peter Obi proposing is simple ...since the rice price has stabilized by the market forces at around 35k to 40k for foreign rice which means land cost ( the cost of getting the rice and smuggling it into Nigeria ) is around 30k to 35k ...price of rice internationally is around 450 dollars that's around 16k per bag say 18k plus shipping ... which means we can tax rice importers 15,000 per bag of imported rice ...with Nigeria rice importation said to be 40 million bags per year ..that would give us ...that would give us 600 billion in revenue ...yes APC government has been losing 600 billion yearly

Now with 600 billion war chest you can then begin to tackle the fundamental reasons why Nigerian rice can't compete with imported rice even tho we have cheaper labour and cheaper land ...which is mostly availability of quality seeds for planting , availability of farming and harvesting equipments , access to land for new intending farmers ... processing facilities and most importantly development of rice field clusters

With 100 billion yearly invested in 4 years we can have improved seeds available to every farmer that would guarantee minimum of 6 tons and land uses twice to three times yearly ...up from 1.5 tons once yearly we do now ...the rice farmer can harvest 10 times more from the same land area ...with would significantly reduce his unit cost giving him room to compete ...the idea is to make it possible for local farmers to sale local rice at 15k a bag and still make loads of profit ....

if the quality of the local rice is the same or at least 90% as good as the imported rice and the rice is half of the imported rice believe me rice importation would die a natural death

This is my take and I hope it helps you understand that removing trade restrictions and proper use of the revenue generated would help develop the economy and strengthen local industries

9 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by goshikid: 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2022
Reno go finish Obidient Even before election day cheesy
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Kingozymandias(m): 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2022
Watch Tinubu supporters come here crying salty tears with support Reno.. grin

Dumb bunch of nonentities grin
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Urheadmaster(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2022
goshikid:
Reno go finish Obidient Even before election day cheesy

Urchins Push and Start candidate no even sure if he is going to make it till the day of the general elections in Nigeria undecided
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by MikeBetty(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2022
Reno again? Unleashed attack bingo
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by OsunOriginal: 5:10pm On Oct 07, 2022
leethebee:
Former presidential aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri, has picked holes in the economic manifesto of Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of Labour Party in the coming 2023 election.

Pastor Omokri, on Friday said the plans by Peter Obi to remove import restrictions if elected Nigeria’s president will end up destroying local manufacturers.

Peter Obi, in his manifesto, said thus:

“We will remove import and forex restrictions and insist on a single forex market. The current system penalizes exporters who bring in forex by forcing them to sell at a rate that they are unable to source for forex when they need to purchase forex.”

Also in a series of tweets, Peter Obi said his top priorities on getting to office should he emerge Nigeria’s president are “production-centered growth for food security and export,
security and uniting Nigeria and effective legal and institutional reforms (Rule of law and government effectiveness).”

Can Peter Obi win the 2023 Presidential Election? BET NOW on www.naijabet.com

However, Pastor Omokri, who is a bestseller author, said Obi’s economic plans would rather favour importers to the detriment of local manufacturers.

He said thus: “Now, let us interrogate this policy on its merit.

“Peter Obi, who is the single largest individual importer in Nigeria, wants to remove “import restrictions.” Yet, this is the same man that wants to “move Nigeria from consumption to production”? Removing import restriction favours traders, like Obi, but destroys local manufacturing!

“Take Dangote Tomato Paste factory in Kano. If you remove import restrictions, as Obi proposes, his company, Next Cash and Carry, will be able to import cheaper tomato paste from Italy, which will force Dangote Tomato out of business and make thousands of Nigerians he employs unemployed.

“No developed nation grew to the point where they are by removing import restrictions, as Peter Obi proposes. Such policies only favour traders, like Obi, who only import and sell. A nation can’t grow like that. We must restrict imports so local manufacturers can grow!

“Obi’s plan to remove import restrictions will only favour traders, like him. But it will completely destroy the textile industry in Kaduna and Kano, and the manufacturing sector in Ikeja, Lagos, and Agbara, Ogun State. Nigeria must produce and not import what we can produce!

“If you remove import restrictions, people, like Peter Obi, whose only motives are quick money, will import champagne from France, whiskey from Scotland, and caviar from Russia. We will end up dissipating our foreign exchange on things Nigeria does not need, because traders want to make profit.

“Notice how I have analysed Peter Obi’s policy of removing import restrictions, so traders can import willy nilly and sell to Nigerians. Notice how I gave examples. Observe that my points are factual. Now, read the comments and see how Obidients fail to rebut my facts, but instead insult me. Then make up your mind.”

I couldn't agree more Pastor... If Obi does not know the two bolded statements are contradictory and in our case mutually exclusive, why should any serious-minded person read the trash he called his manifesto?

Obi is not competent and his view of the country's problems is annoyingly simplistic.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Christistruth00: 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2022
Peter Obi doesn’t understand Developmental Economics

It is Container importation Economics he knows
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by omenka(m): 5:26pm On Oct 07, 2022
successmatters:
grin

Reno Omokri, your mates bought presidential forms and are competing, your own destiny is to find faults from excellent people.

You are just there waiting for Peter Obi to raise a good idea, then you will infuse your negative thoughts on it to give yourself any form of relevance.

Shame on you.

His last paragraph was for Zombiedients like you..

8 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by mystery22: 5:27pm On Oct 07, 2022
This clown again.
A Deadbeat dad and houseboy to his second wife
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by mycar: 5:37pm On Oct 07, 2022
Reno is so dumb, this election has exposed him. challenge an intelligent person makes one look foolish. Reno should know who to challenge
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Validated: 6:09pm On Oct 07, 2022
Reno is confused about what is meant by removing import restriction and port bottlenecks. What % of chemicals and raw materials do we import? Reno knows not, even as a former presidential media man.

Reno and his likes do not understand that about 80% of raw material for industrial goods and over 90% of our spares and machinery supplies are imported. Many of our production capacities have been halted because the organisation lacks spates and raw materials.

Import bottlenecks pushed Dunlop, Guinness, and several businesses to relocate to Ghana.
Reno abd his co-traveller are only focused on imported finished goods.

Again, Obi talks of ending multiple exchange regime, but these
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by obidr(m): 6:33pm On Oct 07, 2022
OsunOriginal:

I couldn't agree more Pastor... If Obi does not know the two bolded statements are contradictory and in our case mutually exclusive, why should any serious-minded person read the trash he called his manifesto?

Obi is not competent and his view of the country's problems is annoyingly simplistic.

Agbado Urchin spotted. It is only Peter Obi who cares about you. This is what the elites thinks of your kind.

(1) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo Does Not Deserve To Clean Dele Momodu Shoes / Bus Drivers Not Attacked, Says MC Oluomo / BREAKING: Over 6,000 APC Members Decamp To PDP In Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.